Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,471 members, 7,808,693 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:29 PM

The Use Of Virtual Holy Scriptures - Good/bad? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Use Of Virtual Holy Scriptures - Good/bad? (6924 Views)

Some Scriptures People Use Wrongly To Justify Themselves / The Revised New World Translation Of The Holy Scriptures / God's Self-revelation In The Holy Scriptures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Use Of Virtual Holy Scriptures - Good/bad? by illicit(m): 4:22pm On Jul 13, 2013
Religion is as old as the time man began to be aware and take control of his environment and destiny, and has evolved alongside man from century to century, religion can be secular or worldwide.
However almost all religions in the world today claims to have a written code of conduct handed down from generations that are now vague, they are books and mostly written in Aramaic languages which is the norm of those days, the rules, stories, geneologies, calenders and important events are set down on papyrus and later on animal skins as civilisation came around. And much later came paper, henceforth the hard cover glossy 'Holy Bible' or the Al Quran of today.
Some adherents beleive those books to contain some potent spirit in itself, while critics just see it as a book, or as a very old book now if u ask a contemporary atheist, fiction might even be added for a better description.
Pastors had been known to cast and bind demons by merely waving the holy Bible, and musim clerics would tear pages of the quran and bind it with some sewing thread then give it out or sell it as powerful amulets against all sorts of evil things, I myself use to keep a bible under my pillow for.........
So it happens that we are now in a technological advanced and virtually virtual world. Science and tech is gradually replacing our analog and manual way of doing common things, like taking your hard cover bible to church and opening it during sermon....... Which unfortuantely todays youth consider gross.
Holy books has evolved from papyri to softwrare and nowaday beleivers especially youths prefer the latter which most Pastors frown at*
Due to this observation i thereby put those questions to anybody who might have read and understand this post.
1. Should Holy books adopt a permanent form, model, version?
2. Do versions affect the power and spiritual effects of a scripture?
Do those 'Holy Books' actually posses any form of power?
3. (to be contd)
Re: The Use Of Virtual Holy Scriptures - Good/bad? by illicit(m): 4:28pm On Jul 13, 2013
-contd-
3. Why should a virtual holy book or e-book not be acceptable for worship?
4. Is the version that matters or the contents (i.e the message)?
5. Is it wrong to use a virtual holy e-book? Is it evil? Does God frown at modernisation? Civilisation? Modification? Virtualisation of worship?

NB - the use and the super imposing mention of pastors, bible and christainity at large in this article is for the sake of relevance and simplicity, this virtual holy book usage is most common among christain youths, apologies tendered to any offended person.

1 Like

Re: The Use Of Virtual Holy Scriptures - Good/bad? by liloelawwal(m): 4:32pm On Jul 13, 2013
the most important is d message,be it on d rock,skin,slate or written on paper.
D message is d koko dnt get it twisted

5 Likes

Re: The Use Of Virtual Holy Scriptures - Good/bad? by texanomaly(f): 4:49pm On Jul 13, 2013
liloelawwal: the most important is d message,be it on d rock,skin,slate or written on paper.
D message is d koko dnt get it twisted

I agree. It is not the book itself. It is the message inside. It is also not the man wielding the book. It is the power of God. He is only the vessel.

1 Like

Re: The Use Of Virtual Holy Scriptures - Good/bad? by illicit(m): 6:26pm On Jul 13, 2013
texanomaly:

I agree. It is not the book itself. It is the message inside. It is also not the man wielding the book. It is the power of God. He is only the vessel.
so u r pratically saying dat if i wave my ipad/iphone during an attack, demon go run?

3 Likes

Re: The Use Of Virtual Holy Scriptures - Good/bad? by texanomaly(f): 7:26pm On Jul 13, 2013
@ illicit

Actually, that is not what I said at all. Perhaps I should have been more clear. Although, I would think any intelligent person could understand my statement. I am, however, willing to entertain the possibility that I may need to be more precise.

texanomaly:
I agree. It is not the book itself. It is the message inside. It is also not the man wielding the book. It is the power of God. He is only the vessel

texanomaly:
I agree. It is not the book itself.

hmmm...that seems pretty clear, so I will leave it the way it is.

texanomaly: It is the message inside.
*slants head to side, pursing lips* Okay, maybe this part needs further explanation. It is the message inside that is important to those who wish to follow Gods commandments. *slants head to other side* Hmmm, that seems simple enough.

texanomaly: It is also not the man wielding the book.

I can see where this is not completely clear, so I will give a more detailed reply. The man holding the book has no power on his own.

texanomaly: It is the power of God. He is only the vessel
If he is worthy, and has the authority to wield the power of God, he can do so. The book itself has nothing to do with said power in the man. I hope that is more clear.

Tex
Re: The Use Of Virtual Holy Scriptures - Good/bad? by illicit(m): 10:08pm On Jul 13, 2013
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: The Use Of Virtual Holy Scriptures - Good/bad? by charlsecy4(m): 12:27pm On Jul 14, 2013
Talking about the Bible!

You see from where one reads the Holy Word is hardly important. What matters is sincerity of heart. If one's intention is to show off with iPad or other electronic gadgets, then one is NOT doing oneself any good. Such one reads the Word unworthily.

Another thing I want to point out is that if we "rightly" condemn those sincerely reading the Word from an electronic device, then Servants of the Most High GOD such as Paul will condemn us for reading the Word on paper.... And how about Moses? He will condemn us for not reading the Word from the Stone or the Scroll.

On whether the Bible possess innate powers:

The book or material on which it is written is just like any other material. No, they don't possess powers in themselves. It's the Word of God in your heart that is written, spoken and believed, and powered by the Name of JESUS Christ that actually moves mountains.

It's not about the Word of God you carry about in an iPad or a Bible but the One you carry about in your heart, the Word that you believe and show you believe It by living by It, that's all that matters......

5 Likes

Re: The Use Of Virtual Holy Scriptures - Good/bad? by Pretyangel25(f): 12:31pm On Jul 14, 2013
No comment. Etighi tinz
Re: The Use Of Virtual Holy Scriptures - Good/bad? by UjSizzle(f): 12:40pm On Jul 14, 2013
You've been watching way too many Nigerian movies if you actually believe waving a book before a demon will make it run.

That said, it is not the vessel that holds the word that matters, it's the content itself. It's the faith and power of God inherent in the person who weilds the word as a weapon that chases the demon.
Moses read from a tablet, Jesus from a scroll, a century ago..it was a gigantic book that had to be kept at a spot. Later it was smaller so it can moved around or placed in a pocket. Today thanks to technology and the ever growing need to spread the gospel we have Bible Apps to dowload in the one device everyone wishes to own.
This is having the word at your finger tips and has nothing to do with fashion. Christians all over the world should be grateful for this.

3 Likes

Re: The Use Of Virtual Holy Scriptures - Good/bad? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 12:47pm On Jul 14, 2013
Virtual Bible is good. It's the word that matters.
Re: The Use Of Virtual Holy Scriptures - Good/bad? by BlackPeni5: 12:53pm On Jul 14, 2013
Funny people...no wonder people now have greater faith in their pastors over the word of God.

Before the advent of paper, the scriptures were written in stone (the ten commandments). Does this mean it is less effective now that it is in paper?

Besides, the bible is just an ordinary book if the person wielding it has no faith in it. Disregard the form and embrace the message.

1 Like

Re: The Use Of Virtual Holy Scriptures - Good/bad? by thickhabbey(m): 12:56pm On Jul 14, 2013
There's no way one would cast out demon with an ipad that has so many illicit pictures, 'Mojo' and so many devilish contents. You can ask urself Do I only have the holy bible on my device?

3 Likes

Re: The Use Of Virtual Holy Scriptures - Good/bad? by cecegorz(m): 1:01pm On Jul 14, 2013
Reminds me of the day I travelled to another city a couple of years back and decided to worship at the Winners Chapel there.
As I whipped out my phone and launched Bible app, an usher rushed me and insisted that I must put out the phone, and that eBibles are prohibited, I obeyed to maintain peace but I was so pissed.
We can as well go back to the age of tablets of stones because even paper is a recent invention.
What sayeth the scriptures? 'It is the spirit that giveth life, the letter killeth'
In other words, whether you carry stone tablets or dead sea scrolls, if the word does not dwell in you richly, the devil will snatch the patchments from you, then use it to flog you well. You can ask the seven sons of Sceva.

3 Likes

Re: The Use Of Virtual Holy Scriptures - Good/bad? by BarryX(m): 1:01pm On Jul 14, 2013
The dynamism of the different Gospel presentation styles should even be a better reason to say the Alpha and Omega is wonderful and still relevant to this day unlike some others that i know where a single change in presentation could spark an onslaught.***singing*** JEHOVAH REIGNS___HE REIGNS 2X___ YOU'RE LIFTED UP ABOVE OTHER gODS[

1 Like

Re: The Use Of Virtual Holy Scriptures - Good/bad? by UjSizzle(f): 1:05pm On Jul 14, 2013
thickhabbey: There's no way one would cast out demon with an ipad that has so many illicit pictures, 'Mojo' and so many devilish contents. You can ask urself Do I only have the holy bible on my device?
This is just as funny as it is stewpid. Are you saying then that a device without 'corrupt' content can cast out demons?
Hmmm i'm starting to see the reason for the first 5letters of your moniker.

1 Like

Re: The Use Of Virtual Holy Scriptures - Good/bad? by BarryX(m): 1:11pm On Jul 14, 2013
cecegorz: Reminds me of the day I travelled to another city a couple of years back and decided to worship at the Winners Chapel there.
As I whipped out my phone and launched Bible app, an usher rushed me and insisted that I must put out the phone, and that eBibles are prohibited, I obeyed to maintain peace but I was so pissed.
We can as well go back to the age of tablets of stones because even paper is a recent invention.
What sayeth the scriptures? 'It is the spirit that giveth life, the letter killeth'
In other words, whether you carry stone tablets or dead sea scrolls, if the word does not dwell in you richly, the devil will snatch the patchments from you, then use it to flog you well. You can ask the seven sons of Sceva.
That can be embarrasing to say the least.BUT i won't agree with the bolded ---- i think they just tell people to switch off their phones probably because of calling tones distractions not really because of ebibles. they can pass for silent mode if you clarify yourself
Re: The Use Of Virtual Holy Scriptures - Good/bad? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 1:29pm On Jul 14, 2013
I would say that if stones are good enough for god, they should be good enough for his followers. They should stop using these modern Satanic inventions made by atheists.
Re: The Use Of Virtual Holy Scriptures - Good/bad? by ocelot2006(m): 1:43pm On Jul 14, 2013
In the days of the old and new testament, scrolls were used. I guess we have "sinned" by moving from that to hard copies of the bibles and now virtual copies on tablets/smart phones
Re: The Use Of Virtual Holy Scriptures - Good/bad? by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jul 14, 2013
Too long!
Re: The Use Of Virtual Holy Scriptures - Good/bad? by Reference(m): 2:36pm On Jul 14, 2013
The simple answer to this is - no effect whatsoever. The Scriptures whether on TV, radio, tablets, book, newspaper or toilet roll remains the Word of God as long as the texts are recognizeable.

However the bible makes it clear that when people, brethren are gathered a new dynamic operates under the canopy called love. Thus if you love your brethren you will not do things that will cause offence leading to his fall. This can be the clothes you wear, the display of wealth or the display of sophistication (which can often be misinterpreted).

There are also issues of obedience to authority which God takes seriously. If your assembly doesn't permit it just don't do it.

The scriptures does acknowledge advancement in mankind during the latter days but is not specific on what is in order and what is not but if you are a proper christian whose conscience is alive you have the Holy Spirit to approve or disprove what you wear, use, eat or do.

1 Like

Re: The Use Of Virtual Holy Scriptures - Good/bad? by Nobody: 2:44pm On Jul 14, 2013
Message to Mukina
#Free Abu Mikey
Re: The Use Of Virtual Holy Scriptures - Good/bad? by OmolodMilkman93(m): 2:45pm On Jul 14, 2013
illicit:
so u r pratically saying dat if i wave my ipad/iphone during an attack, demon go run?
is d Bible a talisman?

1 Like

Re: The Use Of Virtual Holy Scriptures - Good/bad? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jul 14, 2013
I use one today, the ebible in my lg phone, infert i don‘t go to church with hard copy bible any longer, i think it dose not matters where the word of GOD is being writting, but the most important thing is the word of GOD itself, not the medion.

1 Like

Re: The Use Of Virtual Holy Scriptures - Good/bad? by olumyde(m): 3:11pm On Jul 14, 2013
@OP, you just beat be to this. I've been waiting for today to put up this topic, and here it is on front page. @topic, nothing wrong in using ebible.

1 Like

Re: The Use Of Virtual Holy Scriptures - Good/bad? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Jul 14, 2013
It doesn't matter what form it's in. . what matters is the Word of God in it! Who said waving a Bible during a demonic or whatever attack will drive the demon away?? It won't!
Demons flee when you call upon the Name of Jesus!

1 Like

Re: The Use Of Virtual Holy Scriptures - Good/bad? by alolatee(m): 3:40pm On Jul 14, 2013
Biblically it is not wrong.But,if i will eat meat and it will cause another person to stumble i will rather not eat meat as Paul will say.some are not as matured in faith and it will not serve them rightly if you don't go to church with your hard copy.also you cannot jot down points as the preacher is talking.it is essential you are with your hard copy so as not to upset the faith of some.
Re: The Use Of Virtual Holy Scriptures - Good/bad? by redcliff: 4:07pm On Jul 14, 2013
[size=14pt]Nigerians place so much emphasis on symbolism these days and the question i would like to ask is if Jesus in his time placed emphasis on symbolism. He merely worked with the word. It was in the old testament this symbolism prevailed e.g in the time God asked moses to stretch out his rod to divide the sea and alot of other examples. So i also ask myself, why is it that pastors these days ask the congregation to raise their bibles to heaven? [/size]
Re: The Use Of Virtual Holy Scriptures - Good/bad? by redcliff: 4:13pm On Jul 14, 2013
cecegorz: Reminds me of the day I travelled to another city a couple of years back and decided to worship at the Winners Chapel there.
[size=14pt]recent invention you say? u sure abt that?[/size]
Re: The Use Of Virtual Holy Scriptures - Good/bad? by cecegorz(m): 4:31pm On Jul 14, 2013
BarryX: That can be embarrasing to say the least.BUT i won't agree with the bolded ---- i think they just tell people to switch off their phones probably because of calling tones distractions not really because of ebibles. they can pass for silent mode if you clarify yourself
I thought as much too. But even after pleading that the phone was in silent mode, she insisted on my doing away with it still.
It was a blanket ban. I later confirmed from the members.
Re: The Use Of Virtual Holy Scriptures - Good/bad? by mygee33(m): 5:00pm On Jul 14, 2013
de old bible was on a scroll. so make u go back to tradition na
Re: The Use Of Virtual Holy Scriptures - Good/bad? by lawsbanks: 5:02pm On Jul 14, 2013
Its not about you waving your bible or even putting the bible under your pillow, in fact u may wake up with headache cos ur head wasn't well placed on the pillow because of the bible under.........it is the word of God that is used in the face of situation or encounter either with demon or anything that presents itself as an obstacle........kip enjoying God my people...... wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

11 Verses That Turns Christians To Atheism. / Praying With Fanta Brings Endless Prosperity! — Lady / 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.