Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,018 members, 7,799,477 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:12 PM

Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police (18428 Views)

10 Things You Can Relate With If You Were Raised By Nigerian Parents / David Oyedepo Got Painted By Nigerian Artist Ayeola Ayodeji / My Dad Has Been Detained 4 Two Months, Pls Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by edwardjr: 5:00pm On Jul 18, 2013
pls Nairalanders

what would you do if police broke into your house by 1.20am to arrest you and your dad alone, because boy was be-headed last month and the body dumped in a primary sch.in your neighbourhood?

N/B:
1.they said they were petitioned and that the commissioner of police said they were not doing anything about the incident(murder case)

2.They said they were on mass arrest but 2 other tenants were not arrested in my compound apart from about 10 other innocent people living close.

3. We were taken into the cell directly without writing our statements and were kept in cell till 9am

4. the police collected 10,000 for our bail(me and my dad).

5. It was after all this that we were now asked to write our statements.

6. My dad was under medications,sick yet he was put into d cell without clothes to cover cold and it triggered his BP which was very high.

I want to sue!

1 Like

Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by ReubenAbati: 6:00pm On Jul 18, 2013
Damn!

Is he stable now?
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by segzicres(m): 6:01pm On Jul 18, 2013
Pele. 1st to comment!!!!!!!!!! 1st time ever!
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by TheMan3: 6:03pm On Jul 18, 2013
Hmmm sorry about that
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by otijah(m): 6:04pm On Jul 18, 2013
segzi cres: Pele. 1st to comment!!!!!!!!!! 1st time ever!
You no get sense. @op just be thanking GOd that u guys are out and healthy leave the rest for God.

3 Likes

Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by Juni4jay(m): 6:05pm On Jul 18, 2013
pls sue...NPF r group of criminals demself?

4 Likes

Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by Nobody: 6:06pm On Jul 18, 2013
thats Nigeria police for you,they act like babarians.
if you can press charge,do so,if not,just lick your wound with praises that you are alive to tell the story.

1 Like

Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by Decryptor(m): 6:08pm On Jul 18, 2013
It's even possible that it was the police who killed the boy in the first place! Criminals on uniforms!! angry

2 Likes

Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by ajetunde: 6:10pm On Jul 18, 2013
otijah: You no get sense. @op just be thanking GOd that u guys are out and healthy leave the rest for God.

Typical Naija attitude, to thank God and leave the rest for God.

Two people die in an accident....Thank God it's not Ten
PHCN gave us light for just 3 hours today......Thank God they brought it, they tried.

@Op, I know it may be expensive to get a lawyer but there are human right lawyers who could pick up your case for free. Do your best to get justice but don't expect too much so that you won't be disappointed

19 Likes

Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by Abujafood: 6:11pm On Jul 18, 2013
@Seun do something about this first to comment it's becoming very annoying. If you banned people for asking about the price of garri I think we need to ban this first commenters as they're really annoying!

@Topic

Sue so long as you have evidence you'll win and it will teach the police how to respect people's rights! Some years ago the police had to pay N1 million naira to the family of the Editor of Tell magazine for pointing a gun at their 4 year old daughter's head while trying to arrest him (the editor)

9 Likes

Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by kkkp: 6:12pm On Jul 18, 2013
Police again? Always harrasing innocent citizens.....force full of illitrates and drunks
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by Godson201333(m): 6:12pm On Jul 18, 2013
Just thnk God and do not waste your time suing them..
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by yuzedo: 6:12pm On Jul 18, 2013
otijah: You no get sense. @op just be thanking GOd that u guys are out and healthy leave the rest for God.

That's b..ullshit! We need to start demanding professional accountability from these oafs that are supposed to serve and protect us! The DPOs should start being held responsible for the actions of their boys. If conditions are poor in the NPF it isn't mandatory for these illiterates to remain there and be oppressing the community.

OP petition everyone that can be petitioned. Consult a lawyer like Femi Falana, if your father died (God forbid) na only sorry dem go talk. Time to start fighting back so these f..ools know they aren't above the law they are supposed to uphold! Sorry about the traumatic experience. if na Ombatse cult now dem no go arrest anybody. angry angry angry angry angry

9 Likes

Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by OkikiOluwa1(m): 6:13pm On Jul 18, 2013
Sue the hell out of them! ffucking murdrers!
Last Bullet:
I don't like unjust treatment of humans.
Boiling... Looking for a plank to knak on...
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by Abujafood: 6:16pm On Jul 18, 2013

@Seun do something about this first to comment it's becoming very annoying. If you banned people for asking about the price of garri I think we need to ban this first commenters as they're really annoying!

10 Likes

Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jul 18, 2013
Jxt thank God that u nd ur dad re out.... God will vindicate u guyz
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by JENMAUCY(f): 6:17pm On Jul 18, 2013
Dats naija 4 u......but fight for your right dear
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by otijah(m): 6:17pm On Jul 18, 2013
ajetunde:

Typical Naija attitude, to thank God and leave the rest for God.

Two people die in an accident....Thank God it's not Ten
PHCN gave us light for just 3 hours today......Thank God they brought it, they tried.

@Op, I know it may be expensive to get a lawyer but there are human right lawyers who could pick up your case for free. Do your best to get justice but don't expect too much so that you won't be disappointed
so u knw its expensive, and u want him to get free lawyer. Forgeting that not only lawyers alone would be involved in terms of expenses. @op fighting NPF in Nigeria is just starting a fight u can't win at all so leave the rest for God.
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by Testerfuze(m): 6:22pm On Jul 18, 2013
Decryptor: It's even possible that it was the police who killed the boy in the first place! Criminals on uniforms!! angry
Jst my tot as well.....it myt b d handwork or dose crazy barbarians.
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by Okijajuju1(m): 6:22pm On Jul 18, 2013
edwardjr: pls Nairalanders

what would you do if police broke into your house by 1.20am to arrest you and your dad alone, because boy was be-headed last month and the body dumped in a primary sch.in your neighbourhood?

N/B:
1.they said they were petitioned and that the commissioner of police said they were not doing anything about the incident(murder case)

2.They said they were on mass arrest but 2 other tenants were not arrested in my compound apart from about 10 other innocent people living close.

3. We were taken into the cell directly without writing our statements and were kept in cell till 9am

4. the police collected 10,000 for our bail(me and my dad).

5. It was after all this that we were now asked to write our statements.

6. My dad was under medications,sick yet he was put into d cell without clothes to cover cold and it triggered his BP which was very high.

I want to sue!

Get a lawyer and sue..

1. You shouldn't be arrested without prior cause..

2. bail is free and the police has no right to grant bail but a court.

3. There is no such thing as mass arrest.

1 Like

Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by dehcko: 6:22pm On Jul 18, 2013
that's 9ja for you. lawless country with clueless president.....

3 Likes

Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by quest003: 6:26pm On Jul 18, 2013
your case might run for the next five years without headway and at the end, even if the judgement favours you and you are awarded damages, my bro, u may not be given.

1 Like

Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by Judolisco(m): 6:28pm On Jul 18, 2013
If u dnt sue u are a fool
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by Codedrock(m): 6:28pm On Jul 18, 2013
My dad have also been arrested unlawfully before..
Then i was like.. How i wish i have gotten my Certificate and blast those idiotic police!
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by ItMilly(m): 6:29pm On Jul 18, 2013
Barbarians in uniform...waH else can dey offer
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by Nobody: 6:29pm On Jul 18, 2013
Nigerians and their lazy attitude they call let us put it in prayers or let us leave it for God.... God has already given u brains, pls use it. Planes are crashing.... Lets put it in prayers, the roads are bad..... lets put it in prayers, that poitician ate the money for the road..... Lets leave it for God...
The compromise of today becomes the standard of tomorrow.
Op if u can sue them, even if u dont win, they will know that people are ready to fight back. That is the only way we can make the country better, not expecting God to come down and do something for u, something he has already given u brains to do for ur self.
If the go scot free next time they may start firing their guns into the house before they enter to arrest anyone still alive

13 Likes

Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by ebamma3: 6:29pm On Jul 18, 2013
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by Candybob(m): 6:30pm On Jul 18, 2013
This same crap happened to some guys living in my hood, they bundled all the men into their van and told them that some one was smoking igbo!
If you can sue please do.
And if the house is rented it would do you good to move out of there, because once the Npf has determined that you guys are vulnerable, they are going to keep coming back to make arrests with impunity! Policemen (especially that ajiwe division) have made themselves notorious for unlawful arrests, banging in on peeps trying to catch some sleep without proper introduction save some distant siren. U will think there is a robbery in progress! Very poor ethics! sad

2 Likes

Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by dridowu: 6:31pm On Jul 18, 2013
I 8 9ja police
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by godwinony(m): 6:32pm On Jul 18, 2013
ewu mpam..
@op..our police are so lawless and there isn't much we can do about it..i was fortunate to escape yesterday from a compound where i was charging my psp and phone when police men stormed the building and rounded off everyone because they caught a guy with wraps of indian hemp in the neigbouring compound, how the thing take concern the compound i dey, i no know..
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jul 18, 2013
Write a letter of petition to the National assembly.. copy the Police service commission, copy the inspector general of police.. copy the Assistance Inspector General of police of your zone, copy the commissioner, copy the DPO of the police station.. Submit at the National assembly and all other places you copied. Your matter will be treated.. Going to court is a waste of time.. how many cases are still in court against the NPF since the 90's??

3 Likes

Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by iyobs7(f): 6:33pm On Jul 18, 2013
My brother just thank God that u are out.
I dont have faith in the Judicial system in Nigeria
and even if u sue, what are u expecting? That they pay u millions of naira
Or that they should apologise and refund the 10k bail out money?
Even if they agree to pay anything, u will never get it.
Just chillax and thank God u are out...
U dont have any evidence that u gave them 10k for bail and they might plan u and ur dad l8r cry cry cry

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Make My Husband Addicted To Me? / What's That Thing You Hate To Purchase But You Need It Everyday? / ‘House Husbands’ More Prone To Infidelity –Study

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.