Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,098 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:05 PM

The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known (19850 Views)

Coming From A Jonathan Fan In Imo State.. You Wont Believe This! / Ebonyi State You May Not Know. / I Have Known Omisore Since I Was 20years Of Age - VP Namadi Sambo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by Nobody: 8:51am On Dec 02, 2013
PhenomenonVFX: The next person especially from the Southeast who insults the governor of Ebonyi will be in for the argument of his life with me. Like Seriously? Ebonyi has the highest IGR?
What are the governors of Anambra and Abia doing? It is either they are deliberately under quoting their IGR or they are not doing their jobs well. Either way, they should be hanged. Those states are capable of generating IGRs 10 times that of Ebonyi when we consider the commerce and the population there.
I served in Enugu. And the people there even made me believe there was nothing to boast about in Ebonyi. That is why I never visited the place. And nairalanders have reinforced that belief until I stumbled on this thread. This goes to show the power of the media.
I am just waiting for the next unlucky sod who will talk jack about Elechi.
gringringrin, as in enh!
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by Nobody: 9:45am On Dec 02, 2013
INNOisBACK: Are you kidding me? shocked Ebonyi's IGR 1.25 billion? I'm begginning to think, elechi just like sullivan doesnt believe in 'Media Development propaganda' just like some folks we know, good one from ebonyi I just hope Obiano reciprocates the same in Anambra, no doubt, Anambra has the potentials of generating as much as #3B monthly, just that the Gov't is too imcompetent, while the rich billionaires in Onitsha and Nnewi keep ripping people off!

So, how will anambra go about it now?
Taxation?
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by Nobody: 9:47am On Dec 02, 2013
achi4u: We in Ebonyi state knows where our old man is taking us to.
I like it when he put a solid and quality structure in whatever he want to built, though very few.
There's no part of Ebonyi state that is not connected with good road, electricity, bridges and pipe born water. Truly he is trying.

U no dey play with this your state at all.
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by Nobody: 10:17am On Dec 02, 2013
ngozievergreen:

So, how will anambra go about it now?
Taxation?
NO! angry Begging undecided
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by Afam4eva(m): 10:24am On Dec 02, 2013
Most of Ebonyi's IGR is gotten from agriculture and Ebonyi is the foodbasket of the SE. The reason why other states in that region seem to be lagging behind is because if they were to increase their IGR, it will be mainly from taxation and the taxation culture in the SE is apalling. Like someone said, Anambra and Abia's IGR alone should ordinariliy be ten times that of Ebonyi but Ebonyi seems to be holding the ace at the moment and they have to be commended for that.

1 Like

Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by Psychedelia(m): 10:41am On Dec 02, 2013
In 2010, Ebonyi's IGR was at N500 Million. They tried to map out plans on how to increase it.
http://www.allafrica.com/stories/201004230332.html?mstac=0

At 1.25bn today, they're also trying to further expand it. Their current target is N8.85bn.

And they're doing all this without the media noise, PR overdrive and meaningless pageantry.
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by Nobody: 10:55am On Dec 02, 2013
INNOisBACK: gringringrin, as in enh!

Guy I tell u. I dey provoke for here
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by Dannylux: 10:58am On Dec 02, 2013
Why isn't this on the front page?
Ebonyi is very crude and proper tapping of its potentials would amass to much benefits!

What the OP said is very True and the world needs to know!

And worthy of mention is the international market being built in Ebonyi state as we speak.
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by Nobody: 10:58am On Dec 02, 2013
Psychedelia: In 2010, Ebonyi's IGR was at N500 Million. They tried to map out plans on how to increase it.
http://www.allafrica.com/stories/201004230332.html?mstac=0

At 1.25bn today, they're also trying to further expand it. Their current target is N8.85bn.

And they're doing all this without the media noise, PR overdrive and meaningless pageantry.

Imagine o. Between 2010 and 2013 they have multiplied to almost 300% and they are expanding.
Elechi is now the best performing governor in the SE in my opinion.
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by Psychedelia(m): 11:12am On Dec 02, 2013
PhenomenonVFX:

Imagine o. Between 2010 and 2013 they have multiplied to almost 300% and they are expanding.
Elechi is now the best performing governor in the SE in my opinion.

LOOOL! Slow down naaa grin
Say you increase revenue generation no necessarily mean say you dey use the money for social programmes wey go help the masses. All the cash still fit dey enter only your pocket while the rest of the people starve.
He may have aced his Agric Science and Economics classes, but Health nko? Education nko? grin
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by Nobody: 11:24am On Dec 02, 2013
Psychedelia:

Say you increase revenue generation no necessarily mean say you dey use the money for social programmes wey go help the masses. All the cash still fit dey enter only your pocket while the rest of the people starve.
He may have aced his Agric Science and Economics classes, but Health nko? Education nko? grin

LOL. Dude if u know how much I used to write off Ebonyi state, u will understand my new found enthralment with Elechi. I think people, me especially, havent been fair to the guy. Some of us dont even know anything about the place we are criticizing; we were just talking from hearsay. Hence my seeming over-compensation for the years of derision. wink
That said, since u are yet to prove that he is pocketing the money or not working on health and education, I will continue to laud him copiously.
And even if u prove to me he is pocketing the money, u will have to forgive me if I dont believe u because I did believe people who told me that Ebonyi has nothing. And look where we are today. grin

2 Likes

Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by juju2008(f): 12:20pm On Dec 02, 2013
Adejoro74: Abakaliki rice
Wow this is so nice.
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by Nobody: 1:53pm On Dec 02, 2013
INNOisBACK: NO! angry Begging undecided

What an answer
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by Dannylux: 2:27pm On Dec 02, 2013
Psychedelia:

Ebsu ranks 5th in the first 5 state Universities in Nigeria and 60th or 56th in general (Not sure)

Ebonyi represented Nigeria in 2009,2013 international debate Qatar and Turkey.

There's a debate called "Governor Elechi's debate" in Ebonyi. He's the overseer.

Ebonyi's health sector is very active too. Heard of mother and child care initiative(MCC1 )
His wife supervises it. its for polio control and eradication and problem associated with maternity.

Ebonyi ain't doing bad in education sector likewise the health sector. Just that a lot of people still hold on to the old belief that It's just another village. There aren't much infrastructure but feeding is hardly a problem in Ebonyi.
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by duke4ever: 2:47pm On Dec 02, 2013
I graduated from EBSU in 2008. Am from Anambra State. I must confess, people who berate Ebony don't know nor have visited the the State. The State is so natural, green and untapped. Visite Ebony today & confess.
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by Nuzo1(m): 3:19pm On Dec 02, 2013
I was wrote off and cajoled by some of my Igbo brothers and sisters (babyosisi) for stating some facts about Ebonyi some months back. Good thing even a Yoruba brother has gone to the young state to see for himself.

Ebonyi still has along way to go. Our inspiration is Dubai and Malaysia. grin

Below are some posts of my debate with babyosisi:

All of a sudden, Fashola's opinion has become a yardstick for Mrs Nwando's opinions.

Ebonyi was among the first places crude oil was discovered in commercial quantity in Nigeria. Politics, logistics and inept leadership wouldn't allow exploration take plce.

Ebonyi sits on over 21 solid mineral deposit. Again, politics and dumb leaader wouldn't make it happen.

Ebonyi has the largest salt deposit in Africa yet nothing was done about it when they were under Anambra, Enugu and Abia. Nothing much is still being done about it now.

Inspite of the massive r.a.pe of the state treasury by ex millitary and civilian governors and their cronies like Nwando's family....Ebonyi state and her indigenes have by a long and unbelievable stretch done very well in Education since when the state was created in 1996 as opposed to when they were in Anambra, Abia and Enugu.

I'm not a fan of the current governor but I like stating the truth when need be.
Dude pays as at when due unlike the so-called rich states who only pay salaries on paper and Nairaland while owing their teachers for six months.

Only a fool will think that the so-called rich states pay their workers with Internally generated revenue.

Should FG withhold States allocations, I can assure you that Enugu, Imo and the so-called rich states will be the first to collapse. We are not even talking about states outside south east.

Ebonyi and Nigeria at large need visionary and selfless leaders that can harness the abundant natural and human resourses in their various states and not merger with people who give Igbos bad name.

Yeye!

How is Ebonyi a disgrace to you or your family?

Ebonyi state is actually the fastest developing state in the South of Nigeria....or maybe second to Akpabio's Akwa-ibom.

Unlike you and madam who sit yo asszz in far away USA and make very ignorant statements...I'm well trvelled in and outside Nigeria. I urge you to do the same if you must comment on issues outside your village in Nigeria and your neighbourhood in USA.

Anybody who knew Ebonyi before and after creation would know there's been a difference in human and physical development. However, the difference is not that glaring from the times of Sam Egwu and now.

Unlike the over publicized Greater PHcity and Eko Atlantic....Ocho Udo city is a new city being built by the present Administration to replace the old Abakaliki city. A lot of structures has sprung up and its exected to be completed in 2016.

Beside the new city, the biggest ultra modern internationl market in Africa has been 95 percent completed. With that, south southerners, camerounians, Gabonese and many West African countries won't hve to travel all the way to Onitsha to buy their goods.

This market is strategic cos of Calabar sea ports.

When next you are in Ebonyi, sacrifice half of your day and chatter a taxi to take you to Ocho Udo city.

In carrying out these projects, the governor neglected the currrent Abakaliki town making visitors think that that's all to Ebonyi state.
He also seem to have contracted all the project to his croniess

You guys seem to be missing the point of the debate. Well, except you guys are attacking Ebonyi for some other personal reasons of which may be a heartbreaak from some Ebonyi guys or losing out of contracts.

No need for sentiments.

No doubt, Ebonyians are backward in terms of education when compared to older state like Anambra. And this was as a result of being marginalizedd when they were in Anambra, Enugu and Abia.

Inspite of the looting of state treasury by their past and present leaders, Ebonyians have and still massively enrolling in seconday and tertiary eduction in the state.

Ebonyi state had no university before state creation. Now the state has 2 federal universities, several polytechnics and a university that surpasses Esut and ASU oli in acedemic ratings. You can hardly sort your courses in EBSU....you must read!

Again, we accept we are backward but the young state that was created in 1996 has done more for the educationally 'backward' state than it did while in Anambra, Enugu and Abia.

Whether we convert all the LGAs to states or merge the whole S/eastern states together....bad leadership and corruption is the bane of development anywhere

https://www.nairaland.com/1309168/teachers-begin-strike-11-states/2#16005322

Some of the quote shouldn't be taken out of context hence why I pasted a link to where the discussion took place.

Ebonyians will always ally with their brothers and sisters to build Igboland and Nigeria in general.

Odiwo mma!
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by duke4ever: 3:32pm On Dec 02, 2013
I have a hunch that this state shall become the richest state in South East in the nearest future. The unsunged Old Daddy is getting it right. Hate if you like

1 Like

Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by kmariko: 3:56pm On Dec 02, 2013
Actually Ebony is the richest state in the East. Hint the IGR from rice. Salt .limestone. Marbles ( just a fraction of their resources) from a small population as Ebony could turn it into a well developed city state. But a selfless leadership is the key.
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by Pharoh: 4:44pm On Dec 02, 2013
This what i keep telling some igbo people that you can have the largest commercialization going on in onitsha and aba but if you don't lock the system to profit from it then the place cannot be developed if the government does not have alternative means of funding. They should be grateful that the allocation from the centre is helping the state government if not you have individuals making money but it does not go into development except building disorganized personal mansions.

The system is being locked in so many places like ebonyi, lagos etc and they are seeing the benefit of it but an average igbo man will want to evade tax and become rich. You can be rich and pay tax at the same time if you are not so much disposed to greediness in my humble opinion. Ebonyi state is clearly the most focused state in the southeast, they should just keep on focusing on the exploitation of their comparative advantage while developing their human capital and other important infrastructure or amenities.
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by Pharoh: 4:54pm On Dec 02, 2013
This is delta state with 5.7b per month as we are pursuing a delta state beyond oil policy so what we can be self sustaining when the oil dries up. You have to use your advantage now to help build up other self sustaining industries, the other igbo states like anambra and abia should have used the presence of heavy commercial activities within their domain to raise capital for needed development efforts.
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by Nobody: 5:14pm On Dec 02, 2013
kmariko: Actually Ebony is the richest state in the East. Hint the IGR from rice. Salt .limestone. Marbles ( just a fraction of their resources) from a small population as Ebony could turn it into a well developed city state. But a selfless leadership is the key.

Thats what I was saying.
Ebonyi govs have not really worked on the resources given to the state.
My problem with Elechi started from handing over ebonyi state teaching Hosp to federal, claiming he does not have funds,plus his prior treatment to health care staff.
Again, he has been preventing investors from tapping the state resources , I still don't understand y he did not allow ibeto to establish a cement production plant in the state, given the fact that the state has limestone; yet his own govt will not do the same.
We all know cement production is a lucrative industry in Nigeria, more so the cost of production in ebonyi will be very low for obvious reasons.
Am glad he woke up in the area of rice production tho.
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by Nobody: 5:15pm On Dec 02, 2013
Pharoh: This what i keep telling some igbo people that you can have the largest commercialization going on in onitsha and aba but if you don't lock the system to profit from it then the place cannot be developed if the government does not have alternative means of funding. They should be grateful that the allocation from the centre is helping the state government if not you have individuals making money but it does not go into development except building disorganized personal mansions.

The system is being locked in so many places like ebonyi, lagos etc and they are seeing the benefit of it but an average igbo man will want to evade tax and become rich. You can be rich and pay tax at the same time if you are not so much disposed to greediness in my humble opinion. Ebonyi state is clearly the most focused state in the southeast, they should just keep on focusing on the exploitation of their comparative advantage while developing their human capital and other important infrastructure or amenities.

I agree with u
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by ifechez: 5:17pm On Dec 02, 2013
PhenomenonVFX: The next person especially from the Southeast who insults the governor of Ebonyi will be in for the argument of his life with me. Like Seriously? Ebonyi has the highest IGR?
What are the governors of Anambra and Abia doing? It is either they are deliberately under quoting their IGR or they are not doing their jobs well. Either way, they should be hanged. Those states are capable of generating IGRs 10 times that of Ebonyi when we consider the commerce and the population there.
I served in Enugu. And the people there even made me believe there was nothing to boast about in Ebonyi. That is why I never visited the place. And nairalanders have reinforced that belief until I stumbled on this thread. This goes to show the power of the media.
I am just waiting for the next unlucky sod who will talk jack about Elechi.

The truth of the matter is that the states of anambra and abia (especially anambra) are under quoting their IGR. This I learnt is to be able to attract donor agencies to give the states more money. Becos if u look at a place like Awada with it's numerous 4 and 5 storey buildings that has been audited and documented. This was done to be able to tax the property owner accordingly as regards tenancy fee.
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by kmariko: 5:18pm On Dec 02, 2013
Another good thing going for Ebonyi is that it is a border state with an ungoing bank financed road construction connecting Nigeria and Cameroon - making it a stop center for Cameroonians and other central African countries trading with Nigeria.

I see a very well developed state in the near future.
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by remarkD(m): 5:23pm On Dec 02, 2013
8. It has 3 federal [Federal College of Agriculture Ishiagu, new Federal University in Ikwo, and Akanu Ibiam Fed Poly Unwana) and one State university(EBSU)] institutions of higher learning
The Federal College of Agriculture Ishiatu (what a name - of the ville/city/town) was moved from MOU in Abia, and they asked all the workers... well, my mother n other instructors to travel from Umudike to Ishiagu.... whether everyday abi for 5 days a week and come back for weekends... twas unfortunate.... that relocation, but when one door closes shaa, another opens... so Chukwu ma....
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by duke4ever: 5:30pm On Dec 02, 2013
and to think they have surpassed my state Anambra in IGR. Am shocked! Somebody is deceiving us in Anambra.
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by achi4u(m): 5:31pm On Dec 02, 2013
ngozievergreen:

U no dey play with this your state at all.
Ngozi you should've known that I don't have another state except Ebonyi, we have been cajoled for too long, we have been discriminated for no fault of ours.
We have been oppressed by our brothers from other states for too long.

We are not there yet anyway.
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by achi4u(m): 5:41pm On Dec 02, 2013
ngozievergreen:

Thats what I was saying.
Ebonyi govs have not really worked on the resources given to the state.
My problem with Elechi started from handing over ebonyi state teaching Hosp to federal, claiming he does not have funds,plus his prior treatment to health care staff.
Again, he has been preventing investors from tapping the state resources , I still don't understand y he did not allow ibeto to establish a cement production plant in the state, given the fact that the state has limestone; yet his own govt will not do the same.
We all know cement production is a lucrative industry in Nigeria, more so the cost of production in ebonyi will be very low for obvious reasons.
Am glad he woke up in the area of rice production tho.
Ngozi, ibeto wanted to enter the cement biz from the back door.
Let him come out clean and do business. simple.
If he succeeded in such a dirty deals now he will go and tell his 'umunna' in Otolo Nnewi that Ebonyians are an easy -going bush ppl.lol

Elechi na old soldier grin
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by ifechez: 5:41pm On Dec 02, 2013
achi4u: Ngozi you should've known that I don't have another state except Ebonyi, we have been cajoled for too long, we have been discriminated for no fault of ours.
We have been oppressed by our brothers from other states for too long.

We are not there yet anyway.

I love ebonyi state and it's people. I have alot of them as friends both here in Portharcourt and Onitsha. I may even marry from there. But one thing I love most is the fact that I have not seen an Igbo criminal who is from Ebonyi.
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by Nobody: 5:43pm On Dec 02, 2013
ifechez:

The truth of the matter is that the states of anambra and abia (especially anambra) are under quoting their IGR. This I learnt is to be able to attract donor agencies to give the states more money. Becos if u look at a place like Awada with it's numerous 4 and 5 storey buildings that has been audited and documented. This was done to be able to tax the property owner accordingly as regards tenancy fee.

I strongly suspect they are underquoting their IGR. Albeit underhanded, it is smart. I will like the federal govt to audit both states.
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by Afam4eva(m): 5:46pm On Dec 02, 2013
ifechez:

I love ebonyi state and it's people. I have alot of them as friends both here in Portharcourt and Onitsha. I may even marry from there. But one thing I love most is the fact that I have not seen an Igbo criminal who is from Ebonyi.
This is because they can be comfortable with what they have unlike the overambitious peeps from other states whose motor can be "Get Rich or Die trying"
Re: The Ebonyi State You May Not Have Known by kmariko: 5:52pm On Dec 02, 2013
PhenomenonVFX:

I strongly suspect they are underquoting their IGR. Albeit underhanded, it is smart. I will like the federal govt to audit both states.

It may appear smart but it is not. To an investor looking in it would seem that all is not well with both the governance and the economy of the state.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

We Didn't Bomb Madalla Church - Boko Haram / Atiku, Okorocha, Oyegun And Others Arrives Makurdi For Tor Tiv Coronation (pics) / Buhari: I'm Not Ready To Meet nPDP Members

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.