Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,149 members, 7,807,489 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:08 PM

I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. - Travel (61) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (517028 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) ... (66) (Go Down)

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by mikemillz(m): 7:31am On Nov 10, 2013
Hello House,
Please dont be angry as i ask this question for this is the first time i am doing this. I just got an admission into a college in Tulsa Okla, US and my visa appointment is scheduled for Jan 2 2014. My questions are....

* What are the vital documents i need to go with, is it photocopies or original copies
* What kind of questions will they ask me and how many mins or hrs does the interview last

I know my reasons of asking this questions cox i need to make amendments to some valid documents of mine if they need the original copies.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by justwise(m): 8:18am On Nov 10, 2013
mikemillz: Hello House,
Please dont be angry as i ask this question for this is the first time i am doing this. I just got an admission into a college in Tulsa Okla, US and my visa appointment is scheduled for Jan 2 2014. My questions are....

* What are the vital documents i need to go with, is it photocopies or original copies
* What kind of questions will they ask me and how many mins or hrs does the interview last

I know my reasons of asking this questions cox i need to make amendments to some valid documents of mine if they need the original copies.

https://www.nairaland.com/1482362/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries-part5

Ask this question there ^^^

2 Likes

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by domdolly2050(f): 8:57pm On Nov 10, 2013
Hi VO,I attended US visa interview on 13th oct for non immigrant visa with my husband and son,though we are not bluntly refused but was given a form that indicate that our application will be going through additional administrative processes,we checked our visa status on 23rd oct and discovered our case was visited that day but since then nothing happen.Pls I want to ask the type of verification they are doing since some of our document are with us and if there is still hope of getting the visa.Thanks
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by olufile: 8:36am On Nov 11, 2013
[quote author=olufile]Good day,VisaOfficer.
Welldone for the good job you are doing here.
Pls.my Cousin is one of the lucky winner of 2014 Dv lottery.but he has not send his detail to KCC,because he just confirmed hope it will not have any effect on his chance.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by temmytujay: 9:18am On Nov 11, 2013
Good day sir,

Please i would love to make some inquiries here and your urgent reply will be very much appreciated.
I have a lady that we have been friends for over 1 yr now and she want to come to Nigeria, She got her passport last 2 weeks and she has gone to to the vaccination for yellow fever.

But there are 2 things i need to know;

1: She is to attach to the Invitation letter her statement of account so id like to know how much can she have in her bank account.

2: Like how much can i also have in my bank account.

Thanks
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Nikki27: 4:05pm On Nov 11, 2013
Dear CO,

I am one of the lucky winners of DV2014, my husband has a child from his first marrige but now divorced and I am legally married to him. The child is listed as one of the beneficiaries on my 2NL but now the child's mother refuse to let go of the boy that she wants to raise her son by herself. My husband & the family has permitted her to have the boy with her.

My question now is, can I write the embassy or call that one of the beneficiaries will not be available on the interview day (interview in Dec). Please I hope this can not affect my chances of getting the visa.

Thanking you in anticipation of your quick response.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by nonso213(m): 6:03pm On Nov 11, 2013
Hello V O, pls when is appropriate for one to get his bank statement from his bank when he is going for non immigrant interview and do d person need to call US Embassy for confirmation since he booked d interview online. Pls reply
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by kessyur: 8:26pm On Nov 11, 2013
Hello VO, please your candid opinion on my concern will be highly appreciated.

I was denied the student visa in July 2012. I feel greatly that the reason cos i did told the VO thati have a sister in the states who is a citizen as filled on my ds160. Hence i had no choice than to say yes when he asked.

Again, i have another interview on Dec 6th, 2013. This time around i completed a new ds160 indicating that i have no relative in the US. And if asked, i intend answering that i used to have i has since left for Nigeria in Dec 2012 to a pick up an appointment.

please what is your stakes on this?

thanks for the upcoming responses.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by AnthonyLofty(m): 9:33pm On Nov 11, 2013
Please my wife gave birth today and our interview is 1st wk of December what do we do?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 12:24pm On Nov 12, 2013
Ijenze: What di I do,lagos embassy has just refused to offer my adopted daughter an immigrant visa because they think my relationship with her is not bona fide>This a child that we have fostered since she was born from an orphange.We finally finished her adoption in the court last year.

Adoption cases are very complicated. In order for a child to receive an immigrant visa as an adopted child (IR3), the adoption must be full and final under Nigerian law, and the child must meet the definition of an "orphan" under U.S. immigration law. Unfortunately, we see many cases in which the adoption is not legal under Nigerian law. If steps can be taken to make a legal adoption, we advise the petitioner as to what to do. If, however, the child is simply not eligible for the visa, we return the case to USCIS with a memo outlining the findings.

There are also cases in which a petitioner wants to bring an adopted child over on an IR2 visa. The requirements are slightly different for IR2s but, again, the adoption must be full and final under Nigerian law, and the child must meet the definition of an "orphan" under U.S. immigration law.

The best course of action is to send an e-mail to LagosIV@state.gov asking what your next steps are. If you came to see us in person last week, though, the officer should have explained things to you in person.

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 12:26pm On Nov 12, 2013
ikaboy: hello VO, i was denied F1 visa last year. i suspect it was cos of the fact that i have a sister domiciled in the US. i have another appointment, and have denied the fact in my ds160 form and will do same physically if the VO ask. Please any implication?

Please visa officer, your candid counsel will be appreciated.

My candid counsel will always be to tell the truth. If you deny the fact in your DS-160 and in your interview, we will catch the lie because we have access to your record from last year. Then your omission will become part of your record, making it very hard for you to appear credible in the future.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 12:28pm On Nov 12, 2013
phatdon4u: hi visa officer! great job for ur contributions thus far. pls i need ur advise. my fiancee was also selected and granted visa. as u know that i will love to join her as soon as possible. pls any information or advise that will make dis possible. awaiting ur response plssssss.
we are not yet married but hoping to do dat soonest. i intend apply for the visa months later backed with an invitation letter from her.

Well, you will not be eligible for a B1/B2 non-immigrant visa, as obviously you are an intending immigrant. Your fiancee cannot file a fiance petition for you unless she is an American citizen. If she is still a Legal Permanent Resident, she can marry you and file an I-130 petition for alien spouse through USCIS, by following the instructions at www.uscis.gov .
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 12:29pm On Nov 12, 2013
K-shock:

Also, is it worth trying again before school resumes?
Thanks VO

My friend, I cannot in good conscience advise you to apply again this year. You have at least three refusals since June, and the first one is because you chose to submit fraudulent documents. The consequence of submitting fraudulent documents is that you have lost your credibility with us. My best advice is to wait a few years, and show us tht you have established yourself as a credible applicant.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 12:31pm On Nov 12, 2013
Ddy: please i need an urgent answer. my sister is
an american citizen and she wants to invite
me for a visit. Please can u advise me on
how to go about it cos am scared of being
denied visa. can u help me with possible
procedures or approach i will follow to get
visiting visa. Am a gradute Of computer science & self employed here. Tnx

Good luck to you! You will need to convince the interviewing officer that you can afford the trip and that you are not planning to use the non-immigrant visa as a quick way to immigrate to the United States. Other than that, just tell the truth and hope for the best.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 12:31pm On Nov 12, 2013
mikemillz: Hello House,

I concur with justwise: Please see https://www.nairaland.com/1482362/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries-part5

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 12:33pm On Nov 12, 2013
domdolly2050: Hi VO,I attended US visa interview on 13th oct for non immigrant visa with my husband and son,though we are not bluntly refused but was given a form that indicate that our application will be going through additional administrative processes,we checked our visa status on 23rd oct and discovered our case was visited that day but since then nothing happen.Pls I want to ask the type of verification they are doing since some of our document are with us and if there is still hope of getting the visa.Thanks

Greetings! Most cases of administrative processing end up being issued. I can't tell you what type of verification is being done without having been involved in your case, but we strive to complete all administrative processing as quickly as possible.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 12:34pm On Nov 12, 2013
olufile: Good day,VisaOfficer.
Welldone for the good job you are doing here.
Pls.my Cousin is one of the lucky winner of 2014 Dv lottery.but he has not send his detail to KCC,because he just confirmed hope it will not have any effect on his chance.

From our point of view, that's fine. We don't ask when people sent their details. smiley
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 12:35pm On Nov 12, 2013
temmytujay: Good day sir,

Please i would love to make some inquiries here and your urgent reply will be very much appreciated.
I have a lady that we have been friends for over 1 yr now and she want to come to Nigeria, She got her passport last 2 weeks and she has gone to to the vaccination for yellow fever.

But there are 2 things i need to know;

1: She is to attach to the Invitation letter her statement of account so id like to know how much can she have in her bank account.

2: Like how much can i also have in my bank account.

Thanks

I'm not sure I understand. Is she an American planning to visit Nigeria? If so, these questions could better be answered by the Embassy of Nigeria in the U.S.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 12:36pm On Nov 12, 2013
Nikki27: Dear CO,

I am one of the lucky winners of DV2014, my husband has a child from his first marrige but now divorced and I am legally married to him. The child is listed as one of the beneficiaries on my 2NL but now the child's mother refuse to let go of the boy that she wants to raise her son by herself. My husband & the family has permitted her to have the boy with her.

My question now is, can I write the embassy or call that one of the beneficiaries will not be available on the interview day (interview in Dec). Please I hope this can not affect my chances of getting the visa.

Thanking you in anticipation of your quick response.

Greetings! We understand that sometimes children (and even spouses) will not travel with the DV winner. That's okay. They do all need to be listed on the original entry, however. But it won't be any problem from a visa point of view if the child does not come to the interview with you. Just explain to the officer when you get here. Good luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 12:37pm On Nov 12, 2013
nonso213: Hello V O, pls when is appropriate for one to get his bank statement from his bank when he is going for non immigrant interview and do d person need to call US Embassy for confirmation since he booked d interview online. Pls reply

You can get the bank statement at any time, although we want to see one that is recent, not years old. No, you do not need to call us for confirmation. Good luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 12:39pm On Nov 12, 2013
kessyur: Hello VO, please your candid opinion on my concern will be highly appreciated.

I was denied the student visa in July 2012. I feel greatly that the reason cos i did told the VO thati have a sister in the states who is a citizen as filled on my ds160. Hence i had no choice than to say yes when he asked.

Again, i have another interview on Dec 6th, 2013. This time around i completed a new ds160 indicating that i have no relative in the US. And if asked, i intend answering that i used to have i has since left for Nigeria in Dec 2012 to a pick up an appointment.

please what is your stakes on this?

thanks for the upcoming responses.

You should only tell us that if it is true. We have access to records showing when people travel in and out of the U.S. and what their addresses in the U.S. are, so lying to us is a very, very bad idea because we can and do double-check. Sorry to sound grumpy, but it seems the number of people asking me for permission to misrepresent the truth is spiking for some reason. angry angry angry NOT TELLING THE TRUTH TO A CONSULAR OFFICER IS AN INCREDIBLY BAD IDEA and can permanently jeopardize your chances of ever entering the United States.

3 Likes

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 12:41pm On Nov 12, 2013
Anthony Lofty: Please my wife gave birth today and our interview is 1st wk of December what do we do?

Congratulations! I'm assuming this is a Diversity Visa case? If so, the baby will need a passport, photos, DS-230, medical report, and birth certificate. The important thing is not to miss your appointment, as we may not be able to reschedule you. If your wife is not ready to travel, PLEASE let us know right away so we can do our best to accomodate the rescheduling.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by elbasaniiii: 4:15pm On Nov 12, 2013
Dear Consular Officer,

First thank you for the time you taking to help and answer everyone.

I recently received a B1/B2 visa (I know you work on immigrant visas but maybe you can help), and I checked with my other family members' visas and some of them have under the picture one little star some have two little stars and also above the red numbers there is on some 1000 and some have 0010.

What are the significations of those symbols?

Best to you,
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by adelegan1: 5:18pm On Nov 12, 2013
I have been going through this thread and i must say thank you.Can my wife petition for my spousal visa without having her name change. Please your urgent reply will be appreciated.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by kessyur: 6:12pm On Nov 12, 2013
Thanks VO

VisaOfficer:

You should only tell us that if it is true. We have access to records showing when people travel in and out of the U.S. and what their addresses in the U.S. are, so lying to us is a very, very bad idea because we can and do double-check. Sorry to sound grumpy, but it seems the number of people asking me for permission to misrepresent the truth is spiking for some reason. angry angry angry NOT TELLING THE TRUTH TO A CONSULAR OFFICER IS AN INCREDIBLY BAD IDEA and can permanently jeopardize your chances of ever entering the United States.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Nikki27: 6:23pm On Nov 12, 2013
[quote author=VisaOfficer]

Greetings! We understand that sometimes children (and even spouses) will not travel with the DV winner. That's okay. They do all need to be listed on the original entry, however. But it won't be any problem from a visa point of view if the child does not come to the interview with you. Just explain to the officer when you get here. Good luck![/quote

Many thanks.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by phatdon4u: 7:08pm On Nov 12, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Well, you will not be eligible for a B1/B2 non-immigrant visa, as obviously you are an intending immigrant. Your fiancee cannot file a fiance petition for you unless she is an American citizen. If she is still a Legal Permanent Resident, she can marry you and file an I-130 petition for alien spouse through USCIS, by following the instructions at www.uscis.gov .

many thanks... really appreciate
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by phatdon4u: 7:09pm On Nov 12, 2013
[quote author=VisaOfficer]

Well, you will not be eligible for a B1/B2 non-immigrant visa, as obviously you are an intending immigrant. Your fiancee cannot file a fiance petition for you unless she is an American citizen. If she is still a Legal Permanent Resident, she can marry you and file an I-130 petition for alien spouse through USCIS, by following the instructions at www.uscis.gov .[/quote

many thanks. really appreciate
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by beenthere84: 9:43pm On Nov 12, 2013
Greeting VO. Firstly i want to say thank you for your wonderful contributions to this forum.

Sir/Ma.... here is my story.
Many years ago around 2002/2003 my uncle paid a visa agent to help me get a student visa to the US but what the agent gave us was an I-20 with a completely different name to mine, initially we protested but because we have paid him some money in advance and he wasn't going to refund us, to cut the story short i got a passport on the name and went for the interview and ofcourse i was denied because the waec certificate was also fake, i know its sound like am a really dishonest person but please remember i was a teenager then and it was that time of your life you rely on your brothers and uncles to make decision for you without fully understood the consequences of such action, am almost 31 years old now so as you would have imagine i have since moved on with my life and become a better person with good sound judgement in my decision making.
Fastforward, about 3 years ago my girlfriend back then in college linked up with me through facebook and things has beginning to get serious between us and she has decided to file for me as her fiance..... by the way she is a US citizen by birth.

My question is will that experience affect my chances of getting a K 1 visa with my real identity and secondly when it says on the form, if i have been denied a visa before what should be the appropriate answer bearing in mind my refusal was under a completely different name and a different date of birth.
Sorry for the long story, just wanted you to have the full account of what happened.
Thank you very much in advance.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:51am On Nov 13, 2013
elbasaniiii: Dear Consular Officer,

First thank you for the time you taking to help and answer everyone.

I recently received a B1/B2 visa (I know you work on immigrant visas but maybe you can help), and I checked with my other family members' visas and some of them have under the picture one little star some have two little stars and also above the red numbers there is on some 1000 and some have 0010.

What are the significations of those symbols?

Best to you,

Wow, you have a keen eye! smiley Those are computer-generated features that help make each visa as unique as the people who obtain them. smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) ... (66)

USA Visit Visa Part 4 / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Thread for South Korea prospective students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.