Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,283 members, 7,807,953 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:50 PM

Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease (24588 Views)

The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda / Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. / The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 7:11pm On Jul 19, 2013
queen binte o: Is there no way we can kill all the mosquitoes in Africa? @ Abali- dude!! I need you on whatsapp orBBM jor!!come to fb let's chat.
ok, ma.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 7:19pm On Jul 19, 2013
Sirgen05:

Let me clarify you on this!
SCD is a genetic adaptation to reduce the incidence of malaria. This is cos the plasmodium species causing malaria rarely survive in the SCD red blood cells which have reduced oxygen concentration and life span. This makes it RARE among them when compared to the general population with normal shaped red blood cells.
However, malaria in SCD is very fatal when they eventually come down with it! This is cos the infection leads to hypoxia and anemia which are triggers to Crisis in SCD.

In summary, malaria is rare(but can affect them) but FATAL in SCD.
Thanks.
Biko, ejoor, please, I don't want to get into this arguement again.
Every warrior out there should do his/her possible best to prevent malaria attack. This includes taking malaria preventive at least once a month.
Oga at the top, Malaria attack is a common re-occurrence in the life of a warrior. Sometimes malaria still remains even after treating it.
I don't care what your text books tell you, but malaria attack (often as a result of frequent mosquito bites) is an ever present danger to a warrior.

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Sirgen05(m): 7:25pm On Jul 19, 2013
Abali1: 4) Sickle Cell Affects only Black people..:
I used to have this misconception, but not anymore. Sickle Cell is not a black man's disease. Agreed, majority of people living with sickle cell disease are people of African dissent. But there are a number of other nationalities that have people living with sickle cell disease. These includes, the carribeans, Brazillians, Asians, Greeks etc. So, I will advice that we correct the notion that Sickle Cell disease is the Black-man's disease.

Moreso . . . . . . .

Malaria parasites thrive well in warm and moist environment which is obtainable in the TROPICAL COUNTRIES. Those u listed above.
It(malaria) is almost not seen in temperate regions e.g North America, Europe, Australia!
The tropical indigens must survive the malaria scourge hence the genetic adaptation that led to SCD. This makes it common among the tropical which include(but not only) the Blacks!
SCD can still be found among temperates inhabitants especially through intermarriage!
Thanks.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by MissOpe(f): 7:25pm On Jul 19, 2013
Can some1 plz explain 2 me the difference(s) betweem Ss and Sc.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 7:26pm On Jul 19, 2013
When the Anopheline mosquito bites a person and injects malarial parasites into the body, red cells are invaded and the parasites multiply in these erythrocytes (red cells) until they burst, releasing more parasites into the body, to produce severe febrile illness with serious consequences. If the person infected has sickle cell anaemia [SS], then the mere onset of fever, diarrhoea, vomiting, and other complications precipitates serious sickle cell crisis. If the patient with malaria has entirely normal haemoglobin genes [AA] then the malarial parasites, unless quickly eliminated by vigorous treatment, can also prove catastrophic. In the sickle cell trait [AS], however, as soon as the parasite begins to multiply in the red cell, using up the cell's oxygen supply, the AS cell changes from round to sickle shape and does not reach bursting point before the spleen mops it up, preventing further progress of the disease. In childhood, this makes the difference between survival ofthe AS NORMACHE child, and death of AA NORMNORM and SS ACHEACHHE children. Please read that again until you understand it.
Reference:
www.sicklecell.md/faq.asp

2 Likes

Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Sirgen05(m): 7:29pm On Jul 19, 2013
Malaria is seen and fatal among SCD! But when u COMPARE to others it rarer! Thanks.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 7:30pm On Jul 19, 2013
Miss Ope: Can some1 plz explain 2 me the difference(s) betweem Ss and Sc.
Both are variants of sickle cell diseases. But it is believed that SC is the milder form of sickle cell disease. Moreover, people who have SC, do not normally experience painful crisis as much as those with SS.
There is also another variance known as Sickle Cell Beta-Thal.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by MissOpe(f): 7:35pm On Jul 19, 2013
Abali1:
Both are variants of sickle cell diseases. But it is believed that SC is the milder form of sickle cell disease. Moreover, people who have SC, do not normally experience painful crisis as much as those with SS.
There is also another variance known as Sickle Cell Beta-Thal.
NOW I UNDERSTAND BETA-TANX 4 D ENLIGHTMENT.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by missade(f): 7:49pm On Jul 19, 2013
@ OP thanks for bringing this out. Having a bro that's SS is no fun. Lots of nights in the hospital and groans and blood transfusion in severe cases not to mention the drips! I'm so grateful to God that he's alive and almost forty.
People who say people with SCD don't have malaria must be deluded because on the contrary its their nemesis especially in here in tropics. They come down with it and get anaemic. Hence, they need to take preventive malaria drugs once every month or eeven the "sunday sunday one" weekly anti-malaria drug.
Anything ranging from cold weather to physical exertion leads to a crisis. It does need care and attention and can be managed.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by sweetrie(f): 8:00pm On Jul 19, 2013
@ Op, how does the "Cellod-s" work. It just gets so frustrating living wit SCD, but there is a GOD
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by write2obi(m): 8:11pm On Jul 19, 2013
If only I was this informed, Okechukwu my kid brother might still be alive now, *SMH* may you find peace where u are right now. AMen.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 8:13pm On Jul 19, 2013
sweetrie: @ Op, how does the "Cellod-s" work. It just gets so frustrating living wit SCD, but there is a GOD
Cellod-S is a anti-sickling agent. It helps to prevent the sickling of your Red Blood Cells and it has been known to help build up patients PCV (Packed Cell Volume) level.
I have been on it since last year (2012) and it does help me to stay above board.
But I will advice you talk to the director of ormed supreme option ltd, makers of cellod-s and perhaps your doctor or health care giver.
NB
I am not really qualified to give advice on drugs and medications.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 8:17pm On Jul 19, 2013
write2obi: If only I was this informed, Okechukwu my kid brother might still be alive now, *SMH* may you find peace where u are right now. AMen.
Am sorry about your lost. May Okechukwu Rest in Peace. Amen.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by sweetrie(f): 8:24pm On Jul 19, 2013
Abali1:
Cellod-S is a anti-sickling agent. It helps to prevent the sickling of your Red Blood Cells and it has been known to help build up patients PCV (Packed Cell Volume) level.
I have been on it since last year (2012) and it does help me to stay above board.
But I will advice you talk to the director of ormed supreme option ltd, makers of cellod-s and perhaps your doctor or health care giver.
NB
I am not really qualified to give advice on drugs and medications.
. Thanks, will ask a doctor. But how effective for U wud U say it is and do u take other routine drugs eg paludrine,folic acid or just d Cellod-s
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 8:47pm On Jul 19, 2013
sweetrie: . Thanks, will ask a doctor. But how effective for U wud U say it is and do u take other routine drugs eg paludrine,folic acid or just d Cellod-s
since last year I have been mainly on Cellod-s and I have noticed that I don't really need other medications. Though I take Astymin capsules from time to time. I have equally started paying attention to the food I eat and also take lots of fruits.
No, issues with my health since last year. Unless you want to count the headaches I do have maybe once in a 3/4 months.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by mrsolutionm(m): 8:49pm On Jul 19, 2013
I have a friend of mine dat is a sickler back then in my secondary school days at onitsha,chai was dis wat he was passing through?,I pray may god protect and guide him,amen
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by sweetrie(f): 9:12pm On Jul 19, 2013
Abali1:
since last year I have been mainly on Cellod-s and I have noticed that I don't really need other medications. Though I take Astymin capsules from time to time. I have equally started paying attention to the food I eat and also take lots of fruits.
No, issues with my health since last year. Unless you want to count the headaches I do have maybe once in a 3/4 months.
thanks, been trying to get in touch with them, can't get thru. Wud appreciate it if u can give me a link or tell me where I can get d drug
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 9:42pm On Jul 19, 2013
sweetrie: thanks, been trying to get in touch with them, can't get thru. Wud appreciate it if u can give me a link or tell me where I can get d drug
www.ormedsupremeoption.com/distributorship.html
visit their website above and get the contacts of distributors near you.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jul 19, 2013
Abali1:
Yeah. The person already had a chat with the director, but still wants to talk to warriors about their experiences (not just only the drug). It won't really hurt if the person can talk to you or chat with you through mail or phone.
OK I sent you a mail.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Neye1973: 10:03pm On Jul 19, 2013
Fantastic write up.i actually joined cos of this white up becos I am a warrior. I am 40, I hold OND,HND,B.SC and just came bak from the UK for my masters.i am married with a beautiful girl.so there is nothing impossible. As amballi said the most important is to understand yourself as a warrior and keep fighting. If you need any help ou can call me on 08052244200. You can look and buy DIoscovite which I gathered is one of the finest drugs now.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Cashio(m): 10:20pm On Jul 19, 2013
We were born 8...lost three to dt evil...the only one survivor is now 23....i feel like dieing weneva i see him in pains..sometimes i imagine (never asked him though) how those pains are like....u see a fully grown guy shouting and crying as though he is burning in hell...the crises intervals are reducing as he grows older and wen they occur,they are not as serious as they used to be wen he was younger...not lazy cos wen we were small,we play ball together,go to stream together. infact he does things jst lyk a normal person jst dat ma parents do restrict him at times...he now owns a game house....but he is so stubborn..never listens to instructions even concerning his own health...always does that wch his mind wishes...missed him so much cos it's been two yrs since i left home...may God grant my sweet brother longer life and one devoid of incesant crisis....*sobs*

3 Likes

Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 10:21pm On Jul 19, 2013
blink182: OK I sent you a mail.
Replied.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by rezzy: 10:43pm On Jul 19, 2013
Abali1:
When it comes to using our mental strength, Warriors have been known to thrive and excell above most of their contemporaries. It is not boasting, it's just the reality.

I have one in the school i teach. She is very very brilliant. I feel for her but i dont think the parents do. As cold as the weather is, she doesnt put on cardigan and kept breathing with difficulties. When you stand in front of the class, you 'll hear her breathing. I just pray God keeps her.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 10:50pm On Jul 19, 2013
Neye1973: Fantastic write up.i actually joined cos of this white up becos I am a warrior. I am 40, I hold OND,HND,B.SC and just came bak from the UK for my masters.i am married with a beautiful girl.so there is nothing impossible. As amballi said the most important is to understand yourself as a warrior and keep fighting. If you need any help ou can call me on 08052244200. You can look and buy DIoscovite which I gathered is one of the finest drugs now.
Kudos man. I pray to be like you one day with my own wife and kids. I hope it will be soon.
Dioscovite, is actually good. It is a diatery supplement and comes in a colorless liquid form. It also has anti-sickling agent. That's is the much I know.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 10:54pm On Jul 19, 2013
rezzy:

I have one in the school i teach. She is very very brilliant. I feel for her but i dont think the parents do. As cold as the weather is, she doesnt put on cardigan and kept breathing with difficulties. When you stand in front of the class, you 'll hear her breathing. I just pray God keeps her.
Don't just watch and pray for her. You can come to school with extra cardigan just because of her.
Warriors should learn to be their own best friend, by avoiding situations that may trigger off crisis.

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 11:00pm On Jul 19, 2013
Cashio: We were born 8...lost three to dt evil...the only one survivor is now 23....i feel like dieing weneva i see him in pains..sometimes i imagine (never asked him though) how those pains are like....u see a fully grown guy shouting and crying as though he is burning in hell...the crises intervals are reducing as he grows older and wen they occur,they are not as serious as they used to be wen he was younger...not lazy cos wen we were small,we play ball together,go to stream together. infact he does things jst lyk a normal person jst dat ma parents do restrict him at times...he now owns a game house....but he is so stubborn..never listens to instructions even concerning his own health...always does that wch his mind wishes...missed him so much cos it's been two yrs since i left home...may God grant my sweet brother longer life and one devoid of incesant crisis....*sobs*
Am really touched by your story. I am sorry for the once you lost to SCD.
Please let you brother equip himself with as much knowledge about SCD as possible. At 23 he is an adult and should be in a position to understand his body better. With improvement in research and medical science, I don't see why he can't manage himself and at the same time enjoy his life.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by rezzy: 11:07pm On Jul 19, 2013
Abali1:
Don't just watch and pray for her. You can come to school with extra cardigan just because of her.
Warriors should learn to be their own best friend, by avoiding situations that may trigger off crisis.

Ok, thanks i will do that.

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Donawoite(m): 11:10pm On Jul 19, 2013
Pimples: Hmmm. I never knew that it could be this serious.
May God continue to give all individuals suffering from SC strenght to endure and courage to conquer this illness
Amen
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by sixteen08(m): 11:11pm On Jul 19, 2013
I have never been this inspired and enlightened on NL,@Op and other warriors, kudos. May God keep you safe and grant you your heart desires.

*stillsubscribing*
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Sleek05(f): 12:04am On Jul 20, 2013
Lobatan....My boyfriend and I are both AC...op, pls tell me CC aint dat bad!
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 12:26am On Jul 20, 2013
Big shout out to my cousin (a warrior) who against all odds is a reason for the smile on our faces. This is someone who against all odds left for school away from home, graduated against all odds, started working against all odds and now floating his own company against all odds. He truly makes me wanna marry a warrior.

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by iguita: 2:03am On Jul 20, 2013
Abali1: 7) The Calm before the storm.:
From the term above, you will understand that I am talking about that confusion you have as a parent/care-giver of sickle cell person that looks completely healthy, very active, and suddenly relapses into crisis.
You hear things like, "ahh ahh! But this child has been playing all day with his friends; s/he even perticipated in the end of year school activity in thier school and danced with other children"; "but s/he has not heard crisis for sometime now, I didn't take it serious when s/he complained about feeling a little feverish" and other such comments.
Mummy, daddy, uncle and aunty, please the time that child needs to be carefully watched over is when s/he is hyper-active.
Believe me exhaustion or even dehydration can lead to sudden and unexpected attack. If you doubt this, ask any survivor/warrior to tell you their childhood experiences. Also remember that your child, like any other child, will always want to do what others are doing.
NB.
I am not asking you to choke him/her to death with care/ or to cage him/her. But be watchful when they are at play. By now most people who have been around people living with Sickle cell should know that most of us are naturally very stubborn, and cannot easily be caged.

My cousin died at the age of 23, he still went to a party that evening with his friends, they all sat outside our house till late in the night b4 his crisis started...... He was taken to general hospital but was not attended to in time...... You will never understand the pain a sickler goes thru..... Sometimes, we're taking a stroll and he falls without anyone touching him.... Despite all d care and money spend, dude still died... RIP my brother

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Aso Rock Clinic DOES NOT Have Paracetamol Or Cotton Wool - TheCable / China Detects First Human Case Of H3N8 Bird Flu / Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.