Stats: 3,148,352 members, 7,800,703 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:20 AM

Car Talk Chat Room - Car Talk (60) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Talk Chat Room (520716 Views)

Car Talk Chat Room / Car Talk Library / Do Not Post Sales Or Adverts In Car Talk Section (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) ... (222) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Car Talk Chat Room by ApotiEriOluwa1(f): 3:25pm On Sep 20, 2017
J
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by chucksbadt(m): 7:30pm On Sep 20, 2017
Hi guys

I'm planning to buy a Nigerian used golf 4
The owner said the only problem with the car is that I'll have to change the plug wire
What's the cost estimate of doing that?
Also is golf 4 easy to maintain for an average salary earner?
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by nurey(m): 8:17pm On Sep 20, 2017
chucksbadt:
Hi guys

The owner said the only problem with the car is that I'll have to change the plug wire

Golf 4 comes with an aluminum engine which doesn't tolerate overheating, has a plethora of wiring that gives the average mechanic headache. If you look at the engine bay and see wires like a seamstress shop please run except you are buying the mechanic along with the car.

Also take along someone that knows about car to help you check only plug wire can turn to something else once you have paid

Re: Car Talk Chat Room by chucksbadt(m): 8:55pm On Sep 20, 2017
nurey:

Golf 4 comes with an aluminum engine which doesn't tolerate overheating, has a plethora of wiring that gives the average mechanic headache. If you look at the engine bay and see wires like a seamstress shop please run except you are buying the mechanic along with the car.

Also take along someone that knows about car to help you check only plug wire can turn to something else once you have paid

Thanks for the feedback sir
So assuming i go with a Mechanic, and he's able to certify that it's only the plug wire that's bad, i can go ahead with the deal?
The buyer is selling it at N380k, am really tempted.
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by rafiky: 9:17pm On Sep 20, 2017
erico2k2:

well you going to spend more money to convert it than buying a LHD,U cud have bought the parts B4 shipping, then do it @ lagos,I take it this is your 1st time your best bet is to take it to ladipo
How do I locate good mechanic,who can convert it without issue,I mean someone that can use the right parts without cutting corners,based on what @siena,@koka50,You and other good guys on this forum advocate for.
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by nurey(m): 7:15am On Sep 21, 2017
chucksbadt:

So assuming i go with a Mechanic, and he's able to certify that it's only the plug wire that's bad, i can go ahead with the deal?

Yes, you can buy, other problems could be easily fixed if you have checked the major things remember to confirm the gear conditions if automatic, check the dip stick color and then test drive reaching 100km if the gear is faulty or engine still faulty you will notice it in motion
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by nurey(m): 7:19am On Sep 21, 2017
chucksbadt:

Go to ladipo or owode onirin in Lagos @ mile12 and find a wrecked Kia optima and harvest whatever you need from it. The mechanic to do the conversion would list needed parts as I am not too conversant I can't list all you would need. Talk to these guys to give you a list from a donor vehicle

Cc honmusa, mayor123, Kingreign make una assist this man
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by kingreign(m): 7:30am On Sep 21, 2017
hian! Bros be kiaful shaaa
chucksbadt:
Hi guys

Re: Car Talk Chat Room by honmusa(m): 8:05am On Sep 21, 2017
chucksbadt:

Don't go with road side mechanic, go with a competent and recommended auto technician that has good knowledge of Volkswagen systems to help you check the whole systems as a whole!!!
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by erico2k2(m): 11:07am On Sep 21, 2017
rafiky:

How do I locate good mechanic,who can convert it without issue,I mean someone that can use the right parts without cutting corners,based on what @siena,@koka50,You and other good guys on this forum advocate for.
Go to Ladipo without the car, take your time and do a scan of the area, check to see who has done same car as yours.
Now to reduce cost you have to know what is going to be changed in your car,some part of your dash could be re used, these you dont need to buy as thet will have no orientation ie left and right.Once you know waht part of dash not to buy then you go for teh basics.
The major part of concern is your steering rack as that is the only Mechanical part that is changed others are lose and tight.
if you snap closely the Dashboard and the door card, i can tell yo if if they are good to get into the LHD or if U need to buy them altogether.
What ever you do never let anyone Cut your dashboard, they do this to cut corners!
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by chucksbadt(m): 11:21am On Sep 21, 2017
kingreign:
hian! Bros be kiaful shaaa

hmmmm.........sounds like you've had a bad experience with the Golf 4......please tell me more about it
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by kayode1759(m): 9:36pm On Sep 21, 2017
Please house,I have spacewagon Mitsubishi , I notice it's consuming fuel because I travel from abeokuta to ife and thru and flows and use 10k fuel.
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by mmb(m): 7:25am On Sep 23, 2017
it is advisable to buy a non drivable car from auction export?
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by NLOwner(m): 8:04am On Sep 23, 2017
mmb:
it is advisable to buy a non drivable car from auction export?

Not advisable...

Better buy an accidented car that drives than to buy a clean almost new car with a drivetrain wahala...
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by menstrualpad: 12:20pm On Sep 23, 2017
nurey:

Nurey Nissan Xterra vs Toyota Previa.... Used. Your views please.
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by nurey(m): 1:49pm On Sep 23, 2017
menstrualpad:

Nurey Nissan Xterra vs Toyota Previa.... Used. Your views please.

Nissan easy to inspect and work on previa not so considering where the engine and transmission are located.

In good condition I will pick the xterra more recent and easy to diagnose, previa is good on gas but the last I entered was Lagos to abeokuta shocks were non existent dash board was just for. Design.
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by menstrualpad: 1:54pm On Sep 23, 2017
nurey:

Nissan easy to inspect and work on previa not so considering where the engine and transmission are located.

In good condition I will pick the xterra more recent and easy to diagnose, previa is good on gas but the last I entered was Lagos to abeokuta shocks were non existent dash board was just for. Design.
available options 9ja used xtera a and a toks previa.. what is ur take?
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by computerglobal(m): 2:30pm On Sep 23, 2017
computerglobal:

With Computerglobal vehicle history report, you’ll receive crucial facts about the car you’re looking to buy that will help you make a smart decision.

Knowledge is power when it comes to buying a vehicle.

Contact us via sms or Whatsapp or via BBM below
Sms vin to 08060365068
Whatsapp vin to +234-806-036-5068
BBM Pin :D8BA2588

Re: Car Talk Chat Room by nurey(m): 3:42pm On Sep 23, 2017
menstrualpad:

available options 9ja used xtera a and a toks previa.. what is ur take?

Tokunbo previa is the choice, Nigerian used Nissan vehicles are always a gamble and abused one will cost time and headache to fix back to manufacturer specs.
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by billyG(m): 6:37pm On Sep 23, 2017
nurey:

#10,350 FOR 5YEARS #6,350 FOR 3YEARS
what they told me #20k in IRS.
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by nurey(m): 7:57pm On Sep 23, 2017
billyG:

what they told me #20k in IRS.

The price I quote is for renewing of license online
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by billyG(m): 8:42pm On Sep 23, 2017
[quote author=nurey post=60763141]

The price I quote is for renewing of license online[/quotewhat of new licence online?
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by nurey(m): 5:27am On Sep 24, 2017
[quote author=billyG post=60764266][/quote]

I think it's about the same price but this people will frustrate you if you do it online except you know someone or a government worker.

I would suggest you bargain to 10k for 3years and 13k for 5years as you will still pay vio like 3k for other stuffs. If you already have a learning certificate from an accredited school fine if not, that's around 5k separate for the certificate.

The more you try to bypass the officers from chopping the more they will waste your time
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by WeirdWolf: 8:58am On Sep 24, 2017
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by emoch(m): 10:45am On Sep 24, 2017
nurey:

Hi Nurey, pls candid advice needed.
I'm looking to get a Mitsu Outlander (btw 2008 -2010) but learnt that these model use the dreaded JATCO CVT. I would have opted for the V6 but not a fan of 6cylinder plus the CUV will just be used for basic run arounds. Don't need the power here.

Another issue I read about was the underbody rust issue especially with the fuel tank.
Now all these findings are based on reviews I read online which was not really specific to any model. Based on your experience, do you think the CVT on the above model are less problematic, considering they are serviced to manufacturer's recommendation?

Re: Car Talk Chat Room by nurey(m): 11:08am On Sep 24, 2017
emoch:

Hi Nurey, pls candid advice needed.
I'm looking to get a Mitsu Outlander (btw 2008 -2010) but learnt that these model use the dreaded JATCO CVT. I would have opted for the V6 but not a fan of 6cylinder plus the CUV will just be used for basic run arounds. Don't need the power here.

Another issue I read about was the underbody rust issue especially with the fuel tank.
Now all these findings are based on reviews I read online which was not really specific to any model. Based on your experience, do you think the CVT on the above model are less problematic, considering they are serviced to manufacturer's recommendation?

No jatco cvt on these ones but invecs a semi automatic transmission. The car is good both 1st and 2nd generation because the year you are looking at both falls in. The 2nd Gen has INVEC CVT transmission but I am sure you will be fine.

As for the tank rust in the 1st generation I did advice of you can ship in a fresh tank but you can take precautions like inspecting the sample you wish to buy, avoid routes with puddle/water if you can then interval inspection so if rust is noticed, it can be tackled immediately.
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by emoch(m): 1:57pm On Sep 24, 2017
nurey:

No jatco cvt on these ones but invecs a semi automatic transmission. The car is good both 1st and 2nd generation because the year you are looking at both falls in. The 2nd Gen has INVEC CVT transmission but I am sure you will be fine.

As for the tank rust in the 1st generation I did advice of you can ship in a fresh tank but you can take precautions like inspecting the sample you wish to buy, avoid routes with puddle/water if you can then interval inspection so if rust is noticed, it can be tackled immediately.

Thanks a lot. So it means I don't generally neee to worry about the rust in 2nd Gens. Like the 2009 or 2010 right?
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by nurey(m): 3:39pm On Sep 24, 2017
emoch:

Thanks a lot. So it means I don't generally neee to worry about the rust in 2nd Gens. Like the 2009 or 2010 right?

Yeah no rust in the 2nd generation but it started from 06 the first was extended to 08. Best bet is to use design to differentiate them instead of year
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by emoch(m): 5:35am On Sep 25, 2017
nurey:

Yeah no rust in the 2nd generation but it started from 06 the first was extended to 08. Best bet is to use design to differentiate them instead of year

Thanks Bro. Is it ok if I contact you on whatsapp
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by nurey(m): 6:31am On Sep 25, 2017
emoch:

Thanks Bro. Is it ok if I contact you on whatsapp
Yes you can, number in signature
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by funlord(m): 8:42am On Sep 25, 2017
I have 5 of these for sale at N2.5m each! Contact details are on my profile!

(1) (2) (3) ... (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) ... (222) (Reply)

Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars / Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Mercedes Benz Thread

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50