Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,497 members, 7,808,845 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:49 PM

Photo-Journalist May Have Captured His Own Death On Camera In Egypt - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Photo-Journalist May Have Captured His Own Death On Camera In Egypt (17041 Views)

Islamic Militants BEHEADED U.S Journalist On Video!!! / Photos: Giant Snake Killed In Egypt Red Sea / South African Officers Caught On Camera Having Sex In A Hospital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Photo-Journalist May Have Captured His Own Death On Camera In Egypt by docjuli(m): 8:16am On Jul 11, 2013
A photographer filming a protest by members of Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood may have captured his own death on film.

Ahmed Samir Assem, 26, was photographing soldiers on rooftops outside the Egyptian Army’s Republican Guard officers’ club in Cairo Monday, where 51 people were killed in the deadliest night of violence in the last two weeks.

The footage shows an Egyptian soldier on a rooftop as he aims, fires and the screen goes to black. One hour later, Assem was reported dead.

“At around 6 a.m., a man came into the media center with a camera covered in blood and told us that one of our colleagues had been injured,” Ahmed Abu Zeid, editor of Al-Horia Wa Al-Adala, told The Daily Telegraph. “Around an hour later, I received news that Ahmed had been shot by a sniper in the forehead while filming or taking pictures on top of the buildings around the incident… Ahmed’s camera was the only one which filmed the entire incident from the first moment.”

Assem was on the front lines when intense fighting broke out Monday morning outside the officers’ club, where ousted president Mohammed Morsi was believed to be hiding out. It remains unclear who fired the first shot. The military maintains it fired in self-defense and the Muslim Brotherhood maintains that soldiers opened fire on a peaceful demonstration.

“We were starting morning prayers when we started hearing gunfire,” Mahmoud Fouad, 29, who was wounded on Monday, told ABC News. “They started shooting at us, bullets flying past our head. People were dying in front of me and everyone was getting hit in the back.”

Videos have also surfaced purporting to show Morsi-supporters attacking the army. ABC News is unable to confirm the exact circumstances of Monday’s violence that killed at least 51 and wounded more than 300.

But as the debate continues, the Brotherhood says Assem’s video will be used as evidence that the army is to blame for Monday’s massacre. A portion of the video attributed to Assem but not independently verified by ABC News, was shown at a Brotherhood press conference this week. Elsewhere, on Twitter, the Brotherhood mourned Assem’s death and posted a short video montage of the photographer’s life.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/07/photographer-captures-his-own-death-on-camera/
Re: Photo-Journalist May Have Captured His Own Death On Camera In Egypt by ninja4life(m): 8:27am On Jul 11, 2013
Rip man,well i dont think any nigerian reporter is ready to go to such length b4 making their reports.most of them na copy and paste they specializes in.i hope dey take their job seriously and expose d ills their polilical jobbers are doing to d country.
Wow today is my lucky day on nairaland,my post made nairaland frontpage now i'm d first 2 comment.dancing alingo oga seun what is my prize.lol

3 Likes

Re: Photo-Journalist May Have Captured His Own Death On Camera In Egypt by Nobody: 8:45am On Jul 11, 2013
ninja4life: Rip man,well i dont think any nigerian reporter is ready to go to such learnt b4 making their reports.most of them na copy and paste they specializes in.i hope dey take their job seriously and expose d ills their polilical jobbers are doing to d country.

You meant "LENGTH" right ?

Edited

3 Likes

Re: Photo-Journalist May Have Captured His Own Death On Camera In Egypt by Nobody: 8:53am On Jul 11, 2013
Damn!! this Arab ppl are fearless.. It is all or nothing for them..I salute them. In our own clime...we are only good at speaking long english and retiring to our bowls of fufu after smoking tear gas. grin cheesy

15 Likes

Re: Photo-Journalist May Have Captured His Own Death On Camera In Egypt by naptu2: 1:28pm On Jul 11, 2013
ninja4life: Rip man,well i dont think any nigerian reporter is ready to go to such learnt b4 making their reports.most of them na copy and paste they specializes in.i hope dey take their job seriously and expose d ills their polilical jobbers are doing to d country.

Enenche Akogwu. James Bagauda Kaltho.

5 Likes

Re: Photo-Journalist May Have Captured His Own Death On Camera In Egypt by AbuMikey(m): 1:29pm On Jul 11, 2013
cheesy

Re: Photo-Journalist May Have Captured His Own Death On Camera In Egypt by Adex097: 1:31pm On Jul 11, 2013
Abu Mikey: .

BUSTED!!!

1 Like

Re: Photo-Journalist May Have Captured His Own Death On Camera In Egypt by Kenny4lyfe(m): 1:32pm On Jul 11, 2013
RIP
Re: Photo-Journalist May Have Captured His Own Death On Camera In Egypt by Nobody: 1:32pm On Jul 11, 2013
Eyah...wat a pity...I jst hope it gets into the guiness book of record as d first person to record his death#eatin my bread and beans#
Re: Photo-Journalist May Have Captured His Own Death On Camera In Egypt by Adex097: 1:32pm On Jul 11, 2013
RIP to the over zealous freelance photographer
Re: Photo-Journalist May Have Captured His Own Death On Camera In Egypt by gistin123: 1:33pm On Jul 11, 2013
they pushed Mubarak out. see what they now face daily.

Re: Photo-Journalist May Have Captured His Own Death On Camera In Egypt by Neduzze5(m): 1:33pm On Jul 11, 2013
Hmmm

Reporter: Neduzze5, what do you have to say about this topic??

Me: Your papa there! I resemble Egyptian for ya eye?? Park one side oh!

No comments jare.

I no be Egyptian!

grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Photo-Journalist May Have Captured His Own Death On Camera In Egypt by camelus: 1:40pm On Jul 11, 2013
Hope Bill Gate buys the Photo !
Re: Photo-Journalist May Have Captured His Own Death On Camera In Egypt by Horus(m): 1:40pm On Jul 11, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo4SNhNepi8

The last image Ahmad captured was the face and rifle of his killer.
Re: Photo-Journalist May Have Captured His Own Death On Camera In Egypt by madjune(m): 1:44pm On Jul 11, 2013
NOW, WHAT HAS THE GUY ACHIEVED? IS IT SURPRISING THAT A SOLDIER SHOT HIM? SOLDIERS SHOOT PEOPLE, NOT RABBITS.
Re: Photo-Journalist May Have Captured His Own Death On Camera In Egypt by Ruthy81(f): 1:50pm On Jul 11, 2013
No comment!
Re: Photo-Journalist May Have Captured His Own Death On Camera In Egypt by KINGwax(m): 1:52pm On Jul 11, 2013
As boko haram don threaten our dear seun, C.E.O of nairaland so tay he put signboard say make nobody no harrass islam, i too don cover the truth in the matter and i go decieve myself, and tell them wetin dey wan hear say:

ISLAMIC RELIGION NA THE RELIGION OF PEACE.

Infact, na christians cause the problem wey we read for this story so.

Lobatan, abi?

2 Likes

Re: Photo-Journalist May Have Captured His Own Death On Camera In Egypt by FulaniBOII(m): 1:55pm On Jul 11, 2013
Neduzze5: Hmmm

Reporter: Neduzze5, what do you have to say about this topic??

Me: Your papa there! I resemble Egyptian for ya eye?? Park one side oh!

No comments jare.

I no be Egyptian!

grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Photo-Journalist May Have Captured His Own Death On Camera In Egypt by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jul 11, 2013
Disturbing development.

He wasn't fast enough to dock the Sniper's aimed Shot, hence he already caught him on camera.

RIP dude, thank Good heaven I'd be In an air-conditioned Studios and not those fields!
Re: Photo-Journalist May Have Captured His Own Death On Camera In Egypt by ninja4life(m): 2:02pm On Jul 11, 2013
~Bluetooth:

Edited
thanks 4 d correction.p
Re: Photo-Journalist May Have Captured His Own Death On Camera In Egypt by ninja4life(m): 2:02pm On Jul 11, 2013
~Bluetooth:

Edited
thanks 4 d correction.po
Re: Photo-Journalist May Have Captured His Own Death On Camera In Egypt by Madawaki01(m): 2:28pm On Jul 11, 2013
D sniper thought d camera was a gun

RIP
Re: Photo-Journalist May Have Captured His Own Death On Camera In Egypt by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jul 11, 2013
Madawaki01: D sniper thought d camera was a gun

RIP

Talking from a Nigerian Defence Academy Experience?
Re: Photo-Journalist May Have Captured His Own Death On Camera In Egypt by mamagee3(f): 2:46pm On Jul 11, 2013
Sad story!!
Re: Photo-Journalist May Have Captured His Own Death On Camera In Egypt by ELHOMBRE(m): 3:03pm On Jul 11, 2013
The Sniper probably thought the Camera was a gun. So, he offed him before the victim put a button hole to his forehead. It was a war zone. No rules. Later he'll realise he made a mistake. War ain't fair
Re: Photo-Journalist May Have Captured His Own Death On Camera In Egypt by ichommy(m): 3:14pm On Jul 11, 2013
Eya, so sad
Re: Photo-Journalist May Have Captured His Own Death On Camera In Egypt by Austeenxx: 3:19pm On Jul 11, 2013
cry RIP dude.
Re: Photo-Journalist May Have Captured His Own Death On Camera In Egypt by tevinsolt: 3:31pm On Jul 11, 2013
that's definitely not a sniper.....and that rifle looks like an AK 47.
Re: Photo-Journalist May Have Captured His Own Death On Camera In Egypt by AbuMikey(m): 3:50pm On Jul 11, 2013
Adex097:

BUSTED!!!
I hate You!!! angry
Re: Photo-Journalist May Have Captured His Own Death On Camera In Egypt by bealuv(f): 3:53pm On Jul 11, 2013
ninja4life: thanks 4 d correction.po
~Bluetooth:

Edited
[quote author=ninja4life]Rip man,well i dont think any nigerian reporter is ready to go to such length b4 making their reports.most of them na copy and paste they specializes in.i hope dey take their job seriously and expose d ills their polilical jobbers are doing to d country.
Wow today is my lucky day on nairaland,my post made nairaland frontpage now i'm d first 2 comment.[\quote]

lol
Re: Photo-Journalist May Have Captured His Own Death On Camera In Egypt by tollytexy(m): 4:26pm On Jul 11, 2013
Shey the camera man die? shocked embarassed
Re: Photo-Journalist May Have Captured His Own Death On Camera In Egypt by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jul 11, 2013
ninja4life: Rip man,well i dont think any nigerian reporter is ready to go to such length b4 making their reports.most of them na copy and paste they specializes in.i hope dey take their job seriously and expose d ills their polilical jobbers are doing to d country.
Wow today is my lucky day on nairaland,my post made nairaland frontpage now i'm d first 2 comment.dancing alingo oga seun what is my prize.lol
ChannelsTV reporter was a kinda hero in Kano state barely two years ago. May his soul RIP. He was covering an exchange of fire between the BH boys and the NPF at the NPF divisional headqtr Farm Centre, Along Zaria road. Kano state. When he was also fired.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cocaine To Overtake Crude Oil As Colombia’s Main Export After $18.2b Revenue / 91 Heads Of State To Attend Mandela's Memorial Service / Breaking: Khamis Gaddafi Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.