Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,136 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:53 AM

PRESS RELEASE: Chimamanda Adichie Wins American Prize - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / PRESS RELEASE: Chimamanda Adichie Wins American Prize (2393 Views)

Photo: Chimamanda adichie With Her Handsome Husband / Chimamanda Adichie's New Hair Style: Like Or Dislike? / Chimamanda Adichie & Husband Ivara Esege (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

PRESS RELEASE: Chimamanda Adichie Wins American Prize by ChrisOD: 12:15am On Jul 17, 2013
PRESS RELEASE: Chimamanda Adichie Wins American Prize
Posted: July 16, 2013 - 17:37
Chimamanda Adichie

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s third novel AMERICANAH has been awarded the 2013 Chicago Tribune Heartland Prize for fiction.

The Heartland Prize is a literary prize created in 1988 by the Chicago Tribune Newspaper.

According to Elizabeth Taylor, the literary editor of the Chicago Tribune, the prize is awarded yearly in two categories, fiction and
non-fiction, to books that are concerned with American issues, causes and concerns.

“We loved AMERICANAH. It's a powerful, resonant novel and we would be delighted to celebrate it and try to share it with a wider audience,” Taylor wrote.
“I’m very pleased,” Adichie said on receiving news of the prize. “You never know what will happen when you write a novel. And for me, a
Nigerian, to have written this book which is partly about America, and to receive this quintessentially American prize means that I have said something about America as seen through Nigerian eyes that Americans find interesting. I take that as a wonderful compliment. It reminds me
of the ability of literature to make us become briefly alive in bodies not our own.”

Past fiction winners of the Heartland Prize include Jonathan France for his novel FREEDOM and Marilyn ne Robinson for her novel GILEAD

The prize will be awarded on November 3, 2013 at an audience-attended event hosted in partnership with the Chicago Humanities Festival in
Chicago.

http://saharareporters.com/press-release/press-release-chimamanda-adichie-wins-american-prize

Re: PRESS RELEASE: Chimamanda Adichie Wins American Prize by Chylo(m): 1:47am On Jul 17, 2013
Yankara award... for book wey dry like stock fish.

First to comment joor.
Re: PRESS RELEASE: Chimamanda Adichie Wins American Prize by Cutesthunk(m): 2:25am On Jul 17, 2013
this lady neva ceases to amaze me, as in there's so much we can achieve....so much...thanks.....
Re: PRESS RELEASE: Chimamanda Adichie Wins American Prize by Garrithe1st: 2:28am On Jul 17, 2013
She's not married and I'm not married too.
angry angry angry

What stops us from being a "Marriage Couple"?? I swear I'll be a good husband to you my love.

Congrats Dear....

kiss kiss kiss
Re: PRESS RELEASE: Chimamanda Adichie Wins American Prize by Freewilly(f): 2:36am On Jul 17, 2013
My Igbo sis representing.

Front page material mods!!!

1 Like

Re: PRESS RELEASE: Chimamanda Adichie Wins American Prize by Nobody: 2:53am On Jul 17, 2013
Good one. She is a promising chap.
Re: PRESS RELEASE: Chimamanda Adichie Wins American Prize by cejo(m): 2:56am On Jul 17, 2013
@Garri d 1st,pls focus ur mind n dream elsewhere she is married.Google it n find facts 4 urself.
Re: PRESS RELEASE: Chimamanda Adichie Wins American Prize by Nobody: 3:05am On Jul 17, 2013
Cutesthunk: this lady neva ceases to amaze me, as in there's so much we can achieve....so much...thanks.....

Who are we?
Re: PRESS RELEASE: Chimamanda Adichie Wins American Prize by EkoIle1: 3:27am On Jul 17, 2013
Freewilly:

I'll ask you nicely not to derail this wonderful thread. Meet me somewhere else and we can discuss my brothers in SA and Malaysia.If you don't mind please leave the thread.

You have zero morale authority so talk about thread derailment since derailing threads with bigotry and tribalism everyday your favorite pastime.

Please keep quiet..
Re: PRESS RELEASE: Chimamanda Adichie Wins American Prize by Nomski0(f): 3:35am On Jul 17, 2013
Proud to say you'll always be an inspiration to me.......CONGRATS TO YOU.
Re: PRESS RELEASE: Chimamanda Adichie Wins American Prize by Freewilly(f): 4:06am On Jul 17, 2013
Just bought five copies of her wonderful book to give out to friends on their birthdays.

Re: PRESS RELEASE: Chimamanda Adichie Wins American Prize by dlight1(m): 4:26am On Jul 17, 2013
Congrats to her and at with her age many more are to come. Nigeria has got a lot of talents
Re: PRESS RELEASE: Chimamanda Adichie Wins American Prize by Linoversace: 5:45am On Jul 17, 2013
…Always rocking her natural hair or simple braided hair.Yea,i know she's wearing hair extensions or so i thought.Don't you just love her? smiley

#TeamProudlyAfrican!
#TeamNatural!
Re: PRESS RELEASE: Chimamanda Adichie Wins American Prize by Nomski0(f): 5:49am On Jul 17, 2013
Linoversace: …Always rocking her natural hair or simple braided hair.Yea,i know she's wearing hair extensions or so i thought.Don't you just love her? smiley

#TeamProudlyAfrican!
#TeamNatural!
Re: PRESS RELEASE: Chimamanda Adichie Wins American Prize by akpomeme(m): 6:23am On Jul 17, 2013
Garri the 1st: She's not married and I'm not married too.
angry angry angry

What stops us from being a "Marriage Couple"?? I swear I'll be a good husband to you my love.

Congrats Dear....

kiss kiss kiss

Bro she is married. Her husband fine lose hope.
Re: PRESS RELEASE: Chimamanda Adichie Wins American Prize by akpomeme(m): 6:25am On Jul 17, 2013
grin grin grin grin
Eko Ile:

You have zero morale authority so talk about thread derailment since derailing threads with bigotry and tribalism everyday your favorite pastime.

Please keep quiet..
grin grin grin
Re: PRESS RELEASE: Chimamanda Adichie Wins American Prize by Linoversace: 6:33am On Jul 17, 2013
Nomski0: .

Nwanyi mara mma o gini? undecided
Re: PRESS RELEASE: Chimamanda Adichie Wins American Prize by Vansnickers: 6:43am On Jul 17, 2013
Eko Ile:

Please keep quiet..

Don't mind the hypocrite.
Re: PRESS RELEASE: Chimamanda Adichie Wins American Prize by bobthebuilder99(m): 6:56am On Jul 17, 2013
Freewilly: My Igbo sis representing.

Ethnic champions are already here. SMH. grin
Re: PRESS RELEASE: Chimamanda Adichie Wins American Prize by launique: 6:59am On Jul 17, 2013
Garri the 1st: She's not married and I'm not married too.
angry angry angry

Congrats Dear....

kiss kiss kiss

She's a married woman o
Re: PRESS RELEASE: Chimamanda Adichie Wins American Prize by bestview: 7:16am On Jul 17, 2013
Anambrans doing Nigeria and Africa proud world over..

Am sure she took after Achebe- the father of modern African literature. She is gradually stepping into Achebe's giant shoes.
Re: PRESS RELEASE: Chimamanda Adichie Wins American Prize by Tolexander: 7:28am On Jul 17, 2013
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s
third novel AMERICANAH has been
awarded the 2013 Chicago
Tribune Heartland Prize for
fiction
Re: PRESS RELEASE: Chimamanda Adichie Wins American Prize by BarryX(m): 8:31am On Jul 17, 2013
America has a way of using African talents for their own advantage, Gradually, they'll americanise her fully! Because I know for sure that the American publishers cajoled her into writing for them. The influence they have in Hollywood, music etc is not enough.
!chima! Chima! Chima!

How many times do I call you?
Giwa bu thoroughbred nwanyi Ibo

Don't loose your roots for some dollarised neo-colonists

Seeing America from a Nigerian eyes INDEED:
Can't they see it themselves? How many times have they seen ours?
Re: PRESS RELEASE: Chimamanda Adichie Wins American Prize by fr3do(m): 8:34am On Jul 17, 2013
Chimamanda,the newest sensation on nairaland.
Re: PRESS RELEASE: Chimamanda Adichie Wins American Prize by Danhumprey: 8:59am On Jul 17, 2013
The power of the pen! Indeed,the Pen is mightier than the Sword! Good to know that we have talents that can shake the world!
Re: PRESS RELEASE: Chimamanda Adichie Wins American Prize by AbuMikey(m): 9:01am On Jul 17, 2013
Re: PRESS RELEASE: Chimamanda Adichie Wins American Prize by Ishilove: 11:36pm On Jul 18, 2013
Freewilly: My Igbo sis representing.

What has tribe got to do with anything? Arrrrgh, you e-tribalists disgust me!!! angry

1 Like

Re: PRESS RELEASE: Chimamanda Adichie Wins American Prize by slap1(m): 10:13am On Jul 19, 2013
A big congrats to her!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Letter From Abraham Lincoln To His Son's Teacher.. / Night Class (kinda Erotic Short Story) / Nigerian Anime: Don't Rock The Cradle (by #chemstudios)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.