Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,643 members, 7,801,870 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:57 AM

9 Ways To Better Yourself - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 9 Ways To Better Yourself (849 Views)

5 Things To Do This Weekend To Better Yourself And Your Career! !! / 9 Ways To Better Yourself / 9 Ways To Increase Your Chance Of Getting A Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

9 Ways To Better Yourself by aydrees09: 10:32am On Jul 13, 2013
As a passionate advocate of growth, I’m continuously looking for ways to self- improve. I’ve compiled 9 best tips which might be helpful in your personal growth journey. Some of them are simple steps which you can engage in immediately. Some are bigger steps which takes conscious effort to act on. Here they are: 1. Read a book every day. Books are concentrated sources of wisdom. The more books you read, the more wisdom you expose yourself to. What are some books you can start reading to enrich yourself? Some books like Think and Grow Rich, Who Moved My Cheese, 7 Habits, The Science of Getting Rich and Living the 80/20 Way. I’ve heard positive reviews for The Tipping Point, Outliers and The Difference Maker, so I’ll be checking them out soon. 2. Learn a new language. As a Nigerian, my main languages are English and Yoruba. Out of interest, you can chose to learn IGBO or HAUSA(as the case might be). I realized learning a language is a whole new skill altogether and the process of acquainting with a new language and culture is totally a mind-opening experience. 3. Pick up a new hobby. Beyond just your usual favorite hobbies, is there something new you can pick up? Any new sport you can learn? Examples are fencing, golf, rock climbing, football, canoeing. Your new hobby can also be a recreational hobby. For example, pottery, cooking, dancing, wine appreciation, web design, etc. Learning something new requires you to stretch yourself in different aspects, whether physically, mentally or emotionally. 4. Take up a new course. Is there any new course you can join? Courses are a great way to gain new knowledge and skills. It doesn’t have to be a long- term course – seminars or workshops serve their purpose too. It helps to gain new insights which you might not have considered before. 5. Overcome your fears. All of us have fears. Fear of uncertainty, fear of public speaking, fear of risk… All our fears keep us in the same position and prevent us from growing. Recognize that your fears reflect areas where you can grow. I always think of fears as the compass for growth. If I have a fear about something, it represents something I’ve yet to address, and addressing it helps me to grow. 6. Level up your skills. If you do play video games, you’ll know the concept – gaining experience so you can be better and stronger. As a blogger, You constantly leveling up your writing skills. As a speaker, You constantly leveling up your public engagement abilities. What skills can you level up? 7. Wake up early. Waking up early (say, 5-6am) has been acknowledged by many to improve your productivity and your quality of life. I feel it’s because when you wake up early, your mindset is already set to continue the momentum and proactively live out the day. 8. Have a weekly exercise routine. It's better you start with being in better physical shape. I personally make it a point to go to 'FIELD' every weekend to play football. You may want to mix it up with jogging, gym lessons and swimming for variation. 9. Write a letter to your future self. What do you see yourself as 5 years from now? Will you be the same? Different? What kind of person will you be? Write a letter to your future self – 1 year from now will be a good start – and seal it. Make a date in your calendar to open it 1 year from now. Then start working to become the person you want to open that letter.

Additional TIPS would be appreciated.
Have a nice weekend
Re: 9 Ways To Better Yourself by toluleke(m): 10:39am On Jul 13, 2013
Lovely post but you should have separated them so that it could be more readable
Re: 9 Ways To Better Yourself by aydrees09: 11:25am On Jul 13, 2013
Yea , next tym. Thanks

(1) (Reply)

ICAN Website Is Down! What Happened? / APPLY: The Bridge Summer Camp Program 2015 / See This After Effects Of His ''african Time'' Mentality:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.