Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,864 members, 7,806,457 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:49 PM

Automatic Gearbox Issues. Find help here - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Automatic Gearbox Issues. Find help here (10270 Views)

Are You An Automatic Gearbox Wrecker? / Automatic Gearbox Problems / Can I Replace Manual Gearbox Wt Automatic Gearbox On Benz 230E? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Automatic Gearbox Issues. Find help here by cardoctor(m): 4:15pm On Jul 18, 2013
This thread is for Toyota and Honda cars.

Honda automatic gearbox issues have become a reoccuring decimal to most Honda automatic car owner. Slow take off, sluggish acceleration, lack of kick down, loss of drive while in motion, lack of gear change, aggressive gear changes, high engine revs without power in drive just to name a few.

From my observation and the complaints made by some of our customers, these problems usually start from a gearbox oil change that was recommended by the mechanic who then uses the wrong type of ATF oil for the transmission. Honda recommends their own formula ATF-z1 for their gearboxes manufactured between 1998 to 2009 and upgraded to the ATF-Dw1 for gearboxes manufactured from 2010 upwards. Toyota automatic transmission oils share similar ATF grades with the Hondas and can be bought as Toyota Type IV or the WS.

Using the wrong grade of ATF would almost certainly result in a failing transmission. Low grade ATF may not be able to handle the high temperature operations of a gearbox. Under very high temperatures, low grade oil loses its fluidity and may begin to boil causing loss of hydraulic functions by frothing or foaming.

Some remedies I have seen used by local mechanics is to further add engine oil to the gearbox in order to thicken the viscosity of the ATF. This in turn puts the pump under great stress as the thicker oil would require more effort from the pump in distributing the oil under high pressure as well as the oil filter which is usually embedded within the transmission gear train. (The removal and changing of all Honda transmission oil filter would require the removal of the gear box from the car and stripping down the gearbox but not necessarily so in most Toyotas)

The resulting consequence would be an imminent and extreme overheating of the transmission and components such as the friction plates and a rapid degradation of the wet clutch fibres hence the loss of drive, slipping clutch and rough gear changes.

Replacing the gearbox or a total overhaul by an expert would be the likely solution but before then, an inexperienced mechanic would Send you on a wild goose chase by suggesting the removal and servicing or outright replacement of shift solenoids on the outer casing of the gearbox. These solutions Don't last as its just a temporal remedy to a terminal issue.

I recommend that if you are having serious issues with your Toyota or Honda auto gearbox, ensure that the appropriate procedures are followed.

1 Like

Re: Automatic Gearbox Issues. Find help here by olayman(m): 9:00pm On Sep 23, 2013
car-doctor:
Honda automatic gearbox issues have become a reoccuring decimal to most Honda automatic car owner. Slow take off, sluggish acceleration, lack of kick down, loss of drive while in motion, lack of gear change, aggressive gear changes, high engine revs without power in drive just to name a few.

From my observation and the complaints made by some of our customers, these problems usually start from a gearbox oil change that was recommended by the mechanic who then uses the wrong type of ATF oil for the transmission. Honda recommends their own formila ATF-z1 for their gearboxes manufactured between 1998 to 2009 and upgraded to the ATF-Dw1 for gearboxes manufactured from 2010 upwards.

Using the wrong grade of ATF would almost certainly result in a failing transmission. Low grade ATF may not be able to handle the high temperature operations operations of a gearbox. Under very high temperatures, low grade oil loses its fluidity and may begin to boil causing loss of hydraulic functions by frothing or foaming.

Some remedies I have seen used by local mechanics is to further add engine oil to the gearbox in order to thicken the viscosity of the ATF. This in turn puts the pump under great stress as the thicker oil would require more effort from the pump in distributing the oil under high pressure as well as the oil filter which is usually embedded within the transmission gear train. (The removal and changing of all Honda transmission oil filter would require the removal of the gear box from the car and stripping down the gearbox)

The resulting consequence would be an imminent and extreme overheating of the transmission and components such as the friction plates and a rapid degradation of the wet clutch fibres hence the loss of drive, slipping clutch and rough gear changes.

Replacing the gearbox or a total overhaul by an expert would be the likely solution but before then, an inexperienced mechanic would Send you on a wild goose chase by suggesting the removal and servicing or outright replacement of shift solenoids on the outer casing of the gearbox. These solutions Don't last as its just a temporal remedy to a terminal issue.

I recommend that if you are having serious issues with your Honda gearbox, ensure that the appropriate procedures are followed.
. Hello doc, do u knw where I can get honda CVT fluid in lagos ? Or can I use Nissan NS2 or NS1 for honda hydrid?
Re: Automatic Gearbox Issues. Find help here by jcshols: 7:47am On Sep 28, 2013
@car doctor,nice 1 from u. Keep it up. I hav bn using Dextron III on my car,I just recently used d Sea horse Dextron III,do I still change it to ATF-Z1? How many will I need for a V6 EOD? I await ur prompt response. Thanks.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Issues. Find help here by sleekier(m): 7:16am On Jul 13, 2014
Pls d gurus... Let's keep d thread alive once again.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Issues. Find help here by adanny01(m): 9:41pm On Jul 18, 2014
My dad had a 1996 accord which was in perfect condition until the mechanic asked him to service the gear box. He agreed and they used Abro at the time. In summary, we bought a new gear box a month later with no warning.

I traveled with the car from my village to Zaria. Went to my friends house but upon leaving there the gear didnt change at all. Just gear 1 and reverse. I changed gear oil to total but that was it, it went flat.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Issues. Find help here by Macmilla(m): 6:07pm On Sep 16, 2014
Car dr., if you are still with us, I greet thee.
I appreciate your work here.
I just got a honda babyboy 2001 model, while driving it, it upshifts and downshifts normally under calm situation but I noticed a problem when in an emergency. Normally, in case of emergency when the car is in motion but you need fast acceleration, if you floor the throttle, the car should downshift one or two gears depending on current speed, to be able to give the take-off that you need. This does not happen, instead if you floor the throttle, it will start reving, making noise and slipping till you release the throttle. I checked the manual and it is clearly written that it should downshift to accelerate fast. Please what do you think is the problem and the possible solution?
Re: Automatic Gearbox Issues. Find help here by Shananah: 10:36am On Nov 21, 2015
Car- doctor, I ve Honda Accord 2009 model and it's making aggressive changes while initial speed I.e between gear (1-3). I was thinking it may be transmission fluid that is weak that cannot withstand high initial acceleration. Kindly tell me how many liters of ATF-DW1 my car need, I want order for it.thank you.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Issues. Find help here by ksnowbaba: 4:35pm On Nov 23, 2015
Car doctor, which ATF is the best for Honda Accord 2004 v6 and where can I get the original in Lagos?
Re: Automatic Gearbox Issues. Find help here by lafakale(m): 4:05pm On Nov 27, 2015
My car is honda accord 1998 baby boy. I accidentally push the gear to reverse while on speed and since it fails to enter reverse. My mechanic told me to change the gearbox while another mechanic said he can replace the worn-out teeth and gearbox will work fine. Please car doctor, whose advice should I follow?

(1) (Reply)

Refitting Deployed Airbags! Who Knows How? / Is It Bad To Change Your Gear To Drive While Your Car Is Still Rolling Backwards / New Vehicle Sales Drop 48% In Q3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.