Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,327 members, 7,808,100 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:14 AM

George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial (27927 Views)

Senator George Theuri Posts Half-Unclad Picture Of Him And His Wife On Facebook / Woolwich Murder Trial: Michael Adebolajo And Michael Adebowale Found Guilty / Anders Breivik Pleads Not Guilty At Norway Murder Trial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by Nobody: 3:04am On Jul 14, 2013
Nearly a year and a half after Trayvon Martin was shot dead in a central Florida neighborhood, a jury found the man who killed him -- George Zimmerman, who argued that he fired in self defense -- not guilty.

The fact that Zimmerman fired the bullet that killed Martin was never in question, but the verdict means the six-person jury had reasonable doubt that the shooting amounted to a criminal act.

The verdict caps a case that has inflamed passions for well over a year, much of it focused on race and gun rights.

The jurors deliberated for 16½ hours total, including 13 on Saturday alone, before delivering their verdict. Five of the women are white, one is a minority.
Who is the Zimmerman team's black intern?
Who are the Zimmerman jurors?
Key trial moments
The jury's options in Zimmerman trial

When he learned his fate, a quiet Zimmerman had little visible reaction. His face was mostly expressionless. He turned and shook the hand of one of his attorneys before sitting back down, only openly smiling after court was adjourned. His parents, Robert and Gladys Zimmerman, were seated nearby, but Martin's parents were not in the courtroom.

Defense attorney Mark O'Mara said a short time later that he and his team were "ecstatic" with the verdict.

"George Zimmerman was never guilty of anything except protecting himself in self defense," O'Mara said.

Trayvon Martin's father, Tracy Martin, took to Twitter to thank those who have supported his family and vowed they will continue to fight.

"Even though I am broken hearted my faith is unshattered I WILL ALWAYS LOVE MY BABY TRAY," he tweeted.

The jury -- made up of all women -- had three choices: to find Zimmerman guilty of second-degree murder; to find him guilty of the lesser charge of manslaughter; or to find him not guilty.

Earlier in the day, the jury had asked the court for clarification on its instructions regarding manslaughter. Such a query couldn't even have been posed a few days ago: Judge Debra Nelson ruled Thursday, over the defense's vehement objection, to include manslaughter as an option for jurors, in addition to a second-degree murder charge.

To convict Zimmerman of manslaughter, the jurors would have had to believe that he "intentionally committed an act or acts that caused the death of Trayvon Martin." That charge could have carried a sentence of up to 30 years in prison, though the jury was not told of that possible sentence.

For second-degree murder, the jurors would have had to believe that Martin's unlawful killing was "done from ill will, hatred, spite or an evil intent" and would be "of such a nature that the act itself indicates an indifference to human life."

Ultimately, they believed neither. And that means Zimmerman can walk free.

How long other juries deliberated for in other high-profile cases

NAACP president 'outraged and heartbroken'

Scores who had gathered outside the Sanford, Florida, courtroom hoping for a guilty verdict reacted in disbelief after word of the decision trickled through the crowd. Hours earlier, they had given speeches, singing songs and chanting, "We want justice." Some appeared angry, others appeared sad.

Zimmerman supporters also rallied in the courtyard during the day, holding signs saying "Self-defense is a basic human right," "Not enough evidence," and plainly "Not guilty." They had an entirely different view of the case: that Zimmerman had been wrongly implicated, that he'd just done what he could to save his life.

Florida State Attorney Angela Corey defended the second-degree murder charge that was filed against Zimmerman, telling reporters late Saturday that the allegations "fit the bill" for the charge.

"We believe that we brought out the truth on behalf of Trayvon Martin," Corey told reporters shortly after the verdict was announced.

One of her prosecutors, Bernie de la Rionda, expressed disappointment with the jury's decision, but acceptance as well.

"It's not perfect, but it's the best of the world," he said of the jury system. "And we respect the jury's verdict."

The response from NAACP President Benjamin Todd Jealous struck a far different tone.

"We are outraged and heartbroken over today's verdict," Jealous said in a statement, vowing to pursue "civil rights charges" in the case. "We stand with Trayvon's family, and we are called to act."

Don West called the prosecution of his client "disgraceful," adding, "I'm thrilled the jury kept this tragedy from becoming a travesty."

"But it makes me sad that it took this long, under these circumstances, to finally get justice," he added.

His colleague, O'Mara, struck a different tone. He made a point to compliment local law enforcement authorities and, especially, the jury and all the time and effort they put into the process.

"They listened they took notes, they were as engaged as anyone else in the process," O'Mara said. "And it made for the type of verdict that we had to have."
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/13/justice/zimmerman-trial/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by Nobody: 3:06am On Jul 14, 2013
Not really shocking... undecided
Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by Nobody: 3:10am On Jul 14, 2013
What a joke.

2 Likes

Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by Nobody: 3:13am On Jul 14, 2013
ogugua88: What a joke.

I tell you. He wasn't even found guilty of manslaughter. Very strange indeed.

6 Likes

Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by Nobody: 3:17am On Jul 14, 2013
CFCfan: I tell you. He wasn't even found guilty of manslaughter. Very strange indeed.

That's Florida and our weird judicial system for ya. This reminds me of Casey Anthony.

3 Likes

Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by Nobody: 3:19am On Jul 14, 2013
ogugua88:

That's Florida and our weird judicial system for ya. This reminds me of Casey Anthony.

I thought the same thing.
Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by Nobody: 3:21am On Jul 14, 2013
ogugua88:

The prosecution didn't make their case well. The defense counsels absolutely brought their 'A' game in the trial. The star witness was just...blah

1 Like

Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by Nobody: 3:23am On Jul 14, 2013
SniperInADiaper:

I thought the same thing.
It also reminds me of the Al-Mustapha case.
Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by birdman(m): 3:24am On Jul 14, 2013
ogugua88:

Umm, lets not even go there. I dont see the comparison at all. I know people want to circle around the facts here because its painful, but its either we acknowledge the race issue here or wait until the dude being kieeled is your brother, or mother etc. RIP Trayvon, another victim of a racist Florida judicial system

5 Likes

Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by Roland17(m): 3:29am On Jul 14, 2013
This is a very big shame, i am very disappointed with the ruling, the prosecution team did a very bad job especially with the witnesses, they did little or nothing to convince the Jury.

George Zimmerman killed the kid.. the 911 responder clearly told him to back off from the kid but he went ahead..

Its just a big shame, a jury consisting of 6 women

4 Likes

Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by Roland17(m): 3:30am On Jul 14, 2013
There is no way you are going to convince anyone Racial profiling is not consistent with this case.

2 Likes

Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by fittty(m): 3:32am On Jul 14, 2013
Zimmerman made a choice to follow Trayvon, he made a choice to get out of the car, he made the choice to get into it with trayvon and he made a choice to pull out his gun and shoot him. There was no self defense it was all done by choice.

Brandon Jackson (21 year old African American man) is jumped by 7 White men on a clear Hate Crime and he uses a 3 inch knife to protect him self (not kill anyone) and Brandon gets 12 years in prison

Marissa Alexander (30 year old African American woman) is being attacked by her man who has a history of domestic abuse (and later admits to trying to beat her) she gets a gun and shoots a warning shot to keep him from beating her (doesn't hit anyone) and she gets 20 years in prison

Michael Vick gets two years for killing a dog

So lets get this straight... ANYONE(not black) can cruise the streets(armed), see someone that looks suspect to them(armed with candy), call the cops, ignore the cops orders, pursue the unarmed individual and murder him/her, and be found NOT GUILTY. The justice systems only works when blacks are being charged!

Trayvon is dead... Zimmerman is free as a bird... Black people are going to react in a manner which gives them what they want... The angry uncontrollable wild black race!!!

21 Likes

Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by Roland17(m): 3:32am On Jul 14, 2013
What irks me most is that the Prosecution/ state of Florida is not even talking about appealing the case.
Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by birdman(m): 3:33am On Jul 14, 2013
Roland17: There is no way you are going to convince anyone Racial profiling is not consistent with this case.

As soon as I saw the jury, I knew what the verdict was and why. They had that shamed, stressed look where they cant make eye contact. I had no idea Florida was swimming with bigots.

1 Like

Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by Nobody: 3:33am On Jul 14, 2013
This is why after the Casey Anthony case I stopped following court crap. I guess Florida is where everyone seems to get away with murder these days...its a damn shame! How fuckkked up and biased our judicial system is.

1 Like

Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by Nobody: 3:34am On Jul 14, 2013
Roland17: What irks me most is that the Prosecution/ state of Florida is not even talking about appealing the case.
In US jurisprudence, the prosecution is barred from appealing judgements in criminal cases.

1 Like

Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by Nobody: 3:34am On Jul 14, 2013
birdman: Umm, lets not even go there. I dont see the comparison at all. I know people want to circle around the facts here because its painful, but its either we acknowledge the race issue here or wait until the dude being kieeled is your brother, or mother etc. RIP Trayvon, another victim of a racist Florida judicial system

Anthony was as guilty as Zimmerman. The two of them got off for what? I hate law in general. No one can pay me enough money to be a defense lawyer. Circumstantial evidence my foot.

2 Likes

Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by Nobody: 3:35am On Jul 14, 2013
George for real jail is actually a safer place for your punk light skin asss. It's nice knowing you Florida

2 Likes

Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by Nobody: 3:36am On Jul 14, 2013
Roland17: This is a very big shame, i am very disappointed with the ruling, the prosecution team did a very bad job especially with the witnesses, they did little or nothing to convince the Jury.

George Zimmerman killed the kid.. the 911 responder clearly told him to back off from the kid but he went ahead..

Its just a big shame, a jury consisting of 6 women

6 women in conservative Sanford, most of which being pro-guns.
Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by Nobody: 3:37am On Jul 14, 2013
birdman:

As soon as I saw the jury, I knew what the verdict was and why. They had that shamed, stressed look where they cant make eye contact. I had no idea Florida was swimming with bigots.
The jury comprised of 5 white women and 1 Black/Hispanic lady. They are all mothers.
Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by FRDChickenisha: 3:38am On Jul 14, 2013
What do the defense team mean by "he had 4 mins to get away"?

He had every right to be there. He was defending himself.......who knew how far Zim would have followed him.
Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by Roland17(m): 3:39am On Jul 14, 2013
I remind young African American/ black teens resident in the states that IF YOU MAKE YOURSELF AVAILABLE THEY WOULD WOULD NOT HESITATE TO PREY"

1 Like

Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by Roland17(m): 3:39am On Jul 14, 2013
CFCfan:
The jury comprised of 5 white women and 1 Black/Hispanic lady. They are all mothers.

Does that in any way justify the verdict?

2 Likes

Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by Nobody: 3:40am On Jul 14, 2013
And thinking about Troy Davis who was executed without enough evidence....

8 Likes

Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by birdman(m): 3:40am On Jul 14, 2013
ogugua88:

Casey was as guilty as Zimmerman. The two of them got off for what? I hate law in general. No one can pay me enough money to be a defense lawyer. Circumstantial evidence my foot.

Yup she was guilty. I just dont think these two are same thing. Florida has been plotting this stand-your-ground thing for a while and there are serious racial overotnes that cannot be ignored. Every black person that has tries to claim stand-your-ground has gone to jail. Even the black woman in Florida trying to stop a man from molesting her. Adding Casey Anthony to the mix distracts from the issue here, imo.

Im not trying to detract from the thread with arguments, so ima let it be. This is some f'd up ish. I cant even imagine how the mom must feel. sad

1 Like

Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by Nobody: 3:41am On Jul 14, 2013
I love this country but at this point I've gotta say FUCCK America..

And hey fucck Obama

I'm out

3 Likes

Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by Roland17(m): 3:41am On Jul 14, 2013
Anyone who has followed this case, should know the prosecution made a very bad case.
Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by Nobody: 3:42am On Jul 14, 2013
ogugua88:

Anthony was as guilty as Zimmerman. The two of them got off for what? I hate law in general. No one can pay me enough money to be a defense lawyer. Circumstantial evidence my foot.

Yeah, the law can be an asss sometimes undecided
Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by FRDChickenisha: 3:42am On Jul 14, 2013
Roland17: Anyone who has followed this case, should know the prosecution made a very bad case.

Awful case. It pained me to watch it last night
Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by Nobody: 3:43am On Jul 14, 2013
birdman: Yup she was guilty. I just dont think these two are same thing. Florida has been plotting this stand-your-ground thing for a while and there are serious racial overotnes that cannot be ignored. Every black person that has tries to claim stand-your-ground has gone to jail. Even the black woman in Florida trying to stop a man from molesting her. Adding Casey Anthony to the mix distracts from the issue here, imo.

Im not trying to detract from the thread with arguments, so ima let it be. This is some f'd up ish. I cant even imagine how the mom must feel. sad

I get your point. It reminds me of the case is all.

I don't wanna know how she feels. The anger is everywhere and will be everywhere. I had hope when the jury was questioning manslaughter to be honest. Didn't know 6 ewus with hair made up the jury.

3 Likes

Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by Nobody: 3:44am On Jul 14, 2013
Roland17: Anyone who has followed this case, should know the prosecution made a very bad case.

It would have helped if their star witness was coherent... and didn't have an attitude problem... oh, and spoke English too.

1 Like

Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by Roland17(m): 3:45am On Jul 14, 2013
ogugua88:

It would have helped if their star witness was coherent... and didn't have an attitude problem... oh, and spoke English too.

And how about the silly Doctor?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

Facebook, Instagram Extend Donald Trump's Ban Indefinitely / Ukraine: Israel PM Meets Putin In Moscow For Ukraine Talks / Troops Enter The Gambia To Secure Barrow’s Return

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.