Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,375 members, 7,800,749 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:33 AM

Pensioners Protesting In Front Of Unity Bank Building, Abuja - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pensioners Protesting In Front Of Unity Bank Building, Abuja (5670 Views)

Shettima At Borno Investment Building Abuja For Inspection (Photos) / Disabled Men And Women Protesting In PH Now / Bomb Blast Alert In Nnpc Building Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pensioners Protesting In Front Of Unity Bank Building, Abuja by FoxyRebirth(m): 11:49am On Jul 08, 2013
Just left the office right now to check for the young man selling ekpa (groundnut) and buy a packet of sugar (garri things) when I was met with the sight of pensioners protesting non-payment of their pensions. They held different placards and had even caused a little traffic on the CBD Road, the one leading towards NNPC towers and Bank of Industry building.

I was shocked at the different things I read on the placards being displayed. Well, as at the time I went downstairs for my purchase, I was not with my phone so I am going back downstairs to take me some pictures. Which I will upload soonest, but if there is any Nairalander down there that had taken pictures, the person can please upload it.

SOURCE: Eye Witness
Re: Pensioners Protesting In Front Of Unity Bank Building, Abuja by Nobody: 11:56am On Jul 08, 2013
cry
Re: Pensioners Protesting In Front Of Unity Bank Building, Abuja by FoxyRebirth(m): 1:04pm On Jul 08, 2013
Well, I went down there to do some free lancing journalism, lol!! I asked no question, just took a strategic position close to a lady that sells recharge card, asked her to give me recharge card and from there proceeded to take shots of the protests.

The policemen were all looking at me with this kinda, "I hope you aint doing what we are thinking" and me I was like "O God, I'm scared, don't wanna come see you cause some trigger happy policeman liked me".

Well, enough of the tension, I got what I want, crossed the road and took shots of the banking complex itself.

The pictures might look blur, ehn, I'm using a Nokia phone and not the reigning smartphones.

Have a happy hour debating.

2 Likes

Re: Pensioners Protesting In Front Of Unity Bank Building, Abuja by FoxyRebirth(m): 1:08pm On Jul 08, 2013
Another important thing I did not mention is that right now there is no operation going on in the bank. The whole staffs are outside and discussing the issue. Policemen too are standing guard to make sure there is no breakdown in law and order but tell me, what can an old man who is looking for his pension and a means of survival do?

Well, they are awaiting further instructions from their Oga at the Top.

Could not get close enough because of those mean looking policemen. And for heaven sake, there were no pressmen present!!!

Re: Pensioners Protesting In Front Of Unity Bank Building, Abuja by FoxyRebirth(m): 1:17pm On Jul 08, 2013
Moderators, front page please
Re: Pensioners Protesting In Front Of Unity Bank Building, Abuja by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jul 08, 2013
why protest outside a bank?

PDP govt since 1999 is heartless
Re: Pensioners Protesting In Front Of Unity Bank Building, Abuja by FoxyRebirth(m): 2:11pm On Jul 08, 2013
GenBuhari: why protest outside a bank?

PDP govt since 1999 is heartless

cry cry cry
Re: Pensioners Protesting In Front Of Unity Bank Building, Abuja by FoxyRebirth(m): 10:26am On Jul 09, 2013
Todays Update!!!

Funny enough, the bank is still closed today, not really in the mood to take pictures but from all indications, all the workers are taking sides with the pensioners.

The men protesting are old staffs of Unity Bank that have not been paid their pensions for years. Some of them have died coming for their pensions.

Please, if there is any Nairalander close to NNPC Towers or Unity Bank Towers, the person should take the pictures of the men because one can clearly see suffering showing on their face.

This seems to be between the pensioners and the bank but police, mopols and men of the Nigeria Army (Defence College is just a stone throw) can be seen observing what is happening.

Pictures please.
Re: Pensioners Protesting In Front Of Unity Bank Building, Abuja by ekea2001: 11:56am On Jul 09, 2013
Where's Maina today. embarassed
Re: Pensioners Protesting In Front Of Unity Bank Building, Abuja by PStacks(m): 11:57am On Jul 09, 2013
Yes! Its a welcomed protest. People should fight for their rights!
Things must work like they should in this country.

One man steals pension money ment for a whole lot of old folks and u say people fear God in Nigeria.

We don't fear God, we are just deceiving ourselves ni o jar.

Pensioners die on long unending ques for mere stipends or peanuts handed them after more than 35 years of meritorious service..
One man eats pension that is ment for a whole lot, that is Share wickedness, its the height of crorruption! The fuel that powers our economy in Nigeria..

Let the pensioners do their thing.
Its a welcome development.
Re: Pensioners Protesting In Front Of Unity Bank Building, Abuja by Goldenheart(m): 12:03pm On Jul 09, 2013
To think Someone up dere is sitting on the Money ppls money. Justice !!!!
Re: Pensioners Protesting In Front Of Unity Bank Building, Abuja by FoxyRebirth(m): 12:10pm On Jul 09, 2013
I am taking my profile picture off for discreet reasons.

Since the protest started yesterday, there had been no operation going on in the bank. The place is clogged with cars who came for transactions. Ironically, some of the staffs follow through the car park behind, jumped the fence this morning just to go and drop their bags.

I came in this morning as early as 5:00 am (well, not exaggerating) to meet the steady stream of old men trooping in. The aboki selling cardboard papers had been making sales cos the pensioners kept patronizing him.

God, I really wish the management of the bank will do something because this is not a usual sight in this part of town.
Re: Pensioners Protesting In Front Of Unity Bank Building, Abuja by Nobody: 12:12pm On Jul 09, 2013
Foxy_Rebirth:

cry cry cry
So you were not aware of the man that stole pensioners money and bailed himself?
Re: Pensioners Protesting In Front Of Unity Bank Building, Abuja by FoxyRebirth(m): 12:15pm On Jul 09, 2013
olas2u:
So you were not aware of the man that stole pensioners money and bailed himself?

I am very much aware, just thinking, what if the people who are sitting on this money had been the one in the shoes of this pensioners, how would it have been?

This is not a PDP/Jonathan affair, it is an affair with the old generation bank. Why not clear the pensions once and for all.

And to think that an old man held a placard that read....

[size=20pt]"Unity Bank embezzled our 56.6 billion Naira"[/size]
Re: Pensioners Protesting In Front Of Unity Bank Building, Abuja by Lordave: 12:17pm On Jul 09, 2013
Let me get a friend from Reiz to know the situation
Re: Pensioners Protesting In Front Of Unity Bank Building, Abuja by yang(m): 12:20pm On Jul 09, 2013
Dem don taya ni. . . . To protest under hot sun no easy o, especially for a grand father. The next thing we go hear now na verification
Re: Pensioners Protesting In Front Of Unity Bank Building, Abuja by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jul 09, 2013
why did you put your real picture in the first place?
Re: Pensioners Protesting In Front Of Unity Bank Building, Abuja by FoxyRebirth(m): 12:24pm On Jul 09, 2013
careytommy: why did you put your real picture in the first place?

To get the ladies....

Now can we stop derailing?
angry
Re: Pensioners Protesting In Front Of Unity Bank Building, Abuja by vizboy(m): 12:25pm On Jul 09, 2013
the bank should kindly do something about these
Re: Pensioners Protesting In Front Of Unity Bank Building, Abuja by vizboy(m): 12:27pm On Jul 09, 2013
careytommy: why did you put your real picture in the first place?
is there anything wrong in putting your real picture as your profile pix
Re: Pensioners Protesting In Front Of Unity Bank Building, Abuja by OmerianConsult: 12:28pm On Jul 09, 2013
These people die on the queue every year.
Re: Pensioners Protesting In Front Of Unity Bank Building, Abuja by Stone123(m): 12:35pm On Jul 09, 2013
...Government needs to address these ugly trend urgently...
Re: Pensioners Protesting In Front Of Unity Bank Building, Abuja by Nobody: 12:36pm On Jul 09, 2013
Na wao for Nigeria,,, see what pensioners are suffering Mtcheew
Re: Pensioners Protesting In Front Of Unity Bank Building, Abuja by Nobody: 12:56pm On Jul 09, 2013
What a criminal govt! Where is maina? My old woman is yet 2 get a dyme 4rm her pension after 15 years!
Re: Pensioners Protesting In Front Of Unity Bank Building, Abuja by Temismith(f): 12:58pm On Jul 09, 2013
Oga oo sad
Re: Pensioners Protesting In Front Of Unity Bank Building, Abuja by kaeto(m): 12:59pm On Jul 09, 2013
Rivers state house of assembly speaker has just been impeached.
Re: Pensioners Protesting In Front Of Unity Bank Building, Abuja by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jul 09, 2013
Gain admission without JAMB!
Anybody seeking for admission? follow this link to see the full details http://www.infotechz.tk/2013/07/gain-admission-without-jamb-delta-state.html
Re: Pensioners Protesting In Front Of Unity Bank Building, Abuja by FoxyRebirth(m): 1:21pm On Jul 09, 2013
Went out right now to get more pictures when I discovered the scene was changing from my office window. It seemed the staffs had been called into the bank.

Went down stairs and discovered that the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) had arrived.

Well, as usual, took a vintage position and took photos.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fired Staff Exposes KFC (pictured) / Politics, Governance and Economy: How Do These Affect IGR Of States? / Braking News Lie Mohammed Is Very Sick

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.