Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,277 members, 7,807,934 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:04 PM

How Do You Cope With The Mouth Odour During Ramadan? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Do You Cope With The Mouth Odour During Ramadan? (8590 Views)

Mouth Odour Awareness And Prevention / Young Guys With Grey Hair: How Do You Cope? / Cure For Chronic Mouth Odour. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Cope With The Mouth Odour During Ramadan? by braine(m): 2:36pm On Jul 12, 2013
It is understood that we're in the Ramadan period and majority of our muslim brothers and sisters are required to fast which most of then are doing religiously.

But lately, the issue of the odour emanating from their mouths has been a matter of concern to me; and maybe some other other people. It has been so bad that I try to avoid conversing with my colleagues at work and others.

I understand that the fermenting activities of bacteria in the mouth is the cause of it though.

So, how do you cope with it and what can be done to reduce smell?
Re: How Do You Cope With The Mouth Odour During Ramadan? by Lagusta(m): 9:17pm On Jul 13, 2013
simple.... BRUSH YOUR TEETH!!!!!
Re: How Do You Cope With The Mouth Odour During Ramadan? by Nobody: 10:58am On Jul 14, 2013
tell them to chew gum

or brush their tongues
Re: How Do You Cope With The Mouth Odour During Ramadan? by Lagusta(m): 11:32am On Jul 14, 2013
salsera: tell them to chew gum

or brush their tongues

chew gum while fasting?
Re: How Do You Cope With The Mouth Odour During Ramadan? by deols(f): 11:58am On Jul 14, 2013
Lagusta:

chew gum while fasting?

If the gum has no sugar, it is allowed.
Re: How Do You Cope With The Mouth Odour During Ramadan? by deols(f): 11:59am On Jul 14, 2013
The odour is beloved to Allah more than musk is.

Not many people can brush all the time(especially if outdoor)

Tolerate them. It is only for a month.

But if brushing is possible, they should be encouraged to do it.
Re: How Do You Cope With The Mouth Odour During Ramadan? by dominique(f): 12:06pm On Jul 14, 2013
When one performs ablution, it suppresses the odour for a while. When I'm home I brush right before each Solat (with little toothpaste tho). Some people chews chewing stick too. You can advise them to take one out with you and chew some before each Solat. Hope it helps.
Re: How Do You Cope With The Mouth Odour During Ramadan? by Lagusta(m): 12:20pm On Jul 14, 2013
deols:

but which Nigerian gum has no sugar or mint?
Re: How Do You Cope With The Mouth Odour During Ramadan? by tbaba1234: 12:32pm On Jul 14, 2013
Brush your teeth, just be careful about swallowing.
Re: How Do You Cope With The Mouth Odour During Ramadan? by braine(m): 1:45pm On Jul 14, 2013
Lagusta: simple.... BRUSH YOUR TEETH!!!!!

Its not as if everyone would take their mouthbrush with them everyehere they go. Plus, there's a risk of accidentally swallowing water.

deols:

shocked That's a new one I'm hearing.
Re: How Do You Cope With The Mouth Odour During Ramadan? by Lagusta(m): 2:17pm On Jul 14, 2013
braine:

Its not as if everyone would take their mouthbrush with them everyehere they go. Plus, there's a risk of accidentally swallowing water.

Yeah, so why can't we brush immediately after sahuur or the odor still lingers after waking up??
Re: How Do You Cope With The Mouth Odour During Ramadan? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jul 14, 2013
there's sugarless gum nah
orbit dey, just because it tastes sweet doesnt mean its sugar.

besides neither gum or toothpaste is food or drink so how does it affect fasting abeg

dont know about, all d muslims i've been with at work, family etc dont smell cos they are fasting.
Re: How Do You Cope With The Mouth Odour During Ramadan? by braine(m): 2:37pm On Jul 14, 2013
Lagusta:

Yeah, so why can't we brush immediately after sahuur or the odor still lingers after waking up??

I think it starts from the moment they have their early morning breakfast, since most don't bother to brush after eating.

salsera: there's sugarless gum nah

besides neither gum or toothpaste is food or drink so how does it affect fasting abeg

dont know about, all d muslims i've been with at work, family etc dont smell cos they are fasting .

Maybe you didn't take note or you're probably used to it.

I'm sure most muslims will disagree with the chewing of gum.
Re: How Do You Cope With The Mouth Odour During Ramadan? by deols(f): 6:07pm On Jul 14, 2013
Lagusta:

but which Nigerian gum has no sugar or mint?

I dont know. But once you find one, you can chew.
Re: How Do You Cope With The Mouth Odour During Ramadan? by deols(f): 6:11pm On Jul 14, 2013
salsera: there's sugarless gum nah

dont know about, all d muslims i've been with at work, family etc dont smell cos they are fasting.

If it doesnt have sugar, what makes it taste sweet?
I am only trying to understand how permissible it can be during fasting.
Re: How Do You Cope With The Mouth Odour During Ramadan? by Nobody: 5:21am On Jul 15, 2013
chemicals and artificial sweeteners make the gums sweet.. angry
Re: How Do You Cope With The Mouth Odour During Ramadan? by dominique(f): 5:22am On Jul 15, 2013
@deols, But gum contain some components and additives that could break fast o. Except you intend to spit out periodically.
Re: How Do You Cope With The Mouth Odour During Ramadan? by Nobody: 5:24am On Jul 15, 2013
dominique: ^^^But gum contain some ingredients that could break fast o. Except you intend to spit out periodically.

Wouldn't that be only if you swallow the gum? Because otherwise its just creating more of your own saliva.
Re: How Do You Cope With The Mouth Odour During Ramadan? by deols(f): 8:22am On Jul 15, 2013
SniperInADiaper:

Wouldn't that be only if you swallow the gum? Because otherwise its just creating more of your own saliva.

Exactly.

Without the sweeteners, it is just some kind of plastic undecided
Re: How Do You Cope With The Mouth Odour During Ramadan? by Lagusta(m): 11:24am On Jul 15, 2013
deols:

Exactly.

Without the sweeteners, it is just some kind of plastic undecided

now let's break it down.....

the whole essence of fasting is to exclude yourself from drink, food and intercourse for a specific period, to move closer to Allah abI

now, if you start chewing a tasteless gum from morning till night, in order to curb the hunger pangs, then why fast in the first place

remember the hadith of the rasul (saw): leave what makes you in doubt to what does not make you in doubt!!!

may Allah continue to strengthen us!!!

1 Like

Re: How Do You Cope With The Mouth Odour During Ramadan? by Cocodiva: 12:38pm On Jul 15, 2013
deols:

Any evidence for this in the Qur'an or sunnah please.
Thousands of people read these messages silently.so we don't mis-inform people without knowing it.
The essence of fasting has been defeated when you chew anything,tasteless or not.taste is not the essence in fasting,its keeping away from eating,drinking and sexual activities irrespective of what the food or drink is.
The fasting person should brush after sahur,taking special care to brushing the tongue too.possibly floss and use mouthwash thereafter. Avoid putting your mouth too close to people when speaking later in the day. Cos the mere fact that you avoid eating or drinking creates an odour either you like it or not.even those that are not fasting,when they don't eat for prolonged period of time will develop odour as well.
Re: How Do You Cope With The Mouth Odour During Ramadan? by deols(f): 1:55pm On Jul 15, 2013
Lagusta:

now let's break it down.....

the whole essence of fasting is to exclude yourself from drink, food and intercourse for a specific period, to move closer to Allah abI

now, if you start chewing a tasteless gum from morning till night, in order to curb the hunger pangs, then why fast in the first place

remember the hadith of the rasul (saw): leave what makes you in doubt to what does not make you in doubt!!!

may Allah continue to strengthen us!!!

There is no doubt here.
If the gum doesnt have sugar, why do you want to chew it. Some chew so that they can keep their mouth moist. Others for healthy gum issues.

There is no doubt about it at all.

You mentioned not eating. It is about not eating food and not about not chewing.

*Chewing stick is chewed and allowed in Islam.
But swallowing is disallowed.

*You can also brush with toothpaste without swallowing.

*you can even taste d food u are cooking by just putting it on your tongue wvout swallowing.

In essence, you can chew but cannot swallow food/sweet/whatever gets into ur stomach apart from the usual saliva.
Re: How Do You Cope With The Mouth Odour During Ramadan? by deols(f): 1:57pm On Jul 15, 2013
Coco diva:

Any evidence for this in the Qur'an or sunnah please.
Thousands of people read these messages silently.so we don't mis-inform people without knowing it.
The essence of fasting has been defeated when you chew anything,tasteless or not.taste is not the essence in fasting,its keeping away from eating,drinking and sexual activities irrespective of what the food or drink is.
The fasting person should brush after sahur,taking special care to brushing the tongue too.possibly floss and use mouthwash thereafter. Avoid putting your mouth too close to people when speaking later in the day. Cos the mere fact that you avoid eating or drinking creates an odour either you like it or not.even those that are not fasting,when they don't eat for prolonged period of time will develop odour as well.

Of course you dont expect that the Quran will specifically indicate chewing gum/candy.

It is only logical that the aim is for you not to be getting nutrients.

Does a sugarless gum give you any form of nutrient.

So far you are not swallowing it, it is allowed.

Also read whaT is above
Re: How Do You Cope With The Mouth Odour During Ramadan? by Lagusta(m): 2:01pm On Jul 15, 2013
@deols...........

most people chew gum cos it brings some form of satiety from hunger, until real food is available. if I chew gum while fasting, it's just like pouring water into a basket, cos the whole essence is lost!!!

well, Allah knows best!!!!
Re: How Do You Cope With The Mouth Odour During Ramadan? by deols(f): 2:05pm On Jul 15, 2013
Lagusta: @deols...........

most people chew gum cos it brings some form of satiety from hunger, until real food is available. if I chew gum while fasting, it's just like pouring water into a basket, cos the whole essence is lost!!!

well, Allah knows best!!!!

I never knew/hard of that.

What do you say of having cold bath in ramadan? To feel cool and ease the stress of fasting?
Re: How Do You Cope With The Mouth Odour During Ramadan? by Lagusta(m): 2:20pm On Jul 15, 2013
deols:

I never knew/hard of that.

What do you say of having cold bath in ramadan? To feel cool and ease the stress of fasting?
grin
Re: How Do You Cope With The Mouth Odour During Ramadan? by deols(f): 2:42pm On Jul 15, 2013
Lagusta:
grin

I asked because some people used to say it is haram because they think u are trying yo ease it. They expect it to be hard. But the quran doesnt say anything about making it hard or easy, you know.

You dont make things that are not haram, haram for yourself.
Re: How Do You Cope With The Mouth Odour During Ramadan? by Cocodiva: 3:02pm On Jul 15, 2013
deols:

There is no doubt here.
If the gum doesnt have sugar, why do you want to chew it. Some chew so that they can keep their mouth moist. Others for healthy gum issues.

There is no doubt about it at all.

You mentioned not eating. It is about not eating food and not about not chewing.

*Chewing stick is chewed and allowed in Islam.
But swallowing is disallowed.

*You can also brush with toothpaste without swallowing.

*you can even taste d food u are cooking by just putting it on your tongue wvout swallowing.

In essence, you can chew but cannot swallow food/sweet/whatever gets into ur stomach apart from the usual saliva.

My dear sis,Islam is not about analogy its about facts contained in the Qur'an and sunnah.the chewing of siwaak you mentioned and tasting of food is expressly mentioned in the hadith. Where is analogy of chewing something tasteless mentioned? Or has any scholar sanctioned it? We all know contemporary issues are tabled before scholars to give rulings on them even if they are not expressly contained in the Quran or hadith.so where has it been sanctioned.Its not for us as individuals to make rulings for ourselves.Moreover,if you decide to chew gum because of mouth odour,where do you put the hadith of Allah loving the odour and comparing it to the fragrance of musk? We are not wiser than Allah and His words are always true.we cannot say we want to please the creation and displease the creator. Allah knows best

1 Like

Re: How Do You Cope With The Mouth Odour During Ramadan? by braine(m): 3:38pm On Jul 15, 2013
^you make sense. I hope I haven't sinned for complaining about it. Never knew the smell is even part of the whole thing.
Re: How Do You Cope With The Mouth Odour During Ramadan? by dominique(f): 4:00pm On Jul 15, 2013
^^^ I'm also miffed by mouth odour during fasting period embarassed. That's why I brush my teeth at least twice during the day.

SniperInADiaper:

One of these days, I'll buy a pack of gum and write out the 'ingredients' here. I'm sure I'll come up with at least a dozen additives, is that not enough to break fast?
Best way to reduce mouth odour during fast is periodic rinsing while preventing swallowing.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Cope With The Mouth Odour During Ramadan? by tbaba1234: 6:12pm On Jul 15, 2013
This answer is from islamqa.

Question: Ive found that the ruling for chewing gum in Ramdhan is not permmissable. I would like to know how this conclusion came about and the all the alternatives I could use if chewing gum is indeed haram during the month of ramadhan.

Answer

Praise be to Allaah.

It seems that the questioner is referring to the kind of chewing gum which is well known nowadays, which is a rubbery substance that usually contains sugar and artificial flavourings. Chewing this kind of gum leads to breaking the fast, because the sugars and flavourings dissolve in the saliva and enter the stomach. Undoubtedly this breaks one’s fast, because nutrients enter the stomach. But if the gum does not contain any substance that will dissolve and enter the stomach, then it does not break the fast.

With regard to alternatives to chewing gum, if what is meant is something that may be used to improve the smell of the mouth, then the Muslim should use siwaak, because it is one of the Sunnahs narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). He may also rinse his mouth so as to remove the smell, or use toothpaste, subject to the condition that nothing of it reaches his stomach. If he fears that some of it may reach his stomach then he should not use it.

You should also note that this smell that comes out of the mouth because the stomach is empty and which may disturb a person, cannot be removed with the siwaak etc because it comes from the stomach due to fasting. It is better before Allaah than the fragrance of musk. It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The smell of the fasting person’s mouth is better before Allaah than the fragrance of musk.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5583; Muslim, 1151. See also question no. 22913.

But if the purpose of using gum is to treat the jaw by means of moving it, please see question no. 38552.

And Allaah knows best.
Re: How Do You Cope With The Mouth Odour During Ramadan? by deols(f): 7:43pm On Jul 15, 2013
Coco diva:

My dear sis,Islam is not about analogy its about facts contained in the Qur'an and sunnah.the chewing of siwaak you mentioned and tasting of food is expressly mentioned in the hadith. Where is analogy of chewing something tasteless mentioned? Or has any scholar sanctioned it? We all know contemporary issues are tabled before scholars to give rulings on them even if they are not expressly contained in the Quran or hadith.so where has it been sanctioned.Its not for us as individuals to make rulings for ourselves.Moreover,if you decide to chew gum because of mouth odour,where do you put the hadith of Allah loving the odour and comparing it to the fragrance of musk? We are not wiser

than Allah and His words are always true.we cannot say we want to please the creation and displease the creator. Allah knows best

There is no point arguing with you. I dont even know where to start.

Read tbaba's last post.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Polio Spread Confined To Only Two Nigerian States - Minister / How To Make A Smoothie : 10 Healthy Smoothies For Breakfast / Yaba Psychiatric Doctors' Strike Enters Fourth Week

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.