Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,151 members, 7,807,501 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:20 PM

Quotations Against Tithing By Reputable Men Of God - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Quotations Against Tithing By Reputable Men Of God (6207 Views)

Is Our Lord Jesus Christ Against Tithing? / The Backlash Against Tithing - A Must Read / Popular Bible Quotations For Memorization And Meditation — Deuteronomy 31:8 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Quotations Against Tithing By Reputable Men Of God by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jul 14, 2013
frosbel:

You still don't get it do you.

The TITHE has been abolished, only greedy people who depend on this FRAUD will defend it to the death.

shocked How? Where? sad When? angry Show me grin
Re: Quotations Against Tithing By Reputable Men Of God by DrummaBoy(m): 6:32pm On Jul 14, 2013
@Bidam

You got your quotes but as usual U will have a response.

Yes, they spoke beyond 10% (and none of us oppose this. In fact that is what we insist on. Do not IMPOSE a standard of giving, give people liberty to give as they are led. Above or below 10th%) but they also condemned the tithe specifically Luther, Wesley, Graham, Spurgeon, etc.

Tithing is a new generation fraud and U will do well to stop imposing it on people. That is d point of this thread.
Re: Quotations Against Tithing By Reputable Men Of God by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jul 14, 2013
DrummaBoy: @Bidam

You got your quotes but as usual U will have a response.

Yes, they spoke beyond 10% (and none of us oppose this. In fact that is what we insist on. Do not IMPOSE a standard of giving, give people liberty to give as they are led. Above or below 10th%) but they also condemned the tithe specifically Luther, Wesley, Graham, Spurgeon, etc.

Tithing is a new generation fraud and U will do well to stop imposing it on people. That is d point of this thread.
These men are not my standards, more so i asked you about Luther and spurgeon and you failed in showing me where they categorically condemn the tithes.The problem with you guys is you lack understanding when it comes to kingdom priorites.Anytime it comes to money matters you quickly wear your intellectual caps and start calling yourselves kings and priest and Jesus abolishing the tithes.The kingdom of God is ordered,individually we are all kings and priest but corporately we are either kings or priests. Priest refers to the fivefold ministry gifts, while kings refers to every other saint irrespective of what their jobs/careers are. Paul was bold in making these statements here which all of you fail to see 1 Corinthians 9:13.

Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar?
Re: Quotations Against Tithing By Reputable Men Of God by Nobody: 7:22pm On Jul 14, 2013
^^^^

Paul was a tent maker, Jesus was a carpenter, Peter was a fisherman, Luke was a doctor, Bidam is a ...................

smiley
Re: Quotations Against Tithing By Reputable Men Of God by DrummaBoy(m): 9:11pm On Jul 14, 2013
^... a tithe collector

lol!!!

3 Likes

Re: Quotations Against Tithing By Reputable Men Of God by Goshen360(m): 9:21pm On Jul 14, 2013
frosbel: ^^^^

Paul was a tent maker, Jesus was a carpenter, Peter was a fisherman, Luke was a doctor, Bidam is a ...................

smiley

DrummaBoy: ^... a tithe collector

lol!!!

shocked grin grin grin
Re: Quotations Against Tithing By Reputable Men Of God by DrummaBoy(m): 9:30pm On Jul 14, 2013
@ Bidam

Apparently U didn't read those posts in d OP bc d answer to ur questions are there.

Now those preachers did not amplify on their opposition to tithing bc it was not an issue then. Save for Catholics and Mormons, hardly did protestant congregation tithe. To help your memory, just in case you missed it:

Luther:
“But the other commandments of Moses, which are not by nature, the Gentiles do not hold. Nor do these pertain to the Gentiles, such as the TITHE...

Calvin:
For the Lord through the hand of Moses did not give that law to be proclaimed among all nations and to be in force everywhere; but when he had taken the Jewish nation into his safekeeping, defense, and protection, he also willed to be a lawgiver especially to it

Wesley:
Render unto God not a tenth, not a third, not half, but all that is God's (be it more or less) by employing all on yourself, your household, the household of faith and all mankind, in such a manner that you may give a good account of your stewardship when ye can be no longer stewards...

Spurgeon:
But you are not under a system similar to that by which the Jews were obliged to pay tithes to the priests. If there were any such rule laid down in the Gospel, it would destroy the beauty of spontaneous giving and take away all the bloom from the fruit of your liberality!

[b]Billy Graham
It (tithing) is not mentioned in the New Testament except where it is describing Old Testament practices or in the Gospels where Jesus is addressing people who were under the Old Testament law. Note Jesus' comments to the Pharisees in Luke 11:42? A New Testament teaching on giving which may be helpful to you is found in 1 Corinthians 16:2.... This passage brings out four points: we should give individually, regularly, methodically, and proportionately. The matter of your giving is between you and God, and He always takes into account our circumstances. He knows when they are beyond our power to direct and control. The important thing is that we see giving as a privilege and not a burden. It should not be out of a sense of duty, but rather out of love for the Lord and a desire to see His kingdom advanced. Second Corinthians 9:6-7..... What has priority in our lives? Is Christ really first--or do we put ourselves and our own desires first? Make sure Christ is first in your life, and then ask Him to guide you.[/b]
Tithing took on a new life in d 19th century when institutional churches began to proliferate.

The last person who would have taught tithing was Luther because the indulgence he opposed in 1517 - giving to church for d repose of d souls of dead loved ones from purgatory to heaven - are the same things we oppose today. Except the names have changed. It was indulgence then; it is tithing today.

Both of them have in them d same pagan belief that one can curry God's favor with money. The end result is that people are impoverished and the church smiles to the bank.

Catholics built d St Peter's Bassiclica using these indulgence monies; our tithe collecting churches are also busy building all over d place. What's d difference?

Bidam: These men are not my standards, more so i asked you about Luther and spurgeon and you failed in showing me where they categorically condemn the tithes.The problem with you guys is you lack understanding when it comes to kingdom priorites. Anytime it comes to money matters you quickly wear your intellectual caps and start calling yourselves kings and priest and Jesus abolishing the tithes.The kingdom of God is ordered,individually we are all kings and priest but corporately we are either kings or priests. Priest refers to the fivefold ministry gifts, while kings refers to every other saint irrespective of what their jobs/careers are. Paul was bold in making these statements here which all of you fail to see 1 Corinthians 9:13.

Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar?

But to allow you go away with some face saving, you can allow that these men are just men, and what they say is not equal to scripture. I agree with that too. And then they did not categorically condemn tithing. Nor did they categorically approve it either. They only said it is not in tandem with NT Christianity.
Re: Quotations Against Tithing By Reputable Men Of God by DrummaBoy(m): 2:43am On Jul 15, 2013
To lend credence to the fact that tithing is a modern thing, here are quotes from early Church fathers (along with their source):

Early Church Fathers:

Justin Martyr: [p252] (150 AD) (tithing)

"And the wealthy among us help the needy. . . when our prayer is ended, bread and wine and water are brought, and the president in like manner offers prayers and thanksgiving, according to his ability, and the people assent, saying Amen; and there is a distribution to each, and a participation of that over which thanks have been given, and to those who are absent a portion is sent by the deacons. And they who are well to do, and willing, give what each thinks fit; and what is collected is deposited with the president, who succors the orphans and widows and those who, through sickness or any other cause, are in want, and those who are in bonds and the strangers sojourning among us" (First Apology, chap. 67). Also compare Dialogue with Trypho, chapters 17, 19, 33, 112.

Irenaeus:
[p254] (150-200 AD). (tithing) Did not teach tithing. Against Heresies, book 4, chap. 13, para. 3 and chap. 18

Tertullian
[p242] [Church Father] (150-220 AD), 304. (tithing) Did not teach tithing.
(Marcion, book 4, chap. 27) (Marcion, book 5, chap. 9).
[Apology, xxxix "Every man brings some modest coin once a month or whenever he wishes, and only if he is willing and able; it is a freewill offering. You might call them the trust-funds of piety; they are spent . . . on the support and burial of the poor. "

Ante-Nicene Fathers:
Vol. 3, page 46, quotation of Apology, chapter 39. "The tried men of our elders preside over us, obtaining that honor, not by purchase, but by established character. There is no buying or selling of any sort in the things of God. Though we have our treasure-chest, it is not made-up of purchase money, as of a religion that has its price. ?On the monthly day, if he likes, each puts in a small donation; but only if it be his pleasure, and only if he be able: for there is no compulsion; all is voluntary. These gifts are, as it were, piety's deposit fund.' For they are not taken thence and spent on feasts, and drinking-bouts, and eating-houses, but to support and bury poor people, to supply the wants of boys and girls destitute of means and parents, and of old persons confined now to the house; such, too, as have suffered shipwreck; and if there happen to be any in the mines, or banished to the islands, or shut up in the prisons, for noting but their fidelity to the cause of God's church, they become the nurslings of their confession."

Now in the quotes above no mention of tithe is made. They were simply talking of the general form of giving. But note that the giving here were free will giving and this was to the poor and needy, and not to ministers. It can safely be said that the question of tithing or not tithing never even came close to thier minds as tithing was a Jewish thing and these were gentile congregation, and so are we.
Re: Quotations Against Tithing By Reputable Men Of God by Image123(m): 4:11am On Jul 15, 2013
Again we must assume that Jesus Christ and all the preachers around the world are not reputable men of God. confused bunch, when we show them the full messages of these men now, they'll start stammering some gibberish about following christ.
Re: Quotations Against Tithing By Reputable Men Of God by Nobody: 7:41am On Jul 15, 2013
frosbel: ^^^^

smiley
Bidam doesn't depend on God's tithe o.He is a hard working individual abeg.
Re: Quotations Against Tithing By Reputable Men Of God by Nobody: 7:43am On Jul 15, 2013
DrummaBoy: ^... a tithe collector

lol!!!
Let's stop this tantrums abeg.Bidam doesn't own God's tithe.
Re: Quotations Against Tithing By Reputable Men Of God by PastorKun(m): 8:08am On Jul 15, 2013
Bidam: Let's stop this tantrums abeg.Bidam doesn't own God's tithe.

Nobody has accused you of collecting God's tithe as nobody collects God's tithe today. What you are guilty of is using God's name to collect pastorial tithe and using it for your greedy/selfish desires.

1 Like

Re: Quotations Against Tithing By Reputable Men Of God by PastorKun(m): 8:08am On Jul 15, 2013
@Drummaboy
Keep up the good work. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Quotations Against Tithing By Reputable Men Of God by Nobody: 8:27am On Jul 15, 2013
DrummaBoy: @ Bidam

Apparently U didn't read those posts in d OP bc d answer to ur questions are there.
I did,you went ahead of yourself quoting irrelevancy which i don't have time for.Time is precious to me really.
Now those preachers did not amplify on their opposition to tithing bc it was not an issue then
You've now come down your high horse.I thought you said they condemned the tithe.
Save for Catholics and Mormons, hardly did protestant congregation tithe.
May be thy understand church administrations better than others.God is no respecter of persons.He is a respecter of principles.
To help your memory, just in case you missed it:

[/b]

[b]
Ok o i don see am, if they are you standards go ahead and apply them.Truth is God has a way of taking care of His household even with the spiritual laxity of ananias and saphira of our day.Being a "old" christian doesn't mean you know the scriptures better,overtaking is permitted in God's kingdom.Out of the mouth of babes and infant,God has ordained strength.

Tithing took on a new life in d 19th century when institutional churches began to proliferate.
grin Thank God for the outpouring of His Spirit, your research is telling you God has not forgotten His people.
The last person who would have taught tithing was Luther because the indulgence he opposed in 1517 - giving to church for d repose of d souls of dead loved ones from purgatory to heaven - are the same things we oppose today. Except the names have changed. It was indulgence then; it is tithing today.
Hmnn..you can wake luther from the grave and ask him whether he meant indulgence is tithing.Are you trying to force words in luther's writings SMH
Both of them have in them d same pagan belief that one can curry God's favor with money. The end result is that people are impoverished and the church smiles to the bank.
This is what i mean by you wearing your intellectual cap when it comes to money matters.In the eyes of God according to sacred scriptures, people are NEVER impoverish when they honour God with their substance.That is the way the world thinks,but never the way the kingdom of God operates.It's a lie from the pit of hell to say that ministers who labour in the word and doctrine shouldn't be rewarded of double honour.
Catholics built d St Peter's Bassiclica using these indulgence monies; our tithe collecting churches are also busy building all over d place. What's d difference?
You should take time to also find out why these people are prospering,since you re good in making research.These energies you channel into finding arguments about God's tithes should be channeled instead into advancing God's kingdom.

But to allow you go away with some face saving, you can allow that these men are just men, and what they say is not equal to scripture. I agree with that too. And then they did not categorically condemn tithing. Nor did they categorically approve it either. They only said it is not in tandem with NT Christianity.
I laff, i gave you pearls and this is what i get? These men are dead, i am alive.Remember God wants no grey areas .
Re: Quotations Against Tithing By Reputable Men Of God by DrummaBoy(m): 11:34am On Jul 15, 2013
@Pastor Kun, thank you jare

@ Bidam

YOU wanted these quotes I took time, opened a new thread and gave them to U and now what... now, it is that they are just men. What exactly do you want?

This tithe thread is unique in that here we have people's opinion on the tithe and not just scriptures. Other thread we debate scriptures but apparently those scriptures have not convinced U. I would advice that U also get your reputable men of God and post their quotes here and let us contrast them.

If not, do what your brother Olaadegbu has so wisely done, keep shut and pretend You didn't see this thread, rather than disgracing yourself all over the place.

3 Likes

Re: Quotations Against Tithing By Reputable Men Of God by Image123(m): 10:23pm On Jul 15, 2013
BTW
http://slaveoftheword..com/2010/03/selection-of-post-tithe-quotes-spurgeon.html?m=1

Most tithe teachers like Jesus and the apostles will give similar comments depending on proper context. No sane preacher would be found directly attacking tithes which Jesus Christ taught. Its like Jesus saying "why callest thou me good? " and someone holds on tightly to that to be bad.
Re: Quotations Against Tithing By Reputable Men Of God by Image123(m): 10:45pm On Jul 15, 2013
Spurgeon, a "reputable" man of God on heaven and hell.
http://www.spurgeon.org/sermons/0039.htm

very graphic, thickly 'anointed' piece BTW. Hope you find grace to read through and also believe.
Re: Quotations Against Tithing By Reputable Men Of God by Nobody: 10:49pm On Jul 15, 2013
Image123: Spurgeon, a "reputable" man of God on heaven and hell.
http://www.spurgeon.org/sermons/0039.htm

very graphic, thickly 'anointed' piece BTW. Hope you find grace to read through and also believe.

oh tell us a different story, as if we should shake in our boots at the mention of Spurgeon.

The only testimony I believe is that of the bible or that which lines up with the bible.

Stop following men into error.

I hope you know Spurgeon loved his cigars , should we all start smoking cigars because we are trying to emulate a 'great' man of GOD.

Smh.
Re: Quotations Against Tithing By Reputable Men Of God by Image123(m): 11:03pm On Jul 15, 2013
Image123: Again we must assume that Jesus Christ and all the preachers around the world are not reputable men of God. confused bunch, when we show them the full messages of these men now, they'll start stammering some gibberish about following christ.
spot on

1 Like

Re: Quotations Against Tithing By Reputable Men Of God by Nobody: 11:05pm On Jul 15, 2013
^^^

Comparing Jesus the Son of GOD to your entourage of idols.

smh , no wonder you are so mired into error.

Repent !!

smiley

Note : I admire some of these MEN , but they are not the authority on the word of GOD , neither do they have the last say in spiritual matters.
Re: Quotations Against Tithing By Reputable Men Of God by Nobody: 11:21pm On Jul 15, 2013
DrummaBoy: @Pastor Kun, thank you jare

@ Bidam

YOU wanted these quotes I took time, opened a new thread and gave them to U and now what... now, it is that they are just men. What exactly do you want?

This tithe thread is unique in that here we have people's opinion on the tithe and not just scriptures. Other thread we debate scriptures but apparently those scriptures have not convinced U. I would advice that U also get your reputable men of God and post their quotes here and let us contrast them.

If not, do what your brother Olaadegbu has so wisely done, keep shut and pretend You didn't see this thread, rather than disgracing yourself all over the place.
Rather you are the one disgracing yourself here. I pray that the light of tithing will arise in your heart and may the Holy Spirit birth in you the heart desire to pay your tithes as unto the Lord AND NOT unto men.Amen.
Re: Quotations Against Tithing By Reputable Men Of God by Nobody: 11:23pm On Jul 15, 2013
Bidam: Rather you are the one disgracing yourself here. I pray that the light of tithing will arise in your heart and may the Holy Spirit birth in you the heart desire to pay your tithes as unto the Lord AND NOT unto men.Amen.

don't mention GOD alongside the tithe FRAUD.

smiley
Re: Quotations Against Tithing By Reputable Men Of God by Nobody: 11:34pm On Jul 15, 2013
frosbel:

don't mention GOD alongside the tithe FRAUD.

smiley
You who love to quote the OT whenever it suits you to argue against hell doctrine,you clearly do not know what you are saying because God plainly and clearly says in in Lev. 27: 30-32, "All the tithe of the land, seed of the land, or fruit of the trees is the Lord's and is holy unto the Lord".If you see God tell him it is fraud not me.
Re: Quotations Against Tithing By Reputable Men Of God by flourishG(m): 12:00am On Jul 16, 2013
Bidam: You who love to quote the OT whenever it suits you to argue against hell doctrine,you clearly do not know what you are saying because God plainly and clearly says in in Lev. 27: 30-32, "All the tithe of the land, seed of the land, or fruit of the trees is the Lord's and is holy unto the Lord".If you see God tell him it is fraud not me.
I knew u will be one of tithe teachers.which land n which seed of da land is da verse talking about?please explain.da verse say "land".
Re: Quotations Against Tithing By Reputable Men Of God by Nobody: 6:38am On Jul 16, 2013
flourishG: I knew u will be one of tithe teachers.which land n which seed of da land is da verse talking about?please explain.da verse say "land".
Stop looking at that scripture with a veil.God owns everything,the earth is the Lord's and it fullness thereof,the world and everything in it.Man is just a custodian/steward.When God says you should give him a token,He meant it.Look at it as a spiritual principle,tithe doesn't has to be in terms of monetary gifts.It can be your talents,time,resources given to you by God. Paul says to present your bodies as living sacrifices wholly acceptable to God which is your reasonable service,it is not necessarily talking about physical bodies but your availability to the things of God and His KINGDOM.
Re: Quotations Against Tithing By Reputable Men Of God by DrummaBoy(m): 11:53am On Jul 16, 2013
Bidam: Stop looking at that scripture with a veil.God owns everything,the earth is the Lord's and it fullness thereof,the world and everything in it.Man is just a custodian/steward.When God says you should give him a token,He meant it.Look at it as a spiritual principle,tithe doesn't has to be in terms of monetary gifts.It can be your talents,time,resources given to you by God. Paul says to present your bodies as living sacrifices wholly acceptable to God which is your reasonable service,it is not necessarily talking about physical bodies but your availability to the things of God and His KINGDOM.

Except you refuse to understand, and continue to make this tithe fraud blind your thinking, there is only one theme that runs through all the position the men of God I qouted took on tithing and that is that tithing is not a NT injuction. Rather, we are called to give - or better still grace giving, give as God has prospered you. Wesley even went further that faithfulnes in giving is shown in how we faithfully use our finances, which includes providing for our home before at all giving to church. So he concluded that we are not to give a tenth, a halve or any proportion at all; we are to give all to God. That is be seen to be faithful in the use of our finances.

Now let me appraise this principle you continue to mention. In the debate Ewuosho had with Russel, Ewuosho mentioned that tithing was a principle. Like prayer, in the OT prayer was shown as sacrfices, etc. We do not sacrifice anymore but still pray. He mentioned some other principles that have evolved over the years. He said tithing has evolved from Abraham giving a tenth to Melchizedek in Genesis, to tithing of land produce in Mosaic days, unto, of course, our tithing our salaries today. It sounded good but it is the language fraudsters use.

If tithing can be likened to any principle at all, the principle that tithing follows is the principle of giving.. It is giving that has evolved over the years. But one principle of giving is that he that ministers spiritual things to others, they should minister there physical good to him. In the mosaic days, it was tithing. In our days, it is free-will giving. To employ the tithe and use it as an all time principle is to teach something the word of God does not teach, nor reputable men of God in the past (in spite of their differences in theological outlook) and it is to teach something reputable men of God do not teach today.

3 Likes

Re: Quotations Against Tithing By Reputable Men Of God by DrummaBoy(m): 12:15pm On Jul 16, 2013
Again, this thread is dedicated to what reputable men of God say on tithing:

Here, we have Chafer, Lewis Sperry [p224-226], Major Bible Themes, Revised, quotes the Rev. John Walvoord, Founder of Dallas Theological Seminary (Grand Rapids: Academie Books),page: 253-55.

"In matters pertaining to the giving of money, the grace principle involves the believer's recognition of God's sovereign authority over all that the Christian is and has, and contrasts with the Old Testament legal system of tithing which was in force as a part of the law until the law was done away with (John 1:16-17; Rom. 6:14; 7:1-6; 2 Cor. 3:1-18; Gal. 3:19-25; 5:18; Eph. 2:15; Col. 2:14). Though certain principles of the law were carried forward and restated under grace, tithing, like Sabbath observance, is never imposed on the believer in this dispensation. Since the Lord's Day superseded the legal Sabbath and is adapted to the principles of grace as the Sabbath could not be, so tithing has been superseded by a new system of giving which is adapted to the teachings of grace, as tithing could not be."

"C. Their giving was not by commandment [1 Cor. 8:8], nor of necessity [2 Cor. 9:7]. Under the law, a tenth was commanded and its payment was a necessity; under grace, God is not seeking the gift, but an expression of devotion from the giver. Under grace no law is imposed and no proportion to be given is stipulated, and, while it is true that God works in the yielded heart both to will and to do His good pleasure (Phil. 2:13), He finds pleasure only in that gift which is given cheerfully, or more literally, "hilariously" (2 Cor. 9:7)...."

"grin. The early Christians, first of all, gave themselves. Acceptable giving is preceded by a complete giving of oneself (2 Cor. 8:5). This suggests the important truth that giving under grace, like giving under the law, is limited to a certain class of people. Tithing was never imposed by God on any other than the nation Israel (Lev. 27:34; Num. 18:23-24; Mal. 3:7-10)...."

"F. God sustains the giver. God will sustain grace-giving with limitless temporal resources (2 Cor. 9:8-10; Luke 6:38). In this connection it may be seen that those who give as much as a tenth are usually prospered in temporal things, but since the believer can have no relation to the law (Gal. 5:1), it is evident that this prosperity is the fulfillment of the promise under grace, rather than the fulfillment of promises under the law. No blessings are thus dependent on the exact tithing...." 266
Re: Quotations Against Tithing By Reputable Men Of God by DrummaBoy(m): 12:35pm On Jul 16, 2013
So far I have quoted what reputable men of God said on tithing. In this post, I request my readers to contrast these quotes with what our own "reputable" men of God say about tithing:

Pastor E. A. Adeboye is quoted in the story from this weblink: http://www..com/talk/topic,46039.0.html, a story that has gained wide reading here on nairaland:

Members of the fastest growing church in Africa, The Redeemed Christian Church of God are in shock as their respected General Overseer, Pastor Enoch Adeboye, has decreed that defaulters in the payment of tithe would no longer enjoy their marriage being blessed by the church. It was gathered that during the last Holy Ghost convention that held between August 9 -15, 2010, at the Redeemed camp, Pastor Adeboye had a private meeting with his senior pastors where he told them to inform their parish members that henceforth, anybody who does not pay his or her tithe is not faithful and as such will not get any assistance from the church. Furthermore, he stated that it will be a major criterion for ordaining pastors. If you want to be ordained as a pastor and you default in this area you will be disqualified. This includes deacons and deaconesses. Also if you want to get married in the church, your tithe record will be the deciding factor. Parish members were informed that from their head assemblies, they will send their tithe envelopes for upward review at the headquarters. Pastor Adeboye said this new rule will show the members obedience to the church and to God.

These is what the leaders of Winners chapel (Bishop Oyedepo and Bishop Abioye) have to say about the tithe, qouted from https://www.nairaland.com/939913/101-reasons-pay-tithe.

"You don't only tithe on your income ... you tithe also on the benevolences that come your way!" Bishop Oyedepo

"... Prayer and fasting can't avert the curse of poverty! ...Can I say this to you? ... 'There is no point in sowing any seed .. if you are not a tither!' Because the harvest will still be vulnerable to the devourer! .. " Bishop Oyedepo

"Until you re-position your life in truth, regarding tithing .. your prayer and fasting has just began!."Prayer and fasting ... will never open the Heaven! ... And prayer and fasting can't stop the devourer of your financial resources! " Bishop Oyedepo

This apostle of prosperity is showing you a mystery, right now!" Bishop Oyedepo @WinnersChapelNL shocked

"Whether you are a high priest or a low priest ... whether you are a founder or a fellower ..... If you are not a tither .. you live perpetually under a closed Heaven! " Bishop Oyedepo @WinnersChapelNL. " Bishop Oyedepo

"Things will remain tighter until you become a tither! ... Tithe belongs to GOD!" Bishop Abioye

"Things will remain tighter until you become a tither ... things will remain tighter until you become a tither! ... " Bishop Abioye

See as people don dey use 'prayer and fasting' do threat.

There is only one conclusion that can be made from these contrast, while the other men of God did not enforce the tithe but encouraged grace giving, our own pastors overlook the admonition in 2 Corinthians 9:7, about giving out of necessity or obligation, and insist everyone must tithe or be denied church privileges. Or, they say if you do not tithe, you will be cursed.

I myself came across the things that make one a full fledged member of my church here in Ibadan. A list of 20 items are made and number 19 says one has to be a faithful tither. So now that I no longer tithe, that document means I am not a faithful member of that church.

Can we appreciate how low the church has gotten by these contrast?
Re: Quotations Against Tithing By Reputable Men Of God by DrummaBoy(m): 1:02pm On Jul 16, 2013
Image123: Again we must assume that Jesus Christ and all the preachers around the world are not reputable men of God. confused bunch, when we show them the full messages of these men now, they'll start stammering some gibberish about following christ.

This is what Jesus of Nazareth had to say about the tithe:

Mat 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier [matters] of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
And same scripture can be found in Luke also.

Three things can be gotten from the Lord of glory's statemtnt
1. The pharisees pay tithe: Christians do not pay anything; there is no obligation to giving. If the pharisee give tithe then you could suggest Christians too could give tithe but according to 2 Corinthians 9:7

2Cr 9:7 You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don't give reluctantly or in response to pressure. "For God loves a person who gives cheerfully." [fn] NLV

2Cr 9:7 Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. NIV

2Cr 9:7 [So let] each one [give] as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver. NKJV

Paying command compulsion; giving dennotes free will. Jesus would never say Christians should pay anything, especially after he has payed it all; rather, he would have us to give as we have been given - free will.

2. Jesus says that there are weightier matters of the law; therefore, the tithe is not weighty. This is what Paul says about issues that are not weighty in the church, including that tithing (that is if you agree that tithing is not weighty):

Rom 14:4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.
Rom 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day [alike]. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
Rom 14:6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth [it] unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard [it]. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks

We see Paul position on things that are not weighty: 1. Let every man be fully convinced in his heart: allow people the freedom to choose what to do. DO NOT IMPOSE IT ON THEM, because it is not weighty, it is not important. 2. He that tithes, it is to God he tithes, he will receive his reward. He that doesn't but chooses to give some other way, he does the same to the Lord and God is able to bless him too. We should not judge.

3. Not to leave tithing undone. This is the basis for the very weighty matter of tithing, that our churches have based thier action on. Just a statement from Christ, that does not even have the word tithe in it. It shows how unimportant it was to the Lord and how important we have made to ourselves. The response is simple: Jesus was speaking to men, pharisees, under the law, just as he was, and since he kept the law, they should also. To say other wise is to break the law and our Lord did not break the law.

Image 123, the whole trust of this rejoinder is to show you that Jesus mentioned tithing, but it was not weighty and it will do you and your other tithe collecting and giving folks to consider it that way too. If tithing was not important to our churches, why are people being almost excommunicated from the church for not tithing?

2 Likes

Re: Quotations Against Tithing By Reputable Men Of God by flourishG(m): 2:01pm On Jul 16, 2013
Bidam: Stop looking at that scripture with a veil.God owns everything,the earth is the Lord's and it fullness thereof,the world and everything in it.Man is just a custodian/steward.When God says you should give him a token,He meant it.Look at it as a spiritual principle,tithe doesn't has to be in terms of monetary gifts.It can be your talents,time,resources given to you by God. Paul says to present your bodies as living sacrifices wholly acceptable to God which is your reasonable service,it is not necessarily talking about physical bodies but your availability to the things of God and His KINGDOM.
hahaha.you know I hv told you on da other thread u dont know da law neither do u understand it.it is u who needs remove da veil as u now "in Christ".da law says n you just quoted it yourself, "tithe of d land, SEED of the land" n I asked what land?what seed?the Lord speaking to who?remember EVERYTHING in da law is a SHADOW.whhat is da SUBSTANCE of d verse you quoted "tithe of da LAND,SEED of the land"?
Re: Quotations Against Tithing By Reputable Men Of God by Image123(m): 10:22pm On Jul 16, 2013
DrummaBoy:

This is what Jesus of Nazareth had to say about the tithe:

Mat 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier [matters] of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

And same scripture can be found in Luke also.

Three things can be gotten from the Lord of glory's statemtnt
1. The pharisees pay tithe: Christians do not pay anything; there is no obligation to giving. If the pharisee give tithe then you could suggest Christians too could give tithe but according to 2 Corinthians 9:7

Paying command compulsion; giving dennotes free will. Jesus would never say Christians should pay anything, especially after he has payed it all; rather, he would have us to give as we have been given - free will.

2. Jesus says that there are weightier matters of the law; therefore, the tithe is not weighty. This is what Paul says about issues that are not weighty in the church, including that tithing (that is if you agree that tithing is not weighty):

We see Paul position on things that are not weighty: 1. Let every man be fully convinced in his heart: allow people the freedom to choose what to do. DO NOT IMPOSE IT ON THEM, because it is not weighty, it is not important. 2. He that tithes, it is to God he tithes, he will receive his reward. He that doesn't but chooses to give some other way, he does the same to the Lord and God is able to bless him too. We should not judge.

3. Not to leave tithing undone. This is the basis for the very weighty matter of tithing, that our churches have based thier action on. Just a statement from Christ, that does not even have the word tithe in it. It shows how unimportant it was to the Lord and how important we have made to ourselves. The response is simple: Jesus was speaking to men, pharisees, under the law, just as he was, and since he kept the law, they should also. To say other wise is to break the law and our Lord did not break the law.

Image 123, the whole trust of this rejoinder is to show you that Jesus mentioned tithing, but it was not weighty and it will do you and your other tithe collecting and giving folks to consider it that way too. If tithing was not important to our churches, why are people being almost excommunicated from the church for not tithing?
seems you need another education on tithing, seeing all you have been shown has either been forgotten or was never learned or you are among the "ever learning" crew. Jesus Christ taught tithing and said it ought to be done. Let all reputable men of God (so called) be liars and Jesus God be true.
Re: Quotations Against Tithing By Reputable Men Of God by shdemidemi(m): 8:35am On Jul 17, 2013
Image123:
seems you need another education on tithing, seeing all you have been shown has either been forgotten or was never learned or you are among the "ever learning" crew. Jesus Christ taught tithing and said it ought to be done. Let all reputable men of God (so called) be liars and Jesus God be true.

Please help me with a section of scriptures with the doctrine of tithe by Christ.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Suggest A Gospel Song For Wedding Reception / How The Universe Was Created And Who Created It, Disproving Atheism / Why Mohamed Cannot Possibly Be A Prophet Of The True God.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.