Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,380 members, 7,781,065 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:19 AM

How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage (10528 Views)

How Nigerians Behave As Car Owners / How To Spot Damaged And Flood Damage Vehicles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by Immune1(m): 3:28pm On Jul 17, 2013
It’s always very easy and maybe fun filled to throw all the blame on the Nigerian government when it comes to the state of Nigerian roads even when we share part of the blame as well. Most roads are built to last for 25years or slightly more depending on the quality of materials used and the accompanying road attributes like adequate drainage and basic design. It’s a known fact that Nigerian roads are over-utilized, like here in Lagos, according to LAMATA, there are 222 vehicles to every kilometre which is in excess of the national average pinned at 11 vehicles to every kilometre of pliable road .

So with these figures and daunting reality, does it make any sense to put even the slightest blame on Nigerians for the poor state of Nigerian roads? I think we do share part of the blame and here is why:

Overload: The F.R.S.C (federal road safety corps) trucks and policemen on the road never seems to be enough to curb the menace of vehicle overload by motorists. The same Nigerians that complain about bad road conditions are ones that overload their vehicles without a thought of the damaging effects their vehicles will have on the road.

Road managers & Waste disposal vans: Some of the so-called ‘road managers’ responsible for sweeping roads and keeping these surfaces tidy channel dirt and sand to drainage ways; a typical example of the resultant effect of this is the Maryland bridge in Lagos which gets flooded owing to clogged drainage ways. As for the disposal vans that have to navigate tight streets and even major highways, these special trucks destroy road surfaces overtime and even re-distribute transported solid and liquid waste on these road surfaces.

Incessant dumping: however this time by individuals like you and me; the ripple effect of dumping gala wraps and pure water sachets indiscriminately is the subsequent blocking of drainage ways like gutters and canals and when this happens water has nowhere to go but to stay on the asphalt surface.

Avoidable accidents: which can come about as a result over-speeding, poor vehicle maintenance, defiance of road traffic laws and impatience.

Driving on road shoulders: nothing exposes asphalt base and layers more than depletion of road shoulders. Road shoulders are minimally paved to prevent quick degradation of the main asphalt edges and surfaces, not to accommodate vehicle traffic during tight road congestions. Simply put, for every car or truck that plies a road shoulder surface, the main road is endangered.

So when next you want to evade the slightest road congestion, have a quick re-think!
http://autobaseafrica.com/how-nigerians-are-responsible-for-road-damages/

3 Likes

Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by nedu2000(m): 4:02pm On Jul 17, 2013
I disagree,overloading affects the vehicle it carries & not the road, the road is (should be)designed to cater for such excesses,besides relevant bodies should sanction vehicles that are over-loaded instead of collecting bribe. We should also practice closed drainages,d drainages are strictly for rainwater(run-off)waste paper baskets at random points do help

1 Like

Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by ollyruffy: 6:59pm On Jul 17, 2013
With the way things are set up in Nigeria today, bring all the UK residents to leave in nigeria and take Nigerians to the UK, all you listed above will still continue to happen. So, it is still the government to be blamed.

1 Like

Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by Immune1(m): 8:23pm On Jul 17, 2013
nedu2000: I disagree,overloading affects the vehicle it carries & not the road, the road is (should be)designed to cater for such excesses,besides relevant bodies should sanction vehicles that are over-loaded instead of collecting bribe. We should also practice closed drainages,d drainages are strictly for rainwater(run-off)waste paper baskets at random points do help
I'd simply use one example here;in the case of truck overloading,imagine using a 4x2 truck to haul good ought to be transported using a 6x4 truck 2things happens:1)the truck suffers due to poor weight distribution and excess load which exceeds the design limit 2) the weight which ideally should be carried by the suspension is transferred to the tires and the ROAD suffers.This explains some asphalt depths on Lagos-Ibadan express!I hope this helps.

3 Likes

Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by Immune1(m): 8:25pm On Jul 17, 2013
ollyruffy: With the way things are set up in Nigeria today, bring all the UK residents to leave in nigeria and take Nigerians to the UK, all you listed above will still continue to happen. So, it is still the government to be blamed.
Yes,government should be blamed for the level of indiscipline;but who do you blame for your personal indiscipline?

6 Likes

Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by 1bunne4lif(m): 9:06pm On Jul 17, 2013
Ok
Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by Caracta(f): 9:12pm On Jul 17, 2013
I blame Seun and Obasanjo for all the bad roads in Otta! Yes...they are Nigerians.

But y'all can put the blame on me says Akon grin
Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by kokoye(m): 9:14pm On Jul 17, 2013
I'm still blaming the govt for this...sorry

There's something called 'law enforcement' which is usually handled by the govt.

Enforce those necessary laws and people will get used to them after some time - especially when they are beneficial to all.
Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by IAMBREEZY: 9:15pm On Jul 17, 2013
Hmmm
Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by Ninilowo(m): 9:15pm On Jul 17, 2013
[quote author=Caracta]I blame Seun and Obasanjo for all the bad roads in Otta! Yes...they are Nigerians.
Yes. even there is no road to Seun's house.
Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by HoLEEsinner: 9:17pm On Jul 17, 2013
These so called roads aren't well constructed and not up to standard, how do you expect a road that doesn't have well drainage system to last 25yrs? Contractors abroad ll even insure projects,certifying its standard, The government is to be blame, cause if other means of transportation is in place, it ll reduce haulers and commuters on the road and make it last as expected. Government should ensure these roads are standard before commission and if later faulty call on the contractors the contract was awarded to for reconstruction not FERMA. Inshort scrap FERMA. FRSC despite been over paid, they can't stop overloading. Smh.
Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by IAMBREEZY: 9:17pm On Jul 17, 2013
Caracta: I blame Seun and Obasanjo for all the bad roads in Otta! Yes...they are Nigerians.

But y'all can put the blame on me says Akon grin
lol u re a real caracta

1 Like

Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by bbulldog(m): 9:18pm On Jul 17, 2013
Na still government, are we not paying taxes? Or maybe we should blame dangote because of his numerous trailers
Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by Okworigeorge(m): 9:18pm On Jul 17, 2013
HTC desire 4 sale.....15k, okworigeorge@gmail.com
Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by cuteshade(f): 9:18pm On Jul 17, 2013
I blame every road users, maybe we should start using sea cos the sea won't get damaged grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by PStacks(m): 9:18pm On Jul 17, 2013
I think this is one of those waste of time article.. I wished it was possible to see a useless thread and know immediately this thread is foolish and know u shouldn't waste ur time reading it..

I wish some threads could simply just say "Pls don't read me"
This must be one of such threads.
I regret why I spent time reading this rubbish. I didn't learn anything from it.
Its a complete waste of my time and this kind of thread shouldn't make front page.
Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by Nobody: 9:19pm On Jul 17, 2013
Yes it's true!
Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by Nobody: 9:19pm On Jul 17, 2013
Imagine the nonsense. Roads that these politicians have allocated billions of naira to build and maintain and nothing to show for it.... It is now the citizens fault that the roads are bad.
The nerve of these people.

3 Likes

Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by losprince(m): 9:21pm On Jul 17, 2013
Our government don't build the roads well enough to last long. They just build it so it would get spoiled then they would see means of revenue and excuse for their next tenure. *spitts* this governments disgust me!

1 Like

Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jul 17, 2013
If I slap all of you supporting this ehn.. I think if we all got our private jets like the so called leaders.. we should be truly blamed for bad roads.. one thing you should know is one problem is responsible for so many problems. There a problem with the economy, government etc.. Does it mean they don't transport loads in other western continent.. You rule like you're in Nigeria but expect citizens to live like Americans... mptchew
Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by Caracta(f): 9:24pm On Jul 17, 2013
[quote author=Ninilowo][/quote]

Says who? Seun's new SUV alone is enough to damage roads...not to talk of his private jets that refuse to fly but instead ply our beloved Nigerian roads.

Obasanjo's animal farm's waste products can hasten the 'expiration' of our roads. And the list goes on...

*yawns*
I need to sleep sad grin
Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by Linoversace: 9:28pm On Jul 17, 2013
Who i go blame
Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by PStacks(m): 9:28pm On Jul 17, 2013
cute shade: I blame every road users, maybe we should start using sea cos the sea won't get damaged grin grin grin

grin grin grin

Or we should develop wings and start flying because we want to help our govt manage road.

grin grin grin

A govt that doesn't care about me. So I should manage the road for the govt.. Tell me something!!! shocked shocked

If I can pull the asphalt sef and take it to my house I will pull the whole lagos ibadan.. So govt should suffer me and I should suffer myself again because I want to save for govt.. Not even if it was a good govt!
Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by Coldblooded(m): 9:29pm On Jul 17, 2013
Most roads in the SE,SS or SW tend to go bad more than the ones in the North cos of the effect of heavy rainfall in dese regions; so, the roads in dese areas need more care and maintenance which they often don't get.
Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by alphaconde(m): 9:30pm On Jul 17, 2013
We continously spoil the road
Govt continously collect levies and taX
Govt continously sell crude oil
Govt should continously repair the roads
That's all.

1 Like

Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by segzicres(m): 9:32pm On Jul 17, 2013
Loaf affecting roads? Na bro. They're not using the appropirate trucks.
Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by Nobody: 9:44pm On Jul 17, 2013
Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by Godson201333(m): 9:53pm On Jul 17, 2013
winkAbi na inferior Road all these Chhinese dey,So na over load make Lagos-Ibadan express way no smoothh?Blame FG
Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by akorlade(m): 9:54pm On Jul 17, 2013
.. Does it mean they don't transport loads in other western continent..

they do but with the required load limits respected.
Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by druid06(m): 9:58pm On Jul 17, 2013
Who else is going to be responsible for the bad roads in Nigeria? The Americans?

When the Nigerian government would spend a very minute percentage of the funds released to repair and build these roads thereby making substandard roads and you expect those roads to withstand the test of time?
Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by Nobody: 10:00pm On Jul 17, 2013
U are right.
Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by OBAGADAFFI: 10:08pm On Jul 17, 2013
usmsam: Imagine the nonsense. Roads that these politicians have allocated billions of naira to build and maintain and nothing to show for it.... It is now the citizens fault that the roads are bad.
The nerve of these people.

LOVE YOUR RESPONSE AND GIF.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Car Vibrates When Engine Is Idling / Beware Of Fradulent Mechanics / 6 Indications Your Car Needs An Engine Rebuilt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.