Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,698 members, 7,805,869 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:38 AM

2015: Governors, Ministers, Opt For Foreign GSM Lines - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2015: Governors, Ministers, Opt For Foreign GSM Lines (16615 Views)

Governors, Ministers Must Declare Assets – Buhari / 2015 Governors Elect In All States. / 2015:: Anyim, Governors, Ministers Escape Death At Minna TAN Rally.!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

2015: Governors, Ministers, Opt For Foreign GSM Lines by Nobody: 1:02am On Jul 22, 2013
*As Security agents intensify wiretap of phone talks *Extend operations to US, UK, UAE, South Africa, Ghana

*It has to do with security - DHQ

Just as foreign currencies especially US Dollars and British Pounds are common features in Nigeria's daily financial transactions, so is the number of international GSM lines in local telephone conversations by state governors, ministers, top security chiefs and several other Very Important Personalities, VIPs to avoid the rising frequent wiretap of private discussions by the nation's intelligence operatives.

Saturday Sun gathered that the number of political office holders and top government functionaries using foreign telephone lines in Nigeria has in the past few months increased geometrically due to an unprecedented acquisition of "spigot and surveillance equipment by the intelligence agencies especially the Department of State Security, DSS in the last two years to enhance their ability to record, retrieve and analyse conversations of certain persons under profile or surveillance."

To safeguard their telephone conversations from the reach of security agents, investigations reveal that many serving state governors, current ministers, former governors, a number of heads of federal parastatals and agencies as well as some VIPs who are involved in national politics and who have the financial means have resorted to using GSM lines used in United Kingdom, USA, United Arab Emirates, South Africa, Ghana and others to make sensitive telephone calls and discussions.

A serving state governor, who confirmed he's one of those who recently joined the trend, told Saturday Sun that recent developments in the nation's political arena have made it expedient for him to join some of his colleaques "who have already ported." grin

"That (foreign GSM line) appears to be the safest way to communicate with ourselves under the present hostile political environment in our country. It's only reasonable that I do as others do", the state chief executive who prefers not to be named for fear of being misunderstood, stated.

If this class of foreign GSM line users believe they are totally safe from security wiretap, they need to read this. To beat their targets in the game, it was learnt that the intelligence agencies have extended their tentacles to the US, UK, UAE, South Africa, Ghana and others under the guise of counter-terrorism efforts.

Findings reveal that a number of intelligence operatives travel out of Nigeria from time to time to some of the identified countries where they retrieve call logs and other data from the lines of their targets with the aid of their foreign counterparts.

One of the operatives involved in such overseas operations was, until recently, an under-cover agent in a Federal Government-run media house. One of his colleagues confided in one of our reporters that, "the move is a justifiable security assignment but so far, it has been more successful and easier in London (UK) than other jurisdictions."

He said it's easy to get the Nigerian users of some United Kingdom GSM numbers because "even though some of them are registered in the names of proxies, technology often reveals the locations where such lines are being used while the data collated on them confirm the true owners or users." Some of the UK operators, said to enjoy the patronage of Nigerian political office holders and VIPs include T-mobile, Orange, 02, Lebara and Vodafone.

When asked why security agencies have to resort to monitoring phone discussions of political office holders, an obviously stunned Director of Defence Information, DDI at the Defence Headquarters in Abuja, Brig. Gen. Chris Olukolade was more anxious to know why one of our correspondents wanted to know about such a sensitive security issue than providing a direct answer.

"Who told you it is DHQ that is monitoring telephone discussion of government officials and VIPs and why do you think so? It has to do with security and DHQ is not the only security agency in the country. So, you should find out who is monitoring phone discussion and not conclude that DHQ is responsible", the Defence spokesman stated.

Nigeria has of late invested millions of dollars to boost intelligence gathering of most of the nation's security agencies especially DSS, Defence Intelligence Agency, DIA and Directorate of Military Intelligence, DMI. Contracts for the procurement of most of the wiretap equipment have often gone to Israeli companies because of the Jewish nation's prowess in intelligence gathering.

One of the latest attempts to invade the privacy of citizens got mired in controversy. The Federal Government was said to have secretly awarded an Israeli firm, Elbit Systems, with headquarters in Haifa, a $40 million contract to help it spy on citizens' computers and Internet communications under the guise of intelligence gathering and national security.

The House of Representatives has instituted a probe into the award of the contract but the presidency, which is at the centre of it, has kept mute.
http://odili.net/news/source/2013/jul/21/502.html
Re: 2015: Governors, Ministers, Opt For Foreign GSM Lines by tpia5: 3:21am On Jul 22, 2013
Who said foreign phone lines arent monitored?

1 Like

Re: 2015: Governors, Ministers, Opt For Foreign GSM Lines by koruji(m): 3:30am On Jul 22, 2013
An abject nation on its knees.
Re: 2015: Governors, Ministers, Opt For Foreign GSM Lines by Gboliwe: 4:07am On Jul 22, 2013
And the bills increase even as taxpayers suffer more.

#sad

2 Likes

Re: 2015: Governors, Ministers, Opt For Foreign GSM Lines by greatgod2012(f): 4:44am On Jul 22, 2013
The truth is that these our leaders dont have neither belief nor interest in whatever that emanated from Nigeria, the only thing they are interested in, is looting our money and spending it in foreign countries.
For example........
*their children doesnt school in Nigeria.
*they dont believe in Nigeria's medical facilities and personnels, even, if its ordinary headache they have, they will prefer travelling abroad for medical treatment than upgrading our medical centres to internatinal standard.
*they usually spend their holidays in foreign countries.
*their immediate family members like wives, children and parents do not reside in Nigeria, they only come for public functionaries and return immediately.
and now
*they dont use Nigeria GSM network again, they prefer foreign lines to our dear own GSM lines.

Now, tell me, what belief or interest do they have in Nigeria, except to loot our money and go to foreign countries to squander it.
God will jugde them.

And for not monitoring foreign GSM communication, that is a big lie.

8 Likes

Re: 2015: Governors, Ministers, Opt For Foreign GSM Lines by abdulahi001: 4:58am On Jul 22, 2013
Hmnn, Fingers crossed.
Re: 2015: Governors, Ministers, Opt For Foreign GSM Lines by Brimmie(m): 5:43am On Jul 22, 2013
[size=20]I Had No Shoesssss!! sad I Married Hippopo... My Name Is Goodluck.. And I 'll Bring You Goodluck grin grin I Laff In Chinko.. Cho Cho Ichuku Yiuunn Chun Yoko Cho Cho!! grin grin[/size]

14 Likes

Re: 2015: Governors, Ministers, Opt For Foreign GSM Lines by Nobody: 6:10am On Jul 22, 2013
Brimmie: [size=20]I Had No Shoesssss!! sad I Married Hippopo... My Name Is Goodluck.. And I 'll Bring You Goodluck grin grin I Laff In Chinko.. Cho Cho Ichuku Yiuunn Chun Yoko Cho Cho!! grin grin[/size]

Your stupidity is nuseating

32 Likes

Re: 2015: Governors, Ministers, Opt For Foreign GSM Lines by awodman: 6:20am On Jul 22, 2013
CFCfan: One of the operatives involved in such overseas
operations was, until recently, an under-cover agent in a
Federal Government-run media house

I love this part..I hope there are lot of undercovers in other media houses..

1 Like

Re: 2015: Governors, Ministers, Opt For Foreign GSM Lines by israel007: 7:44am On Jul 22, 2013
Oh the amount involved in using those lines here! These guys should stop wasting our resources
Re: 2015: Governors, Ministers, Opt For Foreign GSM Lines by dridowu: 7:59am On Jul 22, 2013
Since they have skeleton in their cupboard, so they are afraid to communicate with our lines , time will soon catch up with them

1 Like

Re: 2015: Governors, Ministers, Opt For Foreign GSM Lines by DoffMan2: 8:41am On Jul 22, 2013
israel007: Oh the amount involved in using those lines here! These guys should stop wasting our resources

Nor be beans.

http://www.o2.co.uk/business/standardrateanddata
Re: 2015: Governors, Ministers, Opt For Foreign GSM Lines by AbuMikey(m): 8:58am On Jul 22, 2013
They(political office holders) lack the knowledge!! SMH
Re: 2015: Governors, Ministers, Opt For Foreign GSM Lines by bknight: 9:05am On Jul 22, 2013
This is same reason I refused to register my phone numbers. I still haven't.

The fact is that the FG through NCC, the mobile phone operators, the police, SSS and other agencies have not given the citizenry the confidence. Instead, they have given us every course to fear.

Recently, Lamido Sanusi's (CBN gov) private conversations were obtained and laid bare in news media in the country. And for what? Poilitical witch-hunting!

I have been against it and still will. Even in cases of murder, etc there should be due process (probably) through the courts to obtain such and should be classified.
But no!

Maybe when GEJ is out of power, we'd be reading his bedroom love conversations with PEJ

angry

2 Likes

Re: 2015: Governors, Ministers, Opt For Foreign GSM Lines by costan306(m): 10:52am On Jul 22, 2013
thank God some guys at abuja hv been listening 2 my calls lately
Re: 2015: Governors, Ministers, Opt For Foreign GSM Lines by Nobody: 12:53pm On Jul 22, 2013
Ok is that so undecided
Re: 2015: Governors, Ministers, Opt For Foreign GSM Lines by jice(m): 12:56pm On Jul 22, 2013
Brimmie: [size=20]I Had No Shoesssss!! sad I Married Hippopo... My Name Is Goodluck.. And I 'll Bring You Goodluck grin grin I Laff In Chinko.. Cho Cho Ichuku Yiuunn Chun Yoko Cho Cho!! grin grin[/size]

you're sick and tired. Port to Sudan where your likes are living.

1 Like

Re: 2015: Governors, Ministers, Opt For Foreign GSM Lines by iamswizz(m): 12:58pm On Jul 22, 2013
Cant they use skype or pinger.com or even Gmail calls feature?
Re: 2015: Governors, Ministers, Opt For Foreign GSM Lines by ABAboi: 12:59pm On Jul 22, 2013

I read this article about electronic security in Nigeria. It might interest you to read.

Nigeria – Past, Present and Future Security Threats

Nigeria has over the years witnessed a paradigm shift in the security threat it faces. For decades, armed robbery mainly highway, house-to-house and bank robbery were the order of the day. Armed robbery in Nigeria was popularised by Lawrence Anini, Nigeria’s most notorious criminal.
Anini became a robbery figurehead; he was convicted and executed in August 1986. Years later armed robbery spiralled, becoming the number one security threat to Nigerians and businesses. This has led to the emergence of reactive techniques by successive governments; the government typically responded by purchasing patrol vehicles, formation of “special” police outfits such as operation bang, flush, sweep, fire-for-fire etc to tackle the menace.

Continue reading http://www.fogsecure.com.ng/blog/nigeria-past-present-and-future-security-threats/
Re: 2015: Governors, Ministers, Opt For Foreign GSM Lines by ddeola: 1:00pm On Jul 22, 2013
Wasters and hypocrites
Re: 2015: Governors, Ministers, Opt For Foreign GSM Lines by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jul 22, 2013
wasting of money! Daz all.
Re: 2015: Governors, Ministers, Opt For Foreign GSM Lines by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jul 22, 2013
In 2018 world cup competition. A country called Biafra will participate.

1 Like

Re: 2015: Governors, Ministers, Opt For Foreign GSM Lines by wazobiaN9(m): 1:06pm On Jul 22, 2013
Lol!
U bring a foreign line to roam on a local network.... the local network will host ur foreign line wt dr infrastructure, give u access to initiate and receive gsm services and therefore have ur logs which they transfer to ur home network for billing purposes.
So it BS that you r 'protected' frm local security agencies wen u roam d line!

1 Like

Re: 2015: Governors, Ministers, Opt For Foreign GSM Lines by lovejo(m): 1:07pm On Jul 22, 2013
Solution is just SKYPE .
Re: 2015: Governors, Ministers, Opt For Foreign GSM Lines by Nobody: 1:09pm On Jul 22, 2013

As you hate on mr president, i doubt you will come close to being a president ur entire life.
Re: 2015: Governors, Ministers, Opt For Foreign GSM Lines by carmenblandish: 1:10pm On Jul 22, 2013
STUPIDITY LIVES ON IN NAIJA AND THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS FOREIGN....

My broda dem say who nor go nor know....

I look forward to the day were we will celebrate all things mad in nigeria for nigerians...until them...make i wak my jacket potato and salad boooo
Re: 2015: Governors, Ministers, Opt For Foreign GSM Lines by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jul 22, 2013
maxwello.yg:
In 2018 world cup competition. A country called Biafra will participate.

Is that how far UR BRAIN can interprete the topic on ground?....then something wrong (if this topic doesnt have anything in concern with Biafra)

1 Like

Re: 2015: Governors, Ministers, Opt For Foreign GSM Lines by kunlekunle: 1:13pm On Jul 22, 2013
latest tech in town, used by snowden and Assange

1 Like

Re: 2015: Governors, Ministers, Opt For Foreign GSM Lines by ZN2: 1:13pm On Jul 22, 2013
A simple service like skype would suffice.

Anyways, what are they so anxious about? Skeletons in their cupboards ahead of 2015?
Re: 2015: Governors, Ministers, Opt For Foreign GSM Lines by Nobody: 1:21pm On Jul 22, 2013
St_Black:

Is that how far UR BRAIN can interprete the topic on ground?....then something wrong (if this topic doesnt have anything in concern with Biafra)
let us go to derailers' paradise?
Re: 2015: Governors, Ministers, Opt For Foreign GSM Lines by WHIZBRO(m): 1:23pm On Jul 22, 2013
Good!!! CIA or MI6 will just tap it instead... Thieving Baboons

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal / APC Wants To Divide Nigeria, Says PDP / Cash Swap Riots: We Are Investigating Governors Over Inciting Utterances – IGP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.