Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,646 members, 7,801,878 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:25 AM

Toyota Highlander Transmission Problem - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Toyota Highlander Transmission Problem (14133 Views)

Rav4 2007 V6 Transmission Problem / Volkswagen Golf MK 4 Automatic Transmission Problem / Murano Transmission Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Toyota Highlander Transmission Problem by Nobody: 12:30am On Jul 08, 2013
I have problem with my Toyota highlander 2007 auto transmission.Initial it moved forward but sluggish in reverse.I took it to a gear guy and he said the transmission couldnt be repaired because the whole stuff is grounded into tiny metals inside the gear box. He suggested I changed the transmission from 13 pin module to 10 pin., but when It was done there was no improvement, eventually it stopped moving altogether. The transmission and the ECU was scanned but no abnormality discovered according to the technician. It was suggested I changed back to 13 pin module. What could have been the problem? Auxiliary gear ? ABS? and where can I get competent and reliable technician who could fix it.
Thanks
Re: Toyota Highlander Transmission Problem by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:26am On Jul 08, 2013
You were conned and he stole your money there was no need to change the ECU
He should have started by changing the gearbox oil may be two times and see any change, since he had said things have been grounded inside why did he suggest changing of ECU the only reason was to milk money from you

For now check the level of the transmission oil ATF if it is low top it up try the gears if the gears are engaging then drive for 15mins then drain the old oil and put new oil

ABS got nothing to do with transmission failure, even the auxiliary gear
If what i said doesnt work get a proper mechanic who knows how to fix automatic transmissions if not,find another gearbox

3 Likes

Re: Toyota Highlander Transmission Problem by Nobody: 10:07am On Jul 08, 2013
Oga sir, sorry about your highlander palava, but pls answer these questions. What type of transmission system is your car using (is it front wheel drive 4wd, or a hybrid), what did you do to trigger this gearbox/transmission issue, did you change the gearbox oil, prior to this incidence of gearbox malfunction was the gear skipping or jerking or was it gear changes rough, do your gear level indicator light blink in your instrument panel, do you see check engine light, do your ATF light indicator shows in your instrument panel? Pls answer these questions so we can properly help u out. As for that THIEF who suggest replacing your ECU pls run quickly from him. Do have a great day and stay blessed.
MIKE
Re: Toyota Highlander Transmission Problem by earthrealm(m): 1:52pm On Jul 08, 2013
zimdrill has said it all..change the transmission first..[not with abro]...but with original Toyota atf.thats the first approach...and he shud wash the filter mesh thoroughly with petrol.......he has conned u............by 10 and 13 pin...it means u bought a new transmission? ..na waoh!..crazy thieveing mechanics
Re: Toyota Highlander Transmission Problem by Nobody: 6:46am On Jul 09, 2013
Thanks so much my brothers.
The history of the whole scenario started in this fashion, I usual buy vehicles from carmax via a friend in usa to sell in nigeria.There was a time i saw an highlander 07 on craigslist for 9900 dollars it was like a mint with 94k mileage on it,i eventually bought the vehicle without checking the vehicle history.It was shipped via roro. The clearing agent who cleared it from the port though told me that the reverse was sluggish somehow.It was when he eventually brought it home that i observed that i cant reversed smoothly against gradient but moved forward pretty well on any terrain. That was how issue of changing the gearbox from 13 to 10 pin came about.After the transmission was changed i observed that for the vehicle to reverse i have to engage first in drive and later in reverse before it could move, with this i knew nobody will buy this vehicle on my lot . I want solution now, it cost me 207000 naira to bring in this highlander.

lomomike: Oga sir, sorry about your highlander palava, but pls answer these questions. What type of transmission system is your car using (is it front wheel drive 4wd, or a hybrid), what did you do to trigger this gearbox/transmission issue, did you change the gearbox oil, prior to this incidence of gearbox malfunction was the gear skipping or jerking or was it gear changes rough, do your gear level indicator light blink in your instrument panel, do you see check engine light, do your ATF light indicator shows in your instrument panel? Pls answer these questions so we can properly help u out. As for that THIEF who suggest replacing your ECU pls run quickly from him. Do have a great day and stay blessed.
MIKE

Thank you sir for your concern
1.AWD
2.I didnt do anything to it, other than the history i stated above.{it had history of transmission being serviced once in usa} It was after i brought it home from the port and was performing badly that I was advised by my technician to changed its gear from 13 pin to 13 pin module.
3. ATF didnt show
Re: Toyota Highlander Transmission Problem by ZIMDRILL(m): 8:43am On Jul 09, 2013
malmo: Thanks so much my brothers.
The history of the whole scenario started in this fashion, I usual buy vehicles from carmax via a friend in usa to sell in nigeria.There was a time i saw an highlander 07 on craigslist for 9900 dollars it was like a mint with 94k mileage on it,i eventually bought the vehicle without checking the vehicle history.It was shipped via roro. The clearing agent who cleared it from the port though told me that the reverse was sluggish somehow.It was when he eventually brought it home that i observed that i cant reversed smoothly against gradient but moved forward pretty well on any terrain. That was how issue of changing the gearbox from 13 to 10 pin came about.After the transmission was changed i observed that for the vehicle to reverse i have to engage first in drive and later in reverse before it could move, with this i knew nobody will buy this vehicle on my lot . I want solution now, it cost me 207000 naira to bring in this highlander.

Thank you sir for your concern
1.AWD
2.I didnt do anything to it, other than the history i stated above.{it had history of transmission being serviced once in usa} It was after i brought it home from the port and was performing badly that I was advised by my technician to changed its gear from 13 pin to 13 pin module.
3. ATF didnt show

ATF -- Automatic Transmission Fluid /gearbox oil for automatics
on average you wont know much about transmission history the best is to always do your own service the moment you get the car, this gives you a peace of mind since the oil coming out would tell you roughly when the service was done (based on colour and smell)

On changing the module, it was going to work if there was a code saying the old one had fried or died, this also proved that your mechanic doesnt know much about automatic gearbox and scanning car (OBDII), if he had scanned the car he was never going to make you change the module, roughly he wasnt going to pick up any code related to transmission meaning the module was fine and is fine, and the problem would be inside the gearbox/transmission and the 1st start would be checking the oil level top it up if it is low or service by draining the old one and putting new oil

Ditch Your technician, most mechanics is african dont know the inside of an automatic transmission, its complicated for them, the valves, servos, hydrolics,solenoids and then the Module/ECUaka brainbox is hard for them to understand worse they dont have scanners
Re: Toyota Highlander Transmission Problem by earthrealm(m): 12:13pm On Jul 09, 2013
if you can still get the old transmission..i wud advice u to get it, go to a new mechanic and start afresh..........though I believe for the car to hv been sold that cheap on CarMax...then something is really wrong....
most conversions done in Nigeria doesn't work..yet mechanics keep on recommending such ....

the 13pin was put there for a reason....the 10pin is slightly different....my belief is that the brainbox isn't communicating very well with the 10pin gearbox u installed.....so either going back to the original 13pin u removed or ordering a toks 13 pin tranny would be a better option.

since u import cars from the usa...u can buy a used tranny from usa [as I doubt if the mechanic woild still hv ur old tranny] and ship inside one of ur cars...tru container

above all..fill up with original tranny fluid designed for Toyota...not abro or seahorse!!!
Re: Toyota Highlander Transmission Problem by Nobody: 12:52pm On Jul 09, 2013
I bought it from craigslist.
Re: Toyota Highlander Transmission Problem by Nobody: 1:00pm On Jul 09, 2013
Brothers what I need now is a good technician ,who could save the situation.
Thanks
Re: Toyota Highlander Transmission Problem by sooperrescue(m): 1:25pm On Jul 09, 2013
go to oando Lube bay at Agege by capitol road junction. ask for Rapheal and they will solve the problem for you
Re: Toyota Highlander Transmission Problem by Nobody: 12:15am On Jul 10, 2013
sooper rescue: go to oando Lube bay at Agege by capitol road junction. ask for Rapheal and they will solve the problem for you
Thanks brother.I will appreciate it if the problem could be solved.
Re: Toyota Highlander Transmission Problem by Nobody: 8:40pm On Jul 11, 2013
sooper rescue: go to oando Lube bay at Agege by capitol road junction. ask for Rapheal and they will solve the problem for you
could you give me the fellow mobile phone number? thanks
Re: Toyota Highlander Transmission Problem by sooperrescue(m): 9:01pm On Jul 11, 2013
Re: Toyota Highlander Transmission Problem by Nobody: 6:04am On Jul 12, 2013
Thanks for the number.
sooper rescue: 08039493110[/quoteboard

May I add that I do see VSc, check engine light displayed on the dashboard

[quote author=sooper rescue]08039493110
d
lomomike: Oga sir, sorry about your highlander palava, but pls answer these questions. What type of transmission system is your car using (is it front wheel drive 4wd, or a hybrid), what did you do to trigger this gearbox/transmission issue, did you change the gearbox oil, prior to this incidence of gearbox malfunction was the gear skipping or jerking or was it gear changes rough, do your gear level indicator light blink in your instrument panel, do you see check engine light, do your ATF light indicator shows in your instrument panel? Pls answer these questions so we can properly help u out. As for that THIEF who suggest replacing your ECU pls run quickly from him. Do have a great day and stay blessed.
MIKE
Re: Toyota Highlander Transmission Problem by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jul 14, 2013
ZIM DRILL: You were conned and he stole your money there was no need to change the ECU
He should have started by changing the gearbox oil may be two times and see any change, since he had said things have been grounded inside why did he suggest changing of ECU the only reason was to milk money from you

For now check the level of the transmission oil ATF if it is low top it up try the gears if the gears are engaging then drive for 15mins then drain the old oil and put new oil

ABS got nothing to do with transmission failure, even the auxiliary gear
If what i said doesnt work get a proper mechanic who knows how to fix automatic transmissions if not,find another gearbox
sir,
Do you have a auto workshop?
Re: Toyota Highlander Transmission Problem by kingschild123(m): 2:59pm On Jul 14, 2013
Hard to tell now but sounds like your mechanic
botched your transfer case. I don't know if there
a way to prove it. Besides the leak you
transmission/transfer case were fine before the
repair. Transmission replacement is not an easy
DIY project but anything is doable as long as
you have the skills and equipment.
Re: Toyota Highlander Transmission Problem by LongeOmolaja(m): 10:42am On Jul 15, 2013
contact ARS for to find permanent solution to your vehicle issues 08164664444
Re: Toyota Highlander Transmission Problem by clemz85(m): 7:20pm On Jul 15, 2013
please i just want use this avenue to ask if any one can tell me the use and appropriate time to engage 'L' in auto drive? i guess i tried it wrongly as the car viberated when i engage it at below 30
Re: Toyota Highlander Transmission Problem by Nobody: 7:48pm On Jul 15, 2013
clemz85: please i just want use this avenue to ask if any one can tell me the use and appropriate time to engage 'L' in auto drive? i guess i tried it wrongly as the car viberated when i engage it at below 30
in Auto transmission, there are P for parking, N for neutral, R for reverse, D for normal driving, D2 and L are used to engage engine brakes to slow the car from higher speeds eg when coming down hilly roads. However, L gives a more powerful engine brakes thus the vibration felt.
Re: Toyota Highlander Transmission Problem by clemz85(m): 9:13pm On Jul 15, 2013
oh! i believe you, that exactly how it felt (as if dragging). so does that mean my gear box could have a minor issue? since 'D' ceases after the engine is heated i've been using 'D2' and it drives normal though i don't rev beyond 2 in rpm
Re: Toyota Highlander Transmission Problem by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:19pm On Jul 15, 2013
malmo:
sir,
Do you have a auto workshop?

yes but am in UK
Re: Toyota Highlander Transmission Problem by Nobody: 11:03pm On Jul 15, 2013
I was told again that 13 pin auto gear for Toyota Highlander is very delicate to handle and that the best option for me now is 10 pin.looking for a technician who is familiar with this technicalities.
Re: Toyota Highlander Transmission Problem by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:33pm On Jul 15, 2013
malmo: I was told again that 13 pin auto gear for Toyota Highlander is very delicate to handle and that the best option for me now is 10 pin.looking for a technician who is familiar with this technicalities.

thats a lie

have you scanned the car ?

a module can only be changed if it has been scanned to be faulty, corrupt or fried, and it should be of the same pins
Re: Toyota Highlander Transmission Problem by earthrealm(m): 8:10am On Jul 16, 2013
pls no mind them o..this their 10pin and 13 pin issue.......oyibo wey put 13pin in the car...are they fools?.
my advice to you is...if you can wait, order the 13 pin gearbox urself from usa and take it to a reputable firm to install for you.

I think that the 13pin tranny is difficult for most mechanics to install..thats why they always advice peeps to buy 10pin and modify.
all these their kuru kere modifications doesn't always work out right

2 Likes

Re: Toyota Highlander Transmission Problem by Nobody: 9:44pm On Jul 16, 2013
I would have import it but for the issue of installation,so that they wont mess up with.someone finally provided seemly better option: to get a Ladipo auto gear dealer to come and install the 13 pin gear by their technicians and once it works their bills will be paid. I think this is better option. I am even thinking of selling as it is, but any other suggestions are welcome.

3 Likes

Re: Toyota Highlander Transmission Problem by sooperrescue(m): 8:48pm On Jul 19, 2013
Have u called the guy at agege? Rapheal
Re: Toyota Highlander Transmission Problem by Nobody: 11:43pm On Jul 19, 2013
i did but I felt the best option is to have Ladipo boys to bring the gear and mount it themselves, that will save me un-necessary anxiety of whether it will work or not.That is my feeling. I learnt the 13 pin module is a very sensitive gear and any mishandling could trigger off problem.
Re: Toyota Highlander Transmission Problem by sooperrescue(m): 5:28pm On Jul 20, 2013
Make sure they use the real oil. WS

1 Like

Re: Toyota Highlander Transmission Problem by Uncleodi(m): 12:13pm On Mar 24, 2015
Jeez. This is exact problem my 07 camry developed last weekend. A gear dealer is telling me to change if from 13 pin 10 pin which is cheaper.

I am so confused, don't know if it will work if I change to the lesser pin
Re: Toyota Highlander Transmission Problem by bravolad(m): 12:53pm On Mar 24, 2015
Uncleodi:
Jeez. This is exact problem my 07 camry developed last weekend. A gear dealer is telling me to change if from 13 pin 10 pin which is cheaper.

I am so confused, don't know if it will work if I change to the lesser pin

I take it you did not read through this thread before posting this question.

I really wonder why some people always put themselves in trouble and begin to seek solutions afterwards.

It would be foolhardy to listen to a mechanic who neither understands the onwer's manual of a car nor the workings of the internal components.

(1) (2) (Reply)

6 Advantages Of Over Speeding (counter Thread) / Jaguar Unveil It's 1st Ever Electric Car,The 395bhp I-Pace With A 298-Mile Range / 71% Federal Roads Now Motorable – FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.