Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,355 members, 7,808,240 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:15 AM

Penhall Consulting For Review - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Penhall Consulting For Review (1468 Views)

Submit Your Website Url For Review, And Get Good Backlinks And Traffic / Post Your .com Website Here For Review, Traffic And Follow / POST -your- Website/blog- For- REVIEW (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Penhall Consulting For Review by Farriel(m): 12:31pm On May 23, 2006
Added finishing touches to this site and wanted to get some reviews on it. I did it in a rush, cos I'm over myself with the Enyimba project.

Address is http://www.penhall-consulting.com/
Re: Penhall Consulting For Review by kazey(m): 1:42pm On May 23, 2006
logo should be up. You used too many colours, the site doesnt follow a specific scheme, grey, blue, red, black,white name it. Or thats the idea? I think you should reduce the colors. Besides that its quiet ok.

The page layout is not consistent too for example the contact page.
Re: Penhall Consulting For Review by Farriel(m): 2:07pm On May 23, 2006
Well actually, the site's colour scheme is blue. I felt I used quite a lot of that, cos the client specified that the company's organizational colours were blue and black and he wanted that to be consistent with the site's feel, albeit subtly. Naturally, I strived to achieve that with different shades of blue, maybe it just didn't come off nicely, right?

I can't find red anywhere on any page, could it be the images used on some pages that creates the colour over-kill, Kazey? Would push logo up and see how it goes.
Re: Penhall Consulting For Review by kazey(m): 4:49pm On May 23, 2006
@prodgalson

When kazey says something, he knows what he is talking about. Thats all I got to say. If you have anything to say about his design just do that, and dont critic what I already said, because I think I know what I am talking about.
Re: Penhall Consulting For Review by my2cents(m): 6:50pm On May 23, 2006
Alright gang.,

Sorry for not being on earlier - I am actually at home taking a day off, having slipped on my staircase at home at 130am, which required 3 stitches to my upper lip and a 4 hr stay in the hospital. If I didn't love Nairaland and the fine web guys I have met on here, trust me, I would not be logging in grin

To the issue at hand:

Layout is good and color scheme is very biz-like. However, as you said, you did this in a rush and it shows. This site, though well done, is a primary example why quality assurance (aka QA or testing) should b a requirement in any organization and should be calculated in the estimate given the client. When people in naija tell me I charge too much money, I just laugh. They think that just because when I tell them I have headache and they say I should take panadol, that that automatically makes them a doctor. Some people have told me how they spend 3 days building a site. Pretty impressive. I take at least a month. A treat all the sites I make like a pretty woman - to b treated like an egg, to be handled with care. After all, my reputation is at stake smiley

Anyway, here goes my 2 cents (as always wink). By the way, if any of you guys out there can get a hold of "Don't make me think" by Steve Krug, it would help you tenfold. This is y prodgal and I really need to make our web workshop a reality :

- Kazey, as prodgal has said, I only c at most 3 colors.

- No "FAQ" and "case study" pages. If they are not available, don't include them

- No search form. No serious site goes without one

- Header on home page has an anchor tag (hand shows). Shdnt be the case

- As always, I wonder y most people there don't use naija faces on a naija website, esp something as sensitive as consulting business

- header looks funny on "contact us" page.

- photo of old man on home page, and on other pages I guess, should have caption at bottom in black, not grey which is sort of translucent.

- javascript and CSS (calm down, am not about to bore you with my zealotry for web standards LOL) should be made external files, not embedded. All that code, plus the fact that you're using tables, is adding serious weight to the pages.

All in all, you did well.

To all: Folks (including myself): QA is a big deal in any web/software development process. Research has shown that actual coding of a site/software should take 5% of your time. The other 95% should be directed towards thinking out the process right.

Sorry for the long post guys. But hey, in the end, hopefully we will all learn a thing or two smiley
Re: Penhall Consulting For Review by kazey(m): 6:58pm On May 23, 2006
All I read is english. I have said what I wanted to say and thats that, you guys can keep talking about what I have said, dont you have a contribution to make? Geez,

QA indeed,
Re: Penhall Consulting For Review by my2cents(m): 7:09pm On May 23, 2006
haba kayode. Ki lo de, ore mi? O o fe take slight yabbies? na wa o!

Anyway, we know all u read is english. In no way, assuming u were referring to my last post in particular, was I supporting one or the other. It could be that Farriel made the changes b/w the time u and prodgal/I took a look at it. It looks good to me. Then again, there are many ways to skin a cat smiley

Could it be you have had too much of that famed malaysian java to drink? U know what they say about caffeine right? No vex o! To me, its nothin but constructive criticism. We are all partners in crime here as far as I am concerned grin
Re: Penhall Consulting For Review by kazey(m): 8:00pm On May 23, 2006
Kayode said you should stick to the topic and his comment was meant for farriel, does that imply that he is angry? Goodness, whats up with you guys? Or is it something that I said that implied i was angry? Please let me know .
Re: Penhall Consulting For Review by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 9:50pm On May 23, 2006
hmmn, I have absolutely nothing to say about your site, infact I am demanding you stop building sites that look good. angry

I am contacting my ISP earliest to block all traffic coming from PH (I hope you are in PH).

How can you be encroaching on my market from lands afar-away. a potential client looked at it and asked if i did it. (yes, i did, over the weekend, I replied, "good, looks good."wink

One thing i did find upsetting is the pixel-size font you used on some sections, I cannot enlarge them using the browser's font settings. Maybe u should provide a tool to swap between three font sizes using CSS.

besides that, don't let me see you in Lagos ohh. (client-grabber)
Re: Penhall Consulting For Review by my2cents(m): 9:56pm On May 23, 2006
Kayode,

I think it is a mix b/w arrogance and anger. You might want to re-read your post. As I said, there are many ways to skin a cat. C the way I addressed the "text in photo" issue? I could have easily replied prodgal that "when my2cents says something, he knows what he means, " but I didn't. That is y I chose the username my2cents. In US parlance it means "my opinion". So I could be wrong, which is y i always use words like "probably, could be, might be, it is possible", etc.

"kazey may know what kazey says", but it could be wrong. Always good to be more of a listener and not a talker. You learn more that way.

Finally, please don't respond with the arrogance I have observed. Prodgal and I in particular have encountered such in the past and we dealt with it appropriately grin

Remember: when a child mistakes a potent herb for a vegetable, it is best that the child experience the backlash himself so that he doesn't repeat it next time. Also, when dark clouds gather, it usually signifies the coming of rain. A wise man at this point would then seek shelter immediately. To be fore-warned is to be fore-armed cool

Again, we are partners in crime. No need to let this get in the way of a good site review.
Re: Penhall Consulting For Review by my2cents(m): 9:58pm On May 23, 2006
larger,

better yet, maybe he should switch to a more fluid font structure, like % or pt grin
Re: Penhall Consulting For Review by kazey(m): 4:58am On May 24, 2006
@my2cents you got the wrong person to pick on, I would like to request a simple favour, since you and prodgal are twins, DONT CROSS MY PATH, try to ignore my existence, and PLEASE DONT INSULT ME, because you do not know me !!

And yes I am arrogant, Since telling you to help the guy with his site rather than critisizing what I said depicts that, then maybe I am guilty? I know my stuff and please let me be. When I say something, its based on what I know not what I dont know, and that does not imply I am trying to say I am the best, I am just trying to say that I know what I am saying and thats that.

I just hope you can grant me just that favour because I am not in the world of fighting for who is superior. I would really appreciate it. Thank you. I repeat you do not know me, so don't pretend you do.
Re: Penhall Consulting For Review by Farriel(m): 12:39pm On May 24, 2006
Ha, but it really shouldn't get to this now, should it?  undecided But all the same Kazey, my2cents, prodgalson, thanks all.

Larger, which one be that now? No do make I come Lagos oh!  cheesy. And how you go tell your the client say na you do am?  tongue You say that again and I'd be in Lagos ASAP,  wink

Would take logo up, would add search feature (which seems very unlikely  embarassed), would do something about fonts, and a lot more.
Re: Penhall Consulting For Review by my2cents(m): 4:05pm On May 24, 2006
Kazey,

Calm down. Take a sip of the kool-aid and rest for a while. I am not picking any fights with you or anyone for that matter. Just restructure how u speak online, cos unlike in person, pple cant read your emotions, thatz all am saying.

and thatz all I will say on this issue. I hereby am removing my notifications from this post.
Re: Penhall Consulting For Review by Zahymaka(m): 5:07pm On May 24, 2006
I've got only one comment. The design is overall good, although if you used more pastel tones [lighter shades], it has a calming effect.

Your contact us page has a form with alternating shades. I don't know how you feel about it but have you tried using your form controls within a fieldset and legend without any alternating colours -- just plain white.

I think it'd look better that way. I may of course, be wrong.
Re: Penhall Consulting For Review by Farriel(m): 1:05pm On May 26, 2006
Nice one. Would do something to it. And you know Zahymaka, I really felt the contact form having alternating shades was more of an overkill. Now that you've pointed it out to me, I'd do something.

(1) (Reply)

Jamb Website 2012 Registration Wahala! / Bloggers Without Approved Adsense / Does Google Have A New Logo?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.