Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,185 members, 7,807,617 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:17 PM

Being A Nigerian In Kenya - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Being A Nigerian In Kenya (12682 Views)

How To Become A Nigerian In 15 Easy Steps By Mayo Bayo / A Chinese Restaurant In Kenya That Does Not Admit Africans After 5.00pm / Northern Kenya | Culture And People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Being A Nigerian In Kenya by Corli: 10:12am On Jul 24, 2013
I am writing this from Nairobi, Kenya. You can see it as warning of oppression. Being a Nigerian and staying here illegally is a crime in Kenya. Talking or walking like a Nigerian is crime in Kenya.

This is someone who lived in this country for more than two decades and acquired properties and made transactions for all this decades in his name. How on earth in a democratic country don't you need every documentation before having accounts and properties.

The reason why I am writing this is to inform you that all Nigerians travelling through or coming to Kenya should be careful of the high level of harassment of Nigerians in Kenya. Some have even been taken to unknown prisons.

Read more at News24!

http://www.news24.com.ng/MyNews24/Being-a-Nigerian-in-Kenya-20130629
Re: Being A Nigerian In Kenya by pendo89(f): 11:26pm On Sep 14, 2013
Never seen cops harassing the innocent ones. It's only those with suspicious activities that get caught.
If you are here legally why fear?

1 Like

Re: Being A Nigerian In Kenya by Beey(f): 5:31am On Jan 08, 2014
I Nigerians who are living peacefully in Kenya.Some of the most popular pastors in Nairobi right now are a Nigerian couple, Pastors Prince and Esther Obasi-Ike with Pastor Esther having several awards to her name.Dr Sam Otis is incharge if infection control & other Nigerians as well who are living peacefully in Kenya.They even have Naija nights in Nairobi.The Kenyan government only pursues those involved in suspicious activities.

2 Likes

Re: Being A Nigerian In Kenya by Hbuyosh(m): 7:38am On Jan 08, 2014
You've clearly stated there that u are living here illegaly, indeed you have every reason to be afraid. But please don't try to suggest that such 'harrasments' are exclusive only to Nigerians, that's a big lie. Too many illegal immigrants mostly from such countries as Ethiopia, Somalia, Sudan, DR Congo, etc, persons from Europe or Asia who stay here and are engaging in unspecified activities are rounded up here almost daily, charged then deported back to their respective countries. It's not just Nigerians.
Not intending to induce outrage, Naijas (and the Congolese) have attained a notoriety of sorts thru out e. Africa. They are synonymus with shady activities such as smuggling (esp of drugs), forgery, washed up money etc.
But we welcome u into our country as long as u follow the laid out rules of getting here and if u don't intend to engage in any unlawful activies.

You claim that 'talking and walking here like a Nigerian is a crime', how and why? Please stop spreading such malicious lie in order to poison Nigerians' minds against Kenyans, that is wrong.
To the other Naijas intending to visit Kenya;
KARIBUNI KENYA, Lakini msije na hizo matata zenu hapa.

2 Likes

Re: Being A Nigerian In Kenya by Africa4Africans: 11:56am On Jan 10, 2014
Nigerians like all black African people are welcome in Kenya! I have been in Nairobi and they are very welcoming. Ignore the self-hating ones who kiss up to Europeans or other non-phenotypically black people. Most Kenyans care only about two things: (1) treat them with respect; (2) be rich. If you have both you will enjoy yourself. If you are not rich though you may be treated poorly, just like any poor Kenyan. Kenyans are also somewhat jealous of Nigerians and Congolese because your culture and population figures are so dominating-many Kenyans are afraid Nigerian movies and music will take over Kenya, and Congolese music. But that is natural nationalism and nothing against you guys personally. Everyone should have pride in their nation and roots as long as its respectful. Kenyans always feel a kinship to Nigerians and Ghanaians due to similar politics, etc. especially. Karibuni Kenya and feel free. Unity of phenotypically black people is key. Abibifahodie! (African Liberation!). Also yes do not stay illegally because Kenya is suffering from many illegal immigrants from refugees from all the conflicts in the region in past 30 years: Rwanda, Congo, Somalia, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Uganda, Burundi, South Sudan - whew! So Kenyans are sensitive of that too. Abibifahodie! (Complete African Liberation!).
Re: Being A Nigerian In Kenya by Hbuyosh(m): 5:03pm On Jan 10, 2014
Africa4Africans: Nigerians like all black African people are welcome in Kenya! I have been in Nairobi and they are very welcoming. Ignore the self-hating ones who kiss up to Europeans or other non-phenotypically black people. Most Kenyans care only about two things: (1) treat them with respect; (2) be rich. If you have both you will enjoy yourself. If you are not rich though you may be treated poorly, just like any poor Kenyan. Kenyans are also somewhat jealous of Nigerians and Congolese because your culture and population figures are so dominating-many Kenyans are afraid Nigerian movies and music will take over Kenya, and Congolese music. But that is natural nationalism and nothing against you guys personally. Everyone should have pride in their nation and roots as long as its respectful. Kenyans always feel a kinship to Nigerians and Ghanaians due to similar politics, etc. especially. Karibuni Kenya and feel free. Unity of phenotypically black people is key. Abibifahodie! (African Liberation!). Also yes do not stay illegally because Kenya is suffering from many illegal immigrants from refugees from all the conflicts in the region in past 30 years: Rwanda, Congo, Somalia, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Uganda, Burundi, South Sudan - whew! So Kenyans are sensitive of that too. Abibifahodie! (Complete African Liberation!).
Kenyan's don't really envy Nigerians and the Congolese. Rather they're viewed here as loud, extravagant, arrogant and (shh, scammers), thus the mistrust. However, Nigerians are elevated on a higher pedestal than the Congolese, most of whom live here as refugees, taken care of by the govt and some aid organizations.
You can't easily find Nigerians in our slums like the guys from Congo.
I have heard some Kenyans comment, ''hey, they show off a lot around here yet their country is...''
So, they are viewed with very little dignity.
Also, Kenyans view on Nigeria is pretty much similar to Nigeria's view on India. That large, very rich, over-populated country full of destitutes...
I'm not intending to insult anybody here, it's just the way it is, you know.

3 Likes

Re: Being A Nigerian In Kenya by chimaamaechi17: 9:39pm On Jan 10, 2015
@africa4africa, l plan relocating to Kenya... Hw do l relocate legally? I want to live in Kenya as a legal immigrant...

2 Likes

Re: Being A Nigerian In Kenya by NRIPRIEST(m): 5:49am On Jan 12, 2015
I love Kenya because they are great people and yes Nigerians are very poor yet arrogant,criminal minded and proud....it stinks to high heavens. Everybody feel the same way about Nigeria yet they think they are giant of Africa.

1 Like

Re: Being A Nigerian In Kenya by Nobody: 12:05pm On Jan 13, 2015
Kenyans dont have a problem with Nigerians or any other African country. So long us you do not engage in al-shaabab related activities.

Police arrests young men who are idlers, night walkers, drunkards and who have suspicious looks, many of them Kenyan so if you are caught up in that, young men especially, have your ID or passport and be respectful to the police.
Re: Being A Nigerian In Kenya by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jan 13, 2015
Corli:
I am writing this from Nairobi, Kenya. You can see it as warning of oppression. Being a Nigerian and staying here illegally is a crime in Kenya. Talking or walking like a Nigerian is crime in Kenya.

This is someone who lived in this country for more than two decades and acquired properties and made transactions for all this decades in his name. How on earth in a democratic country don't you need every documentation before having accounts and properties.

The reason why I am writing this is to inform you that all Nigerians travelling through or coming to Kenya should be careful of the high level of harassment of Nigerians in Kenya. Some have even been taken to unknown prisons.

Read more at News24!

http://www.news24.com.ng/MyNews24/Being-a-Nigerian-in-Kenya-20130629
That was a notorious drug lord.

1 Like

Re: Being A Nigerian In Kenya by Nobody: 12:15pm On Jan 13, 2015
chimaamaechi17:
@africa4africa, l plan relocating to Kenya... Hw do l relocate legally? I want to live in Kenya as a legal immigrant...
I believe there is a renewable residential visa. There is a Kenyan embassy in Abuja or some where.
Re: Being A Nigerian In Kenya by LadyX(f): 3:49pm On Jan 13, 2015
You can contact the Kenya embassy in Abuja, as someone suggested.

Or

You can follow this link http://www.immigration.go.ke/Information.html
, read and probably email them. It deals with immigration and registration of persons. Good luck

chimaamaechi17:
Re: Being A Nigerian In Kenya by Rafikizolo: 9:19pm On Jan 13, 2015
That's not true. Only scammers, con artists and drug smugglers get treated like that. While I would agree that there is a stereotype of Nigerians being crooks and untrustworthy in Kenya, it's really more of an unfriendly stereotype that's seen as more of a joke. Most Kenyans (at least in Nairobi, I can't speak for other places) will treat you with respect and be very interested in doing business with you.

The biggest secret in Kenya is that we Kenyans actually love Nigerian culture, fashion and music. It's far more popular amongst the urban population than local Kenyan music, and the movies are a guilty pleasure for many.

(1) (Reply)

Oba Of Modakeke, Olatunji Adedoyin Dead / List Of OLUBADAN Of Ibadan From 1820 To 2016, They Are 39 In Number…. / K'anyị Lebanye Anya Na Agwụgwa Igbo(riddles) Tara Akpụ, Maa Kọwaa Uru Ha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.