Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,511 members, 7,801,351 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:09 PM

8 Tips On Sharing Ramadan With Your Neighbors - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / 8 Tips On Sharing Ramadan With Your Neighbors (5998 Views)

Global Dawah Day Pictures and Updates: Sharing This Beautiful Message / Tips On How To Concentrate During Salat (prayers) / Sharing your dreams - is it okay? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 Tips On Sharing Ramadan With Your Neighbors by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jul 09, 2013
The Prophet Muhammad (SAW) said: "He is not a believer who eats his fill while his neighbor remains hungry by his side." (Baihaqi)

"By Allah, he has no faith (the Prophet [SAW] repeated it three times) whose neighbors are not safe from his wickedness." (Bukhari)

Ramadan is a great opportunity to share Islam and more specifically, its values of spirituality, generosity and kindness with others, especially your neighbors. It's a great time to do Dawa. And Dawa is very much needed in the current atmosphere of anger, tension and sadness.

Here are some ideas on how you can share the joy with your neighbors this Ramadan.

01. Begin with Dua

Make Dua that Allah give you and your family the sincerity, strength, motivation and wisdom to do this. Dawa is hard work, and it needs preparation, commitment and organization.

02. Put up a Ramadan banner on your door

This can be something handmade or something more formal.

But don't stop there. Print out a fact sheet on Ramadan and stick that on the door to educate readers passing by about the blessed month and what it means to Muslims.

03. Send neighbors Iftar snacks

Include a note with the food that the month of Ramadan is here and you are sharing your joy with them.

You can offer snacks that are not just "Muslims" but also "non-Muslims" (i.e. American, African, Middle Eastern, Indo-Pakistani, etc.). You can include index cards with the snacks listing all of the ingredients. This will help neighbors avoid food that causes allergies.

04. Give kids Ramadan Mubarak balloons and candy

Let your neighbors' kids also feel the happiness of Ramadan by including chocolate and candy among your snacks. Balloons also add a nice touch, and if you can get some printed which have "Ramadan Mubarak" written on them, they may remember the blessed month even after it has passed.

05. Publish Ramadan information in your neighborhood newsletter

If you are part of a tenants' association, a group within your housing complex or your neighborhood block parents' association and they publish a newsletter, inform them about Ramadan and prepare a short write-up about the month. This is a great way of informing many more neighbors about Ramadan.

06. Have a neighborhood Iftar gathering

You don't have to invite everyone. Perhaps just the closest neighbors can attend this event. Send handmade invitations for an "Iftar gathering" at most a week in advance (avoid the word "party" as it may be misunderstood to mean a gathering including alcohol, loud music, etc.).

Ask about allergies or other food issues before establishing the menu. Include vegetarian, American and "ethnic" food.

Be sure to invite Muslim family and friends who are comfortable interacting with non-Muslims to this event, and brief them about how they should properly share Ramadan with the neighbors. Also, have some written material on Ramadan available for your guests.

At the gathering:

Be cordial, generous and friendly, but maintain Islamic rules of behavior and modesty. This should not be a "party" in the common understanding, but more of a religious celebration that is spiritual and respectful to all.

Don't impose information. Just let non-Muslim guests ask questions, if they want to. As well, be ready for questions about Islam and violence/terrorism, the oppression of women, etc. Give neighbors the benefit of the doubt and clarify their misunderstanding in a calm, gentle manner.

07. Get your kids on it

Tell your kids to inform other neighbors' kids what Ramadan is all about and have the children invite their classmates to your Iftar gatherings.

08. Talk about what Ramadan means to you

What's it like to fast? How do you work/go to school and still fast? These are some questions you may be asked. Don't just point your guests to the pamphlets. Tell them and use some personal examples they can relate to.

18 Likes

Re: 8 Tips On Sharing Ramadan With Your Neighbors by Chanchit: 5:04pm On Jul 09, 2013
Hmmm, let me find a way to pass this good thread to my neighbor, he must read this. The old man is a free giver tho', but with this he might do more. This ramadan must groove for me. Imust share this ramadan food with my muslim bro's. But not the fasting sha.

1 Like

Re: 8 Tips On Sharing Ramadan With Your Neighbors by maclatunji: 11:17am On Jul 12, 2013
^LOL. OP, nice one.
Re: 8 Tips On Sharing Ramadan With Your Neighbors by chaloner(m): 11:45am On Jul 12, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 8 Tips On Sharing Ramadan With Your Neighbors by ksusi: 11:47am On Jul 12, 2013
let us stick to these
Re: 8 Tips On Sharing Ramadan With Your Neighbors by colombiana: 11:50am On Jul 12, 2013
Cud I at least get a C4
Re: 8 Tips On Sharing Ramadan With Your Neighbors by extraflyfineboy(m): 12:02pm On Jul 12, 2013
ksusi: let us stick to these

may God bless al my muslim friends and may we continue to please God

1 Like

Re: 8 Tips On Sharing Ramadan With Your Neighbors by Lilimax(f): 12:04pm On Jul 12, 2013
omonori1:
Don't impose information. Just let non-Muslim guests ask questions, if they want to. As well, be ready for questions about Islam and violence/terrorism, the oppression of women, etc. Give neighbors the benefit of the doubt and clarify their misunderstanding in a calm, gentle manner.
Love this clause smiley ... only if this directive would be imbibed by our Northern Moslems, Nigeria would have been a very peaceful nation undecided.
Nice one @ OP.
Ramadan Kareem!

1 Like

Re: 8 Tips On Sharing Ramadan With Your Neighbors by Abuklaw(m): 12:10pm On Jul 12, 2013
This and more are what is expected of a typical muslim.may Allah swt bless us and enrich our purse coz it takes nothing but finance to implement all this dawah strategies.

1 Like

Re: 8 Tips On Sharing Ramadan With Your Neighbors by mshd5: 12:13pm On Jul 12, 2013
jazakallahu khayran. ds is a gud write up, may Allah reward d op.
Re: 8 Tips On Sharing Ramadan With Your Neighbors by LOUDmedia(m): 12:16pm On Jul 12, 2013
Happy ramadan our muslim bros and sis
Re: 8 Tips On Sharing Ramadan With Your Neighbors by Controversy: 12:42pm On Jul 12, 2013
omonori1:

Hmmmm! Make i ask?
Re: 8 Tips On Sharing Ramadan With Your Neighbors by deols(f): 1:12pm On Jul 12, 2013
iLike smiley
Re: 8 Tips On Sharing Ramadan With Your Neighbors by Ashabie(f): 1:13pm On Jul 12, 2013
Nice write up,but I believe all these shld not stop when Ramadan has gone,Ramadan has come to teach us mny things and it should continue after Ramadan. May Allah subhana huwa tahala make it easy for us and accept all our effort during and after Ramadan as an act of ibadah. Ramadan Mubaraq

3 Likes

Re: 8 Tips On Sharing Ramadan With Your Neighbors by omoredia: 1:23pm On Jul 12, 2013
no share am with me! cos i cant see the difference in the middle east and northern Nigeria

1 Like

Re: 8 Tips On Sharing Ramadan With Your Neighbors by tintingz(m): 1:46pm On Jul 12, 2013
Good one smiley
Re: 8 Tips On Sharing Ramadan With Your Neighbors by solomon111(m): 2:19pm On Jul 12, 2013
Chanchit: Hmmm, let me find a way to pass this good thread to my neighbor, he must read this. The old man is a free giver tho', but with this he might do more. This ramadan must groove for me. Imust share this ramadan food with my muslim bro's. But not the fasting sha.
I pity you.
Don't go and eat what will destroy you.

1 Like

Re: 8 Tips On Sharing Ramadan With Your Neighbors by pistol: 2:23pm On Jul 12, 2013
Nice try though,
But it can never be like xmas.

1 Like

Re: 8 Tips On Sharing Ramadan With Your Neighbors by Bsmartt(m): 3:21pm On Jul 12, 2013
ASALAM ALAYKUM, i am very happy for the information.this will show the world what islam really means.but these good deeds begins with me and you. i believe together we can make the world a better place.ramadan mubarak! peace!

2 Likes

Re: 8 Tips On Sharing Ramadan With Your Neighbors by supaeagles(m): 3:34pm On Jul 12, 2013
@OP nice write up .... also can you please include/quote your source?? ..... Here's an excerpt from your write up that may not really apply in 9ja: "You can include index cards with the snacks listing all of the ingredients". possible source?
We should strive/encourage journalist excellence in NL - even though most of us are amateur writers/journalists, it is still worth it to do things properly.
Re: 8 Tips On Sharing Ramadan With Your Neighbors by oluagness(m): 4:55pm On Jul 12, 2013
Ashabie: Nice write up,but I believe all these shld not stop when Ramadan has gone,Ramadan has come to teach us mny things and it should continue after Ramadan. May Allah subhana huwa tahala make it easy for us and accept all our effort during and after Ramadan as an act of ibadah. Ramadan Mubaraq
continue after Ramadan? It is my prayer for you guys to continue like this, may be peace may reign.
Re: 8 Tips On Sharing Ramadan With Your Neighbors by lawali: 4:59pm On Jul 12, 2013
Nice write-up. Keep it coming.
Re: 8 Tips On Sharing Ramadan With Your Neighbors by DMainMan: 5:47pm On Jul 12, 2013
Nyc 1. Ramadan Kareem
Re: 8 Tips On Sharing Ramadan With Your Neighbors by Walexz02(m): 6:32pm On Jul 12, 2013
Nice write up bro.
Ramadan Kareem!
Re: 8 Tips On Sharing Ramadan With Your Neighbors by biafranqueen: 6:33pm On Jul 12, 2013
Happy Ramadan to OP and other Muslims!
Re: 8 Tips On Sharing Ramadan With Your Neighbors by Nobody: 6:35pm On Jul 12, 2013
Assalam Aleykum my brother in Islam, my name is Nurudeen, am from epe local government, lagos. But right now in ijebu ode due to lack of money. Since i lost my job last year, things has not been going well to the extend dat i cannot avoid a house rent in lagos. Pls am marry with 2 kids. Pls this fasting has not been easy for me as i cannot even provide five hundred naira to cook for fasting. Pls me and my wife wish to fast for dis 30 days ramadam. Please am writing to beg my muslim brother and sister, i don't really need money but food items, like gari, rice, etc dat we can eat for fasting as i have been making contact for job soonest. Pls i can come to any place. Allah will keep rewarding u and providing as u put smiles onto a hunger man's face especially this Ramadam. Pls here is my gsm. 07058044622. Am at ijebu ode.
Re: 8 Tips On Sharing Ramadan With Your Neighbors by Alishachris: 7:29pm On Jul 12, 2013
Share without bias
Re: 8 Tips On Sharing Ramadan With Your Neighbors by tbaba1234: 10:53pm On Jul 12, 2013
topsino2012: Assalam Aleykum my brother in Islam, my name is Nurudeen, am from epe local government, lagos. But right now in ijebu ode due to lack of money. Since i lost my job last year, things has not been going well to the extend dat i cannot avoid a house rent in lagos. Pls am marry with 2 kids. Pls this fasting has not been easy for me as i cannot even provide five hundred naira to cook for fasting. Pls me and my wife wish to fast for dis 30 days ramadam. Please am writing to beg my muslim brother and sister, i don't really need money but food items, like gari, rice, etc dat we can eat for fasting as i have been making contact for job soonest. Pls i can come to any place. Allah will keep rewarding u and providing as u put smiles onto a hunger man's face especially this Ramadam. Pls here is my gsm. 07058044622. Am at ijebu ode.
Re: 8 Tips On Sharing Ramadan With Your Neighbors by addicted268(f): 1:56am On Jul 13, 2013
Happy ramadan to all good muslims and especially a ramadan shout-out to my great neighbors:Ismaila,Umoru,Rabiu,Sani and Yawo! cheesy

1 Like

Re: 8 Tips On Sharing Ramadan With Your Neighbors by raeez(m): 1:11pm On Jul 13, 2013
Ramadan mubarak

(1) (2) (Reply)

Welcoming The Holy Month Of Ramadan / You Sure You Are A Muslim? / The Day I Met A Man Who Shared Similar Wordings Of Du'a Like Mine.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.