Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,007 members, 7,799,447 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:30 PM

Why I Retired As Major-general — Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Retired As Major-general — Buhari (706 Views)

Throwback Pic Of Buhari When He Was Decorated As A Major General. / Why I Retired As Major General - Buhari / Why I Retired As Major- General - Buhari. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Retired As Major-general — Buhari by oloriooko(m): 8:39am On Jul 09, 2013
A former Head of State, Maj-Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (retd.) on Friday said he decided to retire with his current rank in 1985, to defend and promote the integrity of the military, instead of promoting himself.

Buhari said this at a public presentation of two books: “Nigerian military in politics: 1966-2011 and Politics of transition to civil rule in Nigeria” in Zaria, Kaduna State.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the books were published by Head of Political Science Department, Federal College Education, Zaria, Nuhu Ramalan

“It was the conviction of our regime that, being the Head of State and Commander-in-chief of the Armed Forces, does not mean that you are the overall General.

“My ultimate goal as at then was to ensure integrity, justice, equity, accountability and transparency in the system. That was why I did away with unnecessarily promoting myself to General,” he said.

Speaking on the military in politics, Buhari, the presidential candidate of the Congress for Progressive Change in the 2011 general elections, identified some weaknesses of the past military regimes to include corruption and abuse of office.

On politics, he said the incessant military interventions were due to the failure of politicians to respect the rule of law, “characterised by massive corruption and lack of accountability.”

The Chairman of the occasion and former Secretary-General of the defunct Peoples Redemption Party, Aliyu Umar, said the books would be resource materials in the study of Nigerian politics.

“The two books are reflection of the present Nigerian political scenario,” he said.

In a related development, Buhari has attributed ineffective leadership in the country to the inability of government to provide effective education for Nigerians.

According to the NAN, Buhari said this in Zaria on Saturday at a conference with the theme “Uniting our People for Change” organised by a group, Movement for a Better Future.

“The biggest problem of this ineffective leadership in Nigeria is education. If you deny people effective education, you have finished them.

“Education is a vital tool for human existence and development. God has given Nigeria both material and human resources but we have not used them effectively.

“We have failed to organise ourselves to harness these resources. We have been talking about Sardaunana (Ahmadu Bello), (Obafemi) Awolowo, (Nnamdi) Azikwe and Tafawa Balewa as great leaders; why can’t we emulate them?” Buhari asked.

In his remark, Governor Ra’uf Aregbesola of Osun State appealed to Nigerians to elect credible candidates into various elective positions who would help to develop the country.

The governor, who was the special guest of honour at conference, stressed the need for Nigerians to work together to actualise national cohesion, a bright and progressive future.

source: http://www.punchng.com/news/why-i-retired-as-major-general-buhari/
Re: Why I Retired As Major-general — Buhari by Longeria(m): 11:15am On Jul 09, 2013
Let's hear something this man, who asked you, who cares? You want to benefit from democracy you once terminated. We may have forgave you but we will never forget.. Go to hell with your fake integrity and anti corruption toga. That you didn't promote yourself doesn't make you a good man, after all Gaddafi also didn't promote himself. You have spent over 15 billion naira in your three previous misadventures as a career presidential aspirant, where did you got the money? Mr anti corruption. Don't preach to us, we know you as evil, Satanic, corrupt, boko haram supporter, bad loser, enemy of democracy, bigoted, anti progress etc. I wish apc will give ticket so that Jonathan will score hatrick against you, 2007 with "yar' aduar" 2011, 2015. We don't need you, go to hell.
Re: Why I Retired As Major-general — Buhari by mike404(m): 11:45am On Jul 09, 2013
Longeria: Let's hear something this man, who asked you, who cares? You want to benefit from democracy you once terminated.
GOD BLESS YOU MY BROTHER sad
Re: Why I Retired As Major-general — Buhari by mike404(m): 11:51am On Jul 09, 2013
Longeria: Let's hear something this man, who asked you, who cares? You want to benefit from democracy you once terminated. We may have forgave you but we will never forget.. Go to hell with your fake integrity and anti corruption toga. That you didn't promote yourself doesn't make you a good man, after all Gaddafi also didn't promote himself. You have spent over 15 billion naira in your three previous misadventures as a career presidential aspirant, where did you got the money? Mr anti corruption. Don't preach to us, we know you as evil, Satanic, corrupt, boko haram supporter, bad loser, enemy of democracy, bigoted, anti progress etc. I wish apc will give ticket so that Jonathan will score hatrick against you, 2007 with "yar' aduar" 2011, 2015. We don't need you, go to hell.
E....N....D. OF. D....I....S....C....U....S.....S....I....O....N

T....H....R....E....A....D. C....L....O....S....E....D cheesy cheesy
Re: Why I Retired As Major-general — Buhari by Shakara123(m): 11:54am On Jul 09, 2013
A wounded lion on a revenge course. But seriously, if this man becomes president, so many people will go on exile, some big companiess will shut down and those few strong-headed guys that decide to stay back will go to jail; that's why they will rather die than see him enter aso rock.
Re: Why I Retired As Major-general — Buhari by oloriooko(m): 12:26pm On Jul 09, 2013
Shakara123: A wounded lion on a revenge course. But seriously, if this man becomes president, so many people will go on exile, some big companiess will shut down and those few strong-headed guys that decide to stay back will go to jail; that's why they will rather die than see him enter aso rock.

but can this guy be trusted? will he not throw the country into a religious war? is not on a revenge mission instead of serving the people?
Re: Why I Retired As Major-general — Buhari by egift(m): 5:40pm On Jul 09, 2013
Buhari/Fashola 2015-2019 ...lets rebuild Nigeria

(1) (Reply)

10 Inventors Who Didn't Get Mega-rich from Their Inventions / PDP Will Die Soon - Governor Nyako / A Call For Genuine Sovereign National Conference – Gani Fawehinmi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.