|Join Nairaland / Login / Trending / Recent / New|
Stats: 1231972 members, 1620929 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 September 2014 at 05:44 AM
|2013 Most Corrupt Countries Of The World by ImanuelJannah(m): 11:15am On Jul 17, 2013|
More than half of the world’s population believe corruption in government is a very serious problem, and that corruption has only gotten worse in the past two years.
Anti-corruption body, Transparency International, has released its 2013 Global Corruption Measurement, which surveyed residents in 107 countries across the world. The top nine most corrupt nations of the world differ in many ways. Four are located in Africa, three in South America and two in Asia. Here is the list:
1. LIBERIA: Although, President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf fired the country’s auditor general for corruption. The vast majority of Liberians believe the country was run either largely or entirely by a few entities acting in their own self interests.
2. MONGOLIA: Mongolia had one of the world’s fastest growing economies in 2012, but corruption has become pervasive in the country. 77% of the people consider civil servants in the country to be corrupt.
3. VENEZUELA: In Venezuela, 79% of the population say their nation’s political officials were corrupt, and are among the highest percentages in the world.
4. ZIMBABWE: 77% of the people claim that corruption in Zimbabwe had risen in the past two years, More than three-quarters of residents stated that the government was run largely or entirely by a few entities acting in their own selfish interests.
5. MEXICO: 71% as the country’s citizens have become less tolerant of corruption in the last two years. whereas, 72% of the people stated that the Mexican government has been ineffective in fighting corruption,
6. PARAGUAY: In Paraguay, As many as 88% of the country’s residents say personal contacts were important in getting things done within the public sector.
7. RUSSIA: Like Paraguay, it is important to have personal contacts to get anything done in Russia. The hyper-wealthy individuals of Russian birth often have close political ties, which allow many of their friends and relatives to become wealthy.
8. NIGERIA: In Nigeria, corruption had increased in the past two years. 75% of the population also believe the government was, at best, ineffective at fighting corruption. Nigeria is heavily dependent on the oil industry, yet the government refuses to act on accusations that the oil companies are not telling the truth about the value of the oil resources they extract and the tax they owe by billions of dollars. Certain transparency groups also blamed politicians for encouraging corruption.
9. ZAMBIA: An extremely high 85% of residents claim they had been asked to pay a bribe in the past.
Nigeria, having moved from the 2nd to the 8th most corrupt nation in the world within the last 10 years, would you really agree we are winning the war against corruption?
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2014 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See Nairalist and How To Advertise. 21