Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,365 members, 7,780,998 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:14 AM

... - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / ... (3303 Views)

The Historic City Of Zaria / The Rise Of African Films / Nollywood Is Preserving The African Film - Nigerian Films (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

... by Nobody: 4:16am On Jul 20, 2013
Delete.

6 Likes

Re: ... by Nomski0(f): 6:20am On Jul 20, 2013
I cant believe i read every single word......I'm in complete awe.
You captured the shallow attitude of the black race.....the need to play safe and easy.
Most hollywood blockbuster movies are all novel adaptation. The said novel must have topped the list on new york times/usa today bestselling list.
Put such novels on screen and you've got a major motion picture. Nigeria has writers winning prices within and outside the continet but they still stick to evil stepmother/village fairy tale romance story line.
Little or no creativity runs in the black race and its something we have to overcome.

Do you have any website i can read some of your work?

2 Likes

Re: ... by PAPAAFRICA: 11:44am On Jul 20, 2013
Will smith was suppose to make a film about nubias conquering of egypt starring him as taharqa(I think) called the last pharaoh but I don't think it got off the ground.
Re: ... by anonymous6(f): 11:53am On Jul 20, 2013
well when it comes to Hollywood, the number one film industry in the world they only cater to movies that the majority of americans will watch since they are a American film industry, and the majority are white americans and the reality is many white americans like ancient or middle age European history. Also Hollywood is run by white americans for the most part, so I wouldn't blame african americans per say but I feel the only way Blacks from each culture can showcase their own movies of their culture is by doing their own movie industries. The Indians, Hispanics and Asians have their own industries. However when it comes to african americans, it is not their duty to talk about non-African american cultures in their movies because that is no longer their culture any more, and so they don't feel entitled to even venture into that, I feel it is up to foreign blacks to mobilize and start thinking about that. Those movies you posted(ex. precious, Tyler Perry) are the realities or issues that is in the african american community. To me ancient african history will be shown on the big screen in the near future by black africans themselves, examples:

Hamza(ancient Hausa times)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As6VHmlvCME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0rtN6puC78
Re: ... by PAPAAFRICA: 11:58am On Jul 20, 2013
Lol I actaully seen your comment on the youtube video about it.
Re: ... by anonymous6(f): 12:15pm On Jul 20, 2013
Nomski0: I cant believe i read every single word......I'm in complete awe.
You captured the shallow attitude of the black race.....the need to play safe and easy.
Most hollywood blockbuster movies are all novel adaptation. The said novel must have topped the list on new york times/usa today bestselling list.
Put such novels on screen and you've got a major motion picture. Nigeria has writers winning prices within and outside the continet but they still stick to evil stepmother/village fairy tale romance story line.
Little or no creativity runs in the black race and its something we have to overcome.

It depends to a extent on whether it is the English Nollywood industry vs. the yoruba industry for example and whether it is a ancient nigerian or west african film or not, examples:

Yemoja(yoruba film about ancient yoruba goddess)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq74SyE8rsE

I sing of a well(ancient Ghanian movie)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67eVQijlbx4
Re: ... by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jul 20, 2013
Nomski0: I cant believe i read every single word......I'm in complete awe.

Thanks! smiley

And no I do not have a website. Sorry...
Re: ... by Nobody: 3:21pm On Jul 20, 2013
PAPA AFRICA: Will smith was suppose to make a film about nubias conquering of egypt starring him as taharqa(I think) called the last pharaoh but I don't think it got off the ground.

That movie was first heard about in 2010 and was said to be released in 2013. Its 2013 and nothing...Not only that we've heard absolutely nothing of the film in the past years. So we can forget about that film.
Re: ... by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jul 20, 2013
anonymous6: well when it comes to Hollywood, the number one film industry in the world they only cater to movies that the majority of americans will watch since they are a American film industry, and the majority are white americans and the reality is many white americans like ancient or middle age European history. Also Hollywood is run by white americans for the most part, so I wouldn't blame african americans per say but I feel the only way Blacks from each culture can showcase their own movies of their culture is by doing their own movie industries. The Indians, Hispanics and Asians have their own industries. However when it comes to african americans, it is not their duty to talk about non-African american cultures in their movies because that is no longer their culture any more, and so they don't feel entitled to even venture into that, I feel it is up to foreign blacks to mobilize and start thinking about that. Those movies you posted(ex. precious, Tyler Perry) are the realities or issues that is in the african american community. To me ancient african history will be shown on the big screen in the near future by black africans themselves, examples:

Hamza(ancient Hausa times)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As6VHmlvCME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0rtN6puC78

I disagree with you to an extent...Every African history before the Atlantic slave trade is history to African Americans and other diasporains. Since we descent from Africans. If White Americans can make films and TV shows about European history then why can't African Americans do it for Africans history. So yes African Americans and other diasporains DO have the entitlement to talk about African history if they choose to. Nobody is talking about culture, but history. That has not stopped white Canadians(who are not even descendants from Northern Europeans) from making TV shows about the Vikings, now has it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lccY5gXYm4I

As for Hollywood, no white American can relate to black person growing up in the hood selling dope, yet those movies make millions. White Americans didn't see a problem with Django Unchained either, where White people were basically demonized.

As descendants of Africans, the diasporains have every right to talk about African history before the Atlantic slave trade. Danny Glover who is not even Haitian wanted to make a movie about the great Toussaint Louverture, but nobody supported him but Hugo Chavez and now Chavez is dead. Not even Oprah would not support him.

And now heres where I agree with you...Especially when it comes to African Americans. Yes I agree 100% that the average AA does not feel a connection to Africa. Many AA's do NOT even like to be called African. Those that due talk about African history are those that are interested in it(like me), or the Afrocentrics and Pan Africanist.

A good example is, black history focus use to be about early africa and blacks in America, but now it's only about blacks in america and really no talk about Ancient Egypt, Mali or Nubia and every year it's focus seems to get more and more narrow.

Its just that most AA's are too westernized and enjoy the riches of the western world and have become in loved with it. Many will talk about European history like the Greeks or Romans before the Ancient Nubians, Malians or Swahili people.

But of course this has a lot to do with media brainwashing, I mean they NEVER show anything positive about Africa in the states, so you really can't blame them. So Africa may be the future for African history films. But most African countries still do not have the resources to make top tier African films...Something that is comparable to 300.

And also those African Americans that are interested in African history SHOULD be given the right to make African historic films if they choose to. It has worked before when Africa is shown in a positive light and many African Americans loved it. One example Hidden Color by Tariq Nasheed which was basically a documentary about African civilizations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noFwrMOF2lI

Now even though the film was very Afrocentric, with a bunch of inaccuracies. The principle is that Black Americans LOVED the film and kept saying that "I never knew Africa had a great history like that. Why have they hidden this from us?" That definitely proves African Americans would love an African historic film that showed African history in a positive light and it would get away with the media brainwashing that was put on AA's. And probably more AA's would be interested in African history. I mean before the movie 300, white Americans cared NOTHING for the Greeks or Spartans, but after the film many became interested in Spartan history and this is from experience.

As for Tyler Perry movies and Precious again those movies have been put down our throats for the longest. It is NOT the reality for me and some other black people in America...Trust me. Again we need something NEW. Black people were enslaved by white and that was a reality. Do you see white people drowning those type of movies down white peoples throats? Yeah there are slave movies made by white people, but they don't drown it down other white peoples throats.
Re: ... by anonymous6(f): 4:32pm On Jul 20, 2013
KidStranglehold:

I disagree with you to an extent...Every African history before the Atlantic slave trade is history to African Americans and other diasporains. Since we descent from Africans. If White Americans can make films and TV shows about European history then why can't African Americans do it for Africans history. So yes African Americans and other diasporains DO have the entitlement to talk about African history if they choose to. Nobody is talking about culture, but history. That has not stopped white Canadians(who are not even descendants from Northern Europeans) from making TV shows about the Vikings, now has it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lccY5gXYm4I

As for Hollywood, no white American can relate to black person growing up in the hood selling dope, yet those movies make millions. White Americans didn't see a problem with Django Unchained either, where White people were basically demonized.

As descendants of Africans, the diasporains have every right to talk about African history before the Atlantic slave trade. Danny Glover who is not even Haitian wanted to make a movie about the great Toussaint Louverture, but nobody supported him but Hugo Chavez and now Chavez is dead. Not even Oprah would not support him.

And now heres where I agree with you...Especially when it comes to African Americans. Yes I agree 100% that the average AA does not feel a connection to Africa. Many AA's do NOT even like to be called African. Those that due talk about African history are those that are interested in it(like me), or the Afrocentrics and Pan Africanist.

A good example is, black history focus use to be about early africa and blacks in America, but now it's only about blacks in america and really no talk about Ancient Egypt, Mali or Nubia and every year it's focus seems to get more and more narrow.

Its just that most AA's are too westernized and enjoy the riches of the western world and have become in loved with it. Many will talk about European history like the Greeks or Romans before the Ancient Nubians, Malians or Swahili people.

But of course this has a lot to do with media brainwashing, I mean they NEVER show anything positive about Africa in the states, so you really can't blame them. So Africa may be the future for African history films. But most African countries still do not have the resources to make top tier African films...Something that is comparable to 300.

And also those African Americans that are interested in African history SHOULD be given the right to make African historic films if they choose to. It has worked before when Africa is shown in a positive light and many African Americans loved it. One example Hidden Color by Tariq Nasheed which was basically a documentary about African civilizations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noFwrMOF2lI

Now even though the film was very Afrocentric, with a bunch of inaccuracies. The principle is that Black Americans LOVED the film and kept saying that "I never knew Africa had a great history like that. Why have they hidden this from us?" That definitely proves African Americans would love an African historic film that showed African history in a positive light and it would get away with the media brainwashing that was put on AA's. And probably more AA's would be interested in African history. I mean before the movie 300, white Americans cared NOTHING for the Greeks or Spartans, but after the film many became interested in Spartan history and this is from experience.

As for Tyler Perry movies and Precious again those movies have been put down our throats for the longest. It is NOT the reality for me and some other black people in America...Trust me. Again we need something NEW. Black people were enslaved by white and that was a reality. Do you see white people drowning those type of movies down white peoples throats? Yeah there are slave movies made by white people, but they don't drown it down other white peoples throats.

I'm not saying AA's can't tell the stories of ancient Africa but I feel a african would better showcase a ancient african movie then a AA, the samething with a AA would be better telling and making a movie of harriet tubman then a african. When it comes to white americans telling movies about Europeans, well their is no problem in them telling their stories as well from their ancestors in Europe but many of these movies have a majority European cast and influence, but if it was a movie about ancient africa by AAs that wouldn't be the case, first of all as you pointed out some afrocentric influence's would be intermingled with it, for example look at coming to America, there are somethings in that movie that have nothing to do with africa, it was a great movie by a great cast, but the movie was a interpretation of what AAs felt about africa to a extent.

You are right with your assessment of AAs and their views of ancient african history, and etc. However as you said Africa will be the future of African history films and that it hasn't got into the level of movies such as 300 but the african movies industries are still growing and continue to progress at a faster rate so I feel it won't take long before you see a industry like Nollywood and others to start to get into that level.

When it comes to Tyler Perry and precious, you have some points but those movies are embraced by the african american community to a extent, I have seen some tyler perry movies and a few were ok but you are correct it is getting sort of repetitious and being rammed into black american throats as you said.
Re: ... by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jul 20, 2013
anonymous6:

I'm not saying AA's can't tell the stories of ancient Africa but I feel a african would better showcase a ancient african movie then a AA, the samething with a AA would be better telling and making a movie of harriet tubman then a african. When it comes to white americans telling movies about Europeans, well their is no problem in them telling their stories as well from their ancestors in Europe but many of these movies have a majority European cast and influence, but if it was a movie about ancient africa by AAs that wouldn't be the case, first of all as you pointed out some afrocentric influence's would be intermingled with it, for example look at coming to America, there are somethings in that movie that have nothing to do with africa, it was a great movie by a great cast, but the movie was a interpretation of what AAs felt about africa to a extent.

I can not disagree with this post. Like I said in the OP...black people in America really do not do much research.
Re: ... by anonymous6(f): 4:48pm On Jul 20, 2013
KidStranglehold:

I can not disagree with this post. Like I said in the OP...black people in America really do not do much research.

true but black americans as yourself are showing it is not all AAs that think that way, your topic is very good though and should be debated because to be honest I am a big fan of game of thrones, downtown abbey, lord of the rings and etc and have the DVDs but don't own the movie precious(I have seen it just once) or watch gangster themed(italian and/or AA) or slavery AA themed movies to much, not my cup of tea but I have seen Django though and it was a excellent movie.
Re: ... by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jul 20, 2013
anonymous6:

true but black americans as yourself are showing it is not all AAs that think that way, your topic is very good though and should be debated because to be honest I am a big fan of game of thrones, downtown abbey, lord of the rings and etc and have the DVDs but don't own the movie precious(I have seen it just once) or watch gangster themed(italian and/or AA) or slavery AA themed movies to much, not my cup of tea but I have seen Django though and it was a excellent movie.

I'm part Haitian also. smiley

And yeah Django Unchained was an interesting movie. All I am asking is for African Americans and other people of African descent to try and be diverse. Its okay of you make the black dramas and comedy films but like I said before try to venture out and challenge yourself.
Re: ... by PhysicsQED(m): 12:18am On Jul 21, 2013
Interesting topic. I talked about this sort of thing in the GOT discussion thread in the TV/Movies section a while back. Just for the record though, I should point out that Benioff is not the author or creator of Game of Thrones. He's the showrunner and producer who, along with D.B. Weiss, brought the material to a TV audience. The creator and author of GOT is George R.R. Martin.

The perception which most people (of any race) have of precolonial Africa is pretty far off the mark (in my experiences at least) so a great TV show or some really good historically based movies could go some way toward correcting that perception. Even the map you posted earlier of the kingdoms in Africa is wildly inaccurate, mostly because it omits so many interesting and important kingdoms.

But the real issue is actually a lack of well written and creative fictional writing that is based on medieval and ancient Africa and a lack of funding. The people who are most likely to be willing to fund such movies, i.e. black people - whether in Africa or outside of Africa - usually don't have the funds to make a high quality movie or TV show based on any part of African history. I'm also not saying that non-blacks who do have the funds would never fund any such movie or show (George Lucas funded Red Tails, but the film didn't get good reviews or do well at the box office), but I think that non-black producers and executives would be much more likely to fund historical films/shows with a European or Asian background rather than an African background because they relate to that stuff personally and because they might feel that they will have a larger audience that way.

The third problem, although less of an issue than the two previous problems listed above, is that a lot of research and reading would have to go into doing any story based on any time period in ancient Mali, Nubia, Kongo, etc. in order to actually have a good foundation/basis for any historically inspired story. And the kind of people that do the studying and research and have a good grasp of much of the relevant material aren't necessarily going to be fiction writers in their spare time nor are they usually going to be in contact with or in collaboration with talented fiction writers.

1 Like

Re: ... by Denise216(f): 6:00am On Jul 21, 2013
We really need a moment of honesty here. Few black people anywhere are ready to embrace the sheer humanity of Africans in antiquity. Any real depiction of greed, despair, lust, jealousy, deceit and other emotions/desires/actions would be considered offensive despite the fact they were omnipresent and the driving force behind (West) Africa's major civilizations. Most of African history is taught and repeated by Blacks, even on the continent, from a tainted perspective to prove Black ingenuity and subsequent progress to non-Blacks, not a celebration of unique cultural synthesis and adaption among Black People before European and Arab influences.

If a Black version of medieval fantasy were conceived and adequately funded it would be rejected; considered sleazy, demonic, and exploitative. So the idea that Blacks "just need their own" or a sense of pride is less than objective-and a convenient excuse.
Re: ... by PhysicsQED(m): 8:39am On Jul 21, 2013
Denise216: Few black people anywhere are ready to embrace the sheer humanity of Africans in antiquity. Any real depiction of greed, despair, lust, jealousy, deceit and other emotions/desires/actions would be considered offensive despite the fact they were omnipresent and the driving force behind (West) Africa's major civilizations.

I'm not sure I follow. Perhaps you could elaborate.

Most of African history is taught and repeated by Blacks, even on the continent, from a tainted perspective to prove Black ingenuity and subsequent progress to non-Blacks, not a celebration of unique cultural synthesis and adaption among Black People before European and Arab influences.

Actually I think it's the case that some of African history is taught from a perspective that attempts to prove the existence of black ingenuity in the past to other black people. You'd be surprised to find out that the people who insist on the existence of one particular image of all of Africa in the past are sometimes other black people.

I'm not sure how African history is taught all across the African continent, but it seems quite clear from their publications that African researchers and historians in Africa are interested in a lot more than just showcasing ingenuity to whatever non-blacks might have an interest in ancient black history. They are very interested in the finer historical details and in the actual cultures of their own people and other African peoples.

If a Black version of medieval fantasy were conceived and adequately funded it would be rejected; considered sleazy, demonic, and exploitative.

That's possible, depending on one's audience. But if one doesn't try first, one can't be certain of how people will react. I think the quality of a film or show (writing/storyline, acting, costumes, directing, originality, etc.) based on any period in African history would be the main factor in determining whether or not the product was praised or rejected.
Re: ... by taharqa2: 7:38pm On Jul 21, 2013
@OP, this is d same question that I hv been asking myself for the longest time....
Re: ... by Nobody: 10:45pm On Jul 21, 2013
PhysicsQED: Interesting topic. I talked about this sort of thing in the GOT discussion thread in the TV/Movies section a while back. Just for the record though, I should point out that Benioff is not the author or creator of Game of Thrones. He's the showrunner and producer who, along with D.B. Weiss, brought the material to a TV audience. The creator and author of GOT is George R.R. Martin.

The perception which most people (of any race) have of precolonial Africa is pretty far off the mark (in my experiences at least) so a great TV show or some really good historically based movies could go some way toward correcting that perception. Even the map you posted earlier of the kingdoms in Africa is wildly inaccurate, mostly because it omits so many interesting and important kingdoms.

But the real issue is actually a lack of well written and creative fictional writing that is based on medieval and ancient Africa and a lack of funding. The people who are most likely to be willing to fund such movies, i.e. black people - whether in Africa or outside of Africa - usually don't have the funds to make a high quality movie or TV show based on any part of African history. I'm also not saying that non-blacks who do have the funds would never fund any such movie or show (George Lucas funded Red Tails, but the film didn't get good reviews or do well at the box office), but I think that non-black producers and executives would be much more likely to fund historical films/shows with a European or Asian background rather than an African background because they relate to that stuff personally and because they might feel that they will have a larger audience that way.

The third problem, although less of an issue than the two previous problems listed above, is that a lot of research and reading would have to go into doing any story based on any time period in ancient Mali, Nubia, Kongo, etc. in order to actually have a good foundation/basis for any historically inspired story. And the kind of people that do the studying and research and have a good grasp of much of the relevant material aren't necessarily going to be fiction writers in their spare time nor are they usually going to be in contact with or in collaboration with talented fiction writers.

Great post!

@taharqa2

Me too. Which is why I had to create this thread.
Re: ... by Nobody: 5:13am On Jul 22, 2013
KidStranglehold: I'm part Haitian also. smiley

Funny how you threw that in there... undecided

anyway... its up to africans/blacks themselves to promote themselves imo, no one is going to do it for them.

1 Like

Re: ... by MrsChima(f): 2:02pm On Jul 22, 2013
H-Star89:

anyway... its up to africans/blacks themselves to promote themselves imo, no one is going to do it for them.

I agree. However Africans and Blacks around the world have a complex relationship with not telling the truth nor accepting the truth.

I laugh at Black Awareness Movement. .you can't lead movements with blind people.
Re: ... by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jul 22, 2013
H-Star89:

Because I am. smiley

H-Star89:

True.
Re: ... by BlackKenichi(m): 6:13pm On Sep 28, 2016
KidStranglehold:
This is going to be an extremely long rant which is definitely going to upset some people. People of African descent, especially African Americans who are well versed in black/African history always ask this question. Why are there not enough films/movies about REAL black history. Black history that goes beyond the Atlantic slave trade. Black history that is positive and shows people of African descent in a positive light. Films that shows the history of people of African descent that is not non to the public eye. Where are the black films about Queen Nefertiti, King Taharqa and his rule over Ancient Egypt, the Ethiopian empire of Axum, the great and wealthy king Mansa Musa, the rich states of the Swahili coast, the mighty Ashanti people, the brave Queen Nzinga, Saint Maurice, Haitian revolution,etc,etc...The list goes on and you get my point.
I mean surely Africa has limitless of stories to tell. Is Africa not the birthplace of humanity?

Didn't Africa not house many great and amazing civilizations?
I agree with the OP 100%.
Nothing more to add.
We SSA peoples need to make our own movies and novels based on African cultures, histories, legends, heroes etc.

Btw has anybody seen the movie "Njinga Rainha de Angola"/"Nzinga, Queen of Angola"

It's pretty good. Not to mention it was actually made in Angola by Angolans. This is want I want to see more of. Why can't Nigerians produce a movie based on Nigerian cultures, histories, mythos, heroes etc?

2 Likes

Re: ... by Nobody: 7:52pm On Sep 28, 2016
It's very simple. They don't make these movies because they won't sell. It's not research or laziness that's hindering studios from funding these movies. In a white majority country whites will hardly see a movie about black history except movies about slavery be it white guilt or racism because they only prefer the portrayal of blacks in a weak role. In the international market Asians and Europeans who make up a huge portion of American movie market these days also won't pay to watch these movies. The African market which could be harnessed has unfortunately not developed to the level that it can contribute to such films. Heck we only have few functioning cinemas, and very few people that can afford to pay to watch these movie. So in the end you'll hardly find a big budget all black movie that actually does well in the box office and that's what it's all about, making money.
Re: ... by Nobody: 7:55pm On Sep 28, 2016
BlackKenichi:

I agree with the OP 100%.
Nothing more to add.
We SSA peoples need to make our own movies and novels based on African cultures, histories, legends, heroes etc.

Btw has anybody seen the movie "Njinga Rainha de Angola"/"Nzinga, Queen of Angola"

It's pretty good. Not to mention it was actually made in Angola by Angolans. This is want I want to see more of. Why can't Nigerians produce a movie based on Nigerian cultures, histories, mythos, heroes etc?

Such movies are made, I know for a fact kannywood makes such movies but let's be honest, these movies are low budget, poorly shot and can hardly make any impact on the world or the lives of black people.

A more viable option would be to call on Hollywood directors like spike Lee and actors like denzel who have the star power to draw a crowd to partake in such projects.

(1) (Reply)

Top 10 States That Has The Most Beautiful Girls / The Meaning Of Adelakun / You Lazy ( Intellectual) African Scum!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.