Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,047 members, 7,799,549 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 April 2024 at 12:49 AM

Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 (17926 Views)

My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema / Genevieve Nnaji Is Featured In 'Half Of A Yellow Sun' Trailer / Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by orgasticdance: 6:05pm On Jul 24, 2013
omar22:

ITS A MOVIE!!!! what has heritage got to do with anything, common guys when are we going to stop nip-picking at everything Forest Whitaker and Kerry Washington sound nothing like an African let alone east african who have very thick African accent, they both got 5 stars! whats with the focus on Thandie atleast she is half African, what about Anika Noni Rose? all am saying the movie wants to sell a Nigerian story to the rest of world and the best we could do is complain and mummur! Common guys if I have £20m to invest into movies about a part of Nigerian History am sorry the key roles has to be played by top dogs of the movie screen. Atleast it takes courage to learn how to speak like an African< I would like to see any of our Nollywood artist mostly Ibo or Yoruba to speak with an Hause accent?

Yes it's another hollywood movie, but I think we should also hold "our" black actors/artists to the same critical optic that other established white actors are held up to. It's not about putting black/african actors down for the mere sake of it, but being critically objective about the finer nuanced points in acting/art that make for great viewing. Olanna(Thandie's character) fluency with her native tongue igbo and her flawless britico english helped shape her development in the book. Yes, thandie and her directors/producers can get away with not portraying this element in the movie cos she's acting for a largely western audience, who will watch with their pockets; but the critic in any average african movie goer is also hoping a hollywood actress with range gets this subtle point about african accents and nails it. No signs from the trailer so far...

1 Like

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by U235weapongrade: 6:05pm On Jul 24, 2013
i hope they went to nsukka to cover those streets/closes she mentioned.....
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by ladygogo: 6:06pm On Jul 24, 2013
CFCfan: Wow! I'm definitely going to watch this movie. The billions of Naira spent on this movie is sure worth it; but the director should have cast actresses like Tonto Dikeh, Genevieve and Rita Dominic.

Gini? No pls. grin grin grin Even though i think Rita Dominic is a good actress.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Afam4eva(m): 6:08pm On Jul 24, 2013
U235weapongrade: i hope they went to nsukka to cover those streets/closes she mentioned.....
There are so many Nsukka streets all over Nigeria.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Ralphjoe(m): 6:12pm On Jul 24, 2013
WOW! From the comment i am seeing here, it's obvious that this movie has match up to the expectation, i really want to watch this thriller, can someone help me with a link to download this thriller to mobile?
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Originalsly: 6:23pm On Jul 24, 2013
Impressive! ... just wondering why Genevieve is not in the trailer...after all...she has a huge following abroad.I can care less about the accents...the target audience is those abroad. To those abroad if you are Black and speak with a foreign accent it means you are either Jamaican or African period...Nigerian, South African, Congolese...don't matter. Forget the accent drama and support the telling of African stories by Africans.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by coogar: 6:29pm On Jul 24, 2013
jackbauersballs: That Houseboy played Moses in 'The Block'

And I'm so looking forward to see Chiwetalu play an Ibo man

moses' name is john boyega - he has a rude face.....very talented young actor.....

Red_Card: we are talking about a reasonable movie here and u are mentioning Nkiru Sylvanus? Wetin u smoke? Pls lets get serious. The trailer is good, lets just pray it doesn't get snubbed @d Oscars 2014 for best foreign film @least even if it's just a nomination. The cast and crew did a good job. Lest I forget, could it be that Genevieve Nnaji's scenes were trully cut off?

as usual, the sarcasm laced in my comment flew over your head. you are a typical nigerian!!!
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by kael: 6:34pm On Jul 24, 2013
I don't understand the people saying this isn't a nollywood movie.
-it has nollywood actors
-it was set mostly in Nigeria, some of the sets were actually created in studio tinapa
- it is mainly funded by Nigerians
- Nigerians are part of the Crew
- it tells a nigerian story written by a nigerian writer
....what else do you want.

1 Like

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by ozoemeka(m): 6:42pm On Jul 24, 2013
WOW. Nice!

manchy7531:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wF4wU6HuUk&feature=youtu.be

can wait to lay my hands on a copy. Enjoy!!
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by somegirl1: 6:50pm On Jul 24, 2013
Ikengawo:

so this book, milestone achievement in Nigerian, Igbo and black history, and clearly well made movie should be denounced by Nigerians because of what? an accent? Now we've done something wrong abi?

I have a major problem with the accents.
Good actors should learn accents and should be convincing. Non Africans like to believe we all speak the same, sound alike and look alike. Makes life easy for them especially foreign directors of African movies.
These same people would get offended when their accents are faked incorrectly.
Mel Gibson's and Russell Crowe's attempts at Scottish and Nottinghamshire accents respectively were criticized, although theirs were errors that would go unnoticed by those who aren't familiar with the accents.
Thandie and Noni Rose didn't even make any attempt to sound Nigerian. They seemed to have decided that any accent they could manage that sounded remotely African would suffice.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by somegirl1: 6:54pm On Jul 24, 2013
stillwater: Thandie's accent is alright. Remember her character is British trained, so her accent is british/Igbo.

Sounded more south African than Igbo or British. I'm expecting to cringe when she and Noni Rose attempt the few Igbo words from the book. I'm half hoping they were scrapped altogether.

1 Like

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by coogar: 6:55pm On Jul 24, 2013
some-girl:

I have a major problem with the accents.
Good actors should learn accents and should be convincing. Non Africans like to believe we all speak the same, sound alike and look alike. Makes life easy for them especially foreign directors of African movies.
These same people would get offended when their accents are faked incorrectly.
Mel Gibson's and Russell Crowe's attempts at Scottish and Nottinghamshire accents respectively were criticized, although theirs were errors that would go unnoticed by those who aren't familiar with the accents.
Thandie and Noni Rose didn't even make any attempt to sound Nigerian. They seemed to have decided that any accent they could manage that sounded remotely African would suffice.

the target audience won't know the difference and that's the most important thing. who cares if the accent is not igbotic? how would the investment generate profit if nonso diobi and chioma chukwuka were the main actors all because you want to preserve the igbo accent??
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Nobody: 6:57pm On Jul 24, 2013
shocked shocked smiley
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by somegirl1: 6:58pm On Jul 24, 2013
coogar:

the target audience won't know the difference and that's the most important thing. who cares if the accent is not igbotic? how would the investment generate profit if nonso diobi and chioma chukwuka were the main actors all because you want to preserve the igbo accent??

what part of my post suggested that I had a problem with the actors and their accents not being "Igbo"??
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Nobody: 7:00pm On Jul 24, 2013
ekwah:

You my friend, are the biggest Ignoramus I have encountered yet.
Clearly, you are the one who is very confused here. You better you wake up from your slumber now?! or else.... undecided
shocked shocked

Phillip!! Is this you?? Someone musta hijacked ur identity, u couldn't possibly be this mean sad
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by coogar: 7:01pm On Jul 24, 2013
some-girl:

what part of my post suggested that I had a problem with the actors and their accents not being "Igbo"??

if the story is about biafra, in what accent would you expect them to speak? hausa or wollof?
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by somegirl1: 7:04pm On Jul 24, 2013
coogar:

if the story is about biafra, in what accent would you expect them to speak? hausa or wollof?

Manufacturing information is a major reason people fail comprehension tests. You are the one who just suggested that the accents should be Igbo.
Read my post again.... take your time this time.

1 Like

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Nobody: 7:06pm On Jul 24, 2013
some-girl:

Manufacturing information is a major reason people fail comprehension tests. You are the one who just suggested that the accents should be Igbo.
shocked shocked Bwahahahahaha grin grin grin lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by coogar: 7:08pm On Jul 24, 2013
some-girl:

i don't need to read your post a second time unless you don't even have a grasp of what you wrote. you want the actors to speak with the correct accent which is igbo.

you cited the case of mel gibson and russell crowe getting criticised because they couldn't cut it with the scottish or the nottinghamshire accent.

what else could you have meant?
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by manny4life(m): 7:10pm On Jul 24, 2013
coogar:

i don't need to read your post a second time unless you don't even have a grasp of what you wrote. you want the actors to speak with the correct accent which is igbo.

you cited the case of mel gibson and russell crowe getting criticised because they couldn't cut it with the scottish or the nottinghamshire accent.

what else could you have meant?

Bros, I think you misunderstood her..

Here is the last part she wrote, she was stressing about the "Nigerian Accent", and not the Igbo accent.

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by somegirl1: 7:12pm On Jul 24, 2013
manny4life:

Here is the last part she wrote, she was stressing about the "Nigerian Accent", and not the Igbo accent.

May you be blessed.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by coogar: 7:14pm On Jul 24, 2013
manny4life:

then she's confused....

robin hood was about a bandit in nottingham and she cited the example of russell crowe getting hammered for not speaking in their accent. half of the yellow sun is an igbo story - it then implies she had a problem with their accent because the actors couldn't speak in igbo accent.

there's nothing called african accent....
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by somegirl1: 7:16pm On Jul 24, 2013
coogar:

then she's confused....

robin hood was about a bandit in nottingham and she cited the example of russell crowe getting hammered for not speaking in their accent. half of the yellow sun is an igbo story - it then implies she had a problem with their accent because the actors couldn't speak in igbo accent.

Help somebody! Anybody!
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by coogar: 7:19pm On Jul 24, 2013
some-girl:

Help somebody! Anybody!

never mind....
your point, whether somali or algerian accent, is a moot point. the target audience cannot tell us apart. half of america think africa is a country so it's no biggie. the people who would know the difference are nigerians and majority of them would buy the pirated copy of the movie.....
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by manny4life(m): 7:21pm On Jul 24, 2013
coogar:

then she's confused....

Haba, you never give up.. Btw, Robin Hood was a good movie.

That it's an Igbo story doesn't mean she wanted the cast to be Igbo, all she was saying like you reiterated robin hood and Russell crowe, the both of them could have at least tried to portray a Nigerian accent.

As for "African Accent", I don't know about you, but African have their own accent. Ghanians speak totally different from Nigerians, and Sierra Leone speak differently from Cameroonians. Even me sef can identify who a Ghanian and Cameroonian is from their accent.

I believe her argument was simply that they just tried to speak anything African as supposed to something Nigerian.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by coogar: 7:30pm On Jul 24, 2013
manny4life:
Haba, you never give up.. Btw, Robin Hood was a good movie. That it's an Igbo story doesn't mean she wanted the cast to be Igbo, all she was saying like you reiterated robin hood and Russell crowe, the both of them could have at least tried to portray a Nigerian accent.

i never said she wanted them to be igbo but she wanted them to speak the igbo accent as the story was set in igbo.

As for "African Accent", I don't know about you, but African have their own accent. Ghanians speak totally different from Nigerians, and Sierra Leone speak differently from Cameroonians. Even me sef can identify who a Ghanian and Cameroonian is from their accent.

is there a language called "african"? if there's none then how can you have an african accent?

I believe her argument was simply that they just tried to speak anything African as supposed to something Nigerian.

if that's what she meant then she did a horrible job getting her message across. she didn't need the "robin hood" example then as it's the wrong analogy.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by manny4life(m): 7:41pm On Jul 24, 2013
coogar:

i never said she wanted them to be igbo but she wanted them to speak the igbo accent as the story was set in igbo.

Well, that's not what I deducted from her, she NEVER wanted them to speak in Igbo accents, but at least try and speak the Nigerian accent. If you're still persistent on the Igbo thingy, well to each their own...

coogar:

is there a language called "african"? if there's none then how can you have an african accent?

You're seriously very funny, did language fall from the sky? Aren't there people who are Africans, Europeans, Asians, etc who created their "LANGUAGE"? I don't get your logic sometimes, Asians, Europeans, Africans, Caribbeans, Middle easterners, etc have their own accent. Language like in Nigeria, we speak English (universal language), but the way I speak my own English is not the same way a Ghanian will speak the same English. So no, language is totally different from accent, you don't need language to speak an accent.

For instance I'm trying to learn Spanish, when I'm done, my Spanish accent will be way different from the Hispanics. Even in the Hispanic race, the Puerto Ricans speak differently from Mexicans, YET, it's the same Spanish language but with different accents to it.

coogar:

if that's what she meant then she did a horrible job getting her message across. she didn't need the "robin hood" example then as it's the wrong analogy.

Coogar, ahh... I know you can argue. Though wrong to you, you suppose understand what she's talking about. Anyway sha, me sef I'm done with this argument because accent or not, this movie is absolutely awesome for a trivial issue like accent to ruin it.

1 Like

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Afam4eva(m): 7:44pm On Jul 24, 2013
manny4life:
oogar, ahh... I know you can argue. Though wrong to you, you suppose understand what she's talking about. Anyway sha, me sef I'm done with this argument because accent or not, this movie is absolutely awesome for a trivial issue like accent to ruin it.
Lol grin grin grin
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by coogar: 7:54pm On Jul 24, 2013
manny4life:
Well, that's not what I deducted from her, she NEVER wanted them to speak in Igbo accents, but at least try and speak the Nigerian accent. If you're still persistent on the Igbo thingy, well to each their own...

ok wait...
robin hood movie, russell crowe spoke in british accent and got hammered because his accent wasn't even close to the core nottinghamshire accent - even though he spoke like britons generally do.

if our lady here is mad about the cast in this movie, then it must be because they did not speak like igbos do. just like nottingham is a subset of england, igbo is a subset of nigeria. can you now see the perfect analogy and why a quantitative analyst like me can spot the flaw?

You're seriously very funny, did language fall from the sky? Aren't there people who are Africans, Europeans, Asians, etc who created their "LANGUAGE"? I don't get your logic sometimes, Asians, Europeans, Africans, Caribbeans, Middle easterners, etc have their own accent. Language like in Nigeria, we speak English (universal language), but the way I speak my own English is not the same way a Ghanian will speak the same English. So no, language is totally different from accent, you don't need language to speak an accent.

does every language not have it's own accent?

For instance I'm trying to learn Spanish, when I'm done, my Spanish accent will be way different from the Hispanics. Even in the Hispanic race, the Puerto Ricans speak differently from Mexicans, YET, it's the same Spanish language but with different accents to it.

you are now making my point. in what accent could this people have spoken so as not to get criticised like russell crowe did in robin hood? there's no in-between - its an igbo story and so only the igbo accent can cut the cheese for a purist like some-girl!

Coogar, ahh... I know you can argue. Though wrong to you, you suppose understand what she's talking about. Anyway sha, me sef I'm done with this argument because accent or not, this movie is absolutely awesome for a trivial issue like accent to ruin it.

some-girl disagrees with you.....the movie isn't great as far as she's concerned cos the cast did not do their homework by speaking like chiwetalu agu or nkem owoh!
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Nobody: 7:54pm On Jul 24, 2013
African accent, Nigerian accent, Igbo accent blah blah.

Have you got any B/C-list actress good enough to take Thandie Newton's place?

The only actress of naija origin who's close, Sophie Okonedo, had other commitments to a bigger budget movie called; After Earth.

If you don't like the accent, you might as well go get your medieval nollywood actors and their ancient cameras to shoot a remix. undecided

1 Like

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by coogar: 7:57pm On Jul 24, 2013
shymexx: African accent, Nigerian accent, Igbo accent blah blah.

Have you got any B/C-list actress good enough to take Thandie Newton's place?

The only actress of naija origin who's close, Sophie Okonedo, had other commitments to a bigger budget movie called; After Earth.

If you don't like the accent, you might as well go get your medieval nollywood actors and their ancient cameras to shoot a remix. undecided

sophie okonedo is a very good actress - she killed it in hotel rwanda!
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Nobody: 8:03pm On Jul 24, 2013
coogar:

sophie okonedo is a very good actress - she killed it in hotel rwanda!

I know - but she had other commitments. However, is there any other naija actress on Thandie's level in Hollywood? Bear in mind that people sponsored the movie and they're looking to make profits as well - hence why they went for the big names.

Sophie isn't Tutsi but Rwandans never complained about her role in Hotel Rwanda.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Stephanie Nnadi Bags Double Award As Entertainment Personality, Best Talented Ma / Emmanuel Evicted From The Big Brother House / Your Favorite Nigerian Movies?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.