Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:22 AM

The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known (19846 Views)

Coming From A Jonathan Fan In Imo State.. You Wont Believe This! / Ebonyi State You May Not Know. / I Have Known Omisore Since I Was 20years Of Age - VP Namadi Sambo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by Nobody: 10:29am On Jul 22, 2013
Mehn...lots of stuff about ebonyi state here ooo. Wow!!!
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by diarra94(m): 11:31am On Jul 22, 2013
God bless nigeria.
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by goldfish80(m): 11:58am On Jul 22, 2013
Wow! Lovely pictures!! Godbless mother nature

OP failed to mention the huge limestone deposits in Ebonyi and the moribond Nkalagu cement company which has the capacity to employ about 10000 'Casual' workers, not to mention main staff.
Ebonyi is really under-valued in terms of natural reasources.
Lest I forget, oil was first discovered in Ebonyi not Bayelsa.
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jul 22, 2013
Op I need to know how much one can buy a standard plot of land in Ebonyi.Not necessarily Abakiliki. Please inbox me.
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by backtosender: 1:18pm On Jul 22, 2013
ebonyi state has the capacity to feed the region they got some good soil there
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by Adejoro74: 2:46pm On Jul 22, 2013
chidindufrank: Op I need to know how much one can buy a standard plot of land in Ebonyi.Not necessarily Abakiliki. Please inbox me.

Don't know off the cuff. Sorry.
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by NRIPRIEST(m): 3:59pm On Jul 22, 2013
Ebonyi is very blessed,indeed.
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by achi4u(m): 4:22pm On Jul 22, 2013
chidindufrank: Op I need to know how much one can buy a standard plot of land in Ebonyi.Not necessarily Abakiliki. Please inbox me.
price varies from town to town.

Name ur location and I will give you some prices.

@op thanks for ur time and energy.
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by IGBOSON1: 4:25pm On Jul 22, 2013
Any pics of Abakaliki?......especially works at the new secretariat, and the tall office block i heard is being built.

All Ebonyi needs is a dynamic youthful Governor (with a vision) to build on what Governor Elechi has put in place. I started cutting him some slack when i realised he has managed to place Ebonyi at the top in the IGR stakes in the South East.....even beating the obvious two you would expect to outperform their peers.

1 Like

Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by Adejoro74: 4:40pm On Jul 22, 2013
IGBO-SON:
Any pics of Abakaliki?......especially works at the new secretariat, and the tall office block i heard is being built.

All Ebonyi needs is a dynamic youthful Governor (with a vision) to build on what Governor Elechi has put in place. I started cutting him some slack when i realised he has managed to place Ebonyi at the top in the IGR stakes in the South East.....even beating the obvious two you would expect to outperform their peers.

Nwanna, lets' not dilute this thread with photos of Abakaliki houses. There is another thread that may serve that purpose. https://www.nairaland.com/771556/abakaliki-land-untapped-treasures#16957711

This one is about the rural potentials of Ebonyi. Ndewo
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by Buchianom(m): 6:31pm On Jul 22, 2013
Nyz work OP. I av sm Ebonyians as friends $ one natural thing about them is that they ar HARDWORKING!!
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by Goddex: 6:45pm On Jul 22, 2013
Ebonyi is ignorantly underrated even here on nairaland. The capital Abakaliki is a lot better than most state capitals I have been to. Their expansive rice mill complex is a wonder to behold. The quality of private buildings dotting the city is another site attraction. They have good dual carriageways criss-crossing the entire city. The last time I drove past there, the Federal Government was completing dualisation of the Spera-in-due heading Ezamgbo and also the Spera-in-due heading Ogoja axis.

Their big setback are the Ezza and Izzi. Apart from their timid lifestyle the people are so engrossed in the traditional farming practices and love war like the way a Calabar man like dog meat.
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by yorubaruler: 7:26pm On Jul 22, 2013
Abakaliki, A Land Of Untapped Treasures

Okey Egboluche
September 28, 2011

Ebonyi State, South-East Nigeria, popularly known as the Salt of the Nation, came into existence on October 1, 1996. It was carved out of the Old Enugu and Abia States. On creation, the new state chose Abakaliki, a prominent town in pre-independence Nigeria, as its capital city. Since then, the modest city of Abakaliki has become a beehive of activities as it has continuously witnessed an influx of people from all corners of the state (politicians, civil servants, students, and businessmen) as well from the far-flung regions of Nigeria. It has also become a major stop-over town for transporters/passengers en route Northern Nigeria, especially those dealing on farm produce.
alt
Photo 1: A panoramic view of Ebonyi State Govt. House, Abakaliki

Abakaliki is located less than two hours from Uburu, a town renowned for its salt deposits, and just about an hour from Enugu, the capital of Eastern Nigeria. Being the nearest major town to Enugu has also meant that many business ventures easily spread to the city. As a result, Abakaliki can justifiably be regarded as Enugu extension.

The city has also witnessed quantum development in infrastructure. There is a state university, the Ebonyi State University, EBSU; three tertiary health institutions: the Federal Medical Centre, FMC, the Ebonyi State University Teaching Hospital, EBSUTH (both of which have been merged to become a Federal Teaching Hospital), and the National Fistula Centre; a federal secretariat; the ultra-modern Abakpa Market; two TV stations; two radio stations; the gigantic 18-storey shopping complex, located around Presco Junction, which is nearing completion; as well as an array of banks. Also, the Federal University, Ikwo, the Federal Polytechnic, Uwana, and the now moribund Eagle Cement Company located at Nkalagu, though not in Abakaliki, share proximity with the city.

The major roads in the city are very accessible and adorned with an array of beautiful flowers. The major roads are Ogoja Road (now Sam Egwu Road), Water Works Road, Ezza Road, and Afikpo Road.

Abakaliki is well known for its prowess in arable farming, especially in rice (hence the name, Abakaliki rice) and yam. It also has a thriving quarry industry. But beyond these, the South-Eastern city has other sides too. The indigenes are a very hospitable people. This hospitable disposition has also been imbibed by its residents. For this reason, a visitor to the city has nothing to worry about as he is sure to be welcomed with such greetings as ‘Jokwa!’, ‘Deeje!’, ‘Tokwehu!’, or ‘Idi ike!’ as well as a sumptuous meal of specially prepared Abakaliki rice. For those who cherish fresh palm wine, it does not cost much in the city and complimenting it with readily available bush meat will give you an experience you will never forget. One would also be lucky to get a taste of local delicacies like groundnut soup or Esisa soup with either garri or fufu.

The hospitable disposition of Abakaliki indigenes is also clearly demonstrated in the city’s thriving hospitality industry. The city boasts of myriad relaxation spots for those who want to feel the touch of style. These include Nkwegu Ugbala - The Grand Arena, Heritage Restaurant, Flavours, Salt Lake Night Club, Diamond Point, Prisons Club, and so on. For those who enjoy fast foods, your best bets include Crunchies, City Cheff, City Exotic, Veecee Foods, Mr. Biggs, Feed Well Restaurant, among others. Abakaliki Golf Course, located along Ezza Road, and the lawn tennis court are good leisure spots. The stadium hosts regular sports activities, especially football. If you need to sleep over in the town, which you cannot afford not to, then there are such exquisite hotels and guest houses as Grace Court Hotel, Salt Spring Hotel, Salt Lake Hotel, Eagle Royal Hotel, Ebonyi Hotels, Osborn La Palm Royal Resort, and so on. And if you like them cheap, you’re your choices would be Denco Hotels, EBSU Guest House, Benkol Hotel, Metro View Hotel, and so on. Whichever one you choose, you are sure to have a good time.
alt
Photo 2: Osborn La Palm Hotel, Abakaliki

The newest of them all, Osborn La Palm Resort, is indeed in a class of its own. Opened to the public on May 28, 2011, the hotel’s natural ambience and grandeur, comparable to the best in Nigeria, would charm any visitor. Its avenues are dotted with beautiful palm trees and assorted flowers, making the environment very natural and full of life. The rooms on offer at the hotel include the presidential suite with kitchenette, the executive double suite, the executive single suite, diplomatic double and single suite with tastefully furnished rooms, bathrooms, intercom and an indoor swimming pool. There is a 24-hour service, uninterrupted electric power supply, wireless internet service connection, and a wide range of continental dishes for all classes of guests.

For health and fitness aficionados, the hotel has an ultra modern gymnasium which is open to the public. Interestingly, the hotel’s executive double suite has a mini-gym and Jacuzzi. It also has spa treatment, an attraction which only a few hotels in Nigeria can boast of. A visitor can have body massage, steam bath and sauna. The hotel management promises even more packages soon.

Speaking on why she left Lagos and relocated to Abakaliki, the Manager of Osborn La Palm Resort, Mrs. Dikibo, who had a stint with Terrace Green Hotel located at Ajao Estate, off International Airport Road, Lagos, and whose experience in hotel management has come handy in the day to day running of Osborn, said: “It was an adventure, it made me wiser. As it is said, a traveller is wiser than a grey-haired man sitting at a place. My travelling has exposed me to people and it has been a wonderful experience in Abakaliki. I have no regrets.” Her promise to guests is “excellent service”.

So, come to Abakaliki and experience life in a virgin land full of opportunities for the discerning mind.

(Quote) (Report) (Like)

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/okey-egboluche/abakaliki-a-land-of-untapped-treasures.html
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by Nobody: 7:27pm On Jul 22, 2013
Yay! Last time i was there. I saw lovely private homes. I mean lovely, lovely, big private homes. Their land is untapped and needs folks like Dangote, etc to harness their salt, rice, limestone, palm oil, yams. The state can feed south east and the middle belt. This is not an exaggeration. They really need a visionary leader and more agricultural firms/investments.
The topic worths hitting the front page though.

1 Like

Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jul 22, 2013
achi4u: price varies from town to town.

Name ur location and I will give you some prices.

@op thanks for ur time and energy.
Afikpo
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by Onyegecha(f): 8:36pm On Jul 22, 2013
Very enlightening post. I love Ebonyi state. May God give them the wisdom to elect a good leader that will deliver them from poverty.

1 Like

Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by taharqa2: 9:50pm On Jul 22, 2013
Goddex: Ebonyi is ignorantly underrated even here on nairaland. The capital Abakaliki is a lot better than most state capitals I have been to. Their expansive rice mill complex is a wonder to behold. The quality of private buildings dotting the city is another site attraction. They have good dual carriageways criss-crossing the entire city. The last time I drove past there, the Federal Government was completing dualisation of the Spera-in-due heading Ezamgbo and also the Spera-in-due heading Ogoja axis.

Their big setback are the Ezza and Izzi. Apart from their timid lifestyle the people are so engrossed in the traditional farming practices and love war like the way a Calabar man like dog meat.
Really? Why have I always viewed the State in a not too edifying light then?? Very interesting, in deed...
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by taharqa2: 9:54pm On Jul 22, 2013
IGBO-SON:

Really? Are you sure about this Bros??...
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by taharqa2: 9:59pm On Jul 22, 2013
@OP, thnk you much for this damn ENLIGHTENING thread. Honestly, I hv always viewed Ebonyi in a not too positive light.... Let me just sit back now and LEARN......... By d way, I love d huge Agric Potential you highlighted, esp d Rice Fields/Mills
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by Adejoro74: 10:02pm On Jul 22, 2013
http://www.nigerianorientnews.com/?p=2106

Ebonyi State.

The major cities that make up Ebonyi State include Afikpo, Uburu, Nkalagu, Ishiagu, Okposi, Amasiri, Onicha, Abakaliki, Eba Unwana and Onueke with a conservative population of well over 3.5 million people (though controversial official figures put it at 2,173, 501 as at 2006 census). This large population, with a sizeable number being agrarian, no doubt, is a factor to be reckoned with by any eagle-eyed investor especially in the Agric sector.

The state has rich and fertile farmlands, thus it is no surprise that many see the state as the food basket of the South-East because of its richness in rice and yam produce in addition to other farm produce like cocoa, maize, groundnut, plantain, banana, cassava, melon, sugarcane, local beans, fruits vegetables and palm produce. Today, Abakaliki rice has become a household name second to none when it comes to local production. Agriculturalists still believe that the industry is yet to be stretched to its fullest capacity and it still under mechanized.

Known as Salt of the nation because of the rich salt deposits found in commercial quantity in Okposi, Enyigba and Uburu salt lakes, Ebonyi State clearly stand out as a potential destination of interest to investors. The Uburu salt industry has over the years continued to churn out processed and unprocessed table salt, yet there seems to be a yawning gap of underproduction in its efforts hence, any ambitious investor can hatch into the lacuna to make a life-long fortune.

There are vast deposits of solid minerals such as limestone at Nkalagu, Ishiagu and Okpoto. In fact in the 70’s through the 90’s Nigeria Cement Company Limited (NIGERCEM), a cement manufacturing company located at Nkalagu churned out bags of cement to serve the construction needs of South East and various parts of Nigeria. The company was owned by the East Central State which now comprises of the South East States. Though the company has been grounded due to mismanagement, it still serves as a haven for potential investors who stand a chance of enjoying a comparative cost advantage among its contemporaries.

Abakaliki has a thriving quarry industry. The stones are conveyed to various parts of Nigeria from the quarry site at Agahgboriga. Laterite and marbles can be found in every part of the state to boost the activities of construction industries. Lead and zinc can be found at Enyigba and Ishiagu. There are also deposits of zinc at Oshiri and Uburu while Izzi has become a Mecca of miners including expatriates who are cashing into the deposits of lead and zinc oxide in the area. Although crude oil deposits had been speculated to be at Ugwu Ajim, Ogbu-Edda and Uwanna it is yet to be explored. It is the same with the coal deposit at Enohia, Ozizza and Ndibe which is yet to be tapped.

The Fertilizer Blending Plant in Onuebonyi in Izzi L.G.A comes as a huge relief for arable farmers in Ebonyi State. Several foreign investors continue to express their interest in partnering with the company. The Nkaliki Hatchery that produced poultry livestock and eggs has been grounded although with its structures still existing, it serves as an investment potential. The rearing of livestock like goats, pigs, chickens, cows and horses are also popular in the state. Cattle ranching takes place in the Onicha, Ohaozara and Ishielu local government areas.

The Abakpa Market, one of Ebonyi’s major market is always full of merchants and traders from various parts of the country. An ultra-modern market initiated by the Governor Elechi administration is near completion. The Abakaliki shopping centre, a twelve storey gigantic edifice, strategically located in the heart of the city is also being constructed to provide a conducive environment for businesses to thrive. Various markets exist at the various major cities in the State.

Abakaliki may not be as industrialized as other south-eastern cities, but the city has readily cheap labour. The resilience of many of the labourers in the state can be seen at the quarry sites and various building projects where not only young men but women are involved in mixing the cement and concrete and laying blocks. This is indeed an advantage that the area may provide for investors in the area of cost-effective and readily available labour.

Some notable industries have been gaining from the potentials in Ebonyi State. The Abakaliki Rice Milling Industry is top amongst them. Basically a private sector driven industry, the millers have remained resilient and innovative. In its bid to boost rice production, the Federal Government through the Ministry of Agriculture and in conjunction with the Ebonyi State government established three rice clusters at Iboko in Izzi L.G.A, Onu Igboji in Ikwo L.G.A and Osso Edda in Afikpo South L.G.A. The move has led to the production of Ebonyi Gold, Abakaliki rice, first grade local rice which is polished and does not look different from the imported foreign rice. It is being exported to other parts of Africa and can be bought from prime centres in various parts of Nigeria.

Chief Sam Ugwu, former Chairman of Manufacturers Association of Nigeria and an erstwhile Minister of Commerce and Industry is a major player in the ultra-modern Abakaliki rice project. Like Chief Ugwu there are some other entrepreneurs who are also reaping from the vast investment windows in Ebonyi State. One of them notably is Arch. Nwankwegu who owns the Edon Group of Companies.

Edon Aluminium Manufacturing Company manufactures roofing sheets and it has gone a long way in helping to solve the building construction needs in the state. Nkwegwu also owns the Nkwegwu Ugbala-Event Centre, a massive recreational and hospitality outfit that houses a tower, swimming pool, fast food eatery, restaurant, a hall and tents for all classes of events. Many visitors marvel that such an edifice is in Abakaliki. But indigenes believe the tourism and hospitality industry which has high potency to thrive in the State is grossly under ploughed. “It is underutilized,” Ifeoma Eze, a visitor said. “I come from a bigger city but we cannot boast of such.” Ebonyians know how to have fun; the Afikpo beach is usually a beehive of activities at weekends and public holidays as fun seekers gather there. This is a tourist potential that government should focus more on or encourage investors to upgrade it. Notable hotels in Abakaliki, the state capital are Osborn La Palm Royal Resort, Salt Spring Hotel, Ebonyi Hotel, Salt Lake Hotel, and Grace Court Hotel amongst others, yet these are not enough to assuage the ever increasing thirst of visitors and indigenes alike.

Afikpo, and by extension, Ebonyi State boasts of a very rich cultural heritage. Their traditional dances such as Nkwa Umuagbogho, Nkwanwite and Oji anya lere are of international reckoning. Because of its versatility and richness it is often one of the dances of Nigerian Cultural troupe. These cultural displays have huge potentials of marketing the state. The great Zik of Africa, Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe picked his wife Uche, from the dancers that came to entertain him in one of his outings. Across various communities are festivals that can be repackaged to draw national and international attention. The Ojiji new yam festival in Izzi draws back more people to the town more than the Christmas and New Year festivities. It can be made to look like the Offala festival of Onitsha, Eyo festival (Lagos) the Argungun fishing festival, the Durbar, the Ikeji (Imo state) or the Lebokun festival (Cross River State) where major companies notably the communication companies like MTN and Airtel sponsor and promote the events.

Interestingly and perhaps, most pertinent is that electric power supply in Ebonyi State has been adjudged one of the best by the South-industrialists. This is a plus for industrialists who intend to invest in the area as cost of production would be drastically reduced to give them an edge on other investors in other parts of the country.

In terms of security, Ebonyi State is one of the few States known for safety and relative peace in terms of criminalities and to a large extent, intra community scuffles.

1 Like

Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by Adejoro74: 10:10pm On Jul 22, 2013
Defence Industry project for Ebonyi

http://beegeagle./2013/06/05/chief-of-army-staff-lays-foundation-for-army-composite-ration-factory-at-abakaliki-major-general-agha-okoros-remains-to-be-interred-6th-june/

CHIEF OF ARMY STAFF LAYS FOUNDATION FOR ARMY COMPOSITE RATION FACTORY AT ABAKALIKI

1 Like

Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by Adejoro74: 10:14pm On Jul 22, 2013
........The move has led to the production of Ebonyi Gold, Abakaliki rice, first grade local rice which is polished and does not look different from the imported foreign rice. It is being exported to other parts of Africa and can be bought from prime centres in various parts of Nigeria.

Way to go, Ebonyi
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by Adejoro74: 10:18pm On Jul 22, 2013
Nkwegwu also owns the Nkwegwu Ugbala-Event Centre, a massive recreational and hospitality outfit that houses a tower, swimming pool, fast food eatery, restaurant, a hall and tents for all classes of events. Many visitors marvel that such an edifice is in Abakaliki. But indigenes believe the tourism and hospitality industry which has high potency to thrive in the State is grossly under ploughed. “It is underutilized,” Ifeoma Eze, a visitor said. “I come from a bigger city but we cannot boast of such.” Ebonyians know how to have fun; the Afikpo beach is usually a beehive of activities at weekends and public holidays as fun seekers gather there. This is a tourist potential that government should focus more on or encourage investors to upgrade it. Notable hotels in Abakaliki, the state capital are Osborn La Palm Royal Resort, Salt Spring Hotel, Ebonyi Hotel, Salt Lake Hotel, and Grace Court Hotel amongst others, yet these are not enough to assuage the ever increasing thirst of visitors and indigenes alike.

Cool
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by Onlytruth(m): 10:19pm On Jul 22, 2013
Bro Adejoro74, I swear one of those guys grinning from ear to ear over "palmie" is you. grin
Thanks for a great thread.
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by Adejoro74: 10:22pm On Jul 22, 2013
Onlytruth: Bro Adejoro74, I swear one of those guys grinning from ear to ear over "palmie" is you. grin
Thanks for a great thread.

For where!!!! I am at least 1000 kms away from Ebonyi. It's all on the internet. grin grin grin
The guy is actually a Yoruba web designer involved in the design of the website I lifted the photo from.

Ebonyi needs more exposure. Great people.
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by Afam4eva(m): 10:31pm On Jul 22, 2013
Rural Ebonyi looks really nice. I never knew Ebonyi had that much body of water.
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by Afam4eva(m): 10:32pm On Jul 22, 2013
Adejoro74:
11. It produced the first and only governor of Eastern Nigeria
Apart from Akanu Ibiam, we had ZIK, Opara and Ukpabi Asika,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Anambra Election: UN Foreign Election Observers Storm Nnewi (Pictures) / Massob Members Killed In Onitsha (Picture) / Jonathan Fires All Law School Directors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.