Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,398 members, 7,808,430 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:50 AM

A Woman Combining Her Maiden With Her Husbands Name - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Woman Combining Her Maiden With Her Husbands Name (5840 Views)

The 6ft Tall Idanre Queen Who Outlived All Her Husbands (Photo) / The Wodaabe Fulani In Africa, Where Women Can Marry As Many Husbands (Photos) / Combining English With Native Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Woman Combining Her Maiden With Her Husbands Name by edatika(m): 4:42pm On May 23, 2006
the issue of women having compund surnames
that is, merging their father's name with that of their husbands

what's ur own view??
as a man: would u mind your wife to still use her maiden name combined with urs
as a woman: would you do so?and why? what if he objects?
Re: A Woman Combining Her Maiden With Her Husbands Name by kimba(m): 6:37pm On May 23, 2006
it would still be better to have a woman who combines her maiden name with mine, and who is the definition of Kimba's wife in all respects, rather than,

having someone who bears my name, gives me hell at home, making me to daily interceed for deliverance,
Re: A Woman Combining Her Maiden With Her Husbands Name by jaybaby(f): 8:44pm On Jun 10, 2006
IT'S A THING OF CHOICE -CAN C CELEBRITIES DOING IT! IF UR HUBBY DSNT FIND ANY WAHALA WITH IT! DO AM

1 Like

Re: A Woman Combining Her Maiden With Her Husbands Name by Coco29(f): 4:19pm On Jun 12, 2006
honey when i got i did not even change my name, more over i never used his (WHAT FOR)
Re: A Woman Combining Her Maiden With Her Husbands Name by desiree(f): 10:53pm On Jun 12, 2006
I would still like to keep my maiden name after marriage because of the complexity of changing names on documents and records.Any man would surely understand that.
Re: A Woman Combining Her Maiden With Her Husbands Name by edatika(m): 3:26pm On Jun 15, 2006
desiree:

I would still like to keep my maiden name after marriage because of the complexity of changing names on documents and records.Any man would surely understand that.

u cant just conclude like that, well i realy dont know where u r from, but generally, men from my part of the world (Nigeria- Yoruba precisely), except exceptional guys wld understand. cos i personally dont see dat as an excuse (complexity of changing names, ) when u pay dowry uv paid for all including name.

COCO29:

honey when i got i did not even change my name, more over i never used his (WHAT FOR)
well really it really depends on him, happy for u, but i still appreciate the fact that from u use my surname(if i were him).u said what 4??.same it's my culture

i think it has a lot to do with your cultural backgrd. and ur personal opinion.
Re: A Woman Combining Her Maiden With Her Husbands Name by desiree(f): 5:48pm On Jun 15, 2006
edatika:

u can't just conclude like that, well i realy don't know where you're from, but generally, men from my part of the world (Nigeria- Yoruba precisely), except exceptional guys would understand. because i personally don't see that as an excuse (complexity of changing names, ) when u pay dowry uv paid for all including name.
well really it really depends on him, happy for u, but i still appreciate the fact that from u use my surname(if i were him).u said what 4??.same it's my culture

i think it has a lot to do with your cultural backgrd. and your personal opinion.

So because a man paid your dowry you must give up your life to him life- meaning livelihood as well. I would bear his name, yes fine (before God and those that care to know) but i will not go into the tedious process of changing my name as it appears on certificates, bank records, National insurance and Health records etc, that is absolutely unnecessary. If I was living in Nigeria that would be another story entirely and besides my Yoruba culture does not stipulate paying the bride price.  undecided
Re: A Woman Combining Her Maiden With Her Husbands Name by edatika(m): 1:25pm On Jun 16, 2006
Desiree,
so u are even yoruba,
anyway, like i said it depends on the guy
and mind u, u dont have to change your names on your certificates et al.
just d name u use regularly, put nee, (for example: Mrs Ngozi John (nee James))
that will cater for the records,

u sound like one tough girl, kilode.
u really dont have go do all the tedioous tasks,
maybe u dont even wish to settle down wit a Nigerian (cos u aint in Nigeria) talk less of a yoruba.
Re: A Woman Combining Her Maiden With Her Husbands Name by desiree(f): 1:31pm On Jun 16, 2006
edatika:

maybe u don't even wish to settle down wit a Nigerian (because u aint in Nigeria) talk less of a yoruba.

wink wink wink maybe, maybe not!!! it all depends.
Re: A Woman Combining Her Maiden With Her Husbands Name by edatika(m): 5:25pm On Jun 16, 2006
even if u settle with a Nigerian, he just might not mind your retaining ur father's name,

but if he was like me,
Re: A Woman Combining Her Maiden With Her Husbands Name by Memunah(f): 12:42pm On Sep 28, 2006
i would like it but it all depends on what he likes but i don't think getting married means throwing my father's name to the trash so i will like to use both names(husband and my father's name)
Re: A Woman Combining Her Maiden With Her Husbands Name by toyboy1(m): 3:55pm On Oct 16, 2006
HI GUYS,
WATS IN A NAME - ITS JUST A FREAKING IDENTITY.
IF MY WIFEY WANTS TO BEAR HER ANCESTORS NAME FROM HEAVEN/HELL SO BE IT.
IT DOESNT BOTHER ME ONE SHIT.
BUT MY KIDS, cool
THEY GATCHA BEAR MY NAME FOR AS LONG AS TRHEY REMAIN MY KIDS UNTIL THEY R OF AGE.
IF THEM LIKE THEN MAKE THEM GO BEAR STONE/BUSH/TAYLOR/WWOD/SHIT SEF NA THEM SABI
grin grin grin
Re: A Woman Combining Her Maiden With Her Husbands Name by jaybaby(f): 3:22pm On Oct 18, 2006
oKEY oooooooooooo @ TOY
Re: A Woman Combining Her Maiden With Her Husbands Name by ThoniaSlim(f): 12:02am On Jan 04, 2007
@toy boy
grin

@topic
sure i would like to bear my middle name which happens to be my dad's name cause its so cool. tongue but definitely not my surname cause it would just be to long bearing my dad's name,surname and my husband's name.
Re: A Woman Combining Her Maiden With Her Husbands Name by diyobdw(f): 11:43am On Jan 04, 2007
it becoming popuplar
Except you have made a name with that surname and you dont just want to drop it like- thats fine.
But the new trend of women that just do it to feel funky- i dont dig it at all.

For me am ready to fling my surname at any time T. I would promote being me not being my father's child. cool
Re: A Woman Combining Her Maiden With Her Husbands Name by mukina2: 11:49am On Jan 04, 2007
most women do it her anyway . .some names when combined are nice
others are awkward angry
but on the whole i don't think i'll combine my maiden name with my husbands name

i have been carrying that maiden name since birth , its time for a change . i am gettin married so i have to drop it ,
Re: A Woman Combining Her Maiden With Her Husbands Name by diyobdw(f): 11:52am On Jan 04, 2007
exactly
Re: A Woman Combining Her Maiden With Her Husbands Name by mukina2: 11:54am On Jan 04, 2007
yeh now , papa;s own for long . . cheesy
Re: A Woman Combining Her Maiden With Her Husbands Name by iice(f): 2:31pm On Jan 04, 2007
I love my name, keeping it and will never change it
Re: A Woman Combining Her Maiden With Her Husbands Name by Gamine(f): 2:34pm On Jan 04, 2007
My name is my identity why shld i discard it?, if my hussies surname is Williams
my name is goina be Mrs E.A Anni-Williams, lol nice eh
Re: A Woman Combining Her Maiden With Her Husbands Name by diyobdw(f): 2:21pm On Jan 08, 2007
may be undecided
Re: A Woman Combining Her Maiden With Her Husbands Name by tng(f): 9:47am On Mar 06, 2007
i think women do this if they have an influential father; esp. if they marry a man that is not well known or out of love for their father. but either way, its alrite so far ur children bear his name.
Re: A Woman Combining Her Maiden With Her Husbands Name by LuciferFan(m): 11:32am On Mar 14, 2007
If my wife wants to keep her maiden name, let her remain unmarried, or better still, go marry her dad! The problem with people of this day is that they want to eat their cakes and still have it! Ain't it madness? That's one of the reasons why most of what they embark upon end up a flop! Sitting on the fence is not allowed in this world! Even the book says it - I will spit you out! tongue
Re: A Woman Combining Her Maiden With Her Husbands Name by kellorah: 12:56pm On Mar 14, 2007
i'd like to take jst my husband's name, but then again, i like my last name,
i'm still thinking about it, still got a long way to go grin
Re: A Woman Combining Her Maiden With Her Husbands Name by jiggo(m): 5:44pm On Mar 15, 2007
Any lady can own any property, but i still subscribe to the lady telling d husband, was trust not the basis of their marriage? Dont feel threatened jooo
Re: A Woman Combining Her Maiden With Her Husbands Name by Ndipe(m): 10:07pm On Mar 15, 2007
Not a big deal for a woman to combine her maiden name with her husband's last name. My mom did so, and I am referring to a couple who got married decades ago.

@Jigoo. Good answer. A woman can own properties, but she needs to tell her husband. Without doing so, means trust is lacking in the marriage. Moreoever, any man who embarks on the acquisition of property without consulting his wife is also disrespecting her.
Re: A Woman Combining Her Maiden With Her Husbands Name by busygirl(f): 4:28am On Mar 31, 2007
I don't think it's a bad idea.
Re: A Woman Combining Her Maiden With Her Husbands Name by charla(f): 10:37am On Apr 16, 2007
I will not change ma maiden name after marriage oh,simply 4 d fact dat ma dad's name is very posh-sonding.and i rilly wudnt want to change it to some ogbologbo name.
Re: A Woman Combining Her Maiden With Her Husbands Name by diyobdw(f): 5:35pm On Apr 16, 2007
HAve you considered marrying a guy whose dad's name is very posh-sonding like yours? grin
that could help cheesy
Re: A Woman Combining Her Maiden With Her Husbands Name by Ndipe(m): 2:51am On Apr 17, 2007
@charla, if your maiden name is so important to you, then give up on marriage!!!
Re: A Woman Combining Her Maiden With Her Husbands Name by naijadiva2(f): 10:13pm On Apr 17, 2007
@ topic

if i was married to someone of another nationality, i would combine my maiden name to my husband's because i would like my child to remember thier african roots. if its to another african/nigerian man, then i wouldn't make such a deal about combining my maiden name.
Re: A Woman Combining Her Maiden With Her Husbands Name by laudate: 8:10pm On May 02, 2007
Men who make such a big fuss about women combining their maiden name with their husband's name, seem to have an 'insecurity' complex. Guys with intact egos, are not really bothered about it.

Like I overheard a friend saying recently: "She can call herself whatever she likes, but at the end of the day, as long as she is in my bed & in my house doing what needs to be done to keep our family together, I really don't give a hoot."

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland / Best Wedding Pics, (urhobo Guy Vs Caribbean Model) / Which Tribe Has The Hardest Dancing Step

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.