Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,010 members, 7,799,451 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:34 PM

My Landlord Says My Girlfriend Should Not Visit During Ramadam - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / My Landlord Says My Girlfriend Should Not Visit During Ramadam (1334 Views)

A Message For My Muslim Brethens In This Period Of Ramadam(image) / Chineese Uyghurs Defy Ramadam Ban / She Made Love To Me (In Ramadam Kareem) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Landlord Says My Girlfriend Should Not Visit During Ramadam by modicum: 9:59am On Jul 19, 2013
I'm living in a 2 bedroom apartment with my landlord who is a Muslim .i've got a girlfriend who visits me once in a week and my landlord is well aware of this. To my surprise, my landlord called me on Saturday that I should tell my girlfriend not to visit me on Ramadan period because my girlfriend visiting my own room is a SIN for him because he's fasting.
Note: I'm a free thinker and not fasting with him. 2. We're not related and not sharing the same room. 3. My tenancy agreement doesn't indicate any Ramadan clause. 4. I've got only one girlfriend visiting this apartment . 5. My landlord has got 2 wives living in separate apartment. 6. I've been living in this apartment for 9months and I introduced my girlfriend to my landlord when I moved in. 7. Anytime my girlfriend visits, she come straight into my room meaning she hardly meet my landlord .8. My girlfriend is very clean and anytime she uses the toilet, she always keep it clean and tidy.
My question is; how does my visiting girlfriend affect my landlord's fasting??
Re: My Landlord Says My Girlfriend Should Not Visit During Ramadam by jam04(m): 10:52am On Jul 19, 2013
Does she sleep over when she comes? If yes, probably the moaning/noise from the 'bed-action' gets to your landlord.
You should call your landlord and ask him to specifically tell you his reasons, so that you can adjust.
Re: My Landlord Says My Girlfriend Should Not Visit During Ramadam by Marpol: 10:52am On Jul 19, 2013
modicum: I'm living in a 2 bedroom apartment with my landlord who is a Muslim .i've got a girlfriend who visits me once in a week and my landlord is well aware of this. To my surprise, my landlord called me on Saturday that I should tell my girlfriend not to visit me on Ramadan period because my girlfriend visiting my own room is a SIN for him because he's fasting.
Note: I'm a free thinker and not fasting with him. 2. We're not related and not sharing the same room. 3. My tenancy agreement doesn't indicate any Ramadan clause. 4. I've got only one girlfriend visiting this apartment . 5. My landlord has got 2 wives living in separate apartment. 6. I've been living in this apartment for 9months and I introduced my girlfriend to my landlord when I moved in. 7. Anytime my girlfriend visits, she come straight into my room meaning she hardly meet my landlord .8. My girlfriend is very clean and anytime she uses the toilet, she always keep it clean and tidy.
My question is; how does my visiting girlfriend affect my landlord's fasting??

He is jealous cos you are doing the do while he ain't
Re: My Landlord Says My Girlfriend Should Not Visit During Ramadam by modicum: 11:26am On Jul 19, 2013
jam04: Does she sleep over when she comes? If yes, probably the moaning/noise from the 'bed-action' gets to your landlord.
You should call your landlord and ask him to specifically tell you his reasons, so that you can adjust.

She does not sleep over.As I stated in my earlier post,his reason is that he considers it a [b]SIN FOR HIM [/b]if my girlfriend visits.
Re: My Landlord Says My Girlfriend Should Not Visit During Ramadam by tpia5: 4:31pm On Jul 19, 2013
Maybe he doesnt want to be tempted by your girlfriend.

Either that or he doesnt want to hear you doing stuff.
Re: My Landlord Says My Girlfriend Should Not Visit During Ramadam by lanrexlan(m): 5:32pm On Jul 19, 2013
tpia@:
Maybe he doesnt want to be tempted by your girlfriend.

Either that or he doesnt want to hear you doing stuff.
I agree with you bro,but the op says his landlord and his girlfriend don't meet most of the times.Maybe his landlord has a personal reason beyond that....Peace
Re: My Landlord Says My Girlfriend Should Not Visit During Ramadam by tpia5: 7:24pm On Jul 19, 2013
Well, i dont see what the personal reason could entail beyond his not wanting to be distracted during fasting, all the looking once and twice thing.
Re: My Landlord Says My Girlfriend Should Not Visit During Ramadam by lanrexlan(m): 7:47pm On Jul 19, 2013
tpia@:
Well, i dont see what the personal reason could entail beyond his not wanting to be distracted during fasting, all the looking once and twice thing.
You got that bro,the landlord is trying to lower his gaze.
Re: My Landlord Says My Girlfriend Should Not Visit During Ramadam by tpia5: 1:52am On Jul 20, 2013
no doubt.
Re: My Landlord Says My Girlfriend Should Not Visit During Ramadam by deols(f): 12:40pm On Jul 20, 2013
I thought OP is a Muslim and the landlord is trying to help him.

Well, what you do doesn't have a direct effect on his fast. But probably some things you do tempt him in some ways.

Ask him about it.
Re: My Landlord Says My Girlfriend Should Not Visit During Ramadam by HCF(m): 7:43pm On Jul 20, 2013
deols: I thought OP is a Muslim and the landlord is trying to help him.
The OP is not a muslim,he describes himself as a 'free thinker'...and he is 'not fasting' with the landlord.
Re: My Landlord Says My Girlfriend Should Not Visit During Ramadam by BetaThings: 9:00am On Jul 21, 2013
Muslims typically are more conscious during Ramadan
It is a sin to abet sins
Providing accommodation for Zina is a sin
It does not bother him in other months, but now he sees himself as needing to avoid all sins (direct and indirect)
As sins committed now weigh more
Many muslims wil npt feed their guests in the afternoon of Ramadan; don't bother to ask them for water
I will not give either

I am just explaining, not trying to say I am sinless
Indeed I need to seek forgiveness more than 1 million time daily
Re: My Landlord Says My Girlfriend Should Not Visit During Ramadam by LagosShia: 9:07am On Jul 21, 2013
BetaThings: Muslims typically are more conscious during Ramadan
It is a sin to abet sins
It does not bother him in other months, but now he sees himself as needing to avoid all sins (direct and indirect)
Many muslims wil npt feed their guests in the afternoon of Ramadan; don't bother to ask them for water
I will not give either

so where does LAKUM DINUKUM WALIYA DEEN ( "For you is your religion, and for me is my religion."-verse 109:6) come in?

if the man is paying his rent,then it is his money he is using for zina.you have the choice not to renew his rent,or to refund his rent and ask him to leave.you cannot force non-muslims who do not believe in Islam as we do to fast.there is no harm in providing food (in kindness) to someone not fasting during Ramadan.fanaticism should not be encouraged and justified under the banner of Islam through ignorance.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Says My Girlfriend Should Not Visit During Ramadam by deols(f): 7:12pm On Jul 21, 2013
It is a sin to abet sins
I will not give either

He paid his rent. I don't think there's much the landlord can do.

About giving people water in ramadan, do put in mind that Islam allows some people NOT to.fast. Would you deny them water as well?
Re: My Landlord Says My Girlfriend Should Not Visit During Ramadam by tbaba1234: 11:38pm On Jul 21, 2013
It is a sin to abet sins
I will not give either

Incorrect bro,

If you can feed the poor in Ramadan then you should.

Even in an Islamic State, the non-muslims are governed by their own law. Hence the christians/jews can produce alcohol or rear swine for their communities. That happened in the time of the ottomans. Ofcourse, public consumption is forbidden.

As long as they do not commit crime in the public glare, you can't accuse them of Zina. Where are your four witnesses?? Are you or the landlord making an assumption? You know that kind of talk is not for public discussion, that is why four witnesses are required before making an accusation. remember the punishment of one who makes an accusation without witnesses.

The landlord should take other precautions.
Re: My Landlord Says My Girlfriend Should Not Visit During Ramadam by maclatunji: 9:57am On Jul 22, 2013
Interesting points raised by this post:

It is a sin to abet sins
I will not give either

Re: My Landlord Says My Girlfriend Should Not Visit During Ramadam by BetaThings: 8:41pm On Jul 22, 2013
LagosShia:

so where does LAKUM DINUKUM WALIYA DEEN ( "For you is your religion, and for me is my religion."-verse 109:6) come in?

if the man is paying his rent,then it is his money he is using for zina.you have the choice not to renew his rent,or to refund his rent and ask him to leave.you cannot force non-muslims who do not believe in Islam as we do to fast.there is no harm in providing food (in kindness) to someone not fasting during Ramadan.fanaticism should not be encouraged and justified under the banner of Islam through ignorance.
Re: My Landlord Says My Girlfriend Should Not Visit During Ramadam by BetaThings: 8:50pm On Jul 22, 2013
deols:

He paid his rent. I don't think there's much the landlord can do.

10 people are cursed in relation to alcohol trading
One of them is the person who provides transportation for it
Collecting money will not absolve him on that day
This landlord has collected his rent, but if it is a sin, it is a sin
He has to manage what he got himself into

deols:
About giving people water in ramadan, do put in mind that Islam allows some people NOT to.fast. Would you deny them water as well?

You are trying to clobber me with an unfair argument
I cannot challenge a mensurating woman for not fasting/praying
A muslim doctor will happily feed a patient during Ramadan
These cases are different
Re: My Landlord Says My Girlfriend Should Not Visit During Ramadam by BetaThings: 8:57pm On Jul 22, 2013
tbaba1234:

Incorrect bro,

If you can feed the poor in Ramadan then you should.
Even in an Islamic State, the non-muslims are governed by their own law. Hence the christians/jews can produce alcohol or rear swine for their communities. That happened in the time of the ottomans. Ofcourse, public consumption is forbidden.

I am feeding the poor sahur and iftar. I am not giving them lunch
This matter is not straightforward
Look at the position here. Most scholars forbid it
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/49694

tbaba1234:
As long as they do not commit crime in the public glare, you can't accuse them of Zina. Where are your four witnesses?? Are you or the landlord making an assumption? You know that kind of talk is not for public discussion, that is why four witnesses are required before making an accusation. remember the punishment of one who makes an accusation without witnesses.

The landlord should take other precautions.
I am not talking about zina of full intimacy in this case
There is the issue of abetting people being in seclusion, zina of the eyes etc
My bro, we know that behind closed doors anything can happen. I can walk away from a brothel but not from my flat and all the signs and audio evidence
If the flats are separate, perhaps he can close his eyes
Re: My Landlord Says My Girlfriend Should Not Visit During Ramadam by tbaba1234: 9:45pm On Jul 22, 2013
BetaThings:

I am feeding the poor sahur and iftar. I am not giving them lunch
This matter is not straightforward
Look at the position here. Most scholars forbid it
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/49694

Ok, I understand but it still needs to be qualified. If you are aiding in 'sin'. Because you can still feed children and the sick who can't fast.

I still think the issue is more complex. The christians of najran worshipped in the masjid of the prophet when they visited him. And he (SAW) permitted them. That is shirk in the masjid.

But let's leave fiqh discussion to scholars.

I am not talking about zina of full intimacy in this case There is the issue of abetting people being in seclusion, zina of the eyes etc My bro, we know that behind closed doors anything can happen. I can walk away from a brothel but not from my flat and all the signs and audio evidence If the flats are separate, perhaps he can close his eyes

Like I said, the landlord has to take other precautions for himself and his family. He has no case here. He could have included it in the contract or only rented his place to married people.

Did he just realise in Ramadan? What happens after Ramadan? Is that hypocrisy?

What happens within closed doors can not be legislated against.
Re: My Landlord Says My Girlfriend Should Not Visit During Ramadam by BetaThings: 10:53pm On Jul 22, 2013
tbaba1234:
But let's leave fiqh discussion to scholars.
My stand
That is why I posted the Islam Qa link

tbaba1234:
Like I said, the landlord has to take other precautions for himself and his family. He has no case here. He could have included it in the contract or only rented his place to married people.

Did he just realise in Ramadan? What happens after Ramadan? Is that hypocrisy?

What happens within closed doors can not be legislated against.

I only offered an explanation of the man;s actions
People are usually more conscious during Ramadan. They will reject during Ramadan what they used to live with
we know why - Shaytan is chained. Crime rate drop in Ramadan
BTW lest the Christians attribute drop in crime rates to the idea that muslims constitute the bulk of criminals
we should remember that crime rate rises close to Christmas
Re: My Landlord Says My Girlfriend Should Not Visit During Ramadam by tpia5: 2:40am On Jul 23, 2013
BTW lest the Christians attribute drop in crime rates to the idea that muslims constitute the bulk of criminals
we should remember that crime rate rises close to Christmas

a cycle.
Re: My Landlord Says My Girlfriend Should Not Visit During Ramadam by BetaThings: 3:54pm On Jul 23, 2013
tpia@:

a cycle.

It would be useful to be like that woman economist - Carmen Reinhart - and use HARD data to back up positions taken
Re: My Landlord Says My Girlfriend Should Not Visit During Ramadam by tpia5: 3:59pm On Jul 23, 2013
i meant the christian/muslim back and forth is cyclic.

ie unending.

(1) (Reply)

Imam Says U.s. Initiative Can Resolve Middle East Tensions / Let's Memorize The Qur'an / Dubai Releases 1,000-kg Book On Prophet Mohammad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.