Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,132 members, 7,807,435 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:28 PM

Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True (20400 Views)

How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? / Accidented Or High Mileage Cars. Which Are Better? / Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by Nobody: 6:05pm On Jul 26, 2013
What is a Mileage? *runs away from thread*
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by princeonx: 6:07pm On Jul 26, 2013
click2cbn: What is a Mileage? *runs away from thread*

Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by princeonx: 6:09pm On Jul 26, 2013
Fhemmmy:

This business and thought me to make patience my best friend and to be so humble, cos no matter what and at the end of the day, the client is why we are in the business. . . .We have to learn not to just do what they want, but to educate some the right way.
You are a 100% right! Customer's always right! When they pay oh lol!
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by usaproperties: 6:46pm On Jul 26, 2013
everything is negotiable, the lower the miles the higher the price, the truth is that if you want all the options( leather, low miles, clean body)it cost money
you will find out that people want all these options and they don't want to pay much, so importers have no choice than to bring cars that have high miles, because if they don't, their competitors will
I found out that people actually want everything for nothing( when it comes to car buying in Nigeria) and its not possible
car prices are no secretes any more, people go online and when they see that a car sells for $15,000( for example) they call you in the USA to get the car for 8,000$( how are you supposed to do the miracle)

the truth is that the car business market in Nigeria is saturated, people that made money actually did 5 to 8 years ago!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by africanchilds: 6:52pm On Jul 26, 2013
Dereformer:

A man once asked me "what's the difference between a white man and a black man"? I said the body complexion, language,etc.

He said no It is "Conscience"

Are u white ?
Who says they dont scam as well
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by GooseBaba: 8:16pm On Jul 26, 2013
Dereformer:

A man once asked me "what's the difference between a white man and a black man"? I said the body complexion, language,etc.

He said no It is "Conscience"

Where did he get his answer from? From his head or his ANus..?
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by Nobody: 8:17pm On Jul 26, 2013
[quote author=prince_onx][/quote] guy, y u go laff me nah? I enta cab afta i post dat cum ask d driver to show me odoemeter, he cum dey show me speedometer! At least i beta pass d cab man . Lol
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by Perfectwazobia: 8:42pm On Jul 26, 2013
Nigerians want good rides with little money...Where is the saying cut ur cloth according to ur cloth and not ur size. Some with about #2m per annum want to drive thesame machine another person with about #12m per annum drivers. Is it possible? that is the problem with us here.
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by ceebo1420(m): 9:13pm On Jul 26, 2013
do you have a thread i can check ur cars and this is my mail agim_williams@yahoo.com i want a ford jeep tjat i will not be more than 1m
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by Fhemmmy: 9:14pm On Jul 26, 2013
ceebo1420: do you have a thread i can check ur cars and this is my mail agim_williams@yahoo.com i want a ford jeep tjat i will not be more than 1m

https://www.nairaland.com/689017/pre-0rder-like-no-other-guaranteed-satisfaction
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by bravolad(m): 9:43pm On Jul 26, 2013
I may agree with some of the responses but I most humbly would disagree with some of the car dealers' response about why they engage in odometer roll back. It is a sharp practice that spells doom for the end user of the car. A reputable dealer will not involve in that but may sell vehicles with high mileage. I do not see anything wrong with a dealer selling a high mileage car if the buyer (end user) so wishes to pay. It is also true that some buyers may want to get some cars at an unreasonable price, but does not necessarily mean that the dealer is bound to sell. What is also wrong if you have vehicles with clean tittles in your showroom so people can make choices at competitive prices. For me, on the balance of probability, someone can buy a high mileage car that has a good traceable maintenance history at the right price.

From my observation, some dealers are greedy and insincere. They want to make so much profit on a single transaction, therefore, they can do anything to ensure the client buys the car with a feeling of satisfaction that would be short lived. I do not think there is anything wrong in telling a customer that x amount cannot get you a certain model/brand of car & stick to it rather than engage in some unscrupulous transactions in other to make some gains.

Trust me, most end users who buy cars with odometer roll back are ignorant of the true state of the car. So to my understanding, such an underhand dealer would happily prey on the unsuspecting buyer. For those who want to get a cow for the price of a chicken always have a way to pay back.
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by Mudley313: 10:00pm On Jul 26, 2013
ukay2:

pls wchic thread should i follow to know the price of the 2006 toyota corrola...thanks.
The Internet u used in typing this your reply u can use to find the price of any make n model of a car...google is your friend
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by aodey: 10:16pm On Jul 26, 2013
The thing that baffles me with the whole car buying business is the failure of the Nigerian customer in doing simple research on the Internet. America is an open society with information readily available at your fingertips.
Here is my advise to car buyers. First determine what type of car you want and what equipment and features you want with it. This is something a lot of people don’t appreciate. For example the price difference between a 2013 Toyota Highlander and the Limited edition for the same car and year is over $8000. The best place to do the research is www.edmunds.com. You will see all US cars, model and prices there. Then you can check other website such as www.autotrader.com or www.cars.com to view cars for sale by dealers and owners all over the United State. Use any US zip code to do your search. This would give you an idea of what you can afford. Once you have an idea of what you want, make sure you have a few choices if your money is limited. Then contact a reputable dealer. Make sure it is someone you know or you know somebody that can vouch for him or her.
Ask the dealer/broker to give you the landing cost of the car to Lagos. Landing cost is the price of the car + his commission/profit + transportation to a US port + Shipping cost to Lagos. There might be other cost such as taxes and other fees that might have to be included also. Do the clearing your self or ask him/her to recommend a clearing agent in Lagos or for him to find out the clearing cost of the car for you. This is the actual cost of the car. Now shop around in Nigeria. See if it makes sense for you to buy the car in Nigeria or order it from the US. Remember that the whole car buying experience from America will take a minimum of 6 weeks. Average is 2 months from my experience. The whole experience is better when you have an informed buyer so do your homework 1st.
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by searay(m): 10:27pm On Jul 26, 2013
Please in plain language, what is Mileage. Thanks in advs
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by Divinetouch(m): 10:29pm On Jul 26, 2013
BizBooks: In this Twitter age of 140 characters or less, most people (including myself) find it very
difficult to read long posts such as this. So if you do not have the time to read this,
here’s a summary:

1. Many Nigerian car dealers import cars with very high mileage since they are cheaper.
2. Some will not tell you that the car has very high mileage. Rather they will reduce it
drastically.
3. Do not trust the mileage of any tokunbo car you intend to buy in Nigeria. Verify the
mileage yourself via VIN check.

Here in the US, the conventional wisdom is that Nigerians don’t care about high mileage. I
have heard this from American car dealers numerous times. On one occasion, I was
negotiating price with a car dealer in New York. When I complained that the car has a very
high mileage, he asked where I was shipping it to. I replied “Nigeria” and he promptly
said: “Don’t worry. Nigerians don’t care about high mileage”. I have had similar
encounters with dealers in Chicago, Florida among others.

Now, the question is: could it be true that Nigerians don’t care about high mileage? The
answer is obviously no. Nigerians care about high mileage just as much as anybody else.
But then, how did Americans get the impression that we do not care about high mileage? The
answer lies in Nigerians that buy cars from the US for sale in Nigeria. They definitely do
not care about high mileage. In fact they seek such cars because they are much cheaper.
That’s where Americans got the impression that we do not care about high mileage.

At auctions, whenever a car with very high mileage (say 200,000 and above) comes up, the
Americans usually stand back. Nigerian dealers in attendance will then take over the
bidding especially if it is a Toyota or Honda product. I have seen Nigerian dealers buy
cars with 300,000 miles or more.

Now here comes my main reason for starting this thread. Since it has been established that
Nigerian car dealers regularly import cars with 200 or 300,000 miles, why is it that one
never sees a car for sale with 200,000 miles here and elsewhere in Nigeria? The answer is
simple. Once that car with 300,000 miles gets to Lagos, the mileage magically turns to
120,000 or less. That’s why you frequently see 1999 Toyota Camrys with 100,000 miles or
thereabout for sale in Nigeria.

The point I’m trying to make here is one I have made several times in the past. Do not
trust the mileage of any tokunbo car you see in Nigeria especially if it is an older model
car. You can only trust the mileage after you have independently done a VIN check and
verified that the stated mileage is indeed correct.

The practice of reducing the mileage on a car commonly known as odometer rollback is
illegal in the US. Doing so can land one in prison. Before selling a car to somebody, you
have to provide them with a form called Odometer Disclosure Form. On that form you will
indicate the car’s mileage and sign and swear under penalty of perjury that it is correct.
I assume that under the law, it is also illegal to roll back a car’s odometer in Nigeria.
But since that law is not enforced, nobody pays much attention to it. As a result,
odometer rollback is rampant in Nigeria.

Unfortunately, apart from running a VIN check, there is no scientific way of knowing if a
car’s odometer has been rolled back (as far as I know). A good rule of thumb is to
multiply the car’s age by 15,000 (some experts like Siena say 12,000. But let’s use 15,000
since the US is very big in land mass). So for instance to roughly estimate the mileage of
a 2000 model car, do the following:

13 (age of a 2000 model car) multiply by 15,000 = 195,000 miles (give or take a few
thousand).

Suffice it to say that this formula is not scientific. Use it as a general guide. If you
discover that the car’s mileage is much lower than the result of this formula, be cautious.

Disclosure: I also buy cars with very high mileage at auction. In fact, I have bought a
car with 180,000 miles, another with 190,000 miles and yet another with 208,000 miles.
However, I instructed my business partners back in Lagos never to reduce the mileage on my
cars. Unfortunately, I cannot guarantee that they adhere to this instruction since I am
not in Lagos. So treat every car’s mileage including mine with utmost suspicion.

please what's d advantage or disadvantage of high or low mileage cars ? pls someone should educate me
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by jaz(m): 11:01pm On Jul 26, 2013
so how much can one get a 2005 avalon limited from US
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by calculusx(m): 11:14pm On Jul 26, 2013
Divine touch:

please what's d advantage or disadvantage of high or low mileage cars ? pls someone should educate me

[size=18pt]To the best of my knowledge, mileage is just a number and the reason is simply because a low mileage Car, if not properly maintained and serviced regularly will not perform better when compared to a high mileage Car that is properly and regularly maintained.
I have bought and Sold high mileage Cars in the past and I can tell you majority of the high mileage Cars perform better that you may doubt the authenticity of the high miles when compared to how neat some of them are. There is a Popular Car Auction in US that high mileage Cars are sold at higher prices. I have no problem with high mileage Cars so far they are not rolled back so as to know which part to rotate, grease or change at a certain miles. My Opinion
[/size]

https://www.nairaland.com/1118629/automobile-maintenance-menu
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by Emperoh(m): 11:19pm On Jul 26, 2013
Divine touch:

There is no particular disadvantage or advantage
Everything lies with maintenance habit. If a car with 200k miles followed all maintenance procedures, it can still put on another 300k
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by Freddieyankee(m): 11:35pm On Jul 26, 2013
JaaizTech:
I disagree, what some customers want is the truth, in fact what many customers want is just the truth, sit the guy down and tell him, in plain English, if u want XYZ this is d cost, if u want ABC, this is the cost. If you already had a honest reputation, people will believe you. Many customers whom have access to purchase cars in US, on their own, buy over 200k miles for themselves, all they do is verify the condition and take a chance on the car.

Brother we saying same thing, I understand customers want the truth but you really don't understand how stupid some of them will push you... Like the example I gave about the 2010 Nissan versa, would you believe the convinced me to buy it that he knows how much it worth and how he was gonna wire the wire to me ASAP, as soon I told him it was bought he came with a crazy amount saying buying and shipping for 900k naira imagine 42k miles
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by jerryben12: 11:48pm On Jul 26, 2013
redcliff: [size=14pt]everything boils down to Nigerians living abroad who want to make money at all cost at the expense of another's. thats how wicked we are. its really sad[/size]

At times it boils down to most people in Nigeria looking for high end cars and wanting to pay peanuts. Why not but what you can afford?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by chronique(m): 12:44am On Jul 27, 2013
Nice thread. High mileage cars are usually not bad so long as they have been properly maintained. Sometimes,cars with low mileage are not even as sound mechanically as the ones with high mileage(although in very few cases). One thing I've noticed on nairaland is that most buyers on NL are ready to buy stolen vehicles if given a chance. That's why they keep falling victims to those fraudsters who keep advertising cars as custom officers.... In short,I see some of these buyers as potential thieves. They want the best cars at ridiculous prices. Sometimes,I feel they think dealers just pick cars off the streets in europe and america and send down to Nigeria. They even go as far as telling you how much a car should cost(even when they don't know jack about the process of bringing in a car to the country. The sad truth is that most Nigerians don't like hearing the truth. "Quality and quantity do not always walk hand in hand". It even happens with our clearing and forwarding jobs. If you bill customers on normal tarriff that should go to govt,they'd say your price is too high and would prefer to give the job to the man who would underpay the govt and do it cheaper than you. Most car buyers want to eat their cakes and have it. I'd never support any odometer roll back though.
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by bellong: 1:37am On Jul 27, 2013
jaz: so how much can one get a 2005 avalon limited from US

You can send me a pm for the quote so as not to derail this thread nor go against the rules here.
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by babsomotde(m): 1:50am On Jul 27, 2013
I no know. You fit ask google sha!
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by Naijastomosis(m): 1:50am On Jul 27, 2013
Here is what Nigerian think about car mileage:

They are aware that a car with low mileage is desirable but very expensive,

whereas if the mileage is high and the body is good, it is expected to be cheap.

Most Tokunbo cars have been well maintained and driven on very good roads;

this explains the almost-like-new body.

The thinking is that if one can get a Tokunbo with high mileage but good body, one can either

change the piston and rings,etc, or insert another engine. This way, many people are able to own cars.

Or what do you think?
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by ogaibe1(m): 2:13am On Jul 27, 2013
aodey: The thing that baffles me with the whole car buying business is the failure of the Nigerian customer in doing simple research on the Internet. America is an open society with information readily available at your fingertips.
Here is my advise to car buyers. First determine what type of car you want and what equipment and features you want with it. This is something a lot of people don’t appreciate. For example the price difference between a 2013 Toyota Highlander and the Limited edition for the same car and year is over $8000. The best place to do the research is www.edmunds.com. You will see all US cars, model and prices there. Then you can check other website such as www.autotrader.com or www.cars.com to view cars for sale by dealers and owners all over the United State. Use any US zip code to do your search. This would give you an idea of what you can afford. Once you have an idea of what you want, make sure you have a few choices if your money is limited. Then contact a reputable dealer. Make sure it is someone you know or you know somebody that can vouch for him or her.
Ask the dealer/broker to give you the landing cost of the car to Lagos. Landing cost is the price of the car + his commission/profit + transportation to a US port + Shipping cost to Lagos. There might be other cost such as taxes and other fees that might have to be included also. Do the clearing your self or ask him/her to recommend a clearing agent in Lagos or for him to find out the clearing cost of the car for you. This is the actual cost of the car. Now shop around in Nigeria. See if it makes sense for you to buy the car in Nigeria or order it from the US. Remember that the whole car buying experience from America will take a minimum of 6 weeks. Average is 2 months from my experience. The whole experience is better when you have an informed buyer so do your homework 1st.
My man you can advise all u want unfortuntely many nigerians want a car they cant afford so if the see the same car somewhere for a cheaper price they will never believe what you are telling them, so the scrupulous dealers always wins the battle because its all about the price. another thing nigerians do is if the car your selling has a little mark, they will destroy it with thier mouth a tactics so that you can practically give away the car. it goes both ways nobody is completely truthful in this business.
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by AMERICAIMPORTS: 3:34am On Jul 27, 2013
Lets not forget that not all high mileaged cars are really bad. Take for example, a Toyota 4runner with 200,000 thousand miles could still be a good dependable car. There is not a one rule for all here. You can have a car with a low mileage that is less reliable compared to a car with high miles. Again the type of car you are buying also makes a big difference.

Now you can deal with someone on a one and one level. That means you tell me what you are looking for and I go and find it, show it to you through several ways that we have established and let you decide what you want. Contact me at bikojoe@gmail.com and I can help you find any car or truck you want from America.
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by Empiree: 5:06am On Jul 27, 2013
F
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by mafioso47(m): 8:40am On Jul 27, 2013
Waiting For Inspired Autos Comment.
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by viperman: 10:18am On Jul 27, 2013
MY SIMPLE MANTRA IS: Always tell it as it is...someone will always buy it.

Be it clean title, salavaged, flood etc I always try to make sure my customers know the history of the car they are buying n matter how clean/well it has been fixed(in cases of salvaged titles with minor impacts) and let them know the car is that cheap because it has a salvage title. Some will appreciate it, some wont...and many who dont appreciate it still endup going elsewhere to buy salvage cars with terrible impacts. Give your customers the options when buying- Clean title and salvage- and tell them both prices. They will now decide which they want based on their financial strength.
However, even if its going to be a salvage vehicle, make sure its is one with little everyday impact e.g just bumpers, side brush, broken windscreen or maybe just dented fender etc not heavy impacts that affect the inner frame(chasis of the car).

As for Mileage rollback, i feel its not necessary. Just tell the customer the truth. I however know that some clients can be ridiculous on mileages of old cars. Hence we dealers need to make it a point of duty to educate them constantly like this article on MILEAGES:: http://www.viperautos.com/index.php?topic=683.0

However, even after education...I have seen many leave and go into the wild market and still buy rolled back cars. Still do your part and leave the rest to the customer to decide.

www.facebook.com/ViperAutos

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by naaneemene(m): 5:40pm On Jul 27, 2013
Mileage is not always given attention. The concern is it should be in a perfect condition.
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by elektra80: 6:32pm On Jul 27, 2013
Another area where customers need to be educated is the mileage calibration. Cars imported from the USA use miles while those from Canada and most parts of Europe use kilometers. 1 mile =1,6km. Sone customers see a car of 170,000km and think its high mileage, whereas the equivalent in miles is about 105,000 miles.
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by whyyAuto: 8:55pm On Jul 27, 2013
At times mileage does not really matter because some of this cars engine has been replaced to a new engine due to high mailage on the former engine, so checking vin number may not specify everything abut the car. My advice is listening to the sound of the engine ure buying amd confirm the gear 2 on the engine by loading it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Please Advice: What Car Should I Buy For Mom ? / How To Convert My Petrol Engine To Diesel Engine / Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing Company (IVM) Launches An Auto Finance Scheme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.