Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,255 members, 7,807,882 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:27 PM

Do You Believe In Giving Tithe? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do You Believe In Giving Tithe? (759 Views)

Stop Financing Pastor's Extravagant Lifestyle With Your Tithe! / Do I Need To Pay Tithe Form My Gamble Wins? / To Tithe or Not to Tithe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Believe In Giving Tithe? by kcprince: 1:09pm On Jul 21, 2013
When I earned my first income, I was so excited that I made it a point of duty to tithe and to give to the motherless on monthly basis.Three months later business was really bad,it even got to a stage that I made losses and was unable to pay tithe anymore. This marvelled me because they say givers never lack. My mindset about giving was changed. Months later business picked up suddenly and I began to earn more than before.From one outlet I have several. I still don't pay tithe or give to the motherless because I have this strange fear that if I do, my sitution will return back to the bad times. Two weeks ago a pastor I have never met before told me to ask God for forgiveness of my soul and I should read malachi 3:8-10. I was so frightened after reading it and for the first time in 2years I plan paying tithe and giving to charity hoping that more blessings will come my way .

Now my question is this, Has giving tithe blessed your finances?Maybe someones story can make me never to give up tithing
Re: Do You Believe In Giving Tithe? by DrummaBoy(m): 3:46pm On Jul 21, 2013
I have heard testimonies of those who commenced tithing and were blessed; some others were not. Some stopped tithing and were blessed; some were not. To base your walk with God on experiences, no matter how palatable, is a sure means to failure. Base your decision on the word of God.

Already you are starting on a wrong premises: tithing to earn blessing on your business. That is a wrong foundation to do anything in Christianity.

Study the word. Weigh the arguments for and against tithing. Pray. Do whatever God leads you to do.

I recommend U study this course: www.tithing101.com, as a sound position against tithing. You can read and weigh it against what the evangelist scared U into doing.

I owe my progress in life to God and not to tithing or not tithing. I stopped tithing 5 months ago and can say my finances has improved. But my experience does not matter. Seek God and do what is best based on sound judgement on ur path.

Goodluck.
Re: Do You Believe In Giving Tithe? by DrummaBoy(m): 4:01pm On Jul 21, 2013
The problem with many in Christendom is that people are forever looking for directions from others when God has promised to lead us by his Spirit. And that is what leads them to errors.

There is no one size fit all in NT Christianity. I am convinced that no one is called to tithe an income today. Some maybe led to give 10%, as the minimum, as such may be the only means of God getting them to support Christian work. Otherwise people like that won't. But a cursory study of what the tithe is in the OT shows that it was a means of sustaining the levithical priesthood. With a change of law came a change of priesthood and then a change of d means of sustaining it: the tithe is obsolete today.

But what the OP needs is understanding God and knowing how to be led of Him and not what or what not to do.

This thread has all the likelihood of confusing U with d argument for and against tithing. If U do not know God yourself, U will not know what stand to take at the end.

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe In Giving Tithe? by alexleo(m): 5:29pm On Jul 21, 2013
kcprince: When I earned my first income, I was so excited that I made it a point of duty to tithe and to give to the motherless on monthly basis.Three months later business was really bad,it even got to a stage that I made losses and was unable to pay tithe anymore. This marvelled me because they say givers never lack. My mindset about giving was changed. Months later business picked up suddenly and I began to earn more than before.From one outlet I have several. I still don't pay tithe or give to the motherless because I have this strange fear that if I do, my sitution will return back to the bad times. Two weeks ago a pastor I have never met before told me to ask God for forgiveness of my soul and I should read malachi 3:8-10. I was so frightened after reading it and for the first time in 2years I plan paying tithe and giving to charity hoping that more blessings will come my way .

Now my question is this, Has giving tithe blessed your finances?Maybe someones story can make me never to give up tithing

Pls don't do something for God for the sole purpose of gaining from him. If we can love Jesus so much to the point that we begin to do things just for the love of him it will be a lot better. Jesus laid his life for us out of love and not for anything that he ll gain from us. He lived a selfless life on earth and told us to do same. Let whatever you are giving to either the church or individual be powered by your love for Jesus and not in anticipation of getting back more. Sure, he ll bless. But pls bear in mind that God is not operating a money-doubler kind of thing. Thanks.
Re: Do You Believe In Giving Tithe? by mcfynest(m): 10:19pm On Jul 21, 2013
Romans 14:1 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations. 14:2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs. 14:3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him. 14:4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand. 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. 14:6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks. 14:7 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself. 14:8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.
Re: Do You Believe In Giving Tithe? by DrummaBoy(m): 11:15pm On Jul 21, 2013
mcfynest: Romans 14:1 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations. 14:2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs. 14:3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him. 14:4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand. 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. 14:6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks. 14:7 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself. 14:8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.

Please kindly how this applies to the OP question.
Re: Do You Believe In Giving Tithe? by Nobody: 4:17am On Jul 22, 2013
Hello KC,

kcprince: When I earned my first income, I was so excited that I made it a point of duty to tithe and to give to the motherless on monthly basis.

This is great!!! I believe firmly that it is a praise-worthy thing to give, and giving to the less privileged and the 'church' are particularly loved by Christ.

To give is to imitate Christ who gave unconditionally in order that man will be re-united with his heavenly Father.

kcprince:
Three months later business was really bad,it even got to a stage that I made losses and was unable to pay tithe anymore. This marvelled me because they say givers never lack. My mindset about giving was changed.

Hmmmm....

I don't think it is appropriate to give because we want to receive some benefits in return. Though there is nothing wrong with giving because of the blessings attached to it but it would be appropriate rather to give because by so doing, you give to Christ himself.

A true lover, NEVER keeps records of the good deeds he does to the object of his love...he NEVER grow weary of always wanting to show love, no matter the 'cost'. If Christ is the object of our love and we believe that when we give, this act of giving is done to him, then nothing else matters.

Businesses experience booms and declines all the time and I am pretty confident that the decline you experienced in your business was not as a result of your generosity.

kcprince:
Months later business picked up suddenly and I began to earn more than before.From one outlet I have several. I still don't pay tithe or give to the motherless because I have this strange fear that if I do, my sitution will return back to the bad times.

Lol!!!

You are being kinda superstitious now. Your situation did not plummet because you gave, unless you are saying that you gave out of your 'Initial capital + plough back profits'...

If this is what you did, then I don't think it is appropriate. If you must give, then give from what you have. Your initial capital and plough back profits belong to your business and not you. Your dustributable profits belongs to you and from this you can give.

kcprince:
Two weeks ago a pastor I have never met before told me to ask God for forgiveness of my soul and I should read malachi 3:8-10. I was so frightened after reading it and for the first time in 2years I plan paying tithe and giving to charity hoping that more blessings will come my way .

My candid advice to you is to be weary of that pastor. No one is meant to give out of fear and giving of tithes is NOT by compulsion. It is NEVER a requirement for salvation.

I have no issue if you choose to give but if you do choose that path then do it for the right reasons and not because you were bull-dozed into doing so.

kcprince:

I can't answer this because I have NEVER given tithe in my life and I do not plan to give in the future. I give whatever I feel like giving. Which can be less or more than 10% of my income. And like I mentioned, there are blessings attached to giving. You get these blessings either now, later or both.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Believe In Giving Tithe? by mcfynest(m): 7:28am On Jul 22, 2013
DrummaBoy:

Please kindly how this applies to the OP question.

IT'S SIMPLE, IF THE OP BELIEVES IN GIVING THITHE LET HIM GO ON, IF HE DOESNT BELIEVE LET HIM GO ON EITH SUCH BELIEVE, HE SHOULD ONLY REMEMBER THAT ON THE LAST DAY, HE WILL GIVE ACCOUNT TO GOD AND NOT MEN. WHATEVER YOU DO IN CHURCH OR AS A CHRISTIAN, IF YOU ARE DOING IT WITH FAITH GOD WILL REWARD YOU. PLS READ THE WHOLE CHAPTER 14 PLS TO GET INSIGHT TO WHAT I MEAN
Re: Do You Believe In Giving Tithe? by Zikkyy(m): 9:44am On Jul 22, 2013
striktlymi: Hello KC,
You are being kinda superstitious now. Your situation did not plummet because you gave, unless you are saying that you gave out of your 'Initial capital + plough back profits'...

If this is what you did, then I don't think it is appropriate. If you must give, then give from what you have. Your initial capital and plough back profits belong to your business and not you. Your dustributable profits belongs to you and from this you can give.

If the man wants to adhere to the command to the Israelite, he must tithe capital as well. Tithing on profit amounts to fraud angry God did not tell the Israeli farmer to first deduct the seeds for next planting season before computing the tenth of the harvest. If the man wants to tithe his business, he should calculate a tenth of his gross earnings, otherwise he should consider giving instead of tithing. The problem with most tithers today is that they on their own (most times in collabo with their pastor) decide what their tithe should be when God already defined his tithe.
Re: Do You Believe In Giving Tithe? by staggerman(m): 10:02am On Jul 22, 2013
Re: Do You Believe In Giving Tithe? by Nobody: 10:53am On Jul 22, 2013
Zikkyy:

If the man wants to adhere to the command to the Israelite, he must tithe capital as well. Tithing on profit amounts to fraud angry God did not tell the Israeli farmer to first deduct the seeds for next planting season before computing the tenth of the harvest. If the man wants to tithe his business, he should calculate a tenth of his gross earnings, otherwise he should consider giving instead of tithing. The problem with most tithers today is that they on their own (most times in collabo with their pastor) decide what their tithe should be when God already defined his tithe.

Lol!!!

Interesting thought but you seem to have mistaken my use of the word 'give/gave' to mean 'tithe giving'. I do not subscribe to forcing people to give tithes...

I do not subscribe to the school of thought that says: God demands our tithe...if we want to go by this then we are saying that we will also go by every law of Moses, even the ones that suggests keeping slaves for a time and stoning for adulterers.

We can't decide to keep one law and throw the rest away, it does not work that way. There is a new covenant which Christ established, and in this covenant we are expected to give as the spirit leads.
Re: Do You Believe In Giving Tithe? by EvilBrain1(m): 11:21am On Jul 22, 2013
OP's problem is that he us wasting his tithe on motherless babies. Instead, he should give it to a big pastor to buy a second private jet. That's the only sure way to get abundant blessing.

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe In Giving Tithe? by flourishG(m): 1:34pm On Jul 22, 2013
Tithe for what n to who? Show me a levite pastor from levitical priesthood n I will tithe.
Re: Do You Believe In Giving Tithe? by Tgirl4real(f): 7:35pm On Jul 22, 2013
Amen brother! I paid tithe last which year sef.. I can't remember. grin

DrummaBoy: I have heard testimonies of those who commenced tithing and were blessed; some others were not. Some stopped tithing and were blessed; some were not. To base your walk with God on experiences, no matter how palatable, is a sure means to failure. Base your decision on the word of God.

Already you are starting on a wrong premises: tithing to earn blessing on your business. That is a wrong foundation to do anything in Christianity.

Study the word. Weigh the arguments for and against tithing. Pray. Do whatever God leads you to do.

I recommend U study this course: www.tithing101.com, as a sound position against tithing. You can read and weigh it against what the evangelist scared U into doing.

I owe my progress in life to God and not to tithing or not tithing. I stopped tithing 5 months ago and can say my finances has improved. But my experience does not matter. Seek God and do what is best based on sound judgement on ur path.

Goodluck.
Re: Do You Believe In Giving Tithe? by Tgirl4real(f): 7:42pm On Jul 22, 2013
flourishG: Tithe for what n to who? Show me a levite pastor from levitical priesthood n I will tithe.

Even if you find one, are u from the nation of Isreal? grin
Re: Do You Believe In Giving Tithe? by DrummaBoy(m): 8:51pm On Jul 22, 2013
mcfynest:

IT'S SIMPLE, IF THE OP BELIEVES IN GIVING THITHE LET HIM GO ON, IF HE DOESNT BELIEVE LET HIM GO ON EITH SUCH BELIEVE, HE SHOULD ONLY REMEMBER THAT ON THE LAST DAY, HE WILL GIVE ACCOUNT TO GOD AND NOT MEN. WHATEVER YOU DO IN CHURCH OR AS A CHRISTIAN, IF YOU ARE DOING IT WITH FAITH GOD WILL REWARD YOU. PLS READ THE WHOLE CHAPTER 14 PLS TO GET INSIGHT TO WHAT I MEAN

It was about a week ago while studying scriptures that God opened my eyes to Romans 14. I call that chapter the end of all tithe argument. The first thing I grasped from that chapter is that there are some doctrinal issues in Christendom that is not worth sweating about. They are just as Jesus said in Matthew 23:23, incidentally he was talking about tithe, not weighty issues. On such matter Paul advices that he that does them; to the Lord he does them. He that does not do them; to the Lord he does not do them. Whoever does or does not do them is not condemned. This applies to tithe too. He that tithes and truly does it to honor God, to God he does it and he will be blessed. He that does not tithe; and believes tithe is extinct and obsolete and that if he tithes he is keeping the law and fallen from grace; such an individual does it unto the Lord. And, believe it or not, he will be blessed because he does it in faith.

Now the tone of your first comment is why I asked you the question. You said at the last day, every man will receive what is due. What such a statement means to me is that though in one hand you allow liberty to tithe or not; in another hand you choose to judge those who do or who do not. Your position will be known if you truly can answer this question: Do you tithe? And why do you or do you not tithe?

Now I brought up the question of Romans 14 for a number of reason.

1. Majority of those who tithe do not belong to the category Paul is talking about. Those who tithe and belong to these category are those who are truly honoring God with their finances with a basic minimum of 10%. The majority of others are doing it to keep church rules; to be blessed; to make heaven; to be acceptable to Pastor; and out of sheer ignorance. Those who do this are not doing it in faith and are sinning against God.

2. Romans 14 births the reality behind the tithe: there is liberty to tithe or not to tithe. The question of paying tithe is heretic because it makes nonsense of what Jesus has payed for on the cross; it return us to Moses who demanded that tithes be payed to levites. ETC. If it was a question of giving tithe; then there is the allowance made to do it or not to do it. Many leading churches make the paying of tithes prerequisite to full membership of their assembly. This is sin. People should be permitted to decide whether to give or not to give.

3. Romans 14 permits us to define the tithe for what it truly is: a means of sustaining the levithical priesthood that is now obsolete and thus the tithe is also obsolete. If anyone chooses to give a tenth of income or whatever, such an individual is embarking on a free will offering; however, a constant one.

So I have tried to paint the true position of Romans 14: a liberty to do or not to do in regard to not-weighty matter of Christendom. If this liberty is changed to compulsion, we have bondage in our hands.

This also leads us to the reason why the tithe is opposed by many today: abuse. If Christians are permitted to choose to do what they want with their finances, this abuses will reduce. The lifestyle of our pastors today, fueled by inordinate collection of tithes, is not congruent with the way leaders of the NT lived. So, some of us argue that the tithe be shown for what it really is; Christians should be permitted to give as God leads them; and let us see what becomes of our fatted pastors (many of whom are fatted likes calves to be killed).
Re: Do You Believe In Giving Tithe? by mcfynest(m): 6:24pm On Jul 24, 2013
DrummaBoy:

It was about a week ago while studying scriptures that God opened my eyes to Romans 14. I call that chapter the end of all tithe argument. The first thing I grasped from that chapter is that there are some doctrinal issues in Christendom that is not worth sweating about. They are just as Jesus said in Matthew 23:23, incidentally he was talking about tithe, not weighty issues. On such matter Paul advices that he that does them; to the Lord he does them. He that does not do them; to the Lord he does not do them. Whoever does or does not do them is not condemned. This applies to tithe too. He that tithes and truly does it to honor God, to God he does it and he will be blessed. He that does not tithe; and believes tithe is extinct and obsolete and that if he tithes he is keeping the law and fallen from grace; such an individual does it unto the Lord. And, believe it or not, he will be blessed because he does it in faith.

Now the tone of your first comment is why I asked you the question. You said at the last day, every man will receive what is due. What such a statement means to me is that though in one hand you allow liberty to tithe or not; in another hand you choose to judge those who do or who do not. Your position will be known if you truly can answer this question: Do you tithe? And why do you or do you not tithe?

Now I brought up the question of Romans 14 for a number of reason.

1. Majority of those who tithe do not belong to the category Paul is talking about. Those who tithe and belong to these category are those who are truly honoring God with their finances with a basic minimum of 10%. The majority of others are doing it to keep church rules; to be blessed; to make heaven; to be acceptable to Pastor; and out of sheer ignorance. Those who do this are not doing it in faith and are sinning against God.

2. Romans 14 births the reality behind the tithe: there is liberty to tithe or not to tithe. The question of paying tithe is heretic because it makes nonsense of what Jesus has payed for on the cross; it return us to Moses who demanded that tithes be payed to levites. ETC. If it was a question of giving tithe; then there is the allowance made to do it or not to do it. Many leading churches make the paying of tithes prerequisite to full membership of their assembly. This is sin. People should be permitted to decide whether to give or not to give.

3. Romans 14 permits us to define the tithe for what it truly is: a means of sustaining the levithical priesthood that is now obsolete and thus the tithe is also obsolete. If anyone chooses to give a tenth of income or whatever, such an individual is embarking on a free will offering; however, a constant one.

So I have tried to paint the true position of Romans 14: a liberty to do or not to do in regard to not-weighty matter of Christendom. If this liberty is changed to compulsion, we have bondage in our hands.

This also leads us to the reason why the tithe is opposed by many today: abuse. If Christians are permitted to choose to do what they want with their finances, this abuses will reduce. The lifestyle of our pastors today, fueled by inordinate collection of tithes, is not congruent with the way leaders of the NT lived. So, some of us argue that the tithe be shown for what it really is; Christians should be permitted to give as God leads them; and let us see what becomes of our fatted pastors (many of whom are fatted likes calves to be killed).

hmmmm you are on point. thanks
Re: Do You Believe In Giving Tithe? by DrummaBoy(m): 8:45pm On Jul 24, 2013
mcfynest:

hmmmm you are on point. thanks

grin grin grin cool
Re: Do You Believe In Giving Tithe? by alexleo(m): 9:58pm On Jul 24, 2013
@DrummaBoy,
you made a lot of sense in your presentation about Romans 14 and tithe.
Personally i give my tithe out of my free mind. I just give and dont care to check whether am being blessed by it or not.
But God is blessing me too. Secondly am not giving it to please anybody and of course in the church where i worship nobody ask you of tithe. It is left between you and God. They have a box at the corner of the church which you can go and put your tithe or offering anytime anyday. There is nothing like offering time or tithe collection time during the church service and their is no record being kept for people when they pay tithe. It is do as the spirit leads you. They dont also preach tithe often. Sometimes in one whole year or even two or even more, nobody has preached anything about tithe or offering. Its completely between you and God. Well, God will help all of us to be understanding his word more and more until we reach heaven at last. Amen. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe In Giving Tithe? by Tgirl4real(f): 10:00pm On Jul 24, 2013
DrummaBoy:

grin grin grin cool

And what are you feeling like? grin

Drummerboy? Lol
Re: Do You Believe In Giving Tithe? by DrummaBoy(m): 10:04pm On Jul 24, 2013
Tgirl4real:

And what are you feeling like? grin

Drummerboy? Lol

Like, cool aid!

cool grin grin cool

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Forced Conversion To Islam / My Prayer To All Nairalander This September / Wow! This Indian Muslim Meets JESUS CHRIST The Son Of GOD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.