Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,471 members, 7,808,694 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:32 PM

How Can I Be Formal At Work? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Can I Be Formal At Work? (646 Views)

Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? / Needs Guide On How To Lodge A Formal Complaint / 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Be Formal At Work? by Henrypraise: 10:19pm On Jul 09, 2013
Please read n kindly advice:
I am a young man in my mid 20s and really want to excel in life, I grew up in warri and was a serious street hustler, I liked the street and enjoyed the gimmicks associated with conquering the day, but hated the low monetary returns.

Sum how I got a gud job in d oil n gas sector, as oppose to my informal life style, this new job entails I start being formal, dress formal and talk formal, m ok wit english to sum extent but I find it had to dress formal and talk formal like they do in the office. My bosses always complained about my mode of dressing from hair style to long finger nails and fitted Tee shirts.

The worst is the fact that I don't knw how to state and defend my case without getting angry when I am contradicted, which they perceive as a show of gross insubordination, even wen I send mails, the response I get is always annoyin cos my bosses say I address them like they are my subordinates.

Fellow nlander, I like d job n it pays well, I wanna develop in my field and be a beta white collar worker, how do I learn to be formal? Are dia short courses that I can attend? Pls advice.
Re: How Can I Be Formal At Work? by canuck(m): 8:19am On Jul 10, 2013
@ OP

Where will I start? You touched on a number of issues:

1) Professional dressing
2) Communication
3) Handling contrary viewpoints
4) Persuasive presentation ('state and defend my case')
5) Emotional intelligence

I may come back to add specific tips, but I think you need a major overhaul of your personality - Good news is that you have taken the most difficult step: Admitting that there is a problem.

The next steps will be easier and your growth will be transformational, if you stick to the principle of constant improvement.

Below are some of the books that have helped me in the past. Bookshops in Nigeria carry many of them, or you may buy online at, say, www.amazon.com

a) The Rules of Work - Richard Templar
b) You, Inc.: The Art of Selling Yourself - Harry Beckwith
c) The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People - Stephen R. Covey
d) People Skills: How to Assert Yourself, Listen to Others, and Resolve Conflicts - Robert Bolton
e) It's the Way You Say It: Becoming Articulate, Well-spoken, and Clear - Carol A. Fleming
f) Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ - Daniel Goleman

"We are changed by what we read. Close that book, and you are not the same person anymore. Because of what you just read, your worldview - your understanding, your compassion for others, your ability to engage intelligently with others -has expanded a little. Books help us grow." - Pat Williams

I wish you the very best as you reinvent yourself

"Men are anxious to improve their circumstances, but are unwilling to improve themselves; they therefore remain bound." - James Allen 1864-1912, Author of “As a Man Thinketh”

1 Like

Re: How Can I Be Formal At Work? by Henrypraise: 9:06am On Jul 10, 2013
canuck: @ OP
I wish you the very best as you reinvent yourself

"Men are anxious to improve their circumstances, but are unwilling to improve themselves; they therefore remain bound." - James Allen 1864-1912, Author of “As a Man Thinketh”

Thanks for you candid reply, i will get the books recommended and act on the quote in bold for i see that as a major challenge.

My brother it is not easy been a formal man i must confess.
Re: How Can I Be Formal At Work? by canuck(m): 1:26pm On Jul 10, 2013
Henry praise:

Thanks for you candid reply, i will get the books recommended and act on the quote in bold for i see that as a major challenge.

My brother it is not easy been a formal man i must confess.

LOL! So true.

However, just like every social setting, the office has its norms and "unwritten rules" that can make or mar you.

You learned to excel on the streets; you can learn to be successful in the office too.

Here's a tip: Become an "apprentice" to someone you admire regarding the mastery of formality. Watch him/her closely and begin to model the behavior. If you have access, request to be mentored by this person.
Re: How Can I Be Formal At Work? by Geomac: 4:29pm On Jul 10, 2013
canuck:

Here's a tip: Become an "apprentice" to someone you admire regarding the mastery of formality. Watch him/her closely and begin to model the behavior. If you have access, request to be mentored by this person.

You are absolutely right.

(1) (Reply)

To ACCA STUDENTS / If You Were Given A Billion Naira Today, Would You Stop Working? / Can We Form PMP Study Group In Abuja?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.