Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,361 members, 7,808,256 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:27 AM

I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (517048 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (66) (Go Down)

I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 1:31pm On Jul 15, 2013
Greetings! I am a U.S. Foreign Service Officer working in a Consular section in western Africa. I primarily handle Immigrant Visas and Diversity Visas. I've noticed a significant amount of discussion about visas on this website (yes, we read the websites smiley) and wanted to give people the opportunity to ask questions. I will check this site daily and make every effort to respond for the next two weeks, through Friday, July 26. [Edit: Let's make that August 8.] [Another edit: Okay, September 30!] [Well... until someone tells me to stop.]

Please note that I cannot answer questions about specific cases, nor may I reveal my identity or any personal information. Any responses in this forum are not to be taken as legally binding, as they will be based only on what you tell me in your questions, not on the information in any actual case. While I will attempt to explain U.S. immigration policies, any opinions expressed are my own views and do not necessarily reflect the views of the United States Government.

I may not be able to respond to every post in this thread, and I will not answer abusive or insulting posts. Let's see how the conversation develops...

28 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by alarinka(m): 1:44pm On Jul 15, 2013
........ i have a cousin who went to the embassy with his wife and denied that she was pregnant, when she was asked by the V.O... she had her baby in the US(ALL BILLS FULLY PAID!!) and both husband and wife were subsequently denied renewal... what she did was wrong, but she said she was overwhelmed by the torrents of visa refussal on that first day.
They are both extremely remorseful for not been truthful on that day... but the husband has been denied visa renewal more than two times..... he has a number of important conferences and highly important research activities in the states and the VO keeps mentioninh "lost credibility"
please is there any hope at all, or opportunities to mitigate this unfortunate circumstances??
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:37am On Jul 25, 2013
Greetings all,

FIrst let me say THANK YOU to Nairaland for letting me open this thread! This is something I've wanted to do for a long time. Let's set August 8 as the tentative closing date (I have to work during the day, and this thread may become too time-consuming to keep up forever).

Alarinka, you asked about the visa denial due to giving birth in the United States and not being completely honest with the Consular officer. That's a non-immigrant visa question and I deal primarily with immigrant visas. Still, it highlights a very important issue: The truth is ALWAYS best. If someone has done something improper, and tells me about it openly, I *may* be able to find a way to issue a visa anyway, if what was done in the past isn't really relevant to the case I'm looking at now. If someone is dishonest to me under oath, that makes everything so much worse. If your cousin applies again, he (and/or his wife) should bring proof that they paid the medical bills in full. Having a baby in the United States is absolutely not a problem for us (assuming all bills are paid), but not being honest... that makes things go badly.

Have a great day, everyone!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:46am On Jul 25, 2013
I would also like to take this opportunity to say:

Diversity Visa applicants, please do not enter into fraudulent marriages in an attempt to bring another person to the United States. You will end up with a charge of "attempted alien smuggling" on your record, and that will permanently bar you from entering the United States. The fake spouse in the case will end up with a charge of "material misrepresentation" and will also be permanently banned. Using a fake name won't help, because your fingerprints and photo will be on file, forever. It's not worth it.

Most of our applicants are honest, wonderful people who successfully obtain visas. Most applicants leave our building with big smiles and happy hearts. So if you know someone who is considering trying to sneak a fake spouse past us, please tell that person that it's not worth the risk.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by ManTiger(m): 8:54am On Jul 25, 2013
VisaOfficer: I would also like to take this opportunity to say:

Diversity Visa applicants, please do not enter into fraudulent marriages in an attempt to bring another person to the United States. You will end up with a charge of "attempted alien smuggling" on your record, and that will permanently bar you from entering the United States. The fake spouse in the case will end up with a charge of "material misrepresentation" and will also be permanently banned. Using a fake name won't help, because your fingerprints and photo will be on file, forever. It's not worth it.

Most of our applicants are honest, wonderful people who successfully obtain visas. Most applicants leave our building with big smiles and happy hearts. So if you know someone who is considering trying to sneak a fake spouse past us, please tell that person that it's not worth the risk.
+ 10000000000000 Likes!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Nobody: 9:32am On Jul 25, 2013
Subscribing. . .
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by good188(m): 9:50am On Jul 25, 2013
This is good thread ,i want to know all the process to enter united state
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Godson201333(m): 9:56am On Jul 25, 2013
good188: This is good thread ,i want to know all the process to enter united state

Pleas read from the beginning,The OP said he is gonna answer only IMMIGRANT QUESTIONS

3 Likes

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Godson201333(m): 9:56am On Jul 25, 2013

You have said it all,More grease to your elbow grin
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by nairacountry(m): 10:10am On Jul 25, 2013

You r such a darling. despite your tight schedule, you still find time to help fellow forumites. I say, may God focus His attention on yu broda. welldone
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by ehosoros(m): 1:30pm On Jul 25, 2013
Thanks mr visaofficer for this thread, i dont understand what u mean by immigration visa, but my question is about the 2015 U S visa lottery, cos that of 2014 seem to av closed but when will 2015's own open thank you.

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 1:31pm On Jul 25, 2013
Mr knowitall.:
Which visa is the fastest visa to get out of Nigeria? I mean from application to approval...

Aren't you the guy who asked how to take your three wives to the U.S.? Serious questions only, please.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Jymes: 1:37pm On Jul 25, 2013
We are a family of three(3)and we have have been planning on relocating to the USA,seeking permanent residence there. What are chances of being granted a residency visa. And what are the vital requirements? Thanks.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 1:41pm On Jul 25, 2013
ehosoros: Thanks mr visaofficer for this thread, i dont understand what u mean by immigration visa, but my question is about the 2015 U S visa lottery, cos that of 2014 seem to av closed but when will 2015's own open thank you.

Dates for the 2015 Diversity Visa Lottery have not yet been announced. The registration period will be from the beginning of October 2013 to the beginning of November 2013, but we don't know the exact dates yet. The best place to check for information is always http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1322.html -- the official U.S. Department of State website.

I know that there has been a lot of discussion elsewhere on this site about the comprehensive immigration reform bill and its potential effect on the Diversity Visa Lottery. The bill has not yet passed; at the moment, no one knows what its final form will be, or when or if it will pass. I'll keep you posted as information becomes available.

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by justwise(m): 1:43pm On Jul 25, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Aren't you the guy who asked how to take your three wives to the U.S.? Serious questions only, please.

Please ignore jokers and i will be hiding posts from such individuals

6 Likes

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 1:45pm On Jul 25, 2013
Jymes: We are a family of three(3)and we have have been planning on relocating to the USA,seeking permanent residence there. What are chances of being granted a residency visa. And what are the vital requirements? Thanks.

In general, to be eligible to apply for an immigrant visa, a foreign citizen must be sponsored by a U.S. citizen relative(s), U.S. lawful permanent resident, or by a prospective employer, and be the beneficiary of an approved petition filed with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). If you fit one of these categories, your chances are very good! You can find more information at http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1326.html.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Vicjustice: 2:09pm On Jul 25, 2013
good188: This is good thread ,i want to know all the process to enter united state
Please, let no one abuse this generosity with this sort of question (such as), "what are the process..." or "what are the required documents...".
This is obviously not the reason that this thread was started

3 Likes

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by nkkystel(f): 2:12pm On Jul 25, 2013
My fiance won the 2013 DV Lottery and he is presently in the States. We didn't want to take the risk of rushing into marriage so as not to loss out totally.
How soon can I join him after our marriage (months, years) once a petition is being filed.
Thank you.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 2:21pm On Jul 25, 2013
nkkystel: My fiance won the 2013 DV Lottery and he is presently in the States. We didn't want to take the risk of rushing into marriage so as not to loss out totally.
How soon can I join him after our marriage (months, years) once a petition is being filed.
Thank you.

Congratulations to your fiance! Well, it all depends on when he files for you and what type of petition he files. While he's a Legal Permanent Resident, he can only file for a spouse, not a fiancee, so you would have to get married first. If he waits until he has U.S. citizenship, he can file for you as a fiancee or he can marry you and file for you as his spouse. At that point it all depends what the priority date of your visa is and where you are in the queue. You can get a sense of that at http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html . Good luck to you and I hope to interview you soon! smiley

3 Likes

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by nkkystel(f): 3:54pm On Jul 25, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Congratulations to your fiance! Well, it all depends on when he files for you and what type of petition he files. While he's a Legal Permanent Resident, he can only file for a spouse, not a fiancee, so you would have to get married first. If he waits until he has U.S. citizenship, he can file for you as a fiancee or he can marry you and file for you as his spouse. At that point it all depends what the priority date of your visa is and where you are in the queue. You can get a sense of that at http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html . Good luck to you and I hope to interview you soon! smiley
Thank you VisaOfficer, yes my question was based on marriage (spouse) and having looked at the Visa Bulletin, does a spouse of a Permanent Resident belong to the category below:
A. (F2A) Spouses and Children of Permanent Residents: 77% of the overall second preference limitation, of which 75% are exempt from the per-country limit.

I stand to be corrected.
Thank you.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by dugochi: 3:58pm On Jul 25, 2013
Please how long does it take to mature for someone who is a US citizen to file an immigrant visa for his or her sibling?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 4:06pm On Jul 25, 2013
nkkystel:
Thank you VisaOfficer, yes my question was based on marriage (spouse) and having looked at the Visa Bulletin, does a spouse of a Permanent Resident belong to the category below:
A. (F2A) Spouses and Children of Permanent Residents: 77% of the overall second preference limitation, of which 75% are exempt from the per-country limit.

I stand to be corrected.
Thank you.

You are right! Priority dates do shift based on how many people are in the queue. For instance, this month F2A petitions filed on or before 08 October 2011 are current. (If a Permanent Resident files a petition for his spouse and becomes a U.S. citizen before the case is current, the case transforms into an IR-1, and bam, it's automatically current.)

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 4:08pm On Jul 25, 2013
dugochi: Please how long does it take to mature for someone who is a US citizen to file an immigrant visa for his or her sibling?

Looking at this month's Visa Bulletin at http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_5993.html : For this part of the world, sibling petitions filed on or before May 22, 2001, are current. So at this moment, it's around 12 years.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by nkkystel(f): 4:38pm On Jul 25, 2013
VisaOfficer:

You are right! Priority dates do shift based on how many people are in the queue. For instance, this month F2A petitions filed on or before 08 October 2011 are current. (If a Permanent Resident files a petition for his spouse and becomes a U.S. citizen before the case is current, the case transforms into an IR-1, and bam, it's automatically current.)
Thank you for your reply. Also, looking at the August Visa Bulletin, everyone in this category seems to be current.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 4:56pm On Jul 25, 2013
nkkystel:
Thank you for your reply. Also, looking at the August Visa Bulletin, everyone in this category seems to be current.

That would be good news for a lot of people! Let's hope it stays that way! cheesy
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by ehosoros(m): 4:59pm On Jul 25, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Dates for the 2015 Diversity Visa Lottery have not yet been announced. The registration period will be from the beginning of October 2013 to the beginning of November 2013, but we don't know the exact dates yet. The best place to check for information is always http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1322.html -- the official U.S. Department of State website.

I know that there has been a lot of discussion elsewhere on this site about the comprehensive immigration reform bill and its potential effect on the Diversity Visa Lottery. The bill has not yet passed; at the moment, no one knows what its final form will be, or when or if it will pass. I'll keep you posted as information becomes available.
thank u so much pls dont forget to keep me posted as promised. thanks

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by janut: 5:26pm On Jul 25, 2013
Its heartwarming to know that u guys really care about those who genuinely wants to come to ur country. Thanks for taking out ur time to inform us.
Please kindly assist on this issue as regards my chances of obtaining a visa-
I am one of the winners of DV 2014 lottery along with my spouse. In my original application there was an error in my year of birth although the day and month are correct just the year. I have contacted kcc on the issue and I was told to fill in the correct year while submitting my forms as they cannot make any changes to the application.
Also I wish to state that all my documents has my actual date of birth.
Once again I wish to know if this error would affect my chances.
Warm regards.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by stony247: 9:12pm On Jul 25, 2013
Great job you're doing here @Visaofficer.My dad applied for an F2A visa for me.Unfortunately,he died before I received two letters from the National Visa Center in Portsmouth,NH.Please,can any other person fill the Affidavit of sponsorship form for me?If no then I'll stop the visa process because I don't want to tell lies.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (66)

USA Visit Visa Part 4 / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Thread for South Korea prospective students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.