Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,237 members, 7,807,788 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:16 PM

Miss Nigeria Frowns At Senate's Approval Of Child Marriage - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Miss Nigeria Frowns At Senate's Approval Of Child Marriage (595 Views)

Kachikwu Answering Questions At Senate Over Fuel Scarcity (Photos) / Dino Melaye And His Turbaning Outfit At Senate's Plenary Session (Photos) / Drama At Senate Over Buhari's #5000 Promise To Unemployed Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Miss Nigeria Frowns At Senate's Approval Of Child Marriage by neily(f): 12:30pm On Jul 21, 2013
Newly crowned Miss Nigeria 2013, Akudo Ezinne Anyaoha has joined the growing chorus of voices opposed to the approval of Child Marriage by the Senate at the ongoing Constitution Amendment exercise in the National Assembly.

The law graduate of the Abia State University described child marriage as a violation of human rights adding that the girl child should be allowed to live out her childhood instead of being subjected to sexual and physical abuse at such a tender age.

"These children are not prepared for the tedious demands of marriage and family life. This kind of law will keep relegating the girl child to the background and will also reduce her chances of being educated in order to liberate herself,” she said.

Miss Anyaoha, who was crowned Miss Nigeria earlier this month at a colourful ceremony in Lagos, said further: “Child marriage perpetuates poverty and leads to poor health as children will not only be withdrawn from their peers, but they will have psychological trauma and physical challenges such as ‎Vesicovaginal fistula (VVF).”

Miss Nigeria, who will soon launch her pet project and is determined to use her office to fight sexual violence, added that this act is not only harmful to the girl but also to the family, community and the nation as a whole because it stifles development.

She therefore enjoined Nigerians to come together in one voice to fight the Senate’s position.

"This is the right time for all well meaning Nigerians to come out and speak against this shameful act because it will go a long way to derail the current transformation agenda of the current administration and subsequently place the Nigerian girl far behind her peers across the world.

"I want to also use this medium to urge the House of Representative to follow the path of honour by rejecting this particular clause during their Clause - to - Clause consideration of the amended part of the constitution."

In recent days the decision of the nation’s upper legislative house on Child Marriage, has seen strong condemnation on various social media like twitter and facebook, with people campaigning for them to have a re-think.
http://www.dailytimes.com.ng/article/miss-nigeria-frowns-senates-approval-child-marriage

1 Like

Re: Miss Nigeria Frowns At Senate's Approval Of Child Marriage by Nobody: 12:50pm On Jul 21, 2013
She already has her job cut out or her...let her hit the ground running with her campaign
Re: Miss Nigeria Frowns At Senate's Approval Of Child Marriage by Ladybianca(f): 3:11pm On Jul 21, 2013
miss akudo anyaoha......... u spoke my mind, infact u took dos words outta my mouth......may God bless u and dos who will speak against dis evil act called EARLY CHILD MaRRIAGE..

1 Like

Re: Miss Nigeria Frowns At Senate's Approval Of Child Marriage by Tolexander: 3:40pm On Jul 21, 2013
The law graduate of the Abia
State University described child
marriage as a violation of human
rights adding that the girl child
should be allowed to live out her
childhood instead of being
subjected to intimate and
physical abuse at such a tender
age.
this year's MBGN winner seems to be different from the MBGN winner in 1988 cos the latter almost belong to the league of child marriage victims.
Re: Miss Nigeria Frowns At Senate's Approval Of Child Marriage by neily(f): 9:34pm On Jul 23, 2013
Go girl! Lets stop Yerima and his likes.
Re: Miss Nigeria Frowns At Senate's Approval Of Child Marriage by Horus(m): 9:46pm On Jul 23, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_knQ-XpR3s

Nigerian movie star and singer Stella Damasus expresses her anger over
the issue of underaged marriage being discussed in the Nigerian senate.
Re: Miss Nigeria Frowns At Senate's Approval Of Child Marriage by Nobody: 12:34am On Jul 24, 2013
I'm so sleepy, so I read just the topic, well...
Frowning was your best? I expected something a lot better.
Like you taking the position of Yerima's 13year old wife since you are above 18..

(1) (Reply)

Buhari, Tinubu Are Satanic And Not Democrats - PDP Voice Out / Unn 2013/2014 Pume Results; 5% Not Released. / You: Let Me Help You, Do You Want To Know Me By Engr Musiwa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.