Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,433 members, 7,808,549 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:18 PM

JAMB PCE Fallout: Youths Showing Dwindling Interest in Polytechnics - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / JAMB PCE Fallout: Youths Showing Dwindling Interest in Polytechnics (1575 Views)

Opinion: Top 10 Polytechnics In Nigeria / FG Reaction On ASUP Strike In Polytechnics / Website adress of private polytechnics in Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

JAMB PCE Fallout: Youths Showing Dwindling Interest in Polytechnics by Hndholder(m): 12:22pm On Aug 22, 2005
The dwindling interest youths were showing in Polytechnics (JAMB PCE Fallout)

JAMB Expresses Concern Over Poor PCE Enrolment

Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) yesterday expressed unhappiness over the dwindling interest youths were showing in Monotechnics, Polytechnics and Colleges of Education Matriculation Examination (PCE).
JAMB Registrar, Prof. Bello Salim, raised the alarm, lamenting that technological development in the country was in grave danger if the trend was not checked.

He said about 150,000 candidates were expected to sit for this year's examination this weekend, adding that "this number compare to 215,000 candidates who sat for the 2004 Poly JAMB indicates a decrease of 30.24 per cent."
He said Nigerian youths were systematically shunning technical and teacher education, judging from the pattern of application for the forth-coming examination and in the last couple of years.

Warning that the development, no doubt, portends great danger for the nation's quest for technological development.

http://thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=25513 (username 'nairaland', password 'nairaland')
Re: JAMB PCE Fallout: Youths Showing Dwindling Interest in Polytechnics by Hndholder(m): 12:59pm On Aug 22, 2005
A welcome development, and that will be the begining of the end of Useless HND certificate.
Re: JAMB PCE Fallout: Youths Showing Dwindling Interest in Polytechnics by Seun(m): 1:13pm On Aug 22, 2005
"Discriminatory policies of government that placed university graduates over and above their counterparts from polytechnics and colleges of education must have been the reason for the low turn-out at the Monotechnics, Polytechnics and Colleges of Education examination weekend.

"Most candidates, who spoke to THISDAY, said they were only taking the examination as an alternative should they perform below expectation in the University Matriculation Examination (UME)."

http://thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=26006 (username 'nairaland', password 'nairaland')
Re: JAMB PCE Fallout: Youths Showing Dwindling Interest in Polytechnics by Hndholder(m): 2:12pm On Aug 22, 2005
It is very sad that the government can not do something better to resolve this issue. Thank u seun for this post. May I know what this password of nairaland stand for?
Re: JAMB PCE Fallout: Youths Showing Dwindling Interest in Polytechnics by drbigdaddyg(m): 5:21pm On Oct 13, 2005
Anything can happen. Afterall, Polyt.... has been very useless to me.
Re: JAMB PCE Fallout: Youths Showing Dwindling Interest in Polytechnics by Hndholder(m): 8:15am On Oct 14, 2005
Even close down the polytechnic?

I thank God that the polytechnic gave life to me.
Re: JAMB PCE Fallout: Youths Showing Dwindling Interest in Polytechnics by drbigdaddyg(m): 9:27am On Oct 14, 2005
You are among the lucky ones because people now are regretting why they ever suffered themselves for that school.
Re: JAMB PCE Fallout: Youths Showing Dwindling Interest in Polytechnics by Hndholder(m): 9:50am On Oct 14, 2005
drbigdaddyg:

You are among the lucky ones because people now are regretting why they ever suffered themselves for that school.

How about NCE holders , What of degree holders I do not think is the HND is the person trying to call himself what is not. you must love your worth,
Why do they chose polytechnic when Universities are there?

Na your choice, any how he deooooooo
Re: JAMB PCE Fallout: Youths Showing Dwindling Interest in Polytechnics by drbigdaddyg(m): 9:56am On Oct 14, 2005
I think people choose it when they've got no other choice.
Re: JAMB PCE Fallout: Youths Showing Dwindling Interest in Polytechnics by Hndholder(m): 10:10am On Oct 14, 2005
That is the point and the reason they are treated that way. They believe it is for the drop outs. it is time to prove it that I DR O. P. ......... had HND and I am HND holder and I love it I'm not a drop out. Start any how and get to the top.
drbigdaddyg:

I think people choose it when they've got no other choice.

in did they will never like it because it was not their choice even if it is the best for their ability

People listen to SOCIETY dictates, I never do that I only knew why I got to the polytechnics that is all I use the Advantages their in.
Re: JAMB PCE Fallout: Youths Showing Dwindling Interest in Polytechnics by drbigdaddyg(m): 10:29am On Oct 14, 2005
Sometimes, It is not their faults. They are only being scared by the little regard most instutions and companies give to graduates from their schools. Someone from Poly... was complaining to me that despite the practicals their schools are noted for, the universities' graduates are rather chosen than they, poly.. grads during interview.
In view of this, I feel we can be able to restore this situation by giving equal consideration to people from both schools.
Re: JAMB PCE Fallout: Youths Showing Dwindling Interest in Polytechnics by Hndholder(m): 10:48am On Oct 14, 2005
If they prove their worth they will pick them. I got my first job like that I was the only HND picked after all the tests.

If an HND holder want to be executive or management trainnee, That is not his area so nobody will call him for interview, as at now no way for HND holder at Executive cadres.
Re: JAMB PCE Fallout: Youths Showing Dwindling Interest in Polytechnics by holyghost(m): 4:03am On Oct 16, 2005
tell me who will chose a training program that is limiting in benefits? and i will show you a desperate person.

Govt. should give the polytechnics equal opportunity as they did give the universities. if they think that poly is not that important they can scrap it or increase the year to six years to march university equivalent.

it has be so because everybody wants to prove his worth in life. so how will one want to embark on what will make them inferior before others (after all we all went to the same secondary school or college and probably you were better then some that got UME. only the almighty Jamb is now making you lower

if you can recall during our secondary sch. days class A, B, C are regarded as the best classes and we all wished we were there but we took solace that the fact remains we are getting the same treatment and certificate after six years.

so if they want to see improved enrollment into poly they should give it a befitting benefits equal to universities even if it means
increasing the course content and year of complition or revise the trend and university will suffer similar fate( after all most Igbos now prefare trade to sch. since capital makes the man in Nigeria use what i mean by limiting benefits) after all Governors that are doctorate holders relays on semi illiterates as god fathers (Na so we dey see am for Nijaa!!)
Re: JAMB PCE Fallout: Youths Showing Dwindling Interest in Polytechnics by Hndholder(m): 9:06am On Oct 17, 2005
You wish to go to University now but something held you back just like me. I pass the JAMB then I had 9 credits at a sitting. I wanted medicine which my people can not pay for then I opted for the polytechnic.
So let convert all polytechnic to university will that be better?
Re: JAMB PCE Fallout: Youths Showing Dwindling Interest in Polytechnics by drbigdaddyg(m): 9:10am On Oct 17, 2005
Well, there is a point there. This world is really changing, everybody is almost comfortable and can afford paying schoolfees for even the most expensive University. So, this will mean there will be declination in Poly.. attendance.
Re: JAMB PCE Fallout: Youths Showing Dwindling Interest in Polytechnics by Hndholder(m): 9:18am On Oct 17, 2005
That is the worry. Thanks to obasanjo for doing that. HND holder he is and he also witness the discrimination a little.
Re: JAMB PCE Fallout: Youths Showing Dwindling Interest in Polytechnics by drbigdaddyg(m): 9:34am On Oct 17, 2005
Anyways, I'm really confused for this nation's educational system. Look at post jamb exams being rejected now after all money spent to host them.
Re: JAMB PCE Fallout: Youths Showing Dwindling Interest in Polytechnics by Hndholder(m): 9:41am On Oct 17, 2005
I was registered before Obasanjo in COREN. NSE gave him a fellow and Coren got him registered just when he became president only in 2000. You see they are all confused. Using British system of working and applying American system of education. Confusion I say.
Re: JAMB PCE Fallout: Youths Showing Dwindling Interest in Polytechnics by drbigdaddyg(m): 11:01am On Oct 17, 2005
I am still referring our problems to pre-mature independence
Re: JAMB PCE Fallout: Youths Showing Dwindling Interest in Polytechnics by Hndholder(m): 12:17pm On Oct 17, 2005
Honesly, You are right.

(1) (Reply)

Ambrose Alli University Resumes! / Interlink Polytechnic Anybody With Info / What Are The Benefits Of Being A University Student?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.