Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,801 members, 7,806,232 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:19 PM

Short Story: Fearless Dream Fighter - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Short Story: Fearless Dream Fighter (952 Views)

Americanah - Chimamanda Adichie's Fearless Novel And My Thoughts On It. / Bashorun Gaa - Cruel Tyrant Or Misunderstood Freedom Fighter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Short Story: Fearless Dream Fighter by peteremu(m): 6:03pm On Jul 20, 2013
CHAPTER ONE

I edged around the side of the building; dressed for the occasion. I could hear the sound of men barking orders in the near distance. I crept in the shadow of the dark until I could see the outline of men offloading bags of unknown contents on to another trailer.

I quickly fished into my bag and brought out the night vision lens and with it, I could see clearly.

There were six men working tirelessly while two men stood on guard; from the look on the face of the guards, I can tell the Mafia put them there because they knew trouble could brew.

I smiled to myself, as I laid down the bag on the ground, creeping forward, and making sure I was hidden from view. I crawled on until I was close to them. I felt the butt of my gun in the holster, then pulled it out.

I stood up in a hurry and jumped out of hiding into full view.

"No one move a muscle," I barked in a tough voice.

All the men froze, including those offloading the bags. They two tough looking guards exchanged glances as they tried to reach for their guns.

"Not so fast," I said as I rented the silent air with a bullet, "the next one will be in between your eyes," I warned sternly.

"Drop your guns with two fingers and slide them over to me, now" I ordered.

They obeyed and slid them to me.

I picked them up, not looking away from them. I removed the bullets and put them in my pocket.

"Now that we are comfortable," I began, easing up, "Let's see what's in the bags. You," I pointed my gun at one of the men who had by now was shivering and mumbling something in Pidgin English.

"Me... me..." he stammered, touching his chest.

"Open that bag," I ordered pointing to the bag at his feet.

"Yes sir," he said and untied the bag.

The content spilled on the ground, it shone in the bright light. It was gold coins; lots of them and judging by the number of bags in the trucks, it would be worth a fortune.

One of the guard shot an angry stare at me, "You will pay for this Tunde," he barked.

"Hey! shut your trap," I said pointing the gun at him.

"You are only tough with your mouth when you have a gun," said the other guard.

"I can take you both with my eyes blindfolded," I said confidently.

"In your dreams, little man!" said the first guard as they both burst out laughing.

"You want a demonstration right?" I said as I pulled out the bullets in the gun and threw the gun aside.

"You are a DEAD MEAT!" said one of the giants as he flew at me.

Now, I have heard tall people move awkwardly and slowly, but this one didn't move slowly; it was like a bullet shot you don't see. He flew at me and rammed me to the wall.

I felt the air punctured out of my lungs. He pinned me to the wall, while the other giant threw a punch--that was as big as a bag of Dangote Cement-- I managed to wriggle my head aside but I wasn't fast enough and the blow exploded on my left ear.

I heard the sound of soundless whispering filtering into my damaged ear.

The giant had lost his balance since his blow didn't connect properly. I slammed my right knee to the jaw of the giant locking my hands to my waist; I felt him loosened his grip and I struggled to loosen my hand before the other giant could recover, and I sent him an uppercut that caught him straight by the side of his jaw and the corner of his mouth; he staggered backwards and let go of me.

By now the other giant was rushing out at me with a slightly curved blow, but I was quick to step aside and he missed me by an inch, thereby exposing his jaw and I sent him an uppercut

that caught him by the neckline and he lay spread-eagled on the ground; unconscious.

The other giant gnashed his teeth, touching his bruised mouth where the blow has made a red mark. He came at me with all had, but this time I was ready for him. I expertly ducked as he struck wildly at the empty air, and it dawned on me, I was way out of his league, the true boxer (the other giant has been put out of action) and this one is only a weakling.

I struck at him and made my favourite Bruce Lee sound. The blow hit him across the face sending his head backwards. He came at me again, and he met my fist. He did it three more times and same thing happened, then he changed tactics and was rushing at me, I stepped aside and sent him an uppercut that had all the power I could muster and that sent him sprawling backwards as

he staggered and fell.

I walked slowly and confidently towards him, when I saw him holding a gun. I froze and he slowly stood up, grinning and revealing tobacco stained teeth.

"I heard you were good but didn't know you were this good," he said as he touched the corner of his mouth, blood dripping. He looked past me to the other giant who was still unconscious.

"Any man that could put Ejo out is not a man born of a woman," he said as he spat some blood on the ground.

"Well...every good story has an ending..." he said as he squeezed the trigger.

1 Like

Re: Short Story: Fearless Dream Fighter by siempere(m): 10:28pm On Jul 20, 2013
#teamcreativethinker big ups bro....u're good....joooor...
Re: Short Story: Fearless Dream Fighter by peteremu(m): 7:19pm On Jul 21, 2013
CHAPTER TWO

I closed my eyes, but instead I felt water on my face. I opened my eyes gently and I could see his gun was sprouting water on my face. Then I heard a very familiar voice, one I can’t mistake; that of my wife.

“Wake up lazy man,” she said, “It’s already 8 a.m. and your mates are out huzzling. I just hope you are not going to lose your job”

I stirred on the bed, glanced at the time and then wiped my face.

Omote has a nasty habit of waking me up this way; sprinkling my face with water. What kind of a wife does that to her husband. I grinded my teeth in anger, as I sighed and sat up on bed.

Omote regarded me for a while and then ‘rolled’ away with her heavy frame.

I hate my job; Especially my boss. I hate my life; it is void of excitement, intrigue and action. I hate myself; for allowing somebody to get me out of bed every morning from Monday till Saturday, working and having nothing to show for, and I hate my wife; who has the nasty habit of waking me from bed with water.

I hissed and stood up, then stretched.

A thought sneaked into my heart, ‘If I don’t go to work today, it won’t kill anybody,’ I thought, but this woman, ‘Ah snap!’

I walked zombie like to the bathroom of our self-contained, quickly brushed and took my bath and then dressed up. Without waiting for breakfast, I strolled out into the morning sun on my way to work.

I worked at a factory that I hate with every fibre of my being; but a man has got to earn a living. I only lived my full life in my dream world, but this real world I am living now should have been my dream world. My dream world has been more exciting than I could ever known.

I was fearless. I was feared by all the Mafia I have met—and sure, I have met different kind of adversaries. I have never been beaten; no matter how many they were. But here in the real world; I am a midget trapped in the body of a giant; I am a coward.

There are times I wish I could summon the expertise skill of all the martial world but those times were rare. I had once been beaten by someone one-third of my size and that has sent my confidence into the lowest ebb of fear; the last time I had fought was 20 years ago when I was 14 years old.

I unconsciously crossed the road, lost in my thoughts and was a few inches missed by a car. I gave him the sign and he yelled some unprintable word at me.

I went back to my thinking; I had watched all Jackie Chan movies and I can say in verbatim every line of his. I had watched all Bruce Lee movies and I can mimic every sound he makes; you name it, I have watched countless movies and the only time I can practice them was when I was in Morpheus arms; in my dreams.

I stood in front of the gate. The little gate-man looked me over and hissed as he went back to his post. I sighed, clocked in and then went towards the wing of the factory when I had been enrolled to slave away another day.

I walked towards my machine;

I seemed to be far away from myself today. I felt there should be something better than what I am doing. I felt I am underusing my potentials and there is something I could do about it, but what can I do about it?

My supervisor came a few hours later to check on what we are doing, satisfied we were working on our machine, he left.

“Hey Tunde, what’s up with you?” asked Bola, a small tiny-framed but strong fellow who would have terrorized the world if he had my big frame.

“Hi, nothing much man,” I replied indifferently.

“Is it the problem with the wife? You seem an unhappy man,” he said.

I tried to force a smile, “Nothing much man, and the wife is good.” I replied as I fumbled with my machine.

“Oh ok then,” he said and focused on his machine.

I worked like a zombie; half concentrating on my machine. A few minutes later, the bell rang and it is time for our 30 minutes break. I felt my stomach turn; and then I just remembered I hadn’t eaten anything.

Bola joined me as we both walked towards the cafeteria in complete silence. I observed the noisy and boisterous chatters going on all around till we got to the cafeteria. I walked straight to an empty table while Bola went towards the restaurant and bought some food; Soft drinks and gala.

We both sat at the table and munched away.

“Something is happening to you, want to share with me?” Bola had asked.

I nodded, “Everything is fine man, go back to your meal.”

We ate in silence, then I looked up at him and asked, “Don’t you sometimes think you are better than what you are currently doing?”

He smiled wryly, “I do all the times, is that what is bugging you?”

“Not only that.” I said, “But I feel there should be something I should be doing right now that I am not doing and that is what is keeping me in bondage.”

“Ah… same old story my father once told me,” he said and took a big bite out of his gala.

“I am stuck at a job I don’t like. I am stuck with a boss I don’t like. I am stuck with a life I would gladly change. I am stuck in a body that seems not to be mine and man, I am bored with my unexciting life.” I rasped.

“Hey! Don’t let it bother you. What you have described happens to the best of us, and you know what, there is nothing we can really do about it.” He said.

And then something exploded in my head.

I looked at him straight in the eyes, “Bola, there is something I can do about my life and I am doing something about it right now.” I said as I stood up.

I could see his eyes darting forward. I marched out of the cafeteria and walked towards the administrative blocks where the Manager’s office is. Bola ran after me, cautioning me to slow down to think about whatever action I am about to carry out.

I ignored him and went into the Office. The Secretary saw me and stood up to block my way.

“Oga is not in the Office,” she said.

“Get out of my way before I slam my fist into your pretty face!” I barked at her, she literally dived out of my way as I entered into the office.

The Manager was with a girl who sat on his lap; she jumped up like a needle has just pricked her.

“Who the hell are you” asked the Manager.

“I want a raise,” I said, ignoring the question, “and I want it now.”

“Who are you?” he asked, looking angry, he was not as big as I was but he looked tough.

“I want a raise,” I repeated, looking at him squarely in the eyes.

“Okay, calm down!” He managed to say, “Come sit down,” he pointed towards a seat and I sat my bulk into it.

“How exactly do you want me to help you?” he asked.

I began to sense something was happening, when I heard voices in the corridor. Just then the door burst open and two security men came in. the small man I met in the morning and another one with a huge frame like mine.

“Get this idiot out of my office,” barked the Manager.

I slung my fist at his face and his head hit the wall, he fell backwards and disappeared under the table. The big Security man jumped at me, I was past caring and I ducked to one side and sent my massive foot into his stomach; he lashed out in pain and fell to the ground.

The small man’s eyes became alert but I saw he was no threat. He eased back towards the door and then ran out of the office. I turned to look around; and I could see the Manager’s face peeping under the table. I beckoned to him with my finger.

“I WANT A RAISE,” I said.

“You… you will have it.” He replied

I hissed at him and walked out of the Office; the Secretary who had been watching what was happening through the open door, bolted out of the door when she saw me and I saw Bola standing at a safe distance.

Bola half ran to meet me as I walked away from the Office block.

“What.. What have you done?” he asked in a shrill voice.

“I wanted to know if I ask for more whether its possible for me to get it,” I said and then walked towards my machine. I changed out of my work clothes and then walked towards the gate, leaving the company work forever.

Now that I have established that I am not a weakling, it is time to live up to my true potential. I smiled triumphantly to myself as I walked towards the bus stop to board a cab home.

Just then a white van parked in front of me and three tough looking thugs jumped out of the open door and one aimed a gun at me and the other two half dragged me into the van. Then something exploded behind the back of my head and I fell unconscious.
Re: Short Story: Fearless Dream Fighter by Neduzze5(m): 12:50pm On Jul 22, 2013
Phew! Wow, Omo see Action film oh!

That was good man, the spacing, paragraphs, sense of description and the action!

Ride on please!
Re: Short Story: Fearless Dream Fighter by peteremu(m): 11:02pm On Jul 24, 2013
CHAPTER 3:

I blinked rapidly and tried to open my eyes. My head was pounding like I have just been ran down on the tarmac by a BRT bus.

I struggled to open my eyes and I could hardly see anything, but in a few seconds, everything became clear. My hands were tied to a chair in a dimly lit room. No one was around. my head was pounding and my mind still in unconscious mode and trying to wake up from it's slumber.

I could hear some people whispering, not far from where I sat. I tried to pick what they were saying, but they seem far away from me or my mind is still not fully awake.

Just then, I heard some footsteps approaching and I heard someone greet another person in pidgin English.

"Oga, we don bring the idiot," he said.

"Good job," he said.

I could hear him approaching, but I was facing the wall and turning around was quite impossible for me. He came close and slap my head from behind, then turned the chair to face him.

There were four people standing in front of me. I recognize the three thugs and one stranger.

I quickly sized the stranger up; he was a bald, short man but with a disproportionate arm like that of a gorilla stuck in a monkey's body. He look like someone who had seen the ghost.

"Who is this?" he asked, his countenance changing and looking at one of the thugs, who obviously is the leader.

"Oga, na the guy wey you say dey sleep with your wife," he said, trying to smile.

"Do you still have the picture I gave you?" he asked.

"Yes," he replied and tapped one of the thug who quickly ran out of the room and the re-emerged holding a picture. He handed it over to the man.

"Let's have some light here," ordered the man.

They changed the dimly disco light into a bright low-energy consuming white bulb and I could see everyone's face.

The man came to me and put the picture close to my face and looked at the three thugs that brought their ugly faces close to see if there is any semblance between the picture and I.

"The guy been resemble the person inside this picture oooo," said the leader of the thug to another, "Abi no be so Tiger?"

"Oga, they are like twins oooo," Tiger replied, looking at the short man.

"The person in this picture is nothing like the person sitting right here now," he said, "you people have kidnapped the wrong person."

"Oga, you said we would meet him exactly 12.00 out of the gate. This na the only person wey dey outside the gate." said the third thug.

"Will you shut up?" barked the man, his countenance changed, "can't you recognize someone by mere looking at the picture. Even if he is the one at the gate, were you not supposed to look at the picture and see if they are in anyway alike?"

"Sorry Oga," apologized the leader of the thug, "we go get the guy."

"Meanwhile cut this one loose and let him go home," he ordered.

The third thug brought out a pen knife and cut the rope off my hands. This time around, my mind has resume full time to thinking. I quickly jumped up and struck a Taichi pose and made my favourite Bruce Lee sound.

"Wetin dey worry dis one?" said the Leader of the thug.

"You have messed with the wrong dude," I said, "and now, you are going to face the fury of my fist."

The Second thug looked around and saw a plank lying close, he picked up the plank and came towards me menacingly. His eyes bloodshot; at this point I panicked and fear jumped into my eyes.

He came at me like lightning and before I could defend myself, he hit me so hard on the shoulder that I felt something explode in my brain. I rushed at him and he side stepped as I ran blindly towards the leader, who slammed his heavy fist into my stomach; I puked all the gala I had eaten.

The third thug, raised me up to my feet and bent me double, before I could see I was in danger, he gave me an upper-cut that rooted me off the ground and I landed on my back.

At this stage, I know I was in danger.

The short man just stood there looking at the action, and from the look on his face, it seems he is enjoying the show.

The three thugs approached me and began kicking me until I was breathless. I think they had broken all my ribs. I regretted I had even struck a pose... I should have just followed them like a lamb.

"What do you intend to do with him?" asked the short man.

"hmm... we go just deal with am, then carry am go throw way put for where we pick am from." said the leader of the thugs.

"Oga, I beg," I managed to say, my ribs hurting like it has just been set on fire, "na small pikin dey worry me. Abeg, make una pity me. Na my sick mama I dey think of."

They all burst into laughter.

"So you fit speak pidgin abi?" mocked one of the thugs.

"Well, dis one go teach you lesson say no be every film you go watch come go practice am outside." said one of the thugs as they were about to resume pounding.

"Hey!" barked someone.

They all turned around in shock, and then standing there with an iron was someone small... Someone in my life whom I last expected to hear his voice. He stood astride holding the iron confidently in his hand.

They all burst out laughing.... If my ribs had giving me a chance, I would have joined them too.

"Today, you don die!" said the third thug as he walked menacingly towards him.

He reached out to grab him and like Bruce Lee, the small man knocked him down. In a seconds, he was knocked down flat cold.

The other two ran towards him and he expertly dodged their blows and with the iron, he had knocked them down expertly.

I could see fear jumping into the eyes of the small man, who was the only one left standing, he was stepping backwards and pleading.

"hmmm... I am sorry sir. I am not part of them...." he pleaded.

"Well, you are going to get what's coming to you," said the small man as he approached him.

I smiled faintly as I slipped into unconsciousness.....
Re: Short Story: Fearless Dream Fighter by sydney01(m): 12:45am On Jul 26, 2013
Lol this is cray. Was that the last chapter??
Re: Short Story: Fearless Dream Fighter by peteremu(m): 6:36am On Jul 28, 2013
No it is not... but no encouragement... The flame has dead... lol grin
Re: Short Story: Fearless Dream Fighter by sydney01(m): 8:02am On Jul 28, 2013
plsssssssssssssssssss, I come here lyk everyday 2 check on it, cld u plsss drop sumfn
Re: Short Story: Fearless Dream Fighter by peteremu(m): 10:39pm On Nov 16, 2013
Man... I am so sorry, but I think you will enjoy the next one... The life of a hustler... More
Re: Short Story: Fearless Dream Fighter by siempere(m): 11:28pm On Nov 16, 2013
well....here's encouragement....pls we need more on this story abeg....oooh....

(1) (Reply)

Ten Years Later Novel / The Virgin Season 2 Complete / The King's Betrayal (A Fictional Story Of Bassa Nge)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.