Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,259 members, 7,807,892 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:01 PM

The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush (29601 Views)

The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush / How Long Have You Used Your Toothbrush? / How Often Should You Change Your Toothbrush? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by demmy55(m): 10:23am On Jul 13, 2013
Do You Know What's Lurking on Your Toothbrush?

Your toothbrush is loaded with germs, say researchers at England's University of Manchester. They've found that one uncovered toothbrush can harbor more than 100 million bacteria, including E. coli bacteria, which can cause diarrhea, and staphylococci (Staph) bacteria that cause skin infections. grin

But don't panic. Your mouth wasn't exactly sterile to begin with. shocked

Mouthful of Bacteria
"The bottom line is, there (are) hundreds of microorganisms in our mouths every day," says Gayle McCombs, RDH, MS, associate professor and director of the Dental Hygiene Research Center at Old Dominion University.

That's no big deal. Problems only start when there is an unhealthy balance of bacteria in the mouth, McCombs says.

"It's important to remember that plaque -- the stuff you're removing from your teeth -- is bacteria," says dentist Kimberly Harms, DDS, consumer advisor for the American Dental Association. "So you're putting bacteria on your toothbrush every time you brush your teeth." wink

Could Your Toothbrush Be Making You Sick?
Probably not. Regardless of how many bacteria live in your mouth or have gotten in there via your toothbrush, your body's natural defenses make it highly unlikely that you're going to develop an infection simply from brushing your teeth.

"Fortunately, the human body is usually able to defend itself from bacteria," Harms says. "So we aren't aware of any real evidence that sitting the toothbrush in your bathroom in the toothbrush holder is causing any real damage or harm. We don't know that the bacteria on there are translating into infections."

Still, you should exercise some common sense about storing your toothbrush, including how close it is to the toilet.

Toothbrush Storage Tips
Once you've moved your toothbrush away from the toilet, here are a few other storage tips to keep your brush as germ-free as possible:

•Keep it rinsed. Wash off your toothbrush thoroughly with tap water every time you use it.

•Keep it dry. "Bacteria love a moist environment," Harms says. Make sure your brush has a chance to dry thoroughly between brushings. Avoid using toothbrush covers, which can create a moist enclosed breeding ground for bacteria.

•Keep it upright. Store your toothbrush upright in a holder, rather than lying it down.

•Keep it to yourself. No matter how close you are to your sister, brother, spouse, or roommate, don't ever use their toothbrush. Don't even store your toothbrush side-by-side in the same cup with other people's brushes.

•Whenever toothbrushes touch, they can swap germs.

When to Toss Your Toothbrush
The best way to limit the bacteria on your toothbrush is to replace it on a regular basis.
The American Dental Association recommends throwing out your toothbrush every three to four months. If the bristles become frayed, you're sick, or you have a weak immune system, throw it out even more often. If you use an electric toothbrush, throw out the head as often as you'd discard a disposable toothbrush.

Wish you goodluck with a little patience on the toothbrush grin

http://www.medicinenet.com/truth_about_your_toothbrush_pictures_slideshow/article.htm

4 Likes

Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by kenjudy(m): 11:18pm On Jul 13, 2013
Nice one @op. I do dispose my toothbrush often shaa. But just learned from ur post on d upside down thingy. Thanx

1 Like

Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by OCTAVO: 2:06pm On Jul 14, 2013
Order for your toothbrush today.
Price: Absolutely free!

28 Likes

Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by canalily(m): 2:07pm On Jul 14, 2013
Good! But show us ur toothbrush and ur teeth lets confirm this

1 Like

Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by Blackgold09(f): 2:07pm On Jul 14, 2013
Thanks i hear u
Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by venorite(m): 2:09pm On Jul 14, 2013
Say no to toothbrush grin grin
Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by azpekuliar: 2:09pm On Jul 14, 2013
The only thing I haven't been doing out of that list is, replacing my tooth brushes frequently. Gonna improve on that. Thanks OP.
Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by Nobody: 2:09pm On Jul 14, 2013
Its okay

1 Like

Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by redcliff: 2:10pm On Jul 14, 2013
[size=14pt]men na so boiz go dey contact bacteria from chopping lips sef if tooth brush wey no get life fit dey infected, how much more men mouth. choi.[/size]

1 Like

Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by sexyglow(f): 2:11pm On Jul 14, 2013
Okay.
Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by valdubem(m): 2:12pm On Jul 14, 2013
Nigerian Dental Association hasn't said so; So I don't believe you.
Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by johnwizey: 2:13pm On Jul 14, 2013
Dats y ℓ̊ dey alwayz like PAKO(chewing stick)
Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by cheezkid(m): 2:14pm On Jul 14, 2013
okay
Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by Lakayanah: 2:14pm On Jul 14, 2013
If all these facts they uncover on per second billing don't kill humans nothing will trust me.

1 Like

Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by bignene(m): 2:15pm On Jul 14, 2013
vry educative
Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by Paradise163(f): 2:16pm On Jul 14, 2013
Thanks for dis wonderful post but I guess it's time for me to switch over to chewing stick, or do chewing stick also accumulate bacteria? undecided
Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jul 14, 2013
venorite: Say no to toothbrush grin grin

USE CHEWING STICK INSTEAD cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by nekaa(f): 2:23pm On Jul 14, 2013
Oh I see... Thank you sha...
Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by mysticgal(f): 2:25pm On Jul 14, 2013
chewing stick is the best,na oyibo spoil african mentality,sha everyweek i soak my toothbrush in warm water and i use mouthwash daily.

1 Like

Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jul 14, 2013
even 2 wash ur teeth without flossing it , is lik washing dishes without soap

1 Like

Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by chei: 2:25pm On Jul 14, 2013
Always brush your teeth with dettol. It kills germs

2 Likes

Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by olumaxi(m): 2:31pm On Jul 14, 2013
chei: Always brush your teeth with dettol. It kills germs
exactly,cos if i dont take kia of u,who wil

3 Likes

Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by misterawo: 2:33pm On Jul 14, 2013
My lecturer in the university once told me that human bite is worse than dog's bite. Humans harbours millions of pathogenic bacteria in their mouth.
Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by linearity: 2:35pm On Jul 14, 2013
demmy55: Keep it to yourself. No matter how close you are to your sister, brother, spouse, or roommate, don't ever use their toothbrush. Don't even store your toothbrush side-by-side in the same cup with other people's brushes.

..but you are at least, still allowed to kiss your spouse or significant other mouth to mouth or we should only be doing light pecking on the cheek now?

And your spouse should be carrying anti bacterial disinfecting wipes all the time to immediately wipe out the peck from his/her cheek for fear of the bacterial spreading or getting into his/her skin through some small openings or cut.

1 Like

Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by Aromas: 2:36pm On Jul 14, 2013
Okay now, let us now be using PETROL and CLOSE UP to wash our teeth. Petrol dey work well all those JOHN and JANE wey dey inside our corner teeth go flush comot outside.
Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by Blessmira: 2:37pm On Jul 14, 2013
C hw pple de waste money 4 toothbrush n paste, wen u can buy bundles of chewin stick n powdered charcoal. E go b lyk say u use hypo 4 ur teeth. lol cheesy

2 Likes

Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by adino(m): 2:38pm On Jul 14, 2013
OCTAVO: Order for your toothbrush today.
Price: Absolutely free!

una no well for dis Nl (lol)
Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by Nobody: 2:38pm On Jul 14, 2013
Message to Mukina
#Free Abu Mikey

1 Like

Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by dokunbam(m): 2:39pm On Jul 14, 2013
Where is this chewing stick oo

My grandma gave me but I dropped it some where

Its time to use the two

After chewing stick then its brush

Or the other way round
Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by Wendyphil(f): 2:47pm On Jul 14, 2013
Noted!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Questions Over Nigeria Virus Measures As Lockdown Period Ends / Bad Nigerian Habits That Increase Your Blood Pressure / Things You Can Relate To If You've Gone For HIV Test Before.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.