Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,385 members, 7,808,363 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:56 AM

Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? (1325 Views)

Does The Bible Support Abortion? Numbers Chapter 5 / All GO's & Religious Leaders Must Go To Prison — Pastor Tunde Bakare / Noise Pollution: Religious Leaders Deny Knowledge Of Approved Decibel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by Nobody: 7:54am On Jul 10, 2013
A week ago, I saw this written in a catholic church bulletin;

-Dont commit abortion
-Dont use contraceptives and condonms
-Dont engage in premarital s.ex
-The child in the womb is a human being from the moment of conception
-Abortion takes a life, therefore it is murder

[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/1193795_catholic_church_bulletin_jpgc0bb83eac1226eb557d81f2df5902987[/img]

Why do I feel that the above points are clearly silly and will lead to suffering? Here are counter arguments to the beliefs of the catholic church;

FACTS;

-Abstinence is a myth. Human beings for the most part can hardly follow abstinence. Se.x is natural. Infact, it has been shown that abstinence education fails while sex education (that advocates use of condoms) were have more impact.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/11/07/study-finds-abstinence-only-programs-fail-to-reduce-teen-sexual-behavior/

-Condoms/contraceptives are there to stop pregnancy therefore they reduce potential abortions. Yet, the catholic church is against condoms and contraceptives.

-A fertilized egg is not a human being. At conception, there is no baby, just a fertilized egg. A better term to describe the fertilized egg is a "potential human"

-Abortion is not murder. For the theists, you would be calling your God a murderer if it was the case that abortion is murder. Natural abortions (not done by humans but occurs naturally) are the most common abortions.

-A reasonable approach to abortion would be to allow it legally but create free counselling before it is done. The counselling is to inform the woman about her choices-
a)adoption, foster care, orphanage
b)giving the baby to her parents
c)taking care of the baby herself (maybe with support from friends/other mothers)
d)abortion

-Abortion rate is higher in countries where it is illegal- http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/rate-of-abortion-is-highest-in-countries-where-practice-is-banned-6292070.html

-If you want to force a young woman to go against her decision to abort a baby she doesnt want, be prepared to giver her support/options to take care of the baby when it is born. With great power comes great responsiblity. If you want the power to stop abortions, then the responsiblity for the non-aborted babies goes to you.

-Logically, there is no sense for a baby to survive abortion, only to die of starvation or at the hands of an unstable mother few days or months after.

The suffering part comes when you think about the women forced to have a number of children that they cant feed or support. They would have had better family planning if they had access to condoms in the first place. Now, without condoms/contraceptives, the women will likely get pregnant after se.x. Every time a pregnancy occurs, she is told by churches/religious leaders and govts influenced by religion to have the babies. End result;

The choice is in your hands

1 Like

Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by k2039: 8:33am On Jul 10, 2013
-Dont commit abortion [size=13pt][/size]
-Dont use contraceptives and condoms [size=13pt][/size]
-Dont engage in premarital s.ex [size=13pt][/size]
-The child in the womb is a human being from the moment of conception [size=13pt][/size]
-Abortion takes a life, therefore it is murder[size=13pt][/size]
Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by Nobody: 9:11am On Jul 10, 2013
^^^
Epic contradiction there, bro

1 Like

Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by bolaino(m): 9:13am On Jul 10, 2013
k2039:
what are your views @ the op exactly?
Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by bolaino(m): 9:17am On Jul 10, 2013
I have always believed the issue of having an abortion lies solely with the lady, (if she's single) and the couple, not religion or government.
Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by Nobody: 9:20am On Jul 10, 2013
bolaino: I have always believed the issue of having an abortion lies solely with the lady, (if she's single) and the couple, not religion or government.

Well said
Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by k2039: 9:24am On Jul 10, 2013
Logicboy03: ^^^
Epic contradiction there, bro
Corrected

bolaino: what are your views @ the op exactly?
-Dont use contraceptives and condonms
I disagree with not using contaceptives and condoms, we don't need kids that can't be catered for.

2 Likes

Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by ooman(m): 10:10am On Jul 10, 2013
if a fertilized egg is not a human being, so is a newborn baby.
Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by Nobody: 10:13am On Jul 10, 2013
ooman: if a fertilized egg is not a human being, so is a newborn baby.

You have become a real annoying atheist.

You clearly came here to troll with that comment

2 Likes

Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by ajufinz(m): 10:26am On Jul 10, 2013
We don't need to over flag the theory of Abstinence.

Abstinence as a tool for the prevention of Unplanned pregnancy and Sexually Transmitted Infection is called 'sexu.al Abstinence'.

Simply put avoid every and any sexua.l act, contact or practices to stay safe from the above 'incidences'. How many can/ have done this successfully?
I guess they are in a huge minority....
Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by Nobody: 10:56am On Jul 10, 2013
ajufinz: We don't need to over flag the theory of Abstinence.

Abstinence as a tool for the prevention of Unplanned pregnancy and Sexually Transmitted Infection is called 'sexu.al Abstinence'.

Simply put avoid every and any sexua.l act, contact or practices to stay safe from the above 'incidences'. How many can/ have done this successfully?
I guess they are in a huge minority....

Abstinence fails so badly that there is even higher teen pregnancies where they preach it

2 Likes

Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by bolaino(m): 11:34am On Jul 10, 2013
I think it's high time the nigerian lawmakers pass a bill in support of abortion, cos like the Op pointed out there is high rate of abortion in countries where it is prohibited than in countries where they allow it, and it'll help save lives of countless teens who go to quacks to get their pregnancies removed.

1 Like

Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by Nobody: 11:37am On Jul 10, 2013
bolaino: I think it's high time the nigerian lawmakers pass a bill in support of abortion, cos like the Op pointed out there is high rate of abortion in countries where it is prohibited than in countries where they allow it, and it'll help save lives of countless teens who go to quacks to get their pregnancies removed.

Thank you!

1 Like

Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by ooman(m): 11:53am On Jul 10, 2013
Logicboy03:

You have become a real annoying atheist.

You clearly came here to troll with that comment

to prove this is true, tell me why you think a fertilized egg isn't a human being and a baby is. More importantly, what is a human being? When do we qualify a living thing as a human being?
Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by Areaboy2(m): 12:02pm On Jul 10, 2013
ooman: if a fertilized egg is not a human being, so is a newborn baby.

Come on SON!!!undecided undecided give your arguments a few minutes of complete thought before you post
Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by ooman(m): 12:28pm On Jul 10, 2013
Area_boy:

Come on SON!!!undecided undecided give your arguments a few minutes of complete thought before you post

if only a fertilized egg can develop into a pig or goat, then you are right.

that a fertilized egg is not a human being is technically wrong.

what is a human being, I ask again.

1 Like

Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by bolaino(m): 12:44pm On Jul 10, 2013
ooman:

if only a fertilized egg can develop into a pig or goat, then you are right.

that a fertilized egg is not a human being is technically wrong.

what is a human being, I ask again.
so are you saying in essence that sperms are human beings? That we should consider sperms as humans.
Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by ooman(m): 12:58pm On Jul 10, 2013
bolaino: so are you saying in essence that sperms are human beings? That we should consider sperms as humans.

could you not read 'fertilized egg' in all my posts?

1 Like

Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jul 10, 2013
ooman:

could you not read 'fertilized egg' in all my posts?

You didnt read "potential human" in my own posts as well.
Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by ooman(m): 1:14pm On Jul 10, 2013
Logicboy03:

You didnt read "potential human" in my own posts as well.

I hate this. This is from your OP

Logicboy03:
-A fertilized egg is not a human being. At conception, there is no baby, just a
fertilized egg. A better term to describe the

ok?

1 Like

Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jul 10, 2013
ooman:

I hate this. This is from your OP

ok?

Sorry, I dont know how the typo error came about. The last sentence isnt complete- it should have read...

" a better term to describe the fertilized egg would be "potential human"
Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by ooman(m): 1:31pm On Jul 10, 2013
Logicboy03:

Sorry, I dont know how the typo error came about. The last sentence isnt complete- it should have read...

" a better term to describe the fertilized egg would be "potential human"

no problem
Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by Nobody: 9:21am On Jul 13, 2013
Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by ooman(m): 10:20am On Jul 13, 2013
Logicboy03: 11 year old refused abortion despite being raped.

Thank you Jesus!
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/07/10/11-year-old-unable-to-have-abortion-in-chile-because-of-jesus/

What was that guy called Jesus thinking when an 11 years old was getting molested?

Is Jesus blind or something? Perhaps he's dead.
Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by Nobody: 11:26am On Jul 13, 2013
ooman:

What was that guy called Jesus thinking when an 11 years old was getting molested?

Is Jesus blind or something? Perhaps he's dead.

lol....
Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jul 14, 2013
Logicboy03: 11 year old refused abortion despite being raped.

Thank you Jesus!
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/07/10/11-year-old-unable-to-have-abortion-in-chile-because-of-jesus/
Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by MrTroll(m): 8:55pm On Jul 16, 2013
Watch our for the hare-brained comments as soon as this hits front page...
Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 8:14am On Jul 17, 2013
There is a servant of jesus moderating. this will never hit front page.
Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by Nobody: 9:19am On Jul 17, 2013
See who wants to debate on abortion! Nonsense.
A page with him, he will switch into his usual rant.

1 Like

Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by Nobody: 10:11am On Jul 17, 2013
Reyginus: See who wants to debate on abortion! Nonsense.
A page with him, he will switch into his usual rant.

Wow, thanks for the rant.....your butthurt doesnt change the facts stated in the op. Move along
Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by princesammmy: 10:22am On Jul 17, 2013
don't have time now
Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by Nobody: 10:49am On Jul 17, 2013
Logicboy03:

Wow, thanks for the rant.....your butthurt doesnt change the facts stated in the op. Move along
What do you call facts? Your hypermyopia to dismiss what you do not understand, that is.
Do you really want to debate?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is There Any Difference Between Holiness And Righteousness? / One Word To Describe Lucifer / When You Say "I Swear To God" (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.