Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,472 members, 7,808,702 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:39 PM

July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife (63336 Views)

Remembering The Lost Comrades- OAU July 10 Cult Attack / 1999 CULT ATTACK ON OAU - What Really Happened!!! / Oau Ile Ife 2009/2010 Admission List! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by Nobody: 6:21am On Jul 10, 2013
It's exactly 14 years that cultists attacked Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, killing no fewer than 10 students. Prominent among those killed was the Secretary-General of the Students' Union, George Iwilade aka Afrika (founder of Afrika Forward Movement AFORM). It was said that the cultists struck in the early hours of the day after the initiation rites of members of the Keggites Club in the dining room of the Obafemi Awolowo Hall in the university had been concluded. No sooner had the initiation rites ended, and people retired to their rooms than the cultists struck. They were said to have sporadically shot which made students run, as cult attack and shooting were unusual on campus.

Share your experience of what you saw that day or what you were told. And how true was the claim that the cultists were sent by the then VC.

Moderators, front page.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by spenca: 6:25am On Jul 10, 2013
Ma Allah forgive those that lost their lives n grant them janah n may Allah also forgive those that led to the loss of those lives

To let you all know this space belongs to afrika n all that lost their lives that very black day

9 Likes

Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by Nobody: 7:04am On Jul 10, 2013
Terrible, that is how I could describe that time! I actualy went to read over-night at the law faculty that time and I did not know of the attack until morning while coming back to Awo Hall(the epicenter of the attack), my hostel.
I lost a friend to the cultist, at Fajuyi Hall. Eviano, that was his name, a very briliant medical student.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by Nobody: 7:13am On Jul 10, 2013
cogitoErgo: Terrible, that is how I could describe that time! I actualy went to read over-night at the law faculty that time and I did not know of the attack until morning while coming back to Awo Hall(the epicenter of the attack), my hostel.
I lost a friend to the cultist, at Fajuyi Hall. Eviano, that was his name, a very briliant medical student.
As a mark of honour to Eviano the TV Room of Lt-Col. Adekunle Fajuyi Hall was named after him. His picture still hangs there. Amphitheatre was named after Afrika Amphitheatre in honour of George Iwilade aka Afrika.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by kenifeh(m): 7:28am On Jul 10, 2013
I remember the famous speech made by Comrade Moses Oisakede, late NANS President, "How can we say goodbye? ...Welldone and not goodbye". Little did he know that Nigeria Students will re-echo the same eulogy at his funeral.
I remeber how Lanre Lagacy, former OAU Union President, escaped death by whiskers.
I remember how this incidence cost Wole Omole, former Vice Chancellor, his job.

You will always remain in our minds. Adieu Gallant fighters!!!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by kaze4blues(m): 7:32am On Jul 10, 2013
What a terrible scenario it would be then....

I read the whole story few years back...really admire "afrika"

Rip to the dead
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by Nobody: 7:35am On Jul 10, 2013
I learnt the OAU stood still that day. An emergency congress was called "at the level of Amphitheatre" by the Students' Union President Lanre Legacy, in which the VC was declared wanted with some amount of money placed on him.

4 Likes

Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by gunuvi(m): 8:05am On Jul 10, 2013
It was a very terrible experience. Afrika was a close activist and comrade. Miss him and others so much.

2 Likes

Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by Nobody: 8:27am On Jul 10, 2013
gunuvi: It was a very terrible experience. Afrika was a close activist and comrade. Miss him and others so much.
Terrible, terrible, terrible! Africa(Iwilade) was shot on the head, apparently in his sleep, on his bed in Awo hall!
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by Nobody: 8:39am On Jul 10, 2013
I saw Eviano the evening b4 the attack around Oduduwa Hall, as I was going to read( he was coming from where he went to read too), he called my name and he gave me some money! (I was wonderfully poor then grin )
I lived with Eviano in room "68.5" grin block 4, (under the staircase) Fajuyi Hall.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by Nobody: 8:45am On Jul 10, 2013
cogitoErgo:
Terrible, terrible, terrible! Africa(Iwilade) was shot on the head, apparently in his sleep, on his bed in Awo hall!
I learnt that after he was shot axe and machete were used on him. His mattress and parts of wall of his room were covered with his blood. As a mark of respect, the blood spill remained on the wall until the Secretary-General of the Students' Union for 2007/08 session, John Etebong aka John Pillar repainted the room which is block 8, named July 10 Secretariat, in Obafemi Awolowo Hall

2 Likes

Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by Nobody: 9:41am On Jul 10, 2013
Ola Johnson:
I learnt that after he was shot axe and machete were used on him. His mattress and parts of wall of his room were covered with his blood. As a mark of respect, the blood spill remained on the wall until the Secretary-General of the Students' Union for 2007/08 session, John Etebong aka John Pillar repainted the room which is block 8, named July 10 Secretariat, in Obafemi Awolowo Hall
hmmm, I actually did not hear of any machete cut on Africa! but the close range shot definitly will have his blood splatered all over and his bed was definitly deeply soaked in his blood, infact those who saw his body immediatly after the shooting said his face was completly unrecognisable!
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by tomakint: 10:17am On Jul 10, 2013
Ojo buruku Esu bo mi mu shocked 'Afrikka and the four rest in peace'! I passed through their midst around 4.12 a.m on my way to Awo Hall across the walkway of Health Centre, I had just settled down on my bed about to take a short nap when the first shot banged, I thought it was a knock-out sound....the rest is history! Of the greateeessssssstttt IFE, GREAT!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by Demdem(m): 10:34am On Jul 10, 2013
I was in Angola hall throughout that night.Saw boys running towards us from AWO enroute the bush it was a sad day.
RIP to the fallen.

2 Likes

Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by Tolexander: 10:35am On Jul 10, 2013
On the day of their burial, i was in lagere, ife, and saw how students were packed in buses and cars cursing wale omole and the killers from OAUTHC to the campus via the sabo-lagere road.

May their souls rest in peace.

The July 10 was indeed an unforgettable day in the history of OAU and Ile Ife.

3 Likes

Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by Demdem(m): 10:45am On Jul 10, 2013
Tolexander: On the day of their burial, i was in lagere, ife, and saw how students were packed in buses and cars cursing wale omole and the killers from OAUTHC to the campus via the sabo-lagere road.

May their souls rest in peace.

July 10 is indeed an unforgettable day in the history of OAU.
Yeah the beginning of the end of Omole as CV
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by SLIDEwaxie(m): 10:54am On Jul 10, 2013
How will u say a VC sent in killers?
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by Demdem(m): 11:02am On Jul 10, 2013
SLIDE waxie: How will u say a VC sent in killers?

I doubted this also but before then, students never liked Omole. Some even claimed he is a cultist himself considering his love for white flowing gowns. That unfortunate incidence was just an oppurtunity that was maximised to get rid of him.

2 Likes

Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by araoke(m): 11:58am On Jul 10, 2013
So 14years of my life has gone past? God rest the fallen comrades, it was a terrible night

1 Like

Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by Tolexander: 12:15pm On Jul 10, 2013
Demdem:
Yeah the beginning of the end of Omole as CV
i remember he was supposed to be made appointed for a ministerial role during obasanjo's tenure but wasn't eventually appointed due to that.
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by Afam4eva(m): 1:22pm On Jul 10, 2013
Ola Johnson: It's exactly 14 years that cultists attacked Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, killing no fewer than 10 students. Prominent among those killed was the Secretary-General of the Students' Union, George Iwilade aka Afrika (founder of Afrika Forward Movement AFORM). It was said that the cultists struck in the early hours of the day after the initiation rites of members of the Keggites Club in the dining room of the Obafemi Awolowo Hall in the university had been concluded. No sooner had the initiation rites ended, and people retired to their rooms than the cultists struck. They were said to have sporadically shot which made students run, as cult attack and shooting were unusual on campus.

Share your experience of what you saw that day or what you were told. And how true was the claim that the cultists were sent by the then VC.

Moderators, front page.
I can remember this event vividly. I felt pity for the parents of those students whose lives were cut short. I think it's after that incident that OAU started losing steam.

1 Like

Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by goodbobo: 1:22pm On Jul 10, 2013
Thank God for the life of Faro . How God saved him that night .U bring memories of great Ife back .
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by colombiana: 1:26pm On Jul 10, 2013
Ahhhh I remember that bloody day it was badoo omo mushin that saved me, u nid to see him dodgin the bullets and giving the cultists flying kick I cud haff die yhoooo
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by Neduzze5(m): 1:26pm On Jul 10, 2013
*clears throat*

Erm...

I was not there sha

But into your hands oh Lord do I commit the attack victims.

Erm..... Cut!!

https://www.nairaland.com/1228984/new-dawn

grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by BUSHHUNTER: 1:26pm On Jul 10, 2013
[b][/b][b]rip 2 d dead
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by fittty(m): 1:28pm On Jul 10, 2013
Yeah
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by Nobody: 1:28pm On Jul 10, 2013
I gained admission into Ife 2001, two years after.

I remember how my sister who was in part 1 then used to narrate what happened on that night of terror.

Well, I think we later students of Ife benefitted from the efforts of those heroes past, as we enjoyed a cult-free campus in our years there.

9 Likes

Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by ayyoshert: 1:28pm On Jul 10, 2013
Not the whole of the campus stood still that day rather the whole of Ile-Ife township wept, it was a gory incident, i used to come to school then from my parents house in Rd 7 Olonade, the whole city wept i say. George Iwilade ( Afrika), Eviano Ekelemu and others rest in peace.

2 Likes

Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by ugopeter(m): 1:29pm On Jul 10, 2013
July 10, 1999 can never b 4gotten by dos cultist dat murdered dem cos datz d day cultism ended in OAU.

2 Likes

Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by Tobtex(m): 1:29pm On Jul 10, 2013
cogitoErgo:
hmmm, I actually did not hear of any machete cut on Africa! but the close range shot definitly will have his blood splatered all over and his bed was definitly deeply soaked in his blood, infact those who saw his body immediatly after the shooting said his face was completly unrecognisable!

After he was shot, machete was used on him, he was mutilated!!!
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by Nobody: 1:29pm On Jul 10, 2013
Abeg,broses I was quite young then. What happened? From my own knowledge of cultism,I know cult group fight rival groups only,so what could have led to the shooting spree? Why were these guys killed? For someone to be shot and axed,that means the person was a rival.. Can someone please shed more light here

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Daddy Freeze Reacts To Expulsion Of Babcock Female Student In Leaked Sex Video / KNUST University Ghana In Pictures / Bad Condition Of Yabatech Students Sleeping In The Classroom(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.