Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,122 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:00 AM

Machine Turns Sweat Into Drinking water - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Machine Turns Sweat Into Drinking water (14501 Views)

Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone / Turkish 'Vampire' Gives-up Blood Drinking, Biting Others / The Lifestraw: Water Filter, Designed To Provide Safe Drinking Water Anywhere (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Machine Turns Sweat Into Drinking water by ceejayluv(m): 12:31pm On Jul 19, 2013
A machine that takes sweat-laden clothes and turns the moisture into drinking water is in use in Sweden.

The device spins and heats the material to remove the sweat, and then passes the vapour through a special membrane designed to only let water molecules get through.

Since its Monday launch, its creators say more than 1,000 people have "drunk other's sweat" in Gothenburg.

They add the liquid is cleaner than local tap water.

The device was built for the United Nation's child-focused charity Unicef to promote a campaign highlighting the fact that 780 million people in the world lack access to clean water.

The machine was designed and built by engineer Andreas Hammar, known locally for his appearances on TV tech show Mekatronik.

He said the critical part of the sweat machine was a new water purification component developed by a company named HVR in collaboration with Sweden's Royal Institute of Technology.

"It uses a technique called membrane distillation," he told the BBC.

"We use a substance that's a bit like Goretex that only lets steam through but keeps bacteria, salts, clothing fibres and other substances out.

"They have something similar on the [International] Space Station to treat astronaut's urine - but our machine was cheaper to build.

"The amount of water it produces depends on how sweaty the person is - but one person's T-shirt typically produces 10ml [0.3oz], roughly a mouthful."

The kit has been put on show at the Gothia Cup - the world's largest international youth football tournament.

Mattias Ronge, chief executive of Stockholm-based advertising agency Deportivo - which organised the stunt - said the machine had helped raise awareness for Unicef, but in reality had its limitations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23360907

1 Like

Re: Machine Turns Sweat Into Drinking water by demmy55(m): 3:54pm On Jul 19, 2013
Nawa o! This Oyibo ppl don come again with their unimportant inventions. How many liters or gallons of sweat dem wan get? undecided

By the way, how did I make 1st place Abi ona dey take siesta

7 Likes

Re: Machine Turns Sweat Into Drinking water by DICKtator: 3:55pm On Jul 19, 2013
ewwwww!!!!
grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Machine Turns Sweat Into Drinking water by Nobody: 3:56pm On Jul 19, 2013
Sick!!
Re: Machine Turns Sweat Into Drinking water by latbas(m): 3:56pm On Jul 19, 2013
Great invention.3rd to comment
Re: Machine Turns Sweat Into Drinking water by supaeagles(m): 3:56pm On Jul 19, 2013
Wow, I can use this in Las Gidi's heat and humidity very well. Maybe even make business and sell pure water
Talk about making money from my sweat .... figuratively and literally!
grin

1 Like

Re: Machine Turns Sweat Into Drinking water by DICKtator: 3:56pm On Jul 19, 2013
Don't care how really safe it is!!!
Just gross to know that you are drinking a sweat-converted H two Ho.es
grin grin grin grin
Re: Machine Turns Sweat Into Drinking water by Shaadey: 3:57pm On Jul 19, 2013
Ok. . .2nd 2 c0mment
Re: Machine Turns Sweat Into Drinking water by FulaniBOII(m): 3:57pm On Jul 19, 2013
hehe well Humans are catching up with nature. Nature don dey recycle these things for years. Next time when you want to drink that cup of water remember d same water might have gone thru millions of people and you're like drinking what they dropped lol.

3 Likes

Re: Machine Turns Sweat Into Drinking water by mankind80(m): 3:58pm On Jul 19, 2013
Na wetin go kill man..go kill man!
Re: Machine Turns Sweat Into Drinking water by johnstar(m): 3:59pm On Jul 19, 2013
Re: Machine Turns Sweat Into Drinking water by Tunjman(m): 3:59pm On Jul 19, 2013
First, it was recycling sewage water to drinkable water...now, it's turning sweat into water, abeg, water finish for lagoon? This oyibo people sef.
Re: Machine Turns Sweat Into Drinking water by greatgod2012(f): 4:01pm On Jul 19, 2013
Na wa o!!!

This is real "nothing shall be wasted" stuff!
Good development, though!

1 Like

Re: Machine Turns Sweat Into Drinking water by bright007(f): 4:02pm On Jul 19, 2013
good innovation!....this got me thinking of how to re-package feaces and turn it into snacks.omo see business opportunity.

4 Likes

Re: Machine Turns Sweat Into Drinking water by Janiobi(m): 4:02pm On Jul 19, 2013
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed so who is going too produce d machine dat turns urine into juice? If i hear say alaba market never start to day pirate d stuff
Re: Machine Turns Sweat Into Drinking water by Lilimax(f): 4:03pm On Jul 19, 2013
Yuck!
No me be and them o cheesy

But how much of sweat do they produce in Sweden when
The coolest temperature is -5 °C (23 °F) in January & February.
and the warmest temperature is 22 °C (72 °F) in July.

Definitely not meant for them shocked

1 Like

Re: Machine Turns Sweat Into Drinking water by Realtony76(m): 4:04pm On Jul 19, 2013
This is a nice initiative

1 Like

Re: Machine Turns Sweat Into Drinking water by fulli16(m): 4:05pm On Jul 19, 2013
you've got 2 b kidding!!!

kinda nyc sha...lick yhur sweats y'all grin
Re: Machine Turns Sweat Into Drinking water by TheMaverick(f): 4:06pm On Jul 19, 2013
grin grin ;DLOL 'em comments....next it will be urine===>to water...People start sweating there's money to be madegrin
Re: Machine Turns Sweat Into Drinking water by YoshiMaster: 4:06pm On Jul 19, 2013
ceejayluv:
Since its Monday launch, its creators say more than 1,000 people have "drunk other's sweat" in Gothenburg.

You see?

When I told this one girl that I wanted to drink her sweat, she just gave me a dirty slap before I could explain my self.

She called me a pervert sad

I hope she is reading this article today where ever she is.
Re: Machine Turns Sweat Into Drinking water by Realtony76(m): 4:07pm On Jul 19, 2013
Tunjman: First, it was recycling sewage water to drinkable water...now, it's turning sweat into water, abeg, water finish for lagoon? This oyibo people sef.
because we are lucky here in 9ja... Does not mean that everyone is..
Re: Machine Turns Sweat Into Drinking water by Nobody: 4:08pm On Jul 19, 2013
Eeew!eew!eeew!drinking someone's sweat?how on earth?if only stomach dey talk..una 4 hear am.
Re: Machine Turns Sweat Into Drinking water by bankyc: 4:08pm On Jul 19, 2013
I will never take such water as far as i know it is others people sweat.
Re: Machine Turns Sweat Into Drinking water by WizPrince1(m): 4:08pm On Jul 19, 2013
Ehhh keke drop me i don see news...
Na Fake, make we dey go jare
Re: Machine Turns Sweat Into Drinking water by TheMaverick(f): 4:08pm On Jul 19, 2013
bright007: good innovation!....this got me thinking of how to re-package feaces and turn it into snacks.omo see business opportunity.
DEAD!! You just killed me...LOLMENT!
Re: Machine Turns Sweat Into Drinking water by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jul 19, 2013
this invention is silly, how about one that can convert dirty water to clean water?
Re: Machine Turns Sweat Into Drinking water by eban11: 4:10pm On Jul 19, 2013
i think i would have to get stuck to my borehole....before i go drink person sweat...and any nigerian goin there should better carry his eva bottle
Re: Machine Turns Sweat Into Drinking water by algorithm(m): 4:12pm On Jul 19, 2013
even the ones from the armpit and anus

very soo they will use SPERM
Re: Machine Turns Sweat Into Drinking water by naijathings(m): 4:17pm On Jul 19, 2013
for africa abi?? cos all this kain thing na usually for africa people. dem try sha
Re: Machine Turns Sweat Into Drinking water by eban40(f): 4:20pm On Jul 19, 2013
hmm dat a nice invention bt dont think i would drink dat water.
Re: Machine Turns Sweat Into Drinking water by Ninilowo(m): 4:23pm On Jul 19, 2013
Nyanma........*vomits*....

1 Like

Re: Machine Turns Sweat Into Drinking water by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jul 19, 2013
Hmm. Average glass of London tap water has passed through >9 people already. This isn't wholly bad as long as my clothes are clean grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Amazing Tech Inventions Of 2013 / 2go Version 4.0 Download On Www.2go.im / Meet Shanice, The Holographic Receptionist At London Council Building

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.