Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,429 members, 7,808,531 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:06 PM

Car Talk Chat Room - Car Talk (40) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Talk Chat Room (521798 Views)

Car Talk Chat Room / Car Talk Library / Do Not Post Sales Or Adverts In Car Talk Section (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (222) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Car Talk Chat Room by kkon(m): 7:50am On Nov 26, 2016
My steering wheel fluid is alway leaking away i asked my mechanic and he said it is steering box. Pls can anyone expantiate on this and the cost of this steering box.
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by nurey(m): 9:27am On Nov 26, 2016
kkon:
My steering wheel fluid is alway leaking away i asked my mechanic and he said it is steering box. Pls can anyone expantiate on this and the cost of this steering box.

You have to investigate it your self first. Park your car on a dry spot, go there the next day early in the morning and notice the spot that is wet or showing oil patch on the ground, then you have pin point where the oil is leaking from. Now snap that spot clearly, come to Nairaland, create your own thread showing a clear pix and let the gurus confirm whether it can be repaired or changed out rightly that's if you don't trust your mechanic Sha.
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by favoured247(m): 12:48pm On Nov 27, 2016
Afolabisemiu:
favoured247, is the car consuming fuel like mine? cos I was told something like that, but when I went to check few auto websites majority said the catalyst converter is always made to serve each car for its life span but can occasionally get spoilt.
i think so. because I spend more fuel covering same distance with oda pple
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by naturalhealth7: 6:27pm On Nov 27, 2016
Please i want to know your view on disconnecting gearbox from radiator because of transmission oil and coolant mix in gearbox. I think the cooling effect from the radiator will help the auto gearbox performance. What is the best way to solve this problem. Is it total disconnection or replacing the radiator. The gearbox still works perfectly but the gearbox and the radiator has been disconnected because that is the best option now as suggested by a gearbox mechanic. But I think this should be a short term measure,or is this option okay for a long period
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by erico2k2(m): 9:10pm On Nov 27, 2016
uchman:

Good morning
I did the conversion here before sending it to Nigeria
Ok noted
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by erico2k2(m): 9:12pm On Nov 27, 2016
naturalhealth7:
Please i want to know your view on disconnecting gearbox from radiator because of transmission oil and coolant mix in gearbox. I think the cooling effect from the radiator will help the auto gearbox performance. What is the best way to solve this problem. Is it total disconnection or replacing the radiator. The gearbox still works perfectly but the gearbox and the radiator has been disconnected because that is the best option now as suggested by a gearbox mechanic. But I think this should be a short term measure,or is this option okay for a long period
I cant understand in %100 what your question is but my advice DO NOT REMOVE ANY PART OF YOUR CAR THAT HAS A FUNCTION TO ITS MOBILITY.
It was put there for a purpose.Replace not remove.
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by naturalhealth7: 9:58pm On Nov 27, 2016
erico2k2:

I cant understand in %100 what your question is but my advice DO NOT REMOVE ANY PART OF YOUR CAR THAT HAS A FUNCTION TO ITS MOBILITY.
It was put there for a purpose.Replace not remove.
Thank you for your prompt response, their was a mixture of radiator coolant with the transmission oil and the gearbox oil was flushed and replaced, the gearbox still performs well. The suggestion is that for radiator coolant to stop mixing with the transmission oil, the radiator must be separated from the gearbox. Thereby disconnecting the cooling line between the radiator and the gearbox. My questions are, is this the best option. Because I believe that this cooling link between the gearbox and the radiator is important to the life of the transmission, secondly can this be solved by replacing the radiator. I hope you understand me. Once more thank you
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by nurey(m): 10:13pm On Nov 27, 2016
naturalhealth7:
Thank you for your prompt response, their was a mixture of radiator coolant with the transmission oil and the gearbox oil was flushed and replaced, the gearbox still performs well. The suggestion is that for radiator coolant to stop mixing with the transmission oil, the radiator must be separated from the gearbox. Thereby disconnecting the cooling line between the radiator and the gearbox. My questions are, is this the best option. Because I believe that this cooling link between the gearbox and the radiator is important to the life of the transmission, secondly can this be solved by replacing the radiator. I hope you understand me. Once more thank you

I guess the car in question is a 2017 ford Mustang fast back. Start by telling us the make, model and year of manufacture. If it's a Nissan which I think it is, you need to do a by pass of the radiator. Answer my first question first.
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by naturalhealth7: 10:52pm On Nov 27, 2016
nurey:

I guess the car in question is a 2017 ford Mustang fast back. Start by telling us the make, model and year of manufacture. If it's a Nissan which I think it is, you need to do a by pass of the radiator. Answer my first question first.
The vehicle in question is a Toyota sienna 2004, the transmission performs well, I just want to understand the long term effect of this disconnection or bypass if we choose it to call it that. Can the transmission survive without the cooling effect from the radiator. Is there other possible better ways of fixing radiator coolant and transmission oil mix in the gearbox without total disconnection or bypass. Once more I appreciate your concern.
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by nurey(m): 5:17am On Nov 28, 2016
naturalhealth7:
The vehicle in question is a Toyota sienna 2004, the transmission performs well, I just want to understand the long term effect of this disconnection or bypass if we choose it to call it that. Can the transmission survive without the cooling effect from the radiator. Is there other possible better ways of fixing radiator coolant and transmission oil mix in the gearbox without total disconnection or bypass. Once more I appreciate your concern.

Your transmission would survive but won't last. It's better to nip the problem in the bud.

Solution
1. You can by pass the radiator and fix an OEM external cooler for the transmission

2. Change the radiator completely as the internal hose is the one screwing with you, it is damaged .

You must do a complete flush of the tranny With the recommended ATF and pray your tranny components aren't toast. I didn't say drain and refill, I said complete, total undiluted flushing of the transmission. Good luck
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by kingreign(m): 8:24am On Nov 28, 2016
naturalhealth7:

Your story is fake or untrue or something don't just add up.
Your transmission ALWAYS comes with an external transmission cooler desperate from the radiator. Its same transmission used in RX330, Highlander 04-07, Camry 2005 V6 and they all have external transmission coolers. How come yours don't have such?
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by nurey(m): 8:30am On Nov 28, 2016
kingreign:

Your transmission ALWAYS comes with an external transmission cooler desperate from the radiator. Its same transmission used in RX330, Highlander 04-07, Camry 2005 V6 and they all have external transmission coolers. How come yours don't have such?

That issue is associated with 04 sienna as I found online. So his issue may be true
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by kingreign(m): 8:41am On Nov 28, 2016
nurey:

That issue is associated with 04 sienna as I found online. So his issue may be true

I don work on siennas taya especially units with 3MZFE and 2GRFE mated to a U151E/U151F transmission. And i will say it, there's something NOT adding up.
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by naturalhealth7: 10:38am On Nov 28, 2016
kingreign:

Your transmission comes with an external transmission cooler desperate from the radiator. Its same transmission used in RX330, Highlander 04-07, Camry 2005 V6 and they all have external transmission coolers. How come yours don't have such?
I don't really understand what you mean by fake or untrue. Are you saying that it is impossible for radiator to leak coolant into the transmission in sienna 04?. Are you saying that the transmission cooler in 04 Toyota sienna is external or internal? I gained a lot from the suggestions of NUREY may God bless him. After your comment calling my story fake and untrue, I began to doubt my gearbox mechanic, but I went online did a search and observed that I am not alone, some other persons using 04 model have the same problem. I have already decided to replace the radiator and connect all that was disconnected. thank you for your comment because you just pushed me into doing more research and I will do more. Once again thank you
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by Afolabisemiu: 11:09am On Nov 28, 2016
I think I experienced something similar abt three weeks ago. let me share. I observed that my movements was not in proportion with my throttling. it was like that for like 3 day but the fourth day when I had a long journey my tyre got burst.I still didn't take note because I thought d tyre has expired. the next day was when I discovered inside go-slow that my car will remain in one place on a flat surface of the road even when. released my foot on the brake the car won't move at all until I place my foot on the throttle. this is unusual to a n automatic transmission. then when I came out of the hold-up and accelerated for like 10 minutes I perceived a smell like a burnt clutch. but I know my car doesn't have clutch pedal. I quiclky pack to check whether the one of the tyre is touching the body. it then I realised that a smoke was coming out of my tyre rim, qhen I observed closely I saw it was coming out of the brake caliper. I quiclky called my mechanic and he immediately told me what happened and that was it. the piston inside the caliper got stuck and that make the brake got grip to the brake disc. a branched to a nearby mechanic who helped me to loose the tyre and run the caliper piston. it was then I knew the damage that small fault did to my vehicle. my tyre got burst, the new tyre also got somehow twisted and it gulped my fuel qnd a slight impact on my car engine
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by Afolabisemiu: 4:45pm On Nov 29, 2016
Good afternoon house, please i have an issue here. I compalined last week that my camry is consuming fuel and i usually percieved fuel odour while driving but i never witnessed any fuel drop under my car. But today while browsing i came across what is called EGR P0401, and I observed that this EGR of a thing is never is my car. I can adeuquately say both the EGR valve and vacuum Modulator are never in my car. But iremeber a day that I observed this missing part while I was with my Mechanic, because I saw that about three other Camry I saw there, they all have thses two devices I mentioned. When Iasked my Mechanic heonly told me that, that is the way my own is built. But I never see any single Toyota Camry 1999 like mine that doesnt have. My question now is is1. are there those 1999 toyota camry cars that dont have this EGRvalve and Vcuum modulator and 2. Could it be that the missing of thses two devices are some of the cause of my car highly fuel consumptiom? Please make you una help me o. I can no more drive my car to long distance bacause I see that if care is not taken I will end up using my lat kobo to fuel my car. I have attached the two devices i am talking about in this post
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by Afolabisemiu: 4:46pm On Nov 29, 2016
Good afternoon house, please i have an issue here. I compalined last week that my camry is consuming fuel and i usually percieved fuel odour while driving but i never witnessed any fuel drop under my car. But today while browsing i came across what is called EGR P0401, and I observed that this EGR of a thing is never is my car. I can adeuquately say both the EGR valve and vacuum Modulator are never in my car. But iremeber a day that I observed this missing part while I was with my Mechanic, because I saw that about three other Camry I saw there, they all have thses two devices I mentioned. When Iasked my Mechanic heonly told me that, that is the way my own is built. But I never see any single Toyota Camry 1999 like mine that doesnt have. My question now is is1. are there those 1999 toyota camry cars that dont have this EGRvalve and Vcuum modulator and 2. Could it be that the missing of thses two devices are some of the cause of my car highly fuel consumptiom? Please make you una help me o. I can no more drive my car to long distance bacause I see that if care is not taken I will end up using my lat kobo to fuel my car.
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by honmusa(m): 4:53am On Nov 30, 2016
Afolabisemiu:
Good afternoon house, please i have an issue here. I compalined last week that my camry is consuming fuel and i usually percieved fuel odour while driving but i never witnessed any fuel drop under my car. But today while browsing i came across what is called EGR P0401, and I observed that this EGR of a thing is never is my car. I can adeuquately say both the EGR valve and vacuum Modulator are never in my car. But iremeber a day that I observed this missing part while I was with my Mechanic, because I saw that about three other Camry I saw there, they all have thses two devices I mentioned. When Iasked my Mechanic heonly told me that, that is the way my own is built. But I never see any single Toyota Camry 1999 like mine that doesnt have. My question now is is1. are there those 1999 toyota camry cars that dont have this EGRvalve and Vcuum modulator and 2. Could it be that the missing of thses two devices are some of the cause of my car highly fuel consumptiom? Please make you una help me o. I can no more drive my car to long distance bacause I see that if care is not taken I will end up using my lat kobo to fuel my car.
Take some pictures of your engine and let see.
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by hayor2014(m): 11:21pm On Dec 03, 2016
Please how much is the ABS for Toyota solara 2003 sold for,want to connoisseur with the price my mechanic #25000 told me and he said to service my gear, what will that take
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by velociraptor: 7:24pm On Dec 05, 2016
pls does anyone have info on nissan murano 2006. the car looks very appealing and i need to know if its kk to go for it
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by ojigbijigbi: 5:02am On Dec 06, 2016
Afolabisemiu:
bro I'm in your shoes. Mine is getting out of hand
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by drdre09(m): 9:21am On Dec 08, 2016
I have some cars for sale

Re: Car Talk Chat Room by SayeJoe(m): 12:19pm On Dec 08, 2016
Need a professional upholsery for your Car that will transform the interior of your car to lovely look call 08068925380 Or 08137436932

Re: Car Talk Chat Room by mogatti: 6:39pm On Dec 08, 2016
For you original launch diagnostic scanner from Dubai (launch X431 pro 2016) contact me on 09 059 3547 52
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by 3kay945(m): 7:34pm On Dec 08, 2016
Pls, guys, what is the best engine oil for Toyota Rav4 ?.
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by nurey(m): 7:27am On Dec 09, 2016
3kay945:

There is no best oil, only recommended oil weight. Check your engine cap, it should be there, or your owners manual it would be stated you can also download the owner manual incase you don't have hard copy.

What year is your rav4, also is it tokunbo or you have been rocking it for a while.

What is your mileage
What engine oil name and weight were you using before and how long?

5W30 or 0W30 should be OK.
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by autotrader2: 8:15am On Dec 09, 2016
3kay945:

The OEM recommended Oil is Toyota Motor Oil. For the 4 cylinder Rav4, the required grade is 5w20 while the V6 version requires 5w30 Oil grade.

Call 09086679585 to get the Toyota Oil

Re: Car Talk Chat Room by chucksbadt(m): 11:35am On Dec 09, 2016
good day house, i recently changed the engine oil for my mums 2003 Rav 4 Jeep. I used Toyota motor Engine Oil 5w-20 4 liter.
I really dont know if thats the right oil cos on her engine cap, the oil type wasnt indicated, so i actually took the advice of my mechanic instead.
Attached is the oil type.

Re: Car Talk Chat Room by autotrader2: 11:51am On Dec 09, 2016
chucksbadt:
good day house, i recently changed the engine oil for my mums 2003 Rav 4 Jeep. I used Toyota motor Engine Oil 5w-20 4 liter.
I really dont know if thats the right oil cos on her engine cap, the oil type wasnt indicated, so i actually took the advice of my mechanic instead.
Attached is the oil type.

@chuksbadt, you have the right oil. I believe you got the oil from me. You should be experiencing improved engine response and performance now. Btw, I thought you told me it was a 2006 model
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by 3kay945(m): 8:38pm On Dec 09, 2016
nurey:

There is no best oil, only recommended oil weight. Check your engine cap, it should be there, or your owners manual it would be stated you can also download the owner manual incase you don't have hard copy.

What year is your rav4, also is it tokunbo or you have been rocking it for a while.

What is your mileage
What engine oil name and weight were you using before and how long?

5W30 or 0W30 should be OK.

It's reg. Rav4 02 model. The mileage is 124k plus but I don't trust it.
Also,.. I don't know what engine oil has been used before.
Thanks for responding Sir.
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by Jsinger: 10:17pm On Dec 09, 2016
Vehicle Diagnosis is important bt lots of car users in Nigeria do not know dat, I have seen a case wer local mechanics condemn good cars all Cuz dey don't know how modern cars work. Sharing this Cuz I was once a victim. There are lots of good automobile consultants to call for ur vehicle diagnosis. Here is a number of one of d consultants I trust 0805 349 5392

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (222) (Reply)

Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars / Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Mercedes Benz Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.