Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,800 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:03 PM

Smf Or Phpbb? Which Is Better? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Smf Or Phpbb? Which Is Better? (1625 Views)

How Can I Embed Google Ads In My Smf Forum / Help. How Do I Add My Site's Banner To My Phpbb Forum Page? / Smf Vs Vbulletin Vs Phpbb (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Smf Or Phpbb? Which Is Better? by aphoe(m): 5:49pm On May 21, 2008
Which do u think is better? in terms of support, easy of understanding, functionality, etc

please give reason(s) where necessary
Re: Smf Or Phpbb? Which Is Better? by uspry1(f): 12:53am On May 22, 2008
SMF and PHPBB have same equality of understanding how to use it easily, functionality, forum support, and very popular in the USA and around the world.

Both are PHP-based you need to know how to modify, add, upload files/theme/add-on modules upon your own taste of forum yourself basically.

I have read both SMF and PHPBB community forum seeing how many out there are FIRST-TIMERS are frustrated understanding to set up, manage, modify, add, their own forum without their knowledge of PHP/HTML they often seek for help using forum community forum.

Some do hire PHP programmer to do the job for them.

But THE FIRST-TIMERS are gratefully that both SMF and PHPBB has its experimential forum for testing to see how they like the looks before doing the real FORUM in order to avoid mess up REAL FORUM losing all data.

Finally, I myself did not install or obtain forum but help out other who are not familiarized with PHP/MySQL/HTML to modify their forum they want.

Good luck for those who want to try out either SMF or PHPBB uploading their web hosting server with their own domain name.
Re: Smf Or Phpbb? Which Is Better? by sbucareer(f): 8:00pm On May 22, 2008

Java enthusiast may have a try with javabb

@uspry1
Ask the nairaland owner for an evaluation of SMF platform and compare it with others. I think BB (Black Board) should be used by an enthusiast of the language the platform it written with. Remember all BB are customisable

And there is always new versions of BB throughout the year and it should be easy to integrate a newly version into existing platform. These should be your evaluation strategy for choosing BB. Example:

1. Easy database integration (MYSQL, ORACLE, HSQLDB, POSTGRESQL, etc)
2. Themes
3. Layout (Navigational Storyboard)
4. Installation
5. Programming Language (The language you know)
6. Hosting companies and their charges for various language support
7. Help from the BB Company
8. The forum and how easy to get a straight answer from their forum
9. Security of their BB
10. Failsafe

These are in my opinion the things you should look out b4 deploying a BB solution
Re: Smf Or Phpbb? Which Is Better? by akinalabi(m): 8:52am On May 27, 2008
I use SMF and it's so easy to use. I've never tried any
other but SMF suits me fine.
Re: Smf Or Phpbb? Which Is Better? by freelance(m): 3:40pm On Jun 10, 2008
How do u add google adsense to SMF.

Thanks
Re: Smf Or Phpbb? Which Is Better? by ztyle(m): 7:30pm On Jun 10, 2008
SMF is more flexible than phpbb.
Re: Smf Or Phpbb? Which Is Better? by aphoe(m): 5:00pm On Jun 20, 2008
i have used both, i think i prefer SMF for now
Re: Smf Or Phpbb? Which Is Better? by josyisback(m): 1:45pm On Jun 21, 2008
i think mybb is the best
Re: Smf Or Phpbb? Which Is Better? by SamMilla1(m): 4:37pm On Jun 21, 2008
Well i think this is a case of one mans meat cliche.
I love SMF like nothing else.
Reason : I can almost do anything with it.
I tried PhpBB for a short time ,
its great but i didnt use it enough to compare it with SMF.

@FREELANCE ABOVE.

I will help u on the adsense stuff for free.
It my pressure to help people laugh.

(1) (Reply)

Criticize The Nairaland Website / Nigeria Websites Award / How Google, PayPal, Microsoft, Ebay Pakistan Were Hacked/compromised

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.