Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,132 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:39 AM

Iranian Parliament: "It Is Illegal To Prohibit Early Marriage" - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Iranian Parliament: "It Is Illegal To Prohibit Early Marriage" (910 Views)

Early Marriage In Islam / Iranian Muslim Woman Becomes First Female To Win "Mathematics Nobel Prize" / Iranian Councilor Banned For Being Sexy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Iranian Parliament: "It Is Illegal To Prohibit Early Marriage" by vedaxcool(m): 12:33pm On Jul 21, 2013
http://www.mohabatnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=...

Iran seeks to legalise marriage for girls under 10

Saturday, 07 July 2012

The legal affairs committee of the Majles, the Iranian parliament, has told the press that they regard the law that prohibits girls below the age of 10 from being married off to be 'un-Islamic and illegal'.

Mohabatnews ) - According to recently released statistics, in the past few weeks over 75 female children under 10 were forced to marry much older men. In 3929 cases, bride and groom were both under 14.

In a discussion of the issue organised by the Khabar Online news website, conservative law-maker and spokesperson for the Majles committee Mohammad Ali Isfenani said: "Before the revolution girls under 16 were not allowed to marry.

Mohammad Ali Isfenani

Parents determined to get around the law would often tamper with their daughter's birth certificate. Under the previous constitution, people were legally regarded as adults when they were 18. After the revolution the age at which children were regarded as going through puberty was lowered to 9 for girls and 15 for boys.

" He added: "As some people may not comply with our current Islamic legal system, we must regard 9 as being the appropriate age for a girl to have reached puberty and qualified to get married. To do otherwise would be to contradict and challenge Islamic Sharia law."

He also confirmed that under his chairmanship the legal committee of the Majles would seek to change the current legislation./ shahrzad

------------------------

http://www.examiner.com/article/tens-of-thousands-worldwide-petition-ira...

Tens of thousands worldwide petition Iran to end child marriages
CHILD MARRIAGE
August 19, 2012
By: D.M. Murdock

A call to action at ThePetitionSite.com created by Christian Miller targets the Iranian government and requests that it not legalize the forced marriage of girls under the age of 10. The petition has garnered the signatures of many thousands of people worldwide, a number of whom have expressed outrage at the Islamic Republic's move, which some consider to reflect an attitude towards female children as property and household slaves.

Entitled "Iran: Don't Legalize Marriage for Girls Under 10!" the petition reads:

The Iranian Parliament recently issued a statement that they regard the law prohibiting marriage for girls under 10 as un-Islamic and illegal. According to Parliament member Mohammad Ali Isfenani, "We must regard nine as being the appropriate age for a girl to have reached puberty and qualified to get married."

Over the past few weeks, over 75 girls under 10 were forced to marry much older men. Legalizing this practice would effectively legalize sex between a young child and an over-18 adult.
Re: Iranian Parliament: "It Is Illegal To Prohibit Early Marriage" by vedaxcool(m): 12:37pm On Jul 21, 2013
unfortunately there is too much subjectivity involved in this area. too many opinions on a single issue.
Re: Iranian Parliament: "It Is Illegal To Prohibit Early Marriage" by LagosShia: 12:39pm On Jul 21, 2013
are you not tired of spamming the board with your childish behavior?

https://www.nairaland.com/1366497/enemies-islam-senates-resolution-marriageable#16922680

we are living in Nigeria,not in Iran.
Re: Iranian Parliament: "It Is Illegal To Prohibit Early Marriage" by nedu2000(m): 12:44pm On Jul 21, 2013
Nigeria unlike iran is a secular state,what senator yerima should have done was to advocate for such laws in the 'sharia' states of Nigeria & not for the entire 'consumption' of all 36 states
Re: Iranian Parliament: "It Is Illegal To Prohibit Early Marriage" by vedaxcool(m): 12:48pm On Jul 21, 2013
aya sorry ohhh, I thought u dey live in Tehran, since you created an entire thread about scientific achievement of Iran under Mr. Khomeini rule, I thought we could consider this as part of the achievement of Iran or atleast a view into the diverse view on an issue. but please u need to cease following me to every thread I go to, it is unhealthy.
take it easy, kiss kiss
Re: Iranian Parliament: "It Is Illegal To Prohibit Early Marriage" by LagosShia: 12:50pm On Jul 21, 2013
nedu2000: Nigeria unlike iran is a secular state,what senator yerima should have done was to advocate for such laws in the 'sharia' states of Nigeria & not for the entire 'consumption' of all 36 states

the age of consent in iran for girls remains 16.

I posted the link to the other thread because he has already posted this in the other thread.and it was discussed and explained based on the Islamic view that a girl can be married when she attains physical and mental maturity,which is not the case for many at age 9.so this can give chance to pedophiles to take advantage.
Re: Iranian Parliament: "It Is Illegal To Prohibit Early Marriage" by vedaxcool(m): 12:50pm On Jul 21, 2013
nedu2000: Nigeria unlike iran is a secular state,what senator yerima should have done was to advocate for such laws in the 'sharia' states of Nigeria & not for the entire 'consumption' of all 36 states

do u have a copy of the entire bill, pls post. and sorry this thread is about Iran, not Nigeria so no derailment.
Re: Iranian Parliament: "It Is Illegal To Prohibit Early Marriage" by LagosShia: 12:52pm On Jul 21, 2013
vedaxcool: aya sorry ohhh, I thought u dey live in Tehran, since you created an entire thread about scientific achievement of Iran under Mr. Khomeini rule, I thought we could consider this as part of the achievement of Iran or atleast a view into the diverse view on an issue. but please u need to cease following me to every thread I go to, it is unhealthy.
take it easy, kiss kiss

lol...

the scientific achievements of iran under sharia should be a source of pride for all muslims.it doesn't depend on western technology and gifts.

the age of consent in iran for girls is 16. smiley may be you should emulate the majority who supported it at 16.
Re: Iranian Parliament: "It Is Illegal To Prohibit Early Marriage" by vedaxcool(m): 1:01pm On Jul 21, 2013
^

I don't know about that, many Iranians actually engage in the practice [quote author=vedaxcool].
http://www.mohabatnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=...

Iran seeks to legalise marriage for girls under 10

Saturday, 07 July 2012

[b]
Mohabatnews ) - According to recently released statistics, in the past few weeks over 75 female children under 10 were forced to marry much older men. In 3929 cases, bride and groom were both under 14.

Mohammad Ali Isfenani

Parents determined to get around the law would often tamper with their daughter's birth certificate. Under the previous constitution, people were legally regarded as adults when they were 18. After the revolution the age at which children were regarded as going through puberty was lowered to 9 for girls and 15 for boys.

He also confirmed that under his chairmanship the legal committee of the Majles would seek to change the current legislation./ shahrzad

/quote]
Re: Iranian Parliament: "It Is Illegal To Prohibit Early Marriage" by LagosShia: 1:03pm On Jul 21, 2013
vedaxcool: ^

I don't know about that, many Iranians actually engage in the practice

it is wrong.if the girl doesn't meet the standard placed by Islam,whether in iran or mars,it is wrong.forcing girls into marriage is more of a cultural than Islamic practice.it is against islam to force girls into marriage.
Re: Iranian Parliament: "It Is Illegal To Prohibit Early Marriage" by vedaxcool(m): 1:10pm On Jul 21, 2013
^
how i wish Iran with all its scientific achievement could find its leg under shia Shari'a to fight this cruelty, the revolution seem to have been in adequate in this regards, some how the Parliament position directly correlate with Khomeini position. may Allah help the ummah , it seems only two of us are concerned of this issue.
Re: Iranian Parliament: "It Is Illegal To Prohibit Early Marriage" by LagosShia: 1:12pm On Jul 21, 2013
vedaxcool: ^
how i wish Iran with all its scientific achievement could find its leg under shia Shari'a to fight this cruelty, the revolution seem to have been in adequate in this regards, some how the Parliament position directly correlate with Khomeini position. may Allah help the ummah , it seems only two of us are concerned of this issue.

are you muslim? shocked

age of consent in Shia Iran is 16.start campaigning for at least placing an age in Wahhabi Saudi Arabia.no age at all set.
Re: Iranian Parliament: "It Is Illegal To Prohibit Early Marriage" by LagosShia: 1:16pm On Jul 21, 2013
[size=14pt]Muslims Reject Child Marriage And Absolve Islam Of The Blame Based On Facts[/size]

https://www.nairaland.com/1366430/muslims-reject-child-marriage-absolve
Re: Iranian Parliament: "It Is Illegal To Prohibit Early Marriage" by vedaxcool(m): 2:23pm On Jul 21, 2013
LagosShia:

are you muslim? shocked

age of consent in Shia Iran is 16.start campaigning for at least placing an age in Wahhabi Saudi Arabia.no age at all set.

yes, but the question should be directed at Mr. Khomeini and the Iranian Parliament which reduced/attempting toreduce the age of marriage below 9. Don't worry chriatian miller cited in the opinion, is mobilizing a global coalition a against child mmarriage moves in iran., something Mr. Khomeini supported. this is good development as it is what both of us want, and it will serve as a pressure point, against any member of Parliament who wants to follow the cradle robbing ways that Khomeini engarly propounded and implemented. let keep a vigilant eye against any body who intends to follow the ways of Khomeini ESP. in this regards. kiss
Re: Iranian Parliament: "It Is Illegal To Prohibit Early Marriage" by LagosShia: 3:52pm On Jul 21, 2013
vedaxcool:

yes, but the question should be directed at Mr. Khomeini and the Iranian Parliament which reduced/attempting toreduce the age of marriage below 9. Don't worry chriatian miller cited in the opinion, is mobilizing a global coalition a against child mmarriage moves in iran., something Mr. Khomeini supported. this is good development as it is what both of us want, and it will serve as a pressure point, against any member of Parliament who wants to follow the cradle robbing ways that Khomeini engarly propounded and implemented. let keep a vigilant eye against any body who intends to follow the ways of Khomeini ESP. in this regards. kiss

vedaxcool: more Joseph old age

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=4364719

LagosShia:

[b]so if 2000 years ago Joseph,a man of 90 years of age,was engaged to Mary (as),a girl of 12 years,does that mean in our age and time we should continue to follow that? are we progressing or digressing?

what are the motives behind an old man marrying a small girl in those times? is it famine? culture? is it for procreation? is it to have children to farm? is it because of high mortality rate which required early marriage? is it because of morality,that can be maintained even by a virgin of over 60 year old? then what is the excuse or reasons behind marrying little girls in 2013?

in my view Islam says a girl can marry once she attains puberty,and she is physically and mentally mature.Islam does not compel old men to parade little girls when the motives that existed in ancient days no longer exist.we should stop giving Islam a bad image,and make others look down upon muslims because we are refusing to progress and instead we want to live in ancient times.at what age would a girl who is married at 12 graduate from secondary school? and she would still be expected to raise children and take care of the home.i don't think this is possible or even Islamic in 2013.muslims who promote marriage to little girls should grow up.muslim girls also deserve good living.this is no attack on Islam,as many of us muslims would misunderstand it to be.[/b]

vedaxcool:

pls direct your comments to Khomeini and members of the Iranian Parliament who think otherwise.

LagosShia:

my words are for all muslims who insist to be stuck in the past.

but no one should try to justify anything using the lie concocted by Aisha that she was 9 year old when the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him and his pure Ahlul-Bayt) married her.historical records convincingly expose her as a liar.

https://www.nairaland.com/1366657/islam-under-age-marriage/2#16936953
Re: Iranian Parliament: "It Is Illegal To Prohibit Early Marriage" by vedaxcool(m): 4:20pm On Jul 21, 2013
somehow I as m begining to understand the context behind the law,

A new report on Iran is revealing that an estimated 850,000 young girls there are married – some of them as young as 9 or 10 years old and some of them married off to an “elderly man” in payment of a debt.
The report was compiled by Y. Mansharof, a research fellow, and A. Savyon, director of the Iranian Media Project. Both are with the Middle East Media Research Institute.“Under Iranian law, girls may marry at 13 and boys at 15, and children under 10 may marry with the approval of their guardian and the court. According to official statistics, about one million children, even under age 10, are married. The statistics also show that 85 percent of these one million married children are girls – meaning that most of them are married to grown men.”
They noted that public figures such as sociologists inside the regime are warning that the number of children marrying is rising, and that that creates both health and social risks.
“According to one sociologist, arranging marriages for children, especially girls, is common among poor and uneducated urban families that seek a way out of dire financial straits; he adds that the girls themselves are severely damaged both physically and psychologically,” the report said.
Officials of the Islamic government, however, are not alarmed.
“Regime spokesmen have denied the extent of the phenomenon, and have also shrugged off the matter, saying that child marriage is legal and that preventing it is against Islamic law.”

http://www.wnd.com/2013/04/850000-young-iranian-girls-as-young-as-9-married/
Re: Iranian Parliament: "It Is Illegal To Prohibit Early Marriage" by LagosShia: 4:26pm On Jul 21, 2013
vedaxcool: somehow I as m begining to understand the context behind the law,

A new report on Iran is revealing that an estimated 850,000 young girls there are married – some of them as young as 9 or 10 years old and some of them married off to an “elderly man” in payment of a debt.
The report was compiled by Y. Mansharof, a research fellow, and A. Savyon, director of the Iranian Media Project. Both are with the Middle East Media Research Institute.“Under Iranian law, girls may marry at 13 and boys at 15, and children under 10 may marry with the approval of their guardian and the court. According to official statistics, about one million children, even under age 10, are married. The statistics also show that 85 percent of these one million married children are girls – meaning that most of them are married to grown men.”
They noted that public figures such as sociologists inside the regime are warning that the number of children marrying is rising, and that that creates both health and social risks.
“According to one sociologist, arranging marriages for children, especially girls, is common among poor and uneducated urban families that seek a way out of dire financial straits; he adds that the girls themselves are severely damaged both physically and psychologically,” the report said.
Officials of the Islamic government, however, are not alarmed.
“Regime spokesmen have denied the extent of the phenomenon, and have also shrugged off the matter, saying that child marriage is legal and that preventing it is against Islamic law.”

http://www.wnd.com/2013/04/850000-young-iranian-girls-as-young-as-9-married/

if you bring all the articles in the world,both the true ones and the ones aimed at detracting the Islamic Republic of Iran,i am against little girls getting married as tender as 10.it makes no sense.iranians are not perfect and I am a Shia and Muslim,not because of Iran or whoever,but because I have convictions unlike you.i will not support child marriage in this age and time for whatever you say or think.

in the above you presented,i really liked this part most:

“According to one sociologist, arranging marriages for children, especially girls, is common among poor and uneducated urban families that seek a way out of dire financial straits;"

is the above what Islam (be it Sunni or Shia) promote? or are these cultural practices?
Re: Iranian Parliament: "It Is Illegal To Prohibit Early Marriage" by vedaxcool(m): 11:23am On Jul 22, 2013
kai Khomeini see how u have misled an entire country , embarassed embarassed now Iran Parliament is following your wrong footsteps.

(1) (Reply)

Discipline Of The Mouth For A Muslim / Islam And Politics / 8 DISTINCT Differences Between ISLAM And BOKOHARAM

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.