Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:16 AM

Students Protest In Lagos Over ASUU/ASUP Strike (photos) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Students Protest In Lagos Over ASUU/ASUP Strike (photos) (15312 Views)

Protest Going On In Lagos Over Fuel Scarcity : Exclusive Photos / ASUP Strike Called Off! / Jubilation In Jos Over ASUU’s Suspension Of Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Students Protest In Lagos Over ASUU/ASUP Strike (photos) by EteFlexible: 1:56pm On Jul 09, 2013
Students under the aegis of Nigerian Education Rights Coalition and Coalition Against Commercialization of Education in Nigeria today embarked on street protests in Lagos that has brought traffic to a standstill on on Lagos main road, Ikorodu road.

The protest which started with a handful of students protesting against Nigerian government insensitivity to ongoing strike by university and polytechnic teachers has steadily grown in the last hour.

Policemen are seen trying to break up the protest but the students have so far stood their ground and proceeded peacefully in defiance of the police.

Re: Students Protest In Lagos Over ASUU/ASUP Strike (photos) by EteFlexible: 1:57pm On Jul 09, 2013
B

Re: Students Protest In Lagos Over ASUU/ASUP Strike (photos) by EteFlexible: 2:00pm On Jul 09, 2013
C

1 Like

Re: Students Protest In Lagos Over ASUU/ASUP Strike (photos) by eagleeye2: 2:00pm On Jul 09, 2013
please ohhh, No stray bullets from the police....
Aluta Continua.....victory is certain.

1 Like

Re: Students Protest In Lagos Over ASUU/ASUP Strike (photos) by EteFlexible: 2:03pm On Jul 09, 2013
D

Re: Students Protest In Lagos Over ASUU/ASUP Strike (photos) by EkoAtlantic: 2:04pm On Jul 09, 2013
I feel their patriotism and relentless spirit, but Abuja looks more appropriate to stage protest like this. It's solely on the Federal government and Abuja is the rightful place their voices can be well heard.
Re: Students Protest In Lagos Over ASUU/ASUP Strike (photos) by achi4u(m): 2:12pm On Jul 09, 2013
I love the way police were discharging their duties there...no harassment ...no quarrel!

Carry go my children grin
Re: Students Protest In Lagos Over ASUU/ASUP Strike (photos) by mensdept: 2:14pm On Jul 09, 2013
Good job for these brave students. enough is enough
Re: Students Protest In Lagos Over ASUU/ASUP Strike (photos) by braine(m): 2:14pm On Jul 09, 2013
See what incompetent governance has turned our youths into; very sad.
Re: Students Protest In Lagos Over ASUU/ASUP Strike (photos) by matrixme(m): 2:29pm On Jul 09, 2013
Eko Atlantic: I feel their patriotism and relentless spirit, but Abuja looks more appropriate to stage protest like this. It's solely on the Federal government and Abuja is the rightful place their voices can be well heard.

You should never expect much from Abuja University students. Right under their noses, their University froze up for a very long time . I think their inaction mirrors into the very soul of Abuja city. Delusion with a cosmetic makeup. I hope more of this comes up across Nigeria so that the governmet will know that students are not as gullible as before, especially in this 21st century. We students are fully aware of the revolutions around the world.

1 Like

Re: Students Protest In Lagos Over ASUU/ASUP Strike (photos) by martin1772(m): 2:30pm On Jul 09, 2013
Nice move hope this wil do sumtin
Re: Students Protest In Lagos Over ASUU/ASUP Strike (photos) by babarazy: 2:30pm On Jul 09, 2013
Re: Students Protest In Lagos Over ASUU/ASUP Strike (photos) by Dubemkelly(m): 2:31pm On Jul 09, 2013
A nice move in d right direction buh dey shud maintain a peaceful protest to avoid stories that touch d heart....I gat der bck 101% its all 4 d best...We hv got our rights as students 2 protect not 2 b victimised by d govt n d strikin lecturers....Go niggurs!!!

1 Like

Re: Students Protest In Lagos Over ASUU/ASUP Strike (photos) by ossaisly(m): 2:33pm On Jul 09, 2013
Aluta continua,
Victoria aceta !!!
Re: Students Protest In Lagos Over ASUU/ASUP Strike (photos) by Omexonomy: 2:38pm On Jul 09, 2013
What is ur problem with student protesting in lagos abi na inside ur house. Anywhere they chose is okey so long it it is within nigeria.
Eko Atlantic: I feel their patriotism and relentless spirit, but Abuja looks more appropriate to stage protest like this. It's solely on the Federal government and Abuja is the rightful place their voices can be well heard.
Re: Students Protest In Lagos Over ASUU/ASUP Strike (photos) by sirmighty(m): 2:39pm On Jul 09, 2013
Love dat and d Lord is ur strength
Re: Students Protest In Lagos Over ASUU/ASUP Strike (photos) by alaoeri: 2:41pm On Jul 09, 2013
Hope any meaningful thing 'll come out of this.
Re: Students Protest In Lagos Over ASUU/ASUP Strike (photos) by Desdola(m): 2:41pm On Jul 09, 2013
Hope d govt have a listening ear to d plight of these poor students.
Re: Students Protest In Lagos Over ASUU/ASUP Strike (photos) by Jaideyone(m): 2:43pm On Jul 09, 2013
Yabatech boys... Oh I miss lagos grin
Re: Students Protest In Lagos Over ASUU/ASUP Strike (photos) by Willgates(m): 2:43pm On Jul 09, 2013
E
Re: Students Protest In Lagos Over ASUU/ASUP Strike (photos) by Csami(m): 2:44pm On Jul 09, 2013
what a way to go but make dem no spoil ma holiday wey don start o!

1 Like

Re: Students Protest In Lagos Over ASUU/ASUP Strike (photos) by dagentility(f): 2:45pm On Jul 09, 2013
Hmm,it's very unfair how the FG has kept mute about dis whole issue. It very obvious education means nothing to them.
Re: Students Protest In Lagos Over ASUU/ASUP Strike (photos) by howfarwhatagwan: 2:47pm On Jul 09, 2013
When will the police and military officers let us have peaceful protests in Nigeria? These guys don't understand that we need to rise up and fight. They are the ones who always come and turn the protest from peaceful to chaos, all they need to do is just move along to ensure no one gets out of hand but no when they come they threaten people and before you know it they begin to scare people with tear gas and voila wahala starts
Re: Students Protest In Lagos Over ASUU/ASUP Strike (photos) by FrankC3: 2:48pm On Jul 09, 2013
Ete Flexible: Students under the aegis of Nigerian Education Rights Coalition and Coalition Against [/b]Commercialization[/b]of Education in Nigeria today embarked on street protests in Lagos that has brought traffic to a standstill on on Lagos main road, Ikorodu road.

The protest which started with a handful of students protesting against Nigerian government insensitivity to ongoing strike by university and polytechnic teachers has steadily grown in the last hour.

Policemen are seen trying to break up the protest but the students have so far stood their ground and proceeded peacefully in defiance of the police.

Is ASUU/ASUP strike really about the commercialization of education in Nigeria? Maybe someone is working hard to mask the reason for the protest. We know who and where education is being commercialized and that is in Lagos State with a sessional school fees of N250,000. ASUU is fighting for improved condition of service, not for school fees increase or a 'commercialized' academic atmosphere.

I guess this protest should be against Lagos State Government for commercializing tertiary education in Lagos State.

1 Like

Re: Students Protest In Lagos Over ASUU/ASUP Strike (photos) by Nobody: 2:50pm On Jul 09, 2013
idiots wey suppose dey there house

1 Like

Re: Students Protest In Lagos Over ASUU/ASUP Strike (photos) by Jerryjat(m): 2:51pm On Jul 09, 2013
yeah... dat d spirit....
Re: Students Protest In Lagos Over ASUU/ASUP Strike (photos) by IYANGBALI: 2:54pm On Jul 09, 2013
send dana airline to pick them to abuja now abi na leg dem go take come?
Re: Students Protest In Lagos Over ASUU/ASUP Strike (photos) by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jul 09, 2013
Ambition is priceless,its something that's in the vein so the government gotta do something bout tha Strike so we get back in line with our AMBITION.
Re: Students Protest In Lagos Over ASUU/ASUP Strike (photos) by Bolan123: 2:55pm On Jul 09, 2013
Frank-C:

Is ASUU/ASUP strike really about the commercialization of education in Nigeria? Maybe someone is working hard to mask the reason for the protest. We know who and where education is being commercialized and that is in Lagos State with a sessional school fees of N250,000. ASUU is fighting for improved condition of service, not for school fees increase or a 'commercialized' academic atmosphere.

I guess this protest should be against Lagos State Government for commercializing tertiary education in Lagos State.
You really captured the moment. Don't mind all these sycophants
Re: Students Protest In Lagos Over ASUU/ASUP Strike (photos) by choppar(m): 2:57pm On Jul 09, 2013
I jst pray fg should meet dere demand, 4 dem to call off dis so called strike.
Re: Students Protest In Lagos Over ASUU/ASUP Strike (photos) by IYANGBALI: 2:58pm On Jul 09, 2013
deejay_harry1: idiots wey suppose dey there house
na you be the hediot

3 Likes

Re: Students Protest In Lagos Over ASUU/ASUP Strike (photos) by EteFlexible: 3:01pm On Jul 09, 2013
It seems the most effective way in getting government’s attention on any issue in Nigeria by its employees and other unions is to embark on industrial action, otherwise called strike. The strike option is a common phenomenon adopted by many, from truck/tanker drivers, teachers/lecturers, Judicial workers and transport workers(bus drivers) among others, to air their grievances.
Surprisingly, strike action is a common occurence in our educational sector as academic and non academic staff resort to it in calling goverment’s attention to their welfare and decay in the system and there is no doubting the fact that the incessant industrial actions have crippled the varsity and polytechnic systems and caused disruptions to the sector,including untold hardship to students. ASUU and ASUP should find other methods of airing their grievances, most especially their selfish interest. I have never heard these unions embarking on strike for the cause of poor studying laboratories, equipment which students should use in practicing and poor funding to educational projects, HABA NA!!!!!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Osinbajo Signs 3 Executive Orders To Ease Business, Fast Track Budget Submission / Market Women Waiting For Tradermoni At Oba Market, Benin City Edo State. / Soludo: My Family Went Into exile For Bank Consolidation To Be Achieved

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.