Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,304 members, 7,780,708 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:12 PM

Is It A Sin To Work On The Sabbath? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It A Sin To Work On The Sabbath? (2268 Views)

Is It A Sin To Style A Haircut? / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome- self-service Is Not A Sin. / The Sabbath -What day is this? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It A Sin To Work On The Sabbath? by SeanT21(f): 11:43pm On May 20, 2008
Is it a sin to work on sunday. I need some advice.
Re: Is It A Sin To Work On The Sabbath? by Backslider(m): 8:25am On May 21, 2008
@seant21

THE NEW SABBATH is now temporarily sunday but we dont go the way of the Old and everlasting Sabbath

but as a true devoted Christian we must consecrate ourselves to God.

The Sabbath has been suspended.

There so many things that make a sabbath.

You must be an Israelite to observe.
You must have a priest
You must have a state leader (king)
You must go through ceremonial statues

by Jesus we are of the commonwealth of Isreal but we have our Sabbath Everyday!

In Jesus we have a King and a Priest ( this is what is needed to lead you to the heavenly Kingdom)

JESUS IS THE TRUE REST
HE IS THE LORD OF THE SABBAOTH
Re: Is It A Sin To Work On The Sabbath? by Cayon(f): 4:05am On May 22, 2008
depend on your job (nurse, doctors, teachers etc, ,) I thing God understand if you have to work on their sabbath day.  What day are you referring as the Sabbath Day? Mines is Sunday?
Re: Is It A Sin To Work On The Sabbath? by SeanT21(f): 9:41pm On May 22, 2008
Cayon:

depend on your job (nurse, doctors, teachers etc, ,) I thing God understand if you have to work on their sabbath day. What day are you referring as the Sabbath Day? Mines is Sunday?

sunday is another name for sabbath.
Re: Is It A Sin To Work On The Sabbath? by TYPOP(m): 8:22am On May 24, 2008
SeanT21:

sunday is another name for sabbath.

@SeanT21,
Sabbath is not really sunday. In Jewish land it was Saturday. we are free from things like that.
Everyday for us is now sabbath so we should live our lives consecrated unto God. There is nothing like God understands our job. He looks at our hearts and sees our devotion for him not anything else.
Re: Is It A Sin To Work On The Sabbath? by SeanT21(f): 6:24pm On May 24, 2008
TYPOP:

@SeanT21,
Sabbath is not really sunday. In Jewish land it was Saturday. we are free from things like that.
Everyday for us is now sabbath so we should live our lives consecrated unto God. There is nothing like God understands our job. He looks at our hearts and sees our devotion for him not anything else.

thanks for all that info. Now i understand.
Re: Is It A Sin To Work On The Sabbath? by syrup(f): 6:47pm On May 24, 2008
@topic,

Let me add a few more lines:

"Is It A Sin To Work On The Sabbath?" NO.

It all depends on several things:

(a) The sabbath law was made for Jews - that law was not binding on Gentiles (that is people who are not Jews)

(b) The sabbath law was ratified by the blood of animals - it was binding on all who were Jews under the law of Moses

(c) Christians are not under a covenant ratified by the blood of animals - we are believers from every nation of the world

(d) the New Testament sabbath is more a Person than a day - it is Christ Himself! Christ is our blessed rest, and we are the beneficiaries of the better things through the covenant of HIS Blood.

Blessings.
Re: Is It A Sin To Work On The Sabbath? by huxley(m): 6:54pm On May 24, 2008
syrup:

@topic,

Let me add a few more lines:

"Is It A Sin To Work On The Sabbath?" NO.

It all depends on several things:

(a) The sabbath law was made for Jews - that law was not binding on Gentiles (that is people who are not Jews)

(b) The sabbath law was ratified by the blood of animals - it was binding on all who were Jews under the law of Moses

(c) Christians are not under a covenant ratified by the blood of animals - we are believers from every nation of the world

(d) the New Testament sabbath is more a Person than a day - it is Christ Himself! Christ is our blessed rest, and we are the beneficiaries of the better things through the covenant of HIS Blood.

Blessings.

The last time I checked, the law of the sabbath was still part of the 10 commandments. If the law of the sabbath is not binding on non-Jews, are the other 9 commandments equally not binding on non-Jews?

How is one to know which laws are binding and which are not?

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin To Work On The Sabbath? by syrup(f): 7:06pm On May 24, 2008
Hi huxley,

huxley:

The last time I checked, the law of the sabbath was still part of the 10 commandments. If the law of the sabbath is not binding on non-Jews, are the other 9 commandments equally not binding on non-Jews?

The simple answer would be: read the terms of the LAW. Have you?

I clearly stated that the law was ratified - did I not? Please scroll again and see it, reproduced below:

syrup:

In other words, when you read the terms upon which that law was effective and operative, the point is clear. Which brings us to the simple question again: HOW was that particular law ratified? Have you read it yet? If not, please read it, and then bear out your concerns. smiley

huxley:

How is one to know which laws are binding and which are not?

Here is a simple point: what LAW are you here concerned with?
Re: Is It A Sin To Work On The Sabbath? by Cayon(f): 7:35pm On May 24, 2008
Read Colossians 2:14-16 and let me know your thoughts
Re: Is It A Sin To Work On The Sabbath? by huxley(m): 7:38pm On May 24, 2008
syrup:

What does it mean to ratify a law by the blood of animals? In practice, what does this entail?

Are the other 9 commandments similarly ratified? Is so, how is the "injunction not to kill" ratified? Where are the biblical references justifying this interpretation?

Let me draw your attention to Matthew 5. This is Jesus speaking;

17 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.
18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.
19 Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

What do you think? Is Jesus endorsing the laws or is he abrogating them?
Re: Is It A Sin To Work On The Sabbath? by syrup(f): 8:44pm On May 24, 2008
@huxley,

Let me answer in reverse order:

huxley:

What do you think? Is Jesus endorsing the laws or is he abrogating them?

My honest answer to those questions:

(a) Jesus was NOT "abrogating" the laws. If one has to speak of "abrogation", then the basis of "fulfillment" is immediately removed. Not carefully consider this: was Jesus speaking of "abrogating" the Law and the prophets in Matthew 5:17 - ("I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil"wink? I don't know how one could be fulfilling something while it is being "abrogated".

(b) But was He "endorsing" it then, since I believe He was not "abrogating" it? NO, He was not "endorsing" (in the sense of making those same stipulations applicable to Christians). Rather, the word "fulfill" does not mean "endorse" - rather, it points to something like giving it its significance.

Let me give you just one example. The Law says for one not to commit adultery. If Jesus had come to "abrogate" that stipulation in the law, then the foundation of the polity against adultery would have been rendered meaningless even before He commenced His ministry. So in application, when a woman was caught in adultery, rather than ENDORSE her stoning as required by that law (see John 8:5 and Lev. 20:10), Jesus forgave the woman without an infrigement of the saw body of Mosaic Law!

How was that possible? Because the same law stipulates that it cannot be partially applied - and what the Jews did was to bring the woman for stoning, and excuse the man who did the act!

Now back to sabbath. The Bible clearly teaches that the law was inoperative until is has been ratified by blood (see Hebrews 9:18-20) -

"Whereupon neither the first testament was dedicated without blood. For when Moses had spoken every precept to all the people according to the law, he took the blood of calves and of goats, with water, and scarlet wool, and hyssop, and sprinkled both the book, and all the people, Saying, This is the blood of the testament which God hath enjoined unto you."

Why did Moses do this? Because verse 17 says clearly - "For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth".

But the focal point is this: why was the LAW certified only to Jews and not to Gentiles? The answer was also given in the Bible - "The LORD our God made a covenant with us in Horeb. The LORD made not this covenant with our fathers, but with us, even us, who are all of us here alive this day" [Deut. 5:2-3]

In other words, the covenant was not given as a body of LAW to those who preceded the Jews. And when the LAW came afterwards, it could not be in force - until it had been ratified. That is why it was a covenant. In Biblical teaching, a covenant goes beyond mere words - it has to be ratified.
Re: Is It A Sin To Work On The Sabbath? by syrup(f): 8:57pm On May 24, 2008
@huxley,

Having defined the basic concepts above ("abrogate", "endorse", "fulfill", "ratify" etc), let me summarise the earlier question you asked:

huxley:

What does it mean to ratify a law by the blood of animals? In practice, what does this entail?

Hebrews 9 teaches us what "ratifying" a covenant is all about. What does it entail? It simply means that all who enter into that covenant are saying "yes" in pledge of their lives to the covenant they answered to. This is why the Bible distinguishes between those who were under the law and those who were not under the law -

Rom 3:19 "Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God."

huxley:

Are the other 9 commandments similarly ratified?

Yes. But what is important to understand here is that "THE LAW" is far more than the decalogue (10 commandments). "The LAW" included so many other stipulations, and not just the 10 commandments. To break one of the decalogue was to be guilty of violating all the other 9; but that is not the only thing that we find in what is known as "the LAW". Please turn over to Leviticus and see examples of issues in addtion to the decalogue --

(a) "This is the law of the burnt offering" - Lev. 6:9

(b) "And this is the law of the meat offering" - Lev. 6:14

(c) "Likewise this is the law of the trespass offering: it is most holy" - Lev. 7:1

(d) "This is the law of the beasts, and of the fowl, and of every living creature that moveth in the waters, and of every creature that creepeth upon the earth" - Lev. 11:46

All these together with the decalogue are known as "THE LAW". What the problem is for many is that they have become used to seeing only the 10 commandments as "The Law". That is why I offered that people should first read precisely what is written before drawing any conclusions.

huxley:

Is so, how is the "injunction not to kill" ratified? Where are the biblical references justifying this interpretation?

Good question. I ask one thing - please quote the verse directly and examine what the Hebrew text says. I will come back and discuss more after you do so and find something surprising there. wink
Re: Is It A Sin To Work On The Sabbath? by TYPOP(m): 7:28pm On May 26, 2008
Is it possible to ignore Huxley? He does not really want to learn. He just wants arguments.
What do you people think?
Re: Is It A Sin To Work On The Sabbath? by syrup(f): 8:41pm On May 26, 2008
Well, I don't know if he is seeking only to argue. But ignoring him probably may not be a better option - especially because there are answers to be offered. I may be wrong - you guys have been following the forum longer than I have.
Re: Is It A Sin To Work On The Sabbath? by huxley(m): 8:47pm On May 26, 2008
TYPOP:

Is it possible to ignore Huxley? He does not really want to learn. He just wants arguments.
What do you people think?

You may ignore if you must, but such action is reminiscent of the proverbial ostrich that buries it head in the sand. I am will to argue and to learn. These two sometimes come hand in hand. But you have got to convince me that you have the right epistemic methodology for investigating reality.

syrup:

Well, I don't know if he is seeking only to argue. But ignoring him probably may not be a better option - especially because there are answers to be offered. I may be wrong - you guys have been following the forum longer than I have.

Hoorah, to your approach.

(1) (Reply)

You Can Now Get All Dreams Interpretation! / Higher Life Conferencce Canada With Pastor Chris / DELIVERANCE OR FOOLERY?(A Pastor On Top Of His Church Member Doing 'deliverance)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.