Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,331 members, 7,808,107 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:20 AM

"The Good Ship Jesus." A Picture And A Thousand Words - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "The Good Ship Jesus." A Picture And A Thousand Words (12495 Views)

Pope Francis Openly Calls Jesus A Failure / Is Jesus A Prophet For His People Or Messiah For The World? / The First Britsh Slave Ship To Reach The Americas Was Called The Good Jesus! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

"The Good Ship Jesus." A Picture And A Thousand Words by plaetton: 5:23am On Jul 18, 2013
Sir John Hawkins had the dubious distinction of becoming the first slave-ship captain to bring Africans to the Americas. Hawkins was a religious gentleman who insisted that his crew "serve God daily" and "love another".
His ship, ironically called "the good ship Jesus," left the shores of his native England for Africa in October 1562. He arrived at Sierra Leone, and in a short time he had three hundred blacks in his possession. Hawkins claimed to have acquired them "partly by sword and partly by other means.

This picture below and the historical facts being represented here stares at the black man so poignantly against the backdrop of the fragmented realities of black man's life in this modern age.

I personally am so emotionally touched to the point of a mini-epiphany of sorts.
I struggle to figure which among the thousand words that come to my mind best fits this significant first, and the black man's ongoing relationship with The Good Ship Jesus.

So. lets all play a word game to see what words easily come to mind.

Quite clearly that first contact with " The Good Ship Jesus" marked a remarkable turning point in the history of the black race.
The black race is still sailing on that fateful ship called The Good Ship Jesus.
unmindful of history the black man,this time without the influence of the sword, continues to hurl himself headlong into The Good Ship Jesus.

So, Unabated and unabashed, The Good Ship Jesus continues to ferry shiploads of Africans to unknown destinations of no return.

For me, the words and phrases that bombard my mind are:

Metaphor, Irony, Betrayal, Symbolic, Christianity, Chains, Black Man, Captivity. Shipwrecked, Marooned. Disoriented, Falling Horizon. Sea-sickness, drowning. Lost at Sea. Tragedy.

I will endeavour to elaborate and associate each of these words with the black man's present circumstances.

What does the picture and its History speak to you today?

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Good Ship Jesus." A Picture And A Thousand Words by Nobody: 7:05am On Jul 18, 2013
The black man needed encounter with the white man no matter how bad it was at first. Do you know where africa would be today if the white man hadn't come? Just imagine.

3 Likes

Re: "The Good Ship Jesus." A Picture And A Thousand Words by Nobody: 9:12am On Jul 18, 2013
blink182: The black man needed encounter with the white man no matter how bad it was at first. Do you know where africa would be today if the white man hadn't come? Just imagine.

I wonder if you would say the same thing if your father/son was sold into slavery.

Africa was great before white men came. Heard of Egypt and Timbuktu etc?

Yes, they did bring technology but we should have treated them like how the Japanese did

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Good Ship Jesus." A Picture And A Thousand Words by plaetton: 12:41pm On Jul 18, 2013
blink182: The black man needed encounter with the white man no matter how bad it was at first. Do you know where africa would be today if the white man hadn't come? Just imagine.

Nonesense.
The encounter with foriegners, white or not was bound to happen. That is besides the point.
The black man's case was unique.
The traumas of that encounter and our psychological attachment to it, the burden that we still carry, the Stolkholms syndrome and its impact on our realities, that is the issue on this thread.

1 Like

Re: "The Good Ship Jesus." A Picture And A Thousand Words by plaetton: 9:27pm On Jul 18, 2013
Logicboy03:

I wonder if you would say the same thing if your father/son was sold into slavery.

Africa was great before white men came. Heard of Egypt and Timbuktu etc?

Yes, they did bring technology but we should have treated them like how the Japanese did

Yeah. Had we known.
Re: "The Good Ship Jesus." A Picture And A Thousand Words by itstpia8: 8:07am On Nov 05, 2015
was that the only ship. . . .?
Re: "The Good Ship Jesus." A Picture And A Thousand Words by sonmvayina(m): 9:42am On Nov 05, 2015
itstpia8:
was that the only ship. . . .?

Was the first...allot came afterwards..
Re: "The Good Ship Jesus." A Picture And A Thousand Words by Nobody: 12:24pm On Nov 05, 2015
I have come to the conclusion that black people enjoy being enslaved to other races. they just can't help it.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Good Ship Jesus." A Picture And A Thousand Words by Nobody: 12:26pm On Nov 05, 2015
The problem is when slavery ended,they were still enslaved to the white man's religion. What will happen when freed from Christianity? They will look for something else to be enslaved to.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Good Ship Jesus." A Picture And A Thousand Words by Nobody: 12:27pm On Nov 05, 2015
Sometimes i wonder what went wrong. Mistake with our DNA?

1 Like

Re: "The Good Ship Jesus." A Picture And A Thousand Words by Nobody: 12:28pm On Nov 05, 2015
I have no doubt black people built the pyramids of Egypt

3 Likes

Re: "The Good Ship Jesus." A Picture And A Thousand Words by Nobody: 12:29pm On Nov 05, 2015
The question is did they build those pyramids as slaves?

2 Likes

Re: "The Good Ship Jesus." A Picture And A Thousand Words by Nobody: 12:30pm On Nov 05, 2015
Kumuyi,Oyedepo,Obadare,Adeboye are working for the slave masters. Keep you people in bondage with the help of black men.

4 Likes

Re: "The Good Ship Jesus." A Picture And A Thousand Words by Nobody: 12:34pm On Nov 05, 2015
The black race is a damaged race

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Good Ship Jesus." A Picture And A Thousand Words by Nobody: 12:37pm On Nov 05, 2015
And the misguided soul OLAADEGBU,all his post is never about his race. That dude should be thrown into a slave ship with his nairaland account. he never promotes anything good about his race. Always white jesus. How could you invest so much time and energy on a name used to enslave your great great great grand uncles and aunties.

3 Likes

Re: "The Good Ship Jesus." A Picture And A Thousand Words by hahn(m): 12:59pm On Nov 05, 2015
Unfortunately, a large percentage of the black race just don't get it undecided Our negative disposition towards acquiring knowledge is also helping us remain in the same "time" without any notable development.

These days religion is a tool used by blacks to enslave blacks and exploit them for financial gain and the gullible ones still can't see it.

It's indeed a sorry situation we have found ourselves in.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Good Ship Jesus." A Picture And A Thousand Words by plappville(f): 1:05pm On Nov 05, 2015
ifeness:
The problem is when slavery ended,they were still enslaved to the white man's religion. What will happen when freed from Christianity? They will look for something else to be enslaved to.

Who told you Jesus was white?
Re: "The Good Ship Jesus." A Picture And A Thousand Words by plappville(f): 1:08pm On Nov 05, 2015
ifeness:
Kumuyi,Oyedepo,Obadare,Adeboye are working for the slave masters. Keep you people in bondage with the help of black men.

How has Je slaved you? Dont you slave for Fela shrine as well? undecided
Re: "The Good Ship Jesus." A Picture And A Thousand Words by plappville(f): 1:08pm On Nov 05, 2015
ifeness:
And the misguided soul OLAADEGBU,all his post is never about his race. That dude should be thrown into a slave ship with his nairaland account. he never promotes anything good about his race. Always white jesus. How could you invest so much time and energy on a name used to enslave your great great great grand uncles and aunties.

So much pains.... tongue
Re: "The Good Ship Jesus." A Picture And A Thousand Words by Nobody: 1:16pm On Nov 05, 2015
plappville:

So much pains.... tongue

Indeed,so much pain seeing black folks go backwards in all aspect. Jesus should be a name all black people spit at.instead they love the chains that comes with it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Good Ship Jesus." A Picture And A Thousand Words by Nobody: 1:18pm On Nov 05, 2015
plappville:

Who told you Jesus was white?

The ideology is a white man. Jesus is fake but exists in the mind of low vibration black people.

1 Like

Re: "The Good Ship Jesus." A Picture And A Thousand Words by plappville(f): 1:23pm On Nov 05, 2015
The pictures reminded me of a terrible document i saw on the media. It was about Belgium and Congo. Tittled:(l'homme blanc coeur noir.) Meaning, white man black heart. aieeee, i tearsed. I think black man is still flowing in the slave stream till date.
Re: "The Good Ship Jesus." A Picture And A Thousand Words by plappville(f): 1:25pm On Nov 05, 2015
ifeness:

Indeed,so much pain seeing black folks go backwards in all aspect. Jesus should be a name all black people spit at.instead they love the chains that comes with it.

Ummm, i see so much hate . By the way, What did Jesus did to you? That you have to spit at his name?
Re: "The Good Ship Jesus." A Picture And A Thousand Words by plappville(f): 1:30pm On Nov 05, 2015
ifeness:

The ideology is a white man.

Nup, the bible says the contrary.

Jesus is fake

You are free to say so.

but exists in the mind of low vibration black people.

False, He lives in the heart of all. He didnt die for black race only but for all mankind. Not ready to start argument on this with you. Take it or leave it.

1 Like

Re: "The Good Ship Jesus." A Picture And A Thousand Words by Nobody: 1:31pm On Nov 05, 2015
plappville:

Ummm, i see so much hate . By the way, What did Jesus did to you? That you have to spit at his name?

Take a lot at all your streets in Nigeria..I'm sure you see lots of churches on a fuccking street!!! That is so wrong

2 Likes

Re: "The Good Ship Jesus." A Picture And A Thousand Words by Nobody: 1:33pm On Nov 05, 2015
plappville:

Nup, the bible says the contrary.

You are free to say so.

False, He lives in the heart of all. He didnt die for black race only but for all mankind. Not ready to start argument on this with you. Take it or leave it.

A slave defending her white master as usual. Most black ladies in slavery fuccked their white masters anyway to get a piece of bread.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Good Ship Jesus." A Picture And A Thousand Words by plappville(f): 2:04pm On Nov 05, 2015
ifeness:

Take a lot at all your streets in Nigeria..I'm sure you see lots of churches on a fuccking street!!! That is so wrong

Do they kill? Do they force people to come in?
Re: "The Good Ship Jesus." A Picture And A Thousand Words by plappville(f): 2:08pm On Nov 05, 2015
ifeness:

A slave defending her white master as usual. Most black ladies in slavery fuccked their white masters anyway to get a piece of bread.

Are you confused /frustrated? shocked shocked

You say what you do not know. Its stupid to say that Jesus is a white man when the bible contains no such claims. You are believing a false paint work. Be wise for once IFENESS. .. grin
Re: "The Good Ship Jesus." A Picture And A Thousand Words by Nobody: 2:13pm On Nov 05, 2015
plappville:

Are you confused /frustrated? shocked shocked

You say what you do not know. Its stupid to say that Jesus is a white man when the bible contains no such claims. You are believing a false paint work. Be wise for once IFENESS. .. grin

A slave in iron bars

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Good Ship Jesus." A Picture And A Thousand Words by Nobody: 2:46pm On Nov 05, 2015
Black man, emancipate yourself from mental slavery. No other can save you. Except you.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Good Ship Jesus." A Picture And A Thousand Words by johnydon22(m): 2:53pm On Nov 05, 2015
ifeness:
The black race is a damaged race

I totally disagree with this, the black race is no way a damaged or inferior race. . . Such mindset is an individual thing..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Good Ship Jesus." A Picture And A Thousand Words by plaetton: 3:15pm On Nov 05, 2015
johnydon22:

I totally disagree with this, the black race is no way a damaged or inferior race. . . Such mindset is an individual thing..

I am convinced that the psyche of the black race badly damaged.

Otherwise, how else do you explain worshipping a god who doesn't look like you, adopting the history of people who , apart from not looking like you, despise people like you?

How do explain skin bleaching, looting your community or nation go stash in another nation?

How do explain that despite more than 100yrs of western education, despite almost 60yrs of running our own economy, far majority of Nigerians still think that Jesus bestows economic wellbeing and worldly riches ?

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

EXPOSED : Atheist Truthman83 LIED And DECEIVED Nairalanders / Jesus Disciples Fellowship (JDF) members, post your fellowship venue / Private Jet Is A Necessity And Not A Luxury - Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.