Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,238 members, 7,807,800 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:29 PM

Rubbish! Neither Awo Nor Adesanya Was Yoruba Leader –akinjide - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rubbish! Neither Awo Nor Adesanya Was Yoruba Leader –akinjide (5349 Views)

Awolowo Was Yoruba Leader, Osoba Replies OBJ / Aregbesola Is Positioning Himself As The Next Yoruba Leader - PDP Worried / How A New Yoruba Leader Will Emerge, By Sijuwade (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rubbish! Neither Awo Nor Adesanya Was Yoruba Leader –akinjide by Truequest(m): 11:02am On May 24, 2008
With the vacuum believed to have been created, following the passage of Chief Abraham Adesanya and the ensuing succession tussle that has become a feeding frenzy for the media, foremost lawyer, Chief Richard Akinjide has dismissed the existence of a void in the Yoruba leadership, insisting that at no time in the history of the Yoruba had there been a leader.

In a chat with Saturday Sun in Lagos, former Education minister in the first republic said it is erroneous for any right thinking person to imagine that the death of a leader of a political association or party could be equated with the absence of leadership of a race. According to him, not even the late Chief Obafemi Awolowo or Adesanya could be regarded as Yoruba leaders, adding that there were arrowheads of their political family.

“There is no time in the history of Yorubaland that the Yoruba have got a leader. The Yorubas have always got leaders.
When Awolowo was a leader of the Action Group, you also had Adegoke Adelabu and there was also Braithwait who were also leaders. You had people like Akintola, Adegbenro, later Adesanya, Ajasin, Kola Balogun. Throughout the history of the Yoruba, they had never had one leader. Yoruba have always had several leaders.”

While cautioning that political leadership should not be misconstrued for the leadership of a race, Akinjide, famous for his defense of the twelve-two-third result of the 1979 presidential result said the late Adesanya, who was the leader of the Afenifere, which he said is another name for the Action Group, UPN and the AD could not be described as his (Akinjide) leader, since he does not belong to his political clan.

“I am not a member of that group. I have never been a member of the Afenifere and there are other millions of Yoruba who are not members of the Afenifere. So, how can you say their leader is my leader as a Yoruba man? But Afenifere have their leader just as the Yoruba Council of Elders (YCE). You cannot tell me that when the Afenifere elects their own leader, then he becomes the leader of Adebayo Adeyinka who is not their member. So, there is a lot of confusion created by the press because they equate the leadership of a political party, like the Action Group, UPN or AD with the leadership of the Yoruba, which is not true.”

Reacting to claim by Chief Lamidi Adedibu that he is not a factor to be reckoned with in the politics of the Yoruba and by extension Oyo, Akinjide, while reeling out his resume to underscore his lofty political image, said rather than dignify the man widely humoured as the strong man of Ibadan politics, he would instead maintain his silence as it was the best answer for a fool yet to come to terms with his foolery.

For full text visit:

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/politics/2008/may/24/politics-24-05-2008-001.htm

Re: Rubbish! Neither Awo Nor Adesanya Was Yoruba Leader –akinjide by 1luvkipsus: 1:07pm On May 24, 2008
Thank God this's coming out from the mouth of one of their illustrious sons. The Yorubas, are very myopic in their reasoning, nay, their tribalistic mind. Now, we have known that there is NO position for that of a Yoruba leader, all that have been said about 'the Yoruba leader' are just propaganda. They look at any tribal demagogue as their leader.
Re: Rubbish! Neither Awo Nor Adesanya Was Yoruba Leader –akinjide by Truequest(m): 2:17pm On May 24, 2008
Chief Akinjide is entitled to his opinion, though I find disturbing his view on Pa Awo. You can't wish away his enormous contribution and dogged fight for the emancipation of the Yoruba race.
Re: Rubbish! Neither Awo Nor Adesanya Was Yoruba Leader –akinjide by oldie(m): 2:35pm On May 24, 2008
We get sucked into this senseless, myopic and opportunistic definitions of leadership
Political leadership is quite different from ethnic leadership
What does Fulani/Hausa/Ijaw/Igbo/Yoruba etc leadership mean?
Why dont we all start talking and demanding for Nigerian leaders?

I agree with Chief Akinjide on this
Time to move on,
Re: Rubbish! Neither Awo Nor Adesanya Was Yoruba Leader –akinjide by OsunAmazon: 3:43pm On May 24, 2008
We get sucked into this senseless, myopic and opportunistic definitions of leadership
Good one. 5 stars.
Re: Rubbish! Neither Awo Nor Adesanya Was Yoruba Leader –akinjide by Truequest(m): 4:56pm On May 24, 2008
oldie:

Why don't we all start talking and demanding for Nigerian leaders?

I agree with Chief Akinjide on this
Time to move on,

No, just say Pa Awo's contribution is not enough
Or am I missing something?
Re: Rubbish! Neither Awo Nor Adesanya Was Yoruba Leader –akinjide by oldie(m): 7:11pm On May 24, 2008
Truequest:

No, just say Pa Awo's contribution is not enough
Or am I missing something?

Yes you are!
Awo did whatever he did as a political leader not as a Yoruba leader
And nobody is diminishing what he achieved. He was a great man
But there are too many opportunists who want to use Awo's achievements to ascend
to some relevance based on nothing but clanishness, mediocrity and stolen wealth.
Re: Rubbish! Neither Awo Nor Adesanya Was Yoruba Leader –akinjide by Truequest(m): 8:50pm On May 24, 2008
oldie:

Yes you are!
Awo did whatever he did as a political leader not as a Yoruba leader
And nobody is diminishing what he achieved. He was a great man
But there are too many opportunists who want to use Awo's achievements to ascend
to some relevance based on nothing but clanishness, mediocrity and stolen wealth.

Ok if that's what you mean.
Re: Rubbish! Neither Awo Nor Adesanya Was Yoruba Leader –akinjide by kemofash20: 7:13pm On May 25, 2008
personally i dont like akinjide but on this occassion i cant but agree with him on this i personally i believe all this so called leaders fought for themselvesnd not for the yoruba race. they were just politicians tryin to survive
Re: Rubbish! Neither Awo Nor Adesanya Was Yoruba Leader –akinjide by Nobody: 1:47am On May 26, 2008
Where has this Akinjide man been?
Re: Rubbish! Neither Awo Nor Adesanya Was Yoruba Leader –akinjide by Akolawole(m): 2:07am On May 26, 2008
This  story was published in the sun Newspaper shocked and Chief was interviewed by who? shocked

With due respect to chief as a Father and fellow Yoruba but he is silly. grin

He cant teach me about Yoruba leadership?

Personal view

Chief Akinjide and his cousin, Chief Akinloye can never and will never be a trusted Yoruba leader. I was not suprised he was enlisting Adegoke adelabu, maybe in the next interview he will be mentioning Busari Adelakun(aka Eru-obodo).

As we call you and your cohorts in yoruba land  "Awon Demon buruku ".

1) Was it not you that an Ijesha man in Bola Ige floored in the 1979 governorship election? It was on record that you lost not only your family compound in  Alafara-Oje/Ode aje but even in your street. Nobody respect you in Ibadan let alone Yorubaland.

2) How did you escape Idiagbon's sledge hammer? Through which route did you ran away in 1983?

3) Why is the British protecting you and other looters in the second republic? Where did you get the money to buy/build that house in Stanmore, London?

4) Was it not because of your directionless that give birth to Adedubism in Ibadan?

Out of our genuine leaders, we chose our leader. Awo is one, Ajasin and Adesanya at one point is our leader. These are people that knows what they were doing.

Baba Ajasin wrote the draft on free education that Awo used in those days, Adesanya speak Democracy in the Abacha regime, What have you offered to Yoruba and Nigeria in general? Absolutely nothing!

It is what noting that you and few others were the looters in the second republic.
Re: Rubbish! Neither Awo Nor Adesanya Was Yoruba Leader –akinjide by DrKitaun(m): 2:34am On May 26, 2008
only a fool will listen to that shameless old hag called Akinjide  angry

these senile men just can't keep their mouths shut, rather expose their folly the more  undecided imagine someone that is supposed to have been left in gallow, now rants and raves on how STUPID CAN ANYONE BE TO SAY AWO IS NOT THE TRUE LEADER OF THE YORUBAS undecided  shocked angry

not even worth analysing . . . am pissed !  angry

@Akolawole

u try sha . . .say u fit condone this kind bunkum wey this agbaya omo-ita dey yarn  embarassed  grin
Re: Rubbish! Neither Awo Nor Adesanya Was Yoruba Leader –akinjide by rikkyjen(m): 8:36am On May 26, 2008
@ Akola & Kit  shocked shocked

The thing is this! Akinjide was dead wrong about Awolowo not being the only leader, but at the same time i get his drift!

Yes, Awo was the defacto leader, but the thing is this we had other people like Ladoke Akintola (The traitor abi?) running things with Awo too.

Do we now regard Akintola's leadership as a dud or what? Sulaiman Adegbenro, a one-time premier of the region and  infact Sir Adesoji Aderemi (the Governor of the Western region & Ooni), Odeleye Fadahunsi etc too were all totuted as the "Yoruba leaders" at one point in time

Akinjide's argument can be viewed in this perspective, especially to the folks who lived in Ile alamo( Mud house) grin grin. In the mud houses in the village, a child has a biological parent but WE all know the whole village is the son's parent. The "whole village" takes care,spank and feed the child in the absence and presence of the child's parent!. Thats how the Yoruba race is!

As for me, i find the idea ridiculos that if you are not in Afenifere, you can't be the leader. That is absolutely a bunkumi-sed theory. Is this not the same Afeniferes that have mixed politics with culture and tradition. Talk about mixing business with Bullshyte. If the Afenifere fathers all suppourt AC, what about the Yoruba sons in PDP, ANPP?

Anywayz, the thing is this, Richard Akinjide is being villified and would always be villified because of his role in the FEDECO 12 two/third election argument that threw Awolowo's case out of the Election tribunals and Supreme court.

I don't think the Yoruba race would ever forgive him for that and thats why he's being labelled as a sellout and a traitor by the Yoruba Oligarchy! embarassed
Re: Rubbish! Neither Awo Nor Adesanya Was Yoruba Leader –akinjide by landis(m): 10:30am On May 26, 2008
Bullshit.

Awolowo remains the #1 Yoruba Leaders. Others after come after him.

Awolowo leadership has nothing to do with his Political Party but his contribution to Yoruba Progress.

In 1945 in London, Awo helped found the Egbe Omo Oduduwa (Society of the Descendants of Oduduwa, the mythical ancestor of the Yoruba-speaking peoples), an organization devoted to the study and preservation of Yoruba culture.

http://www.britannica.com/eb/topic-180104/Egbe-Omo-Oduduwa

Akintola is not a Yoruba leader because he jeopadise Yoruba Progress by aligning with North for his own selfish ends; same category is OBJ.

Akinjide knows this but just deceiving himself and few others.

1 Like

Re: Rubbish! Neither Awo Nor Adesanya Was Yoruba Leader –akinjide by Akolawole(m): 5:23pm On May 26, 2008
@Rikky and Dr Kit

I hope we get about 10 nairalanders who are well versed in Naija politics so that we can really discuss our politics NOT post 1999 guys
Re: Rubbish! Neither Awo Nor Adesanya Was Yoruba Leader –akinjide by vikiviko(m): 5:33pm On May 26, 2008
The opinion is strictly's Akinjide's.
To say Awolowo was a defacto leader is unfair.
Awolowo represented what every progressive leader should be. Its the same note to say , Nnamdi Azikiwe was never a Nigerian leader.
Re: Rubbish! Neither Awo Nor Adesanya Was Yoruba Leader –akinjide by rikkyjen(m): 7:53pm On May 26, 2008
Akolawole:

@Rikky and Dr Kit

I hope we get about 10 nairalanders who are well versed in Naija politics so that we can really discuss our politics NOT post 1999 guys

Yes O!! Gather people make we talk about issues like Operation weti e, Umaru Dikko extradition  etc grin grin grin, Am tired of this Obasanjo collect him pikin wife politics or Obasanjo prostrating for Atiku in 2003 politics tongue tongue grin grin
Re: Rubbish! Neither Awo Nor Adesanya Was Yoruba Leader –akinjide by Akolawole(m): 9:07pm On May 26, 2008
rikkyjen:

Yes O!! Gather people make we talk about issues like Operation weti e, Umaru Dikko extradition etc grin grin grin, Am tired of this Obasanjo collect him pikin wife politics or Obasanjo prostrating for Atiku in 2003 politics tongue tongue grin grin

Thats why i hardly come to Nairaland Politics cry

OBJ this! Atiku that!! IBB Ole!!

Do you know that we were to do house warming of Akinloye's new house at Yemetu on the 31st December 1983 when buhari struck in Lagos?

100 cows was sent by Sheu to Ibadan.

Unfortunately, we cant party that night again
Re: Rubbish! Neither Awo Nor Adesanya Was Yoruba Leader –akinjide by Pataki: 10:44pm On May 26, 2008
Ai si Ologbo ni ile, ile di ti ekute. angry angry

Imagine Akinjide uttering the nonsense from his mouth. . . . . Has he forgotten so soon the role he played in the twelve two third in the late 70s?

Where were this people when Adesanya was alive? Where was Akinjide in the days of Abacha sef? Other than for Akinjide to keep genuflecting to Obasanjo what else was he known for?

This is why Nigerian politics suck. . . . . people that could never in their entire life open their gutters to address one, once they see you are no more, begin to run their dysentery mouth here and there. grin

Cowards.
Re: Rubbish! Neither Awo Nor Adesanya Was Yoruba Leader –akinjide by DrKitaun(m): 11:18pm On May 26, 2008
Yoruba leadership was not an elective one in the 1st instance so the likes of Fufu and Amala politicians like Akinjide, Akintola, and co will never be on the same pedestal with Awo cool

Awo led by example, had charisma which others liked and was instrumental to NATIONAL PROGRESS not some twats that only bother about their pockets grin

and yes . . .there are too many post 1999 politricking nairalanders here embarassed grin
Re: Rubbish! Neither Awo Nor Adesanya Was Yoruba Leader –akinjide by Akolawole(m): 12:19am On May 27, 2008
They may be born as Yoruba but we know the true Yorubasons and daughters.

From Ladoke Akintola days, they keep on clamouring for Yorubas to join the mainstream National politics. Now through their PDP, Yoruba is in their yeye National politics. What has that brought to Yorubaland? Thuggery, Under_development and first class LOOTING.

No party discipline! No nothing.

They should go and ask the Benin People what Awo did to Ambrose Ali when the latter use part of Bendel state money to bury his Mum.

I love 2nd republic politics.
Re: Rubbish! Neither Awo Nor Adesanya Was Yoruba Leader –akinjide by DrKitaun(m): 12:49am On May 27, 2008
see . . . Akolawole cool

u might love 2nd republic politics but abegiiiii this is like the 5th republic grin so lets move on tongue

stop comparing honorable men like Awo to the dishonorable idiots just peddling his name all about - AWOISTS the assholes call themselves angry

those days u could be sure that the then Awo and his cardinals in governing their domains always fulfil and outdo their promises . . .what do we have now ? the so-called leaders would even tell u not to expect anything if u didnt vote for them in ur locality ! na wao . . . embarassed
Re: Rubbish! Neither Awo Nor Adesanya Was Yoruba Leader –akinjide by TayoD1(m): 2:04am On May 27, 2008
@Pataki,

This is why Nigerian politics suck. . . . . people that could never in their entire life open their gutters to address one, once they see you are no more, begin to run their dysentery mouth here and there.
That's the major problem I have with naija. None of these people consider it wise to write books so the next generation can fully understand what has gone by and plan for the future. All that Adesanya knows just died with him in the grave. Why no books that we can all reference? Check the US, nearly every Tom, Dick and Harry writes. Even with that, some still try to re-write history. I tire for this kain wahala.
Re: Rubbish! Neither Awo Nor Adesanya Was Yoruba Leader –akinjide by DrKitaun(m): 10:53am On May 27, 2008
is everyone gifted with writing skills undecided

ACTION MAN ACTION !!! cool thats what we need . . . cool
Re: Rubbish! Neither Awo Nor Adesanya Was Yoruba Leader –akinjide by TayoD1(m): 1:18pm On May 27, 2008
@Dr Kitaun,

is everyone gifted with writing skills
Absolutely not. Do you think President Bush and most of the world leaders write their speeches? If they are unable to write, all they could do is share the info with those who would write and they can edit to ensure accuracy. We are losing the most valuable asset of nation-building: THE BENEFIT OF HIND SIGNT.

ACTION MAN ACTION !!! thats what we need . . .
Whic would you prefer? Action ased on zeal or action based on the benefit of hindsight? One is based on only idealism while the other is based on both idealism and wisdom built from experience (both personal and otherwise).
Re: Rubbish! Neither Awo Nor Adesanya Was Yoruba Leader –akinjide by Akolawole(m): 1:45pm On May 27, 2008
@Tayo-D

There are plenty of books in the market.

Over the weekend, i can list few for you but not all books gave 100% account.

You can get those books at Odusote bookstore in Ibadan and CSS in lagos.

@Dr Kitaun

I enjoyed 2nd republic o, maybe because Ibadan is the main "headquarters" then. The national chairman of NPN(the-then ruling party) lives and operate in Ibadan. Baba Awo, Ige and other progressives is also connected to Ibadan.

Its party party everyday in Ibadan.

Do you remember that when the millitary were chasing all the politicians, they were a "supposedly-water tanker" in Adelakun's house filled with #20 notes.?

Who is Adedubu where Busari Adelakun dey?
Re: Rubbish! Neither Awo Nor Adesanya Was Yoruba Leader –akinjide by DrKitaun(m): 1:47pm On May 27, 2008
Akolawole:

@Tayo-D

There are plenty of books in the market.

Over the weekend, i can list few for you but not all books gave 100% account.

You can get those books at Odusote bookstore in Ibadan and CSS in lagos.

@Dr Kitaun

I enjoyed 2nd republic o, maybe because Ibadan is the main "headquarters" then. The national chairman of NPN(the-then ruling party) lives and operate in Ibadan. Baba Awo, Ige and other progressives is also connected to Ibadan.

Its party party everyday in Ibadan.

Do you remember that when the millitary were chasing all the politicians, they were a "supposedly-water tanker" in Adelakun's house filled with #20 notes.?

Who is Adedubu where Busari Adelakun dey?

@egbon Akola

gone are those days . . . . grin

who born Adedibu well dat time ?

remember the penkelemesi years
Re: Rubbish! Neither Awo Nor Adesanya Was Yoruba Leader –akinjide by mrjuwon: 2:06pm On May 27, 2008
I can't really say much on this dude Akinjide as an eighties baby. But i shall give you the view of a few 80s. You might not share it.
1) As a yoruba boy, I did not seem to think Yoruba had any ruler apart from the traditional ruler. You can not equate a politician to be the leader of a race. Too abstract. So what happens to the hausa people, and other tribes in the political party that Awo & the rest of the Rotary club you all mentioned headed. Does that mean Yoruba people are the leaders of their tribe? On that instance, I agree with Akinjide.

2) I respect Awo and the other leaders and all they did, but this is 2008 and I am sorry all they are good for to me is rememberance on Sallah day and christmas with my dad about the good ole days. Right now we need fresh blood and the old men are not letting us. The young leaders in Nigeria are busy trying to make ends meet. Its time to let go. There is always a museum to remember what Awo did. Right now we need action. Obasanjo has done his "good" damage, we need action. Isn't it funny no one is kicking up a fuss about former military rulers who stole and looted nigeria dry coming back in Civilian costumes. I still am in shock we let Obasanjo win the last terms. What next, Babangida would run and we all say yes

3) As a young guy all I need is someone with vision, unless Awo is coming back then please let it go. Let them rest in peace. Do not take what Akinjide is saying out of context. He had a point. Just cuz he did whatever he did (which I do not knwo what he did) does not mean he does not have gumption which plainly a lot of people lack. And infact I am going to say it, Awo was not exactly a saint either. MKO was not exactly a saint. Murtala was not exactly a saint. Please lets stop droning on about them and make a concious effort to start improving the country. Na group effort.

Still a Proud Yoruba boy
Peace
Re: Rubbish! Neither Awo Nor Adesanya Was Yoruba Leader –akinjide by mrjuwon: 2:12pm On May 27, 2008
P.S. - If anyone bothered to read the full article, he still makes sense albeit he brags a tad bit, but sense is sense. He makes really good points
Re: Rubbish! Neither Awo Nor Adesanya Was Yoruba Leader –akinjide by DrKitaun(m): 2:29pm On May 27, 2008
since u know so little about Akinjide, u can as well bottle it tongue

its obvious u dont even have a clue what leadership entails embarassed

Awo was more than a politician, he was an enigma, he was almost being worshipped in those days, he was no saint but he was an embodiment of integrity in service, transparency and rescourcefullness cool

we can never equate Awo that tutored leaders with Abiola nor OBJ . . .Awo was a blessing to the nation whereas even Kings then saw him as an inspiration to them . . .

AWO WAS A BORN LEADER ! HE ACTED AS ONE TIL HE DIED AND GIVE OR TAKE AKINJIDE WOULD NEVER BE IN THE 1ST X1 OF YORUBA LEADERS, SO HE SHOULD HONORABLY SHUT IT ! cool
Re: Rubbish! Neither Awo Nor Adesanya Was Yoruba Leader –akinjide by mrjuwon: 2:48pm On May 27, 2008
Ya ya, you have said that. I hope Nigeria has improved within the last 5 minutes of you admitting that awo was almighty, oh wait whats this No. No light no water, no nothing. Obviously you did not read my reply. Feel free to list the mighty mighty things Awo did. i shall not dismiss them. i shall add them to my fact and figures on what Awo did that has been laid to waste. So why not pull your pants up and lets focus on improving Nigeria. In UK, no one forgot Churchhill, but right now they are focusing on the future. The Labour problem and we have another party (conservatives) forthcoming with solution albeit dodgy but still forthcoming with it. They are not sitting on their asses lamenting about Churchhill and how great he was. They are not whining about it.
Re: Rubbish! Neither Awo Nor Adesanya Was Yoruba Leader –akinjide by Akolawole(m): 4:19pm On May 27, 2008
@Mr Juwon

I still dont get your point.

By the way, what is Chief Akinjide's point?

Not even Dr Omololu Olunloyo could say what Mr 12 2/3rd says

(1) (2) (Reply)

By 2050 The Population Of Nigeria Will Be 402 Million / Oldest Man In The World?? Aged 170 Yrs & Still Alive From Ekiti State / Edo PDP Gov. Aspirant Ize Iyamu Speaks On Why He Was Expelled From Uniben(video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.