Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,147 members, 7,780,087 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:29 AM

''born Again'' -what Did Jesus Mean? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / ''born Again'' -what Did Jesus Mean? (12686 Views)

What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "I And The Father Are One" In John 10:30? / How Can One Identify A True Born Again Christian? / What Did Jesus Mean? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

''born Again'' -what Did Jesus Mean? by maximunimpact(m): 10:22am On Jul 21, 2013
''I tell you the truth, unless you are born again, you cannot see the kingdom of God'' - John 3:3 NLT.

The above scripture has been a generally accepted teaching, and yes it is a teaching from our Lord, Jesus Christ. The question is: what exactly did Jesus mean when he told Nichodemus that ''a man must be born again to see the kingdom of God? John 3:3-7

According to the online encyclopedia, the vast majority of christendom believe born again to mean ''to undergo a spiritual rebirth(regeneration) of the human soul or spirit, contrasted with the physical birth everyone experiences. It is a term associated with salvation in christianity. Individuals who profess to be born again often state that they have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

Although Jesus spoke of the need to be ''born again'' to see the kingdom of God, the scriptures reveal that Jesus did not use it in the context in which it became popular, as described in the above definition. Infact, the term ''born again'' was adopted to legitimize a new sort of resurection that began to be taught during the time of the apostles, and spreading rapidly among many of the early greek congregations.

The jews believed in the physical resurrection of the body, although saducees did not; and neither did the greeks. (Luke 20:27; Acts 23:6-8; 17:31,32). Jesus of course believed in the resurrection, for he taught The Father will raise Him up on the third day.

Resurrection was an important feature of Jesus' ministry (1 cor. 15:4-cool apostle Paul also taught resurrection (1 cor. 12-22) its not that the corinthian congregation were rejecting resurrection, but there were some among them who were deviating from the truth by preaching a different sort of resurrection. Hymenaeus and Philetus were of these. These two have been teaching that the resurrection of the dead have alredy taken place, and this is destroying the faith of many(2Tim 2:16-18) this deviation from the truth developed into the popular doctrine of a ''spiritual resurrection''.

The greek philosophy greatly affected the understanding of the cornthian congregation established by Paul. The pegan greeks believe the soul is immortal, they began to explain the resurrection that Jesus taught as ''merely spiritual'' thus teaching that resurrection have alredy occured to them that axept Jesus as their savior.(2Tim 2:17-18)Afterall, since the soul cannot die, neither is there a need for a physical resurrection.(Ezek. 18:4,20) this became a problem that Paul needed to address.

They may have appealed to Paul's own letters as confirming their aguement, ''whch the untaught and unsteady are twisting, as they do also to the rest of the scriptures, to their own peril(2 Peter 3:15-16) take for instance Paul's letter to the greek congregation in Ephesus, which could have been twisted by some to bolster there false teaching, when he wrote: ''and you were dead in the trespasses and sins in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of desobedience - among whom we all lived in the passion of the flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature the children of wrath, like the rest of mankind. But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ - by grace you have been saved - and raised up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus. (Eph. 2:1-6)

Under the influence if the prince of the power of the air, satan, apostates such as Hymenaeus and Philetus could readily currupt the meaning of Paul's words in order to pervert the truth and teach a resurrection different from the one that Jesus and Paul taught. (John 11:25,26; 1Cor. 15:3-8,21,22) it gave rise to ''born again doctrine, which as alredy noted, teaches that the person becomes alive in a spiritual way by means of a spiritual resurrection at the time the person accepts Jesus into his heart. The ''born again'' teaching began to be widely accepted as the necesary means by which all christians go to heaven. The term itself was adopted from Jesus' words to Nichodemus, and the two teachings were married into one doctrine; but Jesus was not teaching any spiritual resurrection when he told Nichodemus that he and the Jews as a nation needed to be born again....................
For the rest and details of the article, please enter this link, you will never regret it because you deserve to know the truth:

Source: http://www.perimeno.ca/print_BornAgain.htm

4 Likes

Re: ''born Again'' -what Did Jesus Mean? by Nobody: 10:34am On Jul 21, 2013
so far so good, reading the entire article now and will make contributions later on.

thanks.
Re: ''born Again'' -what Did Jesus Mean? by italo: 10:48am On Jul 21, 2013
John 3:5: You must be born of WATER and SPIRIT.

BAPTISM!

John 3:22: Jesus went with his apostles to baptise.

2 Likes

Re: ''born Again'' -what Did Jesus Mean? by Nobody: 11:07am On Jul 21, 2013
I thank it means staying away from sin. God have mercy on me o.3rd for that matter.singing Tamuno .
Re: ''born Again'' -what Did Jesus Mean? by Okijajuju1(m): 11:08am On Jul 21, 2013
I dunno....

1 Like

Re: ''born Again'' -what Did Jesus Mean? by Monimatic(m): 11:11am On Jul 21, 2013
To be born again you must"confess
with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and
believe in your heart that God raised
him from the dead, you will be
saved. For it is with your heart that
you believe and are justified, and it
is with your mouth that you confess
and are saved." Romans 10:9-10.
After Adam and Eve disobeyed God, man became a corrupted being and lost his righteousness with God, so every. one born into this world, whether young or old, man or woman, boy or girl is born with nature of sin and corruption which was as a result of Adam and Eve disobiedence, and they were sent out of the garden of Eden because they have lost their righteousness. and have being corrupted with sin.
Please note,righteousness is not forming HOLY HOLY, or be trying to be sin conscious, thaat is the misconception millions of christian have worldwide, many churches and pastors still don't understand righteousness.
RIGHTEOUSNESS is the life of God in the human life, and that life is in his son Jesus Christ, you only get that life and become righteous by confessing Jesus Christ as Lord over your life and believing in your heart that he is the son of God and he died, resurrected and he is sitted at the right hand side of God.
Like I said above by virtue of Adam and Eve disobedience in the garden of Eden, man automatically lost his righteousness with God and carried on a nature of sin, untill you act on Romans 10 vs 9-10, you are not saved yet.
Being born again is different from forgiveness of sin, if you ask for forgiveness of sin and not yet born, then you are not yet saved, many christians,churches and pastors still confuse the concept of FORGIVENESS OF SIN with the concept of BEING BORN AGAIN,do a comprehensive BIBLE STUDY on these two concepts and you will see they are different.
The death of Jesus,,was a means to an end, the kingdom of God is the end it self, by being born again, you become initiated and a citizen of the kingdom of God.
BEING BORN AGAIN, IS YOUR VISA TO ENTER THE KINGDOM OF GOD.
All you do is confess Romans 10 vs 9-10, confess it loud by personalizing it to your self and believing it whole heartedly.
Still in Church(Christ Embassy), see u guys later?

14 Likes

Re: ''born Again'' -what Did Jesus Mean? by gawgeousnezz(f): 11:23am On Jul 21, 2013
Being born again provides you the means to see God's Glory...it explains seeing the kingdom of God but John 3:5 went further to explain that being born of water(baptism) and spirit(Word) then you can ENTER the kingdom of God. So it's not enough to SEE God's kingdom but we need to ENTER into it.... Shalom

3 Likes

Re: ''born Again'' -what Did Jesus Mean? by Jogba(m): 11:23am On Jul 21, 2013
Nyc one @op
Re: ''born Again'' -what Did Jesus Mean? by Brimmie(m): 11:23am On Jul 21, 2013
**yawns**

Oju toti rokun oju toti rodo, Oju toti ri Born Again toun wo Mojo! grin grin

2 Likes

Re: ''born Again'' -what Did Jesus Mean? by Reference(m): 11:25am On Jul 21, 2013
To be born again simply means to 'start life afresh' and the kingdom of God is one under the rule and authority of God. Thus for you to transcend to the rule and authority of God you have simply have to become a new person, start a new life. Everything about you changes.

For example if I change nationality, I become subject to the law and authority of my new country and take on the persona of the inhabitants in thought and acts.

3 Likes

Re: ''born Again'' -what Did Jesus Mean? by Neaman(m): 11:30am On Jul 21, 2013
Born Again! Means to have a spiritual rebirth, a might change of heart and attitude towards righteousness..needless to be born again by a woman to be a Born-again Christain.

1 Like

Re: ''born Again'' -what Did Jesus Mean? by Ghydyon(m): 11:30am On Jul 21, 2013
**yawns** can sum1 tel me wats going on

1 Like

Re: ''born Again'' -what Did Jesus Mean? by switdil(f): 11:31am On Jul 21, 2013
U have to repent,baptize so u could have the holy ghost that ll lead u though the rightoues part.

1 Like

Re: ''born Again'' -what Did Jesus Mean? by point5: 11:31am On Jul 21, 2013
U Most do d wil of his father in heaven,,u kn dos wil nw or u beta read ur bible.
Re: ''born Again'' -what Did Jesus Mean? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 11:35am On Jul 21, 2013
When you are born again naa ni!
When you walk with God, refuse to sin or disobey God again.

2 Likes

Re: ''born Again'' -what Did Jesus Mean? by Reference(m): 11:38am On Jul 21, 2013
gawgeousnezz: Being born again provides you the means to see God's Glory...it explains seeing the kingdom of God but John 3:5 went further to explain that being born of water(baptism) and spirit(Word) then you can ENTER the kingdom of God. So it's not enough to SEE God's kingdom but we need to ENTER into it.... Shalom

There is a bit of a mix up here. In several contexts water symbolises the Word, the personality of Jesus while the Holy Spirit is an entirely seperate entity. Thus to be baptised in water means to immerse oneself in the Word of God. The baptism of the Spirit as in Pentecost is an annointing (an activating ability 'to do'). They are not quite the same thing.
Re: ''born Again'' -what Did Jesus Mean? by Akpaife(m): 11:42am On Jul 21, 2013
@op u r more dan stupid go n ask ur mother nt me,senseless post
Re: ''born Again'' -what Did Jesus Mean? by badassnigga(m): 11:43am On Jul 21, 2013
it means to commit suicide ...and come bak to lyf. fake religion

1 Like

Re: ''born Again'' -what Did Jesus Mean? by Lilnizzy(m): 11:46am On Jul 21, 2013
Xtain and dia wahala sha.... Mtshwwww born afresh ni....OJU tOti ri born again to n wo MOJO lolz Badolee on point jooorr.

1 Like

Re: ''born Again'' -what Did Jesus Mean? by Youngtekkey(m): 11:48am On Jul 21, 2013
the truth about born again is when u forsake sin and took to use righteous life,when u are pure in spirit and doing the things of God
Re: ''born Again'' -what Did Jesus Mean? by Youngtekkey(m): 11:50am On Jul 21, 2013
bad_ass_nigga: it means to commit suicide ...and come bak to lyf. fake religion
may God Forgive U For U Don't Know What U Are Saying God Bless U

1 Like

Re: ''born Again'' -what Did Jesus Mean? by Youngtekkey(m): 11:54am On Jul 21, 2013
Lilnizzy: Xtain and dia wahala sha.... Mtshwwww born afresh ni....OJU tOti ri born again to n wo MOJO lolz Badolee on point jooorr.
God Will Open Ur Eyes To See The Right Path U Can Keep Listening To Ur Wordly And Unclean Song And Again Keep Making JeSt Of URSeLF Thinking U Are Making Jest Of God Well God Will Bless U

2 Likes

Re: ''born Again'' -what Did Jesus Mean? by curfew: 11:54am On Jul 21, 2013
the bible explains itself, but the wise men of this world go to and fro looking for knowledge, deceiving and being deceived. here is the meaning of being born again:

"A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them." (Ezekiel 36:26-27).

forget what the so called pentecostal say that if you confess your sin and accept JESUS, there and then, you are born again. only the CREATOR can create a new man.
Re: ''born Again'' -what Did Jesus Mean? by AbuMikey(m): 11:54am On Jul 21, 2013
E mean say make dem born you a 2nd time!
Re: ''born Again'' -what Did Jesus Mean? by madenigga2dcore(m): 11:55am On Jul 21, 2013
Sermon by de pastor...........back 2 complete later
Re: ''born Again'' -what Did Jesus Mean? by Elevation(m): 11:57am On Jul 21, 2013
curfew: "A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them." (Ezekiel 36:26-27).

well said and until we pray for this we have nt started the Realm of the most high is just so so broad for a silica entity(man) to comprehend thats why i just feel for people who are not in the Word of God and following him wholeheartedly.
Re: ''born Again'' -what Did Jesus Mean? by Tos87(m): 11:59am On Jul 21, 2013
Ţ☹ be born again simply means being baptized of water ãпԃ holy spirit.it baffels ϻё when some belivers refer it Ţ☹ atitudnal(positive) change. nope,our lord Jesus recognises ЂΞ efficacy of baptism that was why he lead by example by getting baptized by saint John ЂΞ baptist.baptism is a rebirth into ЂΞ lordship of our Christ Jesus which ЂΞ faith of every true christain. My brothers in ЂΞ christaindom will always ask ϻё if am " bornagin" ãпԃ my answer is a cap YES..cos Ї have been baptised in ЂΞ name of ЂΞ Father,ЂΞ Son, ãпԃ ЂΞ Holy Ghost. Any sin Ї commit afterwards,Ї then need Ţ☹ plead for Gods mercy ãпԃ forgivness cos as a baptized christain,Ý๏ǖ should love God ãпԃ Ý๏ǖ cand only do that by keeping his commands. So unless a man is Born again(baptised) he can пѻԎ see ЂΞ kingdom of God. Just as our Lord Jesus did...He became man ãпԃ dwelt among us thus was baptised before heaven gave him go ahead for His ministry ѳπ earth Ţ☹ commence(this is my son,in Whom am well pleased)...also u can become Gods son ãпԃ be Pleased by Him only when u ǟяɇ trully baptised.
So those of us asking new convert if they ǟяɇ only born Again..just ask them have they been trully baptised. Thank you

2 Likes

Re: ''born Again'' -what Did Jesus Mean? by MEILYN(m): 12:01pm On Jul 21, 2013
1) Repentance
2) Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins
3) Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.
4) Live a Christ Like life
Re: ''born Again'' -what Did Jesus Mean? by maximunimpact(m): 12:01pm On Jul 21, 2013
DID JESUS SAY THAT THE RESURRECTION WAS ALREDY HERE?

The doctrine of a spiritual resurrection, rather
than the resurrection from actual death of the
physical body, has also found its way into most
Bibles, making even Jesus seem to have taught
it. According to most translations, Jesus is
reported to have said: “Truly, truly, I say to
you, an hour is coming, and is now here,
when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of
God, and those who hear will live.” (John 5:25,
ESV) The New World Translation quotes Jesus'
words similarly: “Most truly I say to you, The
hour is coming, and it is now, when the dead
will hear the voice of the Son of God and those
who have given heed will live.”
The words “and is now here” (English Standard
Version); or “and it is now” (New World
Translation) are recognized to be an
interpolation, that is, they are spurious and do
not belong in the Bible, for they are missing in
the oldest manuscripts. They were added in
the margin by a copyist who believed in a
spiritual resurrection, later to find their way
into the main text. * Jesus never said that the
hour of the resurrection had already arrived, in
which “all those in the memorial tombs will
hear his voice and come out, those who did
good things to a resurrection of life, those who
practiced vile things to a resurrection of
judgment.” (John 5:28,29; Acts 17:31; 24:15)
Christendom’s teaching of a “spiritual"
resurrection, commonly referred to as being
“born again,” is vital for them in order to go to
heaven. The Watchtower Society likewise
teaches the need of being "born again," but
with a few variations, such as restricting it to
the 144,000, who are the only ones to go to
heaven. The claim is made that only those who
are "born again" are "God's sons"; that only
they have their sins forgiven and are declared
righteous at the time of their anointing, when
they are said to be born again; while the rest of
mankind is considered "spiritually" dead and
don’t come to life "until the thousand years
were ended”—which, by the way, is based on
another scripture acknowledged to be an
interpolation, namely Revelation 20:5. (Gal.
3:26; 1 Tim. 2:4-6)
We should not confuse being "born again," or
the “spiritual" resurrection—which is a
"deviating from the truth"—with that of the
"first resurrection," that Jesus promised to his
chosen ones who will rule with him in his
heavenly kingdom. (Matt. 19:27,28; Rev. 20:4,
6; 14:1, 3) In order for them to be with Jesus,
these 144,000 "holy ones," who are his bride,
will give up their fleshly bodies and be made
alive in the spirit, as in Jesus' own case. (Dan.
7:27; 1 Peter 3:18; Rev. 19:7,cool Theirs will be a
real resurrection to the heavens as "spirit"
persons, because “flesh and blood cannot
inherit God’s kingdom," as Paul explained in
his letter to the Corinthians, adding further, “It
is sown in corruption, it is raised up in
incorruption. It is sown a physical body, it is
raised up a spiritual body.” (1 Cor. 15:35-54;
Rev. 20:6) Clearly, the expressions "spiritual"
resurrection and "first" resurrection are not
compatible or interchangeable. They do not
refer to the same thing. The one originates
with apostates, while the other is from God.
Interestingly, The Watchtower also speaks of
the "spiritual" resurrection as having already
occurred. The issue of October 1, 1986, said:
“After 1914, during Jesus’ ‘presence’ in
Kingdom power, he, as the archangel, issues
the heavenly command for those ‘in union with
Christ’ to assemble. In the case of such
anointed ones ‘asleep in death,’ this
trumpetlike summons calls for their spiritual
resurrection into the heavens. The
Watchtower has long presented the view that
this resurrection of anointed Christians
from death commenced in the year
1918 .” (w86 10/1 pp. 13-14 par. 18 Comfort
From the God of Peace) (Bold mine) Doesn't
that sound a lot like the claim made by those
against whom Paul warned Timothy when he
wrote: "These very men have deviated from
the truth, saying that the resurrection has
already occurred, and they are subverting the
faith of some"? (2 Tim. 2:18)
* The Bible Translated, in discussing
"Interpolations", explains (under the
heading INTERPOLATIONS, AND WHY)
the likely reason for the addition of the
spurious words in John 5:25:
John 5:25 -- "and now is," Soon after
the apostles fell asleep in death the
church began to lose sight of the real
hope of the resurrection. The heathen
doctrine of immediate survival after
death -- which, in professed Christian
circles became the doctrine of inherent
immortality -- made void the necessity
of a resurrection of the dead. The
addition of the words "and now is" to
this text is intended to convey the
thought that Jesus' promise of the
resurrection is fulfilled in some
mysterious way when one hears the call
of truth and becomes a Christian. Thus
not only is the real meaning of this
promise voided, but the text is made to
contradict itself, because the
resurrection could not be `coming' and
`now is' at the same time. (Published by
the Hartford Bible Students)

To be continued..................remain blessed.

1 Like

Re: ''born Again'' -what Did Jesus Mean? by Andrew3(m): 12:16pm On Jul 21, 2013
It means abstaining from all the vile practices and adopting a new life of purity.
Re: ''born Again'' -what Did Jesus Mean? by bolayei: 12:19pm On Jul 21, 2013
To be born again means total submission to your creator.., it has nothing to do with being a christian as not every christian is born again...It simply means worship God and to turn a new leaf. If one has to be baptised with water and the holy spirit to see the kingdom of God,does it mean Abraham,Moses,David,Solomon and the prophets before John the baptist will not see heaven as they were not baptised by water? But instead these prophets were born again in the sense that there submitted themselves to one true God and stayed away from sin by loving their neighbours as themselves. Even a true muslim is born again as he believes in Jesus christ of which without believing in Jesus he can't be muslim.
Re: ''born Again'' -what Did Jesus Mean? by Adanyebe(m): 12:22pm On Jul 21, 2013
To be born again is to have an auto reset of your mindset to focus only on things that will earn u a snug in heaven

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Zambian Pastor laments about Nigeria Gospel Junk exported all over Africa / To The Yorubas "Stop Praising Olorun, He Is Not The Christian God" / My Prayer For Trinitarians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.