Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,892 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:04 AM

Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity (36108 Views)

Joseph Babatunde-Adu, 'Jab Adu', Is Dead / Yoruba Comic Actor Olaitan Babatunde aka 'Langogo' Dies In Ibadan [pictured] / Don Jazzy Pictured With Babatunde Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by layi(m): 6:58pm On May 23, 2006
Anyone heard of Obba Babatunde? Born and raised in Jamaica, Queens. He wasnt named O.B. He decided to change his name when he traced his roots to Nigeria. He's 1 of  holywood superstars (starred in movies like "that Thing You Do","Life","undercover Blues", Multiplicity etc). He also appeared in "Chicago hope". Obba Babatunde is an Actor, Singer, Choreographer, Musician, Voice actor and Teacher.

I admire such a trait (patriotism) especially these days when Nigerian youths are changing their names ( Kenny for kehinde, Bobby for Bobola, Timmy for Timilehin, Simmy for simisola etc) and adopting new nationalities.

OB, thumbs Up. I'm proud of you

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by hotangel2(f): 8:45pm On May 23, 2006
HE is NIGERIAN??

Are u for real? I know him, uhmm which movie did he even act in self? I saw one of his movies recently!

Ohh that's soo good of him, he changed his name because he found out he was Nigerian, awww awesome. That's a really good thing.

Hmm, i never knew he was nigerian. And he's good looking too! We found our denzel washington y'all!!!
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by ldollier(f): 8:46pm On May 23, 2006
oh shuncks lol this man is hott. i knew he was african, i just never knew he was nigerian better yet yoruba. wow thats real awesome. yoruba's in the usa are running things. they make us proud sha.
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by hotangel2(f): 8:53pm On May 23, 2006
Ohh yeah i remember. He was in the NOTEBOOK.

As the band leader. He only featured like twice in it tho. Yeah that's him. smiley

Ohh ohh, and MAJORLY On "HALF AND HALF" On UPN. He's the father! Of the two girls. Okay yeah that's where i remember him from. lol, Yeah that's him!! cheesy cheesy

Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by sade511(f): 10:00pm On May 23, 2006
Holla!!!!!!

I didnt know he was even african.
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by queen2(f): 11:49pm On May 23, 2006
*thumbs up*

didnt know he's African too shocked
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by classiqkid(f): 7:57pm On Jul 10, 2006
Are you serious? I thought he was American.
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by bluenubian(f): 1:59am On Jul 11, 2006
no he is not african, abeg o, the guy did not say he was african or ngerian, he was born in jamaica queen, he jus gave himself a nigerian name. a very wonderful actor tho, he has a recurring role in half and half
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by bluenubian(f): 2:05am On Jul 11, 2006
sorry i have to correct myself lipsrsealed undecided

i did my research, the guy is nigerian american, kudos OBBA BABATUNDE cool cool cool

jus that i ve seen him in many places and have not seen him mention anything about naija, so i fugured he jus gave hiself that name.

1 Like

Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by kimba(m): 2:48am On Jul 11, 2006
@Layi
point of correction
Anyone heard of Obba Babatunde? Born and raised in Jamaica, Queens. He wasnt named O.B. He decided to change his name when he traced his roots to Nigeria. He's 1 of holywood superstars (starred in movies like "that Thing You Do","Life","undercover Blues", Multiplicity etc). He also appeared in "Chicago hope". Obba Babatunde is an Actor, Singer, Choreographer, Musician, Voice actor and Teacher.

I admire such a trait (patriotism) especially these days when Nigerian youths are changing their names ( Kenny for kehinde, Bobby for Bobola, Timmy for Timilehin, Simmy for simisola etc) and adopting new nationalities.

Obba Babatunde is his real name. He didnt rename himself. He didnt find out no roots anywhere. He has a brother called Akin Babatunde. All of them in their family bear their Nigerian names. Its best to say he's of Nigerian decent/of Nigerian Ancestry. It even makes it more unique.

Note that people like Shirley Veronica Bassey, Singer of James Bond title song Goldfinger is also of Nigerian ancestry.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirley_Bassey

I believe we all know Seal

1 Like

Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by OldGlory1(m): 4:41am On Jul 11, 2006
@Layi

The post is wack, what do you mean he is "US Based Celebrity"? He was born in the heart of the Big Apple(Queens), and he as American as Apple Pie and Root Beer. Then Oprah is US based Senegalese/Ghanaian Celebrity and Arnold is US based Austrian Governor of California. Because he(Obba) has a Nigerian name does not make him US based nothing. Then Danny Glover is An African Based US actor, and the other black Actor(I forgot his name) that does stuff for Darfur is also a an African Actor that happens to be a US citizen.

My point is that we(Nigerians) like saying/implying $hit to makes us feel better, that does not add any value to our lives. If we claim him (Obba) as a "PATROITIC NIGERIAN" BY NAME ONLY, THEN WE OWE BONO FROM U2 AFRICAN CITIZENSHIP.

1 Like

Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by Grizzly(m): 5:04am On Jul 11, 2006

Wha'evr cowboy, u rock. . .
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by bluenubian(f): 6:41am On Jul 11, 2006
@old glory
no this post is not wack, so the guy made a mistake, at least a lot of people learnt something new today, i dont see u posting any new discovery or something u already knew, why dont u jus correct the guy instead of calling the thread wack.
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by kimba(m): 8:04am On Jul 11, 2006
U.S based celebrity ko, U.S based celebrity ni. As if he gives a jacks ass about Nija. Anyway, the point is Nigerians like to enjoy what they didnt work for, thats why by default Nigerians sort of look for Nigerians with a feeling that when they can be spotted out, something will change about their relationship.

But on a more serious note:
@Old_Glory

the real name of BONO is BosinuolaOluwa. Hes from Kogi state cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by bluenubian(f): 8:09am On Jul 11, 2006
yeah jus like nas is nasirudeen, kelis is kelechi isioma nnendu from abia state
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by diddy4(m): 8:10am On Jul 11, 2006
@blue
dats hillarious.

@topic

if he is, good for him. wonder when he visited naija. i did the shirt he is wearing under the leather jacket. im going to look for it next.
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by akara(m): 10:49am On Jul 11, 2006
queen2:

*thumbs up*

Na wao and I had thought all black men (and women) with nappy hair were "AFRICAN"
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by hola2ng(m): 10:57am On Jul 11, 2006
Helen Folasade Adu, known professionally as Sade Adu (pronounced Shah-day) is a Nigerian-born English singer and songwriter. Born January 16, 1959 in Ibadan, Nigeria, Sade is a renowned jazz, pop, urban and adult contemporary vocalist, noted for her soulful, smoky contralto. She has achieved success in the 1980s, 1990s and 2000s as the frontwoman and lead vocalist of the popular English group Sade.

1 Like

Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by akara(m): 11:10am On Jul 11, 2006
queen2:

*thumbs up*

Na wao and I had thought all black men (and women) with nappy hair  were "AFRICAN"
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by hola2ng(m): 11:26am On Jul 11, 2006
SEAL
Born Sealhenry Olumide Samuel on February 19th, 1963 in London, England, to Nigerian parents, singer-songwriter Seal shot up to the top of the charts the old-fashioned way: through superior songwriting, polished production, and the discipline and dedication required to survive and succeed in the music industry.

1 Like

Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by folkzy(f): 11:27am On Jul 11, 2006
He has never admitted/mentioned that his parents/carers r nigerian, however we all know that he has a nigerian name.
No proof dat he is a nigerain/give himself a nigerian name

The guy is in half n Half. He is a good actor. If u check is biography, u will notice dat he has a brov as kimbe said. He is also named a nigerian.
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by babadee(m): 1:15pm On Jul 11, 2006
the guy na my uncle! walai talai i no dey lie or where do you think he traced his roots to?
na im dem born after my papa brother counsin brother nephew sister husban wife.
serious!!!!!!
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by dafman(m): 3:11pm On Jul 11, 2006
When a Nigerian outside the shores of this country does not in anyway contribute anything to Nigeria, then it's of no use being proud of such a person. Neither is the person patriotic just because he's a star in the U.S or U.K. I for one don't care about Sade, Seal or Nigerians like them who have not done anything for their people.

Angelina Jolie,a white woman has done more for africa than so called africans, she contributes one-third of her income to charitable causes in africa and other parts of the developing world. Kanu is doing something great by touching the lives of kids with heart defects in Nigeria.

If you've made a success of yourself outside the shores of this country you should not act like the so-called rich class in naija who hoard their wealth for themselves and their families alone, try and emulate the philantropic culture of the west. Only recently warren buffet donated 37billion dollars out of his total wealth of 44 billion dollars to Bill Gates charity. How many rich Nigerians have donated even 1% of their wealth to anything other than chieftaincy titles and vain glory.

1 Like

Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by Hotstepper(f): 3:16pm On Jul 11, 2006
my dear, ture talk, the best one here, that's why i haven't contributed because not meaningful to me
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by spikedcylinder: 3:38pm On Jul 11, 2006
dafman:

When a Nigerian outside the shores of this country does not in anyway contribute anything to Nigeria, then it's of no use being proud of such a person. Neither is the person patriotic just because he's a star in the U.S or U.K. I for one don't care about Sade, Seal or Nigerians like them who have not done anything for their people.

Angelina Jolie,a white woman has done more for africa than so called africans, she contributes one-third of her income to charitable causes in africa and other parts of the developing world. Kanu is doing something great by touching the lives of kids with heart defects in Nigeria.

If you've made a success of yourself outside the shores of this country you should not act like the so-called rich class in naija who hoard their wealth for themselves and their families alone, try and emulate the philantropic culture of the west. Only recently warren buffet donated 37billion dollars out of his total wealth of 44 billion dollars to Bill Gates charity. How rich Nigerians have donated if 1% of their wealth to anything other than chieftaincy titles and vain glory.

I agree totally with this.

1 Like

Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by SvS(f): 3:45pm On Jul 11, 2006
oh i saw the guy in this sitcom called half and half.its shown on trouble
he he i dint no he was nigerian
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by hola2ng(m): 3:58pm On Jul 11, 2006
Its true about these so called stars not giving back,
most of them arent going to ever come back home anyways.

That doesnt stop others from not helping and giving back though, like kanu and co are doing !!
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by hotangel2(f): 4:21pm On Jul 11, 2006
Dafman, Im speechless.

I need to know which kind of hammer you used, cos you hit the nail on it's head mehn! True talk.
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by OldGlory1(m): 9:25pm On Jul 11, 2006
Dafman

He(Obba) is not even Nigerian by any stretch of the imagination. If Layi is looking for someone to look up to, i suggest he starts with Bono, or our real and only Black president William Jefferson Clinton.

1 Like

Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by spikedcylinder: 11:20am On Jul 12, 2006
Old Glory:

Dafman

He(Obba) is not even Nigerian by any stretch of the imagination. If Layi is looking for someone to look up to, i suggest he starts with Bono, or our real and only Black president William Jefferson Clinton.

What does this mean?
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by OldGlory1(m): 1:17pm On Jul 12, 2006
Spike

Please read it again, it will come to you. Or maybe you need to read the whole thread.
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by spikedcylinder: 1:20pm On Jul 12, 2006
I have read the whole thread and your post still doesnt make any sense.
In previous pages,it has been established that the guy and the rest of his family (some people even mentioned his brother's name) are Nigerians. So what exactly is the point you were trying to make in that post?

I remember seeing him in F.R.I.E.N.D.S though.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Throwback Photos Of Linda Ikeji As A Model / Kemi Adetiba Rocks Agbada For Banky W And Adesua Etomi's Wedding (Photos) / BBNaija Top 5: Miracle, Cee-C, Tobi, Alex & Nina Step Out For Media Tour (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.