Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,936 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:17 AM

Automatic Gearbox Problems - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Automatic Gearbox Problems (188149 Views)

Are You An Automatic Gearbox Wrecker? / Automatic Gearbox Issues. Find help here / Can I Replace Manual Gearbox Wt Automatic Gearbox On Benz 230E? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by delaw4u: 6:54pm On Nov 15, 2013
Hello car doct
Where do I get the atf for my 03 vw passat and what fluid can I use for the power steering?
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by rottenegg: 7:06am On Nov 16, 2013
Good job Dr but most of us in Lagos would like to know if you can suggest any good mech here for us? my 07 civic d drive indicator just started blinking last night and i'm scared to even turn the car on. i don't know any mech here and i stay at 1004. can anyone help from the house?
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by cardoctor(m): 7:17am On Nov 18, 2013
kulikuli45: I drive a 2007 Camry v6. I recently changed the shaft and since then, the transmission has been having difficulty engaging reverse. Sometimes, it will engage and disengage immediately, while at other tines, it will work well. What could be responsible? Pls advise/assist. Thanks.

Your mechanic probably removed the drive shaft while the gearbox was still hot.

VERY DANGEROUS PROCEDURE.

Its a common mistake that mechanics make. If the drive shaft is removed while the gearbox is hot, cool air gets into the gearbox through the shaft hole rapidly cooling the inside of the gearbox. This causes the temperature sensitive metal components inside the gearbox to contract faster than it normally would. This phenomenon could distort or warp the valve body constricting the space that the plunger valves travel in. The consequences is that transmission fluid would not flow as designed to and valves would not open or shut properly to allow the engagement of gears or the smooth transmission of torque to the wheels.

You might be looking at a new gearbox or an extensive overhaul.

Car-Doctor.

1 Like

Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by cardoctor(m): 7:29am On Nov 18, 2013
stanlo300: My Toyota 2004 Camry only select gear 1,2 and 3 only.my mechanic said is electrical fault.pls I need us help

Get your car tranny scanned first.

Car-Doctor.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by cardoctor(m): 7:32am On Nov 18, 2013
Cuzz: My golf 3 doesnt select gear One again and whenever I put it on drive it wont move bt rather be making noise as i press the trottle,other gears are all ok. Is my gear Box dead?

Your gear 1 clutch fibres are probably burnt. It may require a gearbox overhaul or replacement but have it scanned first.

Car-Doctor.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by cardoctor(m): 7:40am On Nov 18, 2013
jcshols: Guys,pls whch ATF can I use for 407 V6?

Carlube Synthetic Dexron 6.

Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by cardoctor(m): 7:53am On Nov 18, 2013
Uncle odi: Car d0ct0r, I just acquired a US used 2004 h0nda. After abt 0ne m0nth, I started hearing an extra s0und when I am in m0ti0n. This s0und usually s0unds like the engine when y0u are driving but 0n A̷̷̴̐͠ higher pitch. I d0nt knw h0w t0 explain this: 0k- imagine y0u are driving a 504 at midnight when the radi0 stati0ns are 0ffline and y0u turn 0n ur radi0, y0u will suddenly n0tice that the radi0 is pr0ducing a s0und c0ming fr0m ur level 0f accelerati0n if y0u match brake it st0ps. That is the kind 0f s0und I hear fr0m my engine when I drive with my radi0 0ff. S0 what c0uld ßε̲̣ the pr0blem?

Car radio interference originates usually in the ignition system, the charging circuit or among electrical accessories. There are several checks you can carry out to trace the source of the interference.

Interference is either radiated - that is, picked up by the aerial - or conducted to the set by its own wiring. Before looking for the source, make sure that the set itself is properly earthed to the car's metal bodywork. Examine the aerial mounting to ensure that it has clean, firm contact with the underside of the bodywork to provide a satisfactory earth connection.

Some interference is fairly easy to identify. A rapid crackling, or a ticking noise, that intensifies with engine speed almost certainly is conducted, from the ignition system - the most common source of interference. The crackling usually originates from the high-tension (HT) side and the ticking from the low-tension (LT) parts.

An alternator that is not fitted with a suppressor will produce a whining sound, rising in pitch as the engine speed increases.

Interference from electrical components such as windscreen wipers, fan heater and direction indicators can be identified immediately. The noise will disappear when the component is switched off.

Car-Doctor.

1 Like

Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by cardoctor(m): 7:57am On Nov 18, 2013
dan_dollar: Why is my gear stick usually hard to shift from park to reverse, especially in the mornings, but at times moves freely?
Is it normal?

Check your gear selector spindle at the gearbox. It may be rusty and in need of lubrication. Also check for free movement of the gear selector linkages or cable.

Car-Doctor.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by cardoctor(m): 7:59am On Nov 18, 2013
stray800: nyc one doc,read through ur trend and just understood d probs with my car civic 01,it has been cutting off while in motion and had the fuel pump changed several times until yesterday while it cut off in motion yesterday came by ur trend while trying to look for a solution on line,wld have to send for the ATF z1 gear oil from abuja cos what they av here is a red can going and was adviced to go for oando but kicked against the idea apart from ur well researched and documented forum created to assist novice like me,its same on line when i checked on line,thanks so much,keep up ur good work.

Thanks bro. You are always welcome.

Car-Doctor.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by cardoctor(m): 8:04am On Nov 18, 2013
urchmanx:

Do you fix Mercedes transmission if yes kindly send me your contact I will love to have some talk with you.

We service and repair all modern cars and Mercedes is one of our specialties. Our numbers are below.

Autobrite.

Car-Doctor.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by cardoctor(m): 8:16am On Nov 18, 2013
kaykay27: Hi,
Please for a 2004 Jetta, what kind of ATF would you recommend?
Used Holts when I changed the gear but I noticed it slips when temperature is high.
Thanks.

Use any good quality synthetic Dexron 3. Avoid Abro and Holt. There's quite a few fake Seahorse ATF in circulation now as Seahorse Dexron 3 is getting quite popular. BEWARE!!!!

Car-Doctor.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by cardoctor(m): 8:17am On Nov 18, 2013
younglawya: Hello sir
Do you have an office in lagos? If yes where?

Sorry, We are based in Abuja.

Car-Doctor.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by cardoctor(m): 8:22am On Nov 18, 2013
dan_dollar: Car doctor,
Please wats your opinion on adding additives to honda auto transmission like the lubguard auto transmission fluid protectant? Any adverse effect?

I don't know what year of manufacture that your Honda is but I still wont advice you to add any additive to your normal gear oil. Always stick to manufacturer's recommendations. It will save you a lot of wahala in the long run.

Car-Doctor.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by cardoctor(m): 8:26am On Nov 18, 2013
ceetee:
Hi. Pls I'm a novice my avalon ATF guage is on minimum &requires genuine toyota ws atf . Where can I get it or its equivalent(total or Mobil) in Abuja. Do u reccommend Mobil 1 synthetic ATF.
It is advisable to top-up with a different brand or do a complete flush? Never changed the ATF before . Thanks

The gearbox in your car is very sensitive to the type of ATF being used in it. The wrong one can severely damage your gearbox. Always use the recommended Toyota WS.

They are readily available here in Abuja but BEWARE of fakes.

Car-Doctor.

Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by cardoctor(m): 8:33am On Nov 18, 2013
delaw4u:
Hello car doctor
wish engine oil can I use to service my volkswagen passat 2003 1.8T engine, and the transmission fluids plus the coolant urgent responces
I need to services my car and where can I get the engine oil the manual says 5W-40 for the engine oil whre do I get or any similar engine oil
Thanks

Mobil 1 should be ok for your car. Make sure that you buy from a Mobil Station because there is a lot of fakes around.

Car-Doctor.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by cardoctor(m): 8:35am On Nov 18, 2013
Silay: Pls I need to change the ATF for my Nissan Pathfinder 1999/2000 Model. Whats the best ATF for this type of vehincel.

Nissan Matic D or J.

Car-Doctor.

Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by cardoctor(m): 8:39am On Nov 18, 2013
awolols: Hey doc. I was scared to death tonight cos I thought my 08 accord would not getme home. Drove down a slope as usual rpm went up but this time VSA and ABS lights came on. Thereafter gears selects only 1. If it manages to go to 2 its with a vigorous jerk. The D light is also blinking. What do you think is the problem?

Did you have work done on your wheels such as brake pad or disc change, suspension work, tyres, etc.? I hope your ABS sensors have not been damaged.

Carry out a full diagnostic scan including the ABS system. lets know what the results are.

Car-Doctor.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by cardoctor(m): 8:41am On Nov 18, 2013
ReLaTE: Does a faulty brainbox affects gearbox coz my gear is nt selecting well and I was adviced to change my Ecu.

It can but it depends on what type of car that you are using. What's the model and make of your car sir?

Car-Doctor.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by cardoctor(m): 8:45am On Nov 18, 2013
delaw4u: Hello car doct
Where do I get the atf for my 03 vw passat and what fluid can I use for the power steering?

YOU can get Golf ATF from any of your local car parts store but I don't know where you are. We are in Abuja though and its quite readily available here. Best equivalent is Dexron 3 from a good manufacturer like Mobil or Oando.

Use Abro or Holt for your power steering.

Car-Doctor.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by cardoctor(m): 8:47am On Nov 18, 2013
rottenegg: Good job Dr but most of us in Lagos would like to know if you can suggest any good mech here for us? my 07 civic d drive indicator just started blinking last night and i'm scared to even turn the car on. i don't know any mech here and i stay at 1004. can anyone help from the house?

Unfortunately we are based in Abuja. Try Automedics or Automaze in Oregun.

Carry out a scan first and post the results here.

Car-Doctor.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by lawalta: 9:09am On Nov 18, 2013
Car Doctor,
Please help.
I need help. I have a Kia Rio 2008 (first user) bought from Kia in Nigeria in 2009. still at a mileage just below 30000, I have discovered it jerks, the gear appears not to change automatically as it should. When the car was just about 2 years old and below 15,000. I first noticed the problem, I took it to Kia, since it was still under warranty, it spent about 2 weeks with them, they were unable to detect any issue. I took back my car, since my wife was to start using it for school runs..(that did not happen anyway). I have used a code reader on it before (it detected only one fault, P0717 – Input/Turbine Speed Sensor Circuit No Signal). I have not being able to source that in Nigeria. My wife does not complain (I suppose, because it is her first car, but anytime, I drive the car... It just does not seem right). I took it to a mechanic in Agidimgbi just this past weekend, he drove the car for a bit, and suggested that we need to change the Valve Body, and change some sensors, that he will need to have the car for 2 days, that it will cost me N100k to fix... that the Gear is still good... I dont know what to do... I dont think, I can cough out N100k now... I called Kia about a new Gear, I was told it will cost me N1.6m... I explained, that I bought the car for N1.8m in 2009... how can the Gear be more costly than the Car...? What do I do?
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by delaw4u: 11:20am On Nov 18, 2013
tanx car doctor
i have this issue again when i put my car into drive the body is shaking my mechanic says its the exhaust that caused it please i need ur advice
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by cardoctor(m): 8:07pm On Nov 18, 2013
lawalta: Car Doctor,
Please help.
I need help. I have a Kia Rio 2008 (first user) bought from Kia in Nigeria in 2009. still at a mileage just below 30000, I have discovered it jerks, the gear appears not to change automatically as it should. When the car was just about 2 years old and below 15,000. I first noticed the problem, I took it to Kia, since it was still under warranty, it spent about 2 weeks with them, they were unable to detect any issue. I took back my car, since my wife was to start using it for school runs..(that did not happen anyway). I have used a code reader on it before (it detected only one fault, P0717 – Input/Turbine Speed Sensor Circuit No Signal). I have not being able to source that in Nigeria. My wife does not complain (I suppose, because it is her first car, but anytime, I drive the car... It just does not seem right). I took it to a mechanic in Agidimgbi just this past weekend, he drove the car for a bit, and suggested that we need to change the Valve Body, and change some sensors, that he will need to have the car for 2 days, that it will cost me N100k to fix... that the Gear is still good... I dont know what to do... I dont think, I can cough out N100k now... I called Kia about a new Gear, I was told it will cost me N1.6m... I explained, that I bought the car for N1.8m in 2009... how can the Gear be more costly than the Car...? What do I do?

P0717 KIA

P0717 KIA - Input Turbine Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction

Possible causes

- Faulty Transmission Speed Sensor
- Transmission Speed Sensor harness is open or shorted
- Transmission Speed Sensor circuit poor electrical connection

When is the code detected?

Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0717 is detected when TCM or ECM receives no signal from the sensor.

Possible symptoms

- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Possible shifting problems

The input speed sensor detects the primary pulley revolution speed and sends a signal to the Transmission Control Module (TCM) and Engine Control Module (ECM).

Check the Transmission Speed Sensor to see if its properly connected and if it is, then it may be faulty. If the gearbox is completely damaged, I would recommend that you change it completely.

Have you tried sourcing the gearbox from Ladipo? I don't know how much a used Tokunbo unit will cost but its worth the effort in trying to find out. Trying to repair it may be uneconomical in the long run.

Car-Doctor.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by cardoctor(m): 8:13pm On Nov 18, 2013
delaw4u: tanx car doctor
i have this issue again when i put my car into drive the body is shaking my mechanic says its the exhaust that caused it please i need ur advice

More info pls.

What car is this?
What job was done on it recently?

Car-Doctor.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by kenzspunpy(m): 7:14am On Nov 19, 2013
Hi car doctor. I've tried unsuccessfully to reach you on the phone. I own a 1995 Audi A4. I worked on the gear when it started jerking violently, especially when cold on gear one and eventually started leaking oil from the gear box. The guy who worked on it changed the oil pump and converter. Yet, the problem persisted. I'm thinking of changing the entire gear box. Can you help me work on it? If you could, how long will it take?What is the cost of a new gear box? Pls reply ASAP
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by ReLaTE(m): 2:43pm On Nov 19, 2013
car-doctor:

It can but it depends on what type of car that you are using. What's the model and make of your car sir?

Car-Doctor.
golf 3 1996 model,.whenever I put it on drive it wl move bt selecting gear 3 is where I hv d problem coz it wl jerk and sometimes wl nt move even if i rev it up to 40rmp until it wen it feels like selecting. My mechanic directed me to an auto electrician and he did a scan and told me that my brainbox needs to be replaced.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

Official Nissan & Infiniti Thread / Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector / The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.