Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,672 members, 7,801,937 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:24 AM

Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi (25937 Views)

Presidency Breaks Silence On Patience Jonathan's Whereabout / Presidency Silent On Patience Jonathans Whereabouts / Abacha's Daughter Lash-Out At Wole Soyinka On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by Maxymilliano(m): 5:14am On Jul 22, 2013

Explains link with Amaechi

AT 79, Africa’s first Nobel Laureate in Literature, Prof. Wole Soyinka, seems not to have lost his zeal for standing up against those he perceives to use their public office to oppress others in Nigeria.

And though the afternoon open-door lecture series was supposed to be a commemoration of his birthday, he quickly swapped the garment of a celebrant with that of a political activist as it became necessary. Referring to the First Lady, Dame Patience Jonathan’s alleged meddling in the affairs of Rivers State and abuse of power, Soyinka asked, “What’s the problem with Madam Shepopotamus?”

Fielding questions from a member of the audience at the African Centre in Covent Garden, venue of Saturday’s “WS79 – Memoirs of Our Future: An Audience with Prof. Wole Soyinka,” he said he was not afraid to stand up and call the First Lady to order and also educate her if she cannot take a cue from how other first ladies behave.

People said I call her a domestic appendage, what’s the problem with that? What’s the problem with Madam Shepopotamus?”

Pressed to comment on the lingering political crisis in Rivers State, Soyinka revealed: “What happened in Rivers began long ago, before five decided that five was greater than 27. If we don’t move in support of the truth at certain mathematics, we shouldn’t be surprised if the next mathematics anomaly takes place at our doorstep.”

He added: “We move when there’s interference, when all roads are closed – for hours - because she’s going to her hairdresser.”

He argued that if members of the civil society do nothing when such abuse is taking place in Rivers, Ibadan and Lagos, then Nigerians should not be surprised when a curfew is imposed the next time she is visiting their state.

He called on Dame Jonathan to take a cue from President Barack Obama’s wife, stating: “We ask unelected people to look around and see how the Mrs. Michelle Obamas of the world are conducting themselves,” adding, however, that if the Dames of this world do not learn, “we must educate them.”

Asked if he was a friend of the embattled Rivers State Governor Rotimi Amaechi, Soyinka replied: “That Amaechi is my friend is not an allegation,” because he would be friends with anyone who has been given the mandate of the people through the electoral process.

According to him, he is not afraid to be associated with such if they are fulfilling their obligations and responsibilities of governance. He added: “To say the Governor of Rivers is my close friend is like saying Kayode Fayemi or Dr. Babangida Aliyu or Governor Ibikunle Amosun or even the Second Republic Governor, Mohammed Shugaba, in Shagari’s administration, is my friend.”

However, Soyinka said ‘it’s not a matter of friendship,” but defence of democracy and truth, stressing that he would not be afraid to switch loyalty if the people he once praised change and start oppressing the very people who elected them.

Meanwhile, he commended Governor Godswill Akpabio of Akwa Ibom State who he said has provided educational opportunities for all in the state.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php/national-news/127772-why-im-at-war-with-first-lady-by-soyinka

http://www.theguardianmobile.com/readNewsItem1.php?nid=15625

5 Likes

Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by dayokanu(m): 5:20am On Jul 22, 2013
Well said Wole Soyinka. You have always stood for the truth

Whether its to fight for Biafra and end up in jail

Whether its to be the negotiator for MEND

Whether its to lead protest against the cabal to make Retardeen Jonathan president

You even supported the appointment of Patience Retardeen the Shepopotamus as Special adviser.

Now its left to Retardeen to put a leash on the SHEPOPOTAMUS

Once again well said Kongi

54 Likes

Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by egift(m): 5:41am On Jul 22, 2013
Bull-eye! Right on point. Nigeria will get better if law-abiding Nigerians will stand by the truth.

Thank you Soyinka. God bless Nigeria.

8 Likes

Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by Maxymilliano(m): 5:44am On Jul 22, 2013

“People said I call her a domestic appendage, what’s the problem with that? What’s the problem with Madam Shepopotamus?”

Uncouth and unbecoming of an elder statesman ...

43 Likes

Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by damoskiy(m): 5:45am On Jul 22, 2013
Well said uncle WOLE.you could not have said it better.she should be called to order by her husband

1 Like

Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by Standing5(m): 5:50am On Jul 22, 2013
Do or die politics does not leave room for correction in the public.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by Burger01(m): 6:07am On Jul 22, 2013
Uncle Wole, just ignore this 'madam Shepopotamus'. You can't definitely descend so low engaging 'madam Shepopotamus' in grammatical tantrums.

Abeg uncle, bone her side Jare. Don't let her tarnish your image sir.

sad

1 Like

Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by pheyikemi: 6:08am On Jul 22, 2013
Maxymilliano:

Uncouth and unbecoming of an elder statesman ...
that's d only part ur eyes would see. Why not read d corrective parts nd learn frm it too. No wonder Nig is still d way it is wiv pple like u.

38 Likes

Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by sambos994(m): 6:11am On Jul 22, 2013
I understand his frustration. The way Nigerian politicians do things in their own country is appalling...

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by awodman: 6:12am On Jul 22, 2013
Maxymilliano:

People said I call her a domestic appendage, what’s the problem with that? What’s the problem with Madam Shepopotamus?”

Seems Soyinka now has a penchant for uncouth languages...even if you want to correct someone and in doing that you lace insults on the person naturally the person will become infuriated and would never listen to whatever you have to say...

Our dear soyinka there is something called COMMON SENSE...seek it and apply it or risk further insults from people who on a normal day would not dare exchanging words with you..

32 Likes

Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by Maxymilliano(m): 6:16am On Jul 22, 2013
pheyikemi: that's d only part ur eyes would see. Why not read d corrective parts nd learn frm it too. No wonder Nig is still d way it is wiv pple like u.

And what has Nigeria become with people like you who applaud elders correcting someone with insult and name-calling?

5 Likes

Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by 5columnist: 6:19am On Jul 22, 2013
Sad... Now there is a new word ... A word is a enough for the wise. I thought this man had wisdom but he is basking more in the folly of entertaining Nigerians with words. Shepopotamus is so chauvinistic. Sad.

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by pheyikemi: 6:21am On Jul 22, 2013
Maxymilliano:

And what has Nigeria become with people like you who applaud correcting someone with insult and name-calling?
Abeg park ur sorry as$ to one side, even a lay man knws d reason behind ur thread is to mouth abusive words @ him.

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by Maxymilliano(m): 6:27am On Jul 22, 2013
pheyikemi: Abeg park ur sorry as$ to one side, even a lay man knws d reason behind ur thread is to mouth abusive words @ him.

And where is the abusive words I've mouthed so far, or does uncouth and unbecoming sounds abusive to your blockhead? ?

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by 5columnist: 6:31am On Jul 22, 2013
pheyikemi: Abeg park ur sorry as$ to one side, even a lay man knws d reason behind ur thread is to mouth abusive words @ him.

We all really need to calm down and not toe the same line with our elders on this one. Be he Prof or shepopotamus. I don't feel great addressing First Lady in this manner in my attempt to highlight why all the insults are unnecessary. Let us not be subjective.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by NwaTeacher1: 6:37am On Jul 22, 2013
This old parrot will not stop to amaze me. Must you look 4 attention at all time. Ur a cultist

1 Like

Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by biafranqueen: 6:37am On Jul 22, 2013
I said it she should see what 1st ladies are busy doing. Governor race is coming up if she wants to run things she should put her name as a contender! See if her people will vote her in or not .
Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by abu12: 6:48am On Jul 22, 2013
that if the Dames of this world do not learn, “we must educate them.”.

Gbam

4 Likes

Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by Ngwakwe: 6:52am On Jul 22, 2013
Why can't this megalomania keep quite on this supposed/perceived PEJ and Amaechi rancour, he has exposed his bitter part and irrespective of all calls from his admirers to keep shut.

Wole Soyinka, you are on a spiral depreciation and in conflict of personal interest or probably disdain for womanhood.

Enough of you and madam PEJ.

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by Brimmie(m): 6:54am On Jul 22, 2013
[size=20]New Word: Shepopotamus grin grin Soyinka, Easy On The Illiterate Na! [/size]

4 Likes

Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by slap1(m): 6:55am On Jul 22, 2013
LOL at Shepopotamus! Creative, I must say!

For those who think it's an insult, it's actually called a metaphor. The First Lady has carried herself, recently, in the manner of a hippo: bullish, uncordinated, destructive and over-zealous! So it's not actually a name-calling. If you recall during the days of Obasanjo's library, when Dangote, Adenuga and others were literally 'forced' to donate towards the library project (Adenuga was 'punished' for donating below the amount OBJ told him to donate), Soyinka termed the donation process 'executive extortion'. It's metaphor, people!

Last week, Jose Mourinho said his Chelsea players trained like animals. . .do you consider that an insult? NO!

44 Likes

Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by alienvirus: 6:59am On Jul 22, 2013
Spot on Prof. Wole for President!
Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by alienvirus: 7:00am On Jul 22, 2013
Hey! What is the meaning of Shepopo pls?
Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by pheyikemi: 7:01am On Jul 22, 2013
Maxymilliano:

And where is the abusive words I've mouthed so far, or does uncouth and unbecoming sounds abusive to your blockhead? ?
Is dat all u can say shocked ? I'm so disappointed in u. I guess blockhead z d only english u undastnd. Can't u read inbtw lines? Read all u've posted nd c hu d real blockhead is. .

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by slikcipher(m): 7:05am On Jul 22, 2013
Never knew Wole is this jobless and bored.

4 Likes

Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by slap1(m): 7:05am On Jul 22, 2013
alienvirus: Hey! What is the meaning of Shepopo pls?
She popo is for the wife, while he popo is the husband. . .both are of the hippopotamus family.

21 Likes

Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by mancheeutd(m): 7:06am On Jul 22, 2013
well said prof its not about friendship but rather standing for the truth. Be careful what you wish for madam.
Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by mancheeutd(m): 7:08am On Jul 22, 2013
slikcipher: Never knew Wole is this jobless and bored.

if standing for wats truth is termed jobless and bored in your dictionary you can get him a.job

4 Likes

Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by 5columnist: 7:13am On Jul 22, 2013
slap1: LOL at Shepopotamus! Creative, I must say!

For those who think it's an insult, it's actually called a metaphor. The First Lady has carried herself, recently, in the manner of a hippo: bullish, uncordinated, destructive and over-zealous! So it's not actually a name-calling. If you recall during the days of Obasanjo's library, when Dangote, Adenuga and others were literally 'forced' to donate towards the library project (Adenuga was 'punished' for donating below the amount OBJ told him to donate), Soyinka termed the donation process 'executive extortion'. It's metaphor, people!

Last week, Jose Mourinho said his Chelsea players trained like animals. . .do you consider that an insult? NO!
Metaphor that translates to what? Enough of this nonsense. I see you are definitely entertained and have found name calling directed at PEJ a new source of amusement.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by slap1(m): 7:13am On Jul 22, 2013
The title of the thread is subjective and misleading. It implies that the prof. has accepted that he is at war with PEJ (as opposed to actually educating and advicing her), and is now trying to justify the 'war'.
Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by slikcipher(m): 7:14am On Jul 22, 2013
mancheeutd:

if standing for wats truth is termed jobless and bored in your dictionary you can get him a.job

Oga go back to sleep

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Anisulowo After She Regained Her Freedom From Kidnappers (Photo) / New Petrol Price: A Shift From Subsidy To Profit Making / 2019: South-West APC May Replace Buhari With Tinubu – Dele Momodu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.