Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:43 AM

Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) - Fashion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) (33801 Views)

Weird Things Some Nigerian Ladies Do Just To Have Big & Firm Boobs / Fashion Trends That Rocked 2014 / What Are The Current Nigerian Fashion Trends? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by dominique(f): 9:14am On Jul 11, 2013
aniiii: I KNOW RIGHT !!!

#1 is the most shocking and intriguing of them all.

People suffered due to what was deemed aesthetic at the time cry

The lip plate and feet binding is the most shocking to me o. I've actually watched a documentary on the feet binding thingy, the little girl's feet is literally broken and forced into those tiny shoes. Talk about torture in the name of fashion cry
Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by Nobody: 9:16am On Jul 11, 2013
Mehn! That was not nice to see. Anyway the "neck elongation" thing is still current. Will post the link to a Youtube vid on it when I can take the time to find it.

And yeah, however disgusting we find it now, if we were born in those eras and those cultures, we would take pride in them. We'd be one of those called crazy if we didn't. Funny how it s such people that change the trends. smiley
Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by Lilimax(f): 9:41am On Jul 11, 2013
Weird fashion indeed!
Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by nacotic(m): 9:54am On Jul 11, 2013
D next generation wld probably laf at our pencil jeans, fitted clothes, brazilian weavons n colour blocking we call swag now, m sure u guyz avnt 4gotn early 2000s wen if u dnt "POE" ( a kind of hoping wit one leg while walkn) u no follow lmao

1 Like

Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by Nobody: 9:57am On Jul 11, 2013
___
Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by iykofias(m): 9:59am On Jul 11, 2013
Tnx aniiii 4 such a creative thread_dias notin as coming across a mindblowing piece like dis. Tnx once more

1 Like

Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by iykofias(m): 10:14am On Jul 11, 2013
I wil choose to loose ma foots than to seal dat wide plate on my lips,or am I nt ugly enuf?
Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by Abee79(m): 10:45am On Jul 11, 2013
Nice post. It should be updated to include sagging grin

2 Likes

Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by eightsin(m): 10:48am On Jul 11, 2013
Thank God I wasn't born in those era.
Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by purplekayc(m): 11:08am On Jul 11, 2013
Their have been some really stupid beliefs in the past , it hurts just looking @ these pics
Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by Artlove(m): 11:53am On Jul 11, 2013
eightsin: Thank God I wasn't born in those era.
But u were dere before dem reborn u again grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by amiskurie(m): 1:28pm On Jul 11, 2013
aniiii: Neck Rings

In certain African and Asian cultures neck rings are worn to assist a woman’s matrimonial chances. Girls as young as two were fitted with spiraled metal coils, and these were gradually increased, some by as much as twenty turns.

The neck doesn’t elongate of course. That’s called execution by hanging and as such is not a very effective fashion trend. What happens is the weight of the collar depresses the collar bone and ribs down to a position forty five degrees below what is normal. cry

see me see wahala o!.
are those women giraffes?
Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jul 11, 2013
ive watched a documentary on d lip-plate people. the people of this clan,tribe which exists in Southern Africa actually drink fresh cow blood as a delicacy. they kill goat to tell fortunes. and yes the bigger ur lip plate, the mow cows ud get as bride price.

they also have this weird tradition of war and getting bloodied for capturing a woman's affection.

THEY STILL EXIST!
Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by pianogirl(f): 3:20pm On Jul 11, 2013
yinkaGreen: ive watched a documentary on d lip-plate people. the people of this clan,tribe which exists in Southern Africa actually drink fresh cow blood as a delicacy. they kill goat to tell fortunes. and yes the bigger ur lip plate, the mow cows ud get as bride price.

they also have this weird tradition of war and getting bloodied for capturing a woman's affection.

THEY STILL EXIST!
Chineke m eeeee....In this 21st century?Lord have mercy!!! #faints#
Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by Austeenxx: 3:37pm On Jul 11, 2013
I like the wigs. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by vivaciousvivi(f): 4:11pm On Jul 11, 2013
Holy Mo!!!
shocked What is with the foot binding ish??
The Lip brace and necklace I have heard and seen pictures of in the past, but this foot stuff, is just something else!
Wait....did you say these were "fashion" ?

1 Like

Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jul 11, 2013
Wow...this is all i can say
Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:27pm On Jul 11, 2013
shymexx: I fuxx with the Egyptians - they were trendsetters.

However those mofos with gaddemn plates in their mouths must be waiting for manna from heaven.

Where they do that at? - fixing plates permanently in their mouths and shyte.

Those people must be from somewhere in the horn of Africa. undecided undecided

South SUdan. THey still do it.

100% of SOuth SUdanese have tribal marks, scarification, tooth cleavage (among the Murle) and lip plates among those tribes that must do it.

President Salva Kiir Mayardit himself has forehead tribal marks.
Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:31pm On Jul 11, 2013
yinkaGreen: ive watched a documentary on d lip-plate people. the people of this clan,tribe which exists in Southern Africa actually drink fresh cow blood as a delicacy. they kill goat to tell fortunes. and yes the bigger ur lip plate, the mow cows ud get as bride price.

THEY STILL EXIST!

DUDE STFU! Im sure you are not even African.

first of all, the lip plate practice is done by certain tribes in SOuth Sudan and Ethiopia border. not SOUTH AFRICA

and drinking of fresh cow blood is done in Masaai Mara, Kenya, by Masaai and Samburu ethnic groups, which is in East Africa. they do it because they need a source of protein and they can't afford to kill their precious cows. so every morning, they just make a small cut on a different cow, extract the blood, and then stitch it back on so it heals.

They then get their proteins from the blood without losing the cow.

and getting flogged and bloodied is done by Fulani tribesmen across the SAhel.

so stop mixing up the different tribes.

*ignorants.
Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by Nobody: 5:36pm On Jul 11, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

DUDE STFU! Im sure you are not even African.

first of all, the lip plate practice is done by certain tribes in SOuth Sudan and Ethiopia border. not SOUTH AFRICA

and drinking of fresh cow blood is done in Masaai Mara, Kenya, by Masaai and Samburu ethnic groups, which is in East Africa. they do it because they need a source of protein and they can't afford to kill their precious cows. so every morning, they just make a small cut on a different cow, extract the blood, and then stitch it back on so it heals.

They then get their proteins from the blood without losing the cow.

and getting flogged and bloodied is done by Fulani tribesmen across the SAhel.

so stop mixing up the different tribes.

*ignorants.

i do apologise for the error in what tribe .. was quite sure its a southern part of sumwhere in Africa. which is why i said "southern". however, the part where i mentioned that they drink cow blood is actually correct.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ba9_1365199651

seeing is believing.

But because u were so eager to counter me , u only read thru wikipedia and limited ur scope.

then again, fulanis receiving some form of flogging to prove they r worthy of their bride... my sentence was/is "they go to some form of war or bloodied fight to ATTRACT a woman's attention".

u need to pay attention to details Mister I-KNOW-IT-BETTER-THAN-YOU.

Lastly, I am Yoruba and a female mr dumbo-jumbo. if u try correcting someone next tym, do it in a courteous way. Mchewwww. angry

1 Like

Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by SPSpecial(m): 8:59pm On Jul 11, 2013
Common! this is not fashion atal. It is certainly a punishments they are did to themselves due to ignorance. I still like that of Japanese hairstyle.... But i no v gree do it....... Ni bo niyen ti fe sele
Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:10pm On Jul 11, 2013
yinkaGreen:

i do apologise for the error in what tribe .. was quite sure its a southern part of sumwhere in Africa. which is why i said "southern". however, the part where i mentioned that they drink cow blood is actually correct.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ba9_1365199651

seeing is believing.

But because u were so eager to counter me , u only read thru wikipedia and limited ur scope.

then again, fulanis receiving some form of flogging to prove they r worthy of their bride... my sentence was/is "they go to some form of war or bloodied fight to ATTRACT a woman's attention".

u need to pay attention to details Mister I-KNOW-IT-BETTER-THAN-YOU.

Lastly, I am Yoruba and a female mr dumbo-jumbo. if u try correcting someone next tym, do it in a courteous way. Mchewwww. angry

I dont care for wikipedia. I have friends from these places and have seen these practices.
Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by Nobody: 11:12pm On Jul 11, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

I dont care for wikipedia. I have friends from these places and have seen these practices.

well, good for you but u have to admit even having friends in the 4 cardinals of the earth does not mean u have complete knowledge of the earth.

My work is done *continues iftar*

1 Like

Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:01pm On Jul 12, 2013
yinkaGreen:

well, good for you but u have to admit even having friends in the 4 cardinals of the earth does not mean u have complete knowledge of the earth.

My work is done *continues iftar*

I speak only of what Im aware and knowledgable of as in this case. continue your starving for an Arab God.
Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by Nobody: 1:55pm On Jul 12, 2013
yinka whatever ,please I beg u stop commenting you are spamming the forum with dumb posts after dumb posts must you comment for the sake of it? na waa oooo.

Thanks pagan for putting her to order.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5 Inexpensive Ways To Spice Up Your Wardrobe / Different Ways Of Rocking Your Ankara Crop Top (photos) / Amazing Weight Loss Transformation Of A Plus-Sized Lady

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.